Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Tell us about your mother.

mine is a lot like byers mom only mine makes less sense most of the time than thinking a pile of christmas lights is her son talking to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have opinions about this now that it's finished.

I liked it quite a bit. I felt like it managed to feel like it was set in the eighties but didn't feel indulgent about it for the most part.

I mean I guess some parts were. There was no reason for Nancy's love triangle with two horrible possible boyfriends beyond playing to eighties plot conventions. A few other parts like that, but it mostly felt like a modern story with some eighties conventions.
(I don't know why you'd complain about the references to LOTR and DnD and all that when they're all made by small children. Well, and Mr. Clarke but come on now, he's a few brief fun scenes. Look, I was a small child back then but I can remember that if you were a nerd that was what you were into, so it felt fine to me.)

I do have some problems and questions though.
Like "Hawkins Electric" behaves kind of inconsistently, and the central paranormal mystery has some inconsistencies between how it's presented early on and how its rules are established once we know what it is.
Usually that would be the kind of thing I'd go "don't think too hard about it" but the these things are central mysteries that you feel like you're supposed to think about and try to figure out the rules before they're established. Feels a little misleading or something.

I also kind of want to know if anyone else thought the villains would not be human. There even seems to be a hint about this in the first episode when "papa" walks by the radio and interferes with the signal... many urban legends about Men In Black say they are not human. But in the end they're people, just very unemotional ones. I kind of wanted to know more about them, as the main villain seemed like a pretty odd person and I want to know what he really wanted out of this operation. I feel like the treatment of these villains is a huge problem.

I guess I'm mostly somewhat disappointed by the ending (HUGE SPOILERS FOR LAST EPISODE) killing El off with the monster felt cheap. Yes it will probably be undone in season 2. That makes it kind of worse. I don't really see why the monster had to be more powerful than an entire army either, other than "we wrote ourselves into a corner and don't know how to get rid of the villains... guess, we can just have the end of Nancy's arc be a pointless effort". And killing the villains off so that we won't be able to learn what the hell their deal was in season 2 annoys me as well.

I'm guess I'm a little confused about why Hopper gets in the car in the end. What was that? One month later things are just back to normal for him. What was the purpose of that scene?

Anyway, I think I would've preferred a shorter, cleaner story but it's a fun time for the most part.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 16, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If someone is dumb/delusional enough to think a Netflix show is real how will that part of the website help
It's so consescending

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Blue Train posted:

because its bad to like bad things :confused:

oh yes, it's totally NOT pathetic to just let some random fuckhead on the internet I'll never meet and probably never want to tell me what to like or not instead of deciding for myself. "I used to take showers daily but a gbs poster said that's BAD so I'll never shower now so I won't like BAD THINGS"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Laurenz posted:

Is it weird if I wasn't even alive during the 1980's, yet I REALLY like this show?

I even get nostalgia from some of it, like when they ride around the neighborhoods on their bikes. Reminds me of my childhood.

it's incredibly weird and i'm calling the police right now

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I can't believe film crit hulk is still a thing, it feels like I first heard about him years and years ago, like before YouTube was a thing

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a term that refers to which characters you want to see end up in poo poo

EDIT: A lot of drama and television revolves around people's interest in "making GBS threads" because "will they get poo poo?" has proven to be the cornerstone for a massive chunk of drama for a large portion of the population since the dawn of time.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

someone poo poo me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

• Locked thread