Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
It felt like a really good X-Files episode where Moulder and Scully never show up, but luckily local law enforcement happens to be competent.

And all them kids were good actors.

Germstore posted:

I'm glad the hottie got with the cool rear end Tunnel Snakes guy instead of the goonie weirdo.

Giving that character an actual arc and bending it toward creating empathy was a very good choice by the writers. The goony older brother being a bit of a skeez was also a good choice by the to keep him from becoming a lovely mary-sue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pawn 17 posted:

It started off a little *meh* but picked up steam really quickly to the point I couldn't stop watching. Hope we get a season 2!

Also am I the only one who thought Winona did a horrible job acting? The kids, the teens and the sheriff were great but every time Winona was on screen I cringed a little bit.

She played horribly frazzled mom on the verge of losing it super close to reality. I think she did a very good job with the character. Not as good as the scummy absentee father though, that guy hit every single note

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's good. They really nailed exactly what they were going for.

Steve stole the show.

Kid playing Dustin did a really good job capturing "Dumb, happy kid in 1980-1994"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

he was not dumb! he knew all about magnetic fields!!!

Yeah but he was way too happy about pudding. Only tards get that happy about school-puddin

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

it was chocolate pudding though and he didn't have teeth

You have a pretty good point there

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yeah I checked to make sure they weren't the same dude a few times

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

smack632 posted:

Nope it's Bojack Horseman

No that show is a scrub tier Archer knock off

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Science teacher's slam piece was pretty

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beautiful. This must be what Columbus felt like when he set his eyes on all those dumb soon-to-be-slaves on the idyllic beaches of the West Indies, just knowing he's gonna be rich as hell

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ROFLburger posted:

ya okay great but whats the story about for the other 459 minutes whats the conflict?

read a book idiot

The interpersonal stress that this brings, especially when Mike has to come to terms with the object of his affections being a major part of the problem or when Will's mom has to deal with the fact that her son came back different than what she lost

The whole things is ripe with drama just waiting in the wings in a sensible and logical flow. Hell, they can even throw in some good John Hughes drama/self discovery with Nancy, John and the other kids at the high school and then put that on it's head by spinning some Carpenter in to it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

City of Tampa posted:

I hope that Will gradually gains control of his ability to switch between dimensions but then realizes that he's also slowly transforming into a Demigorgon.

The theory that Ele is the demogorgon, as it is a reflection of her anger/rage from the upsidedown made manifest would play really well with this. Have Will's demo mutilate his scumbag father and watch him try to cope with what happened, but the grief and shame just make it more powerful and more blood thirsty

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

I hope hopper and Winona hook up next season

They've probably hooked up in the past. There's a part where two deputies are talking about the two having a previous association

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

they're tards though

Yeah, but the black deputy had a very knowing look on his face about it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Also I am pumped for the RLM guys to be reviewing it soon. I'm almost certain that this is the first time a (not on)TV show has made them feel the desire to review it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

AWWNAW posted:

i got bored late at night and started the first episode thinking it'd probably suck b/c everything sucks

it didn't suck, i watched 6 episodes in the first sitting

I think the greatest feeling in this post modern world is when you cynically approach something and it turns out to actually be wonderful

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

im gay posted:

why did hopper tell the CIA where the kids were

Maybe because he was desperate. Maybe because he figured the kids were crafty enough to get away, maybe because he saw what Ele could do and realized they most likely weren't a real threat to her or maybe because he figured they could actually protect the kids from tulip face

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Imperative thing to remember: The only person who ever wore anything flattering in the eighties was Kelly Bundy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Millie posted:

She was the token fat girl of the 80s. They didn't have curvy lard balls with condishuns like we do now.

Thyroids hadn't been invented yet

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

to be fair the CIA is goddamn stupid

just look at MK Ultra and Frank Olsen

They can also be pretty whimsical https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

But they even said that the Stranger Things lab was an offshoot from Ultra, as Ele's mom was an MK Ultra subject

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Monomythian posted:

I don't like how different the last episode was tonely compared to the rest of the season, the monster uncharactistically just threw itself at groups of people, I suppose they wanted to go out on more of a bang.

It was an injured and angry animal protecting it's home or its the mental anguish of Elle projected as a physical being. Either way, makes sense it would lash out the way it did when it did

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

spudsbuckley posted:

Your discussion is retarded and your analysis is pointless.

"hey guys, why wasn't the upside-down like X, Y and Z??????"
"the show should have had more whatever!!!!!!!!!"
""maybe the next season will do this............"

All of this is stupid and pointless and the people engaging in it are retarded.

Thing exists and is good. Enjoy thing instead of wanking yourselves into oblivion over what it could've, should've been whilst trying to write the second season to match your hosed up fanfic.

Man, ever think that, like, EVERYTHING is pointless?! *smokes a pot weed*

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Guys, guys...

Ever think that like, TV shows ever really happened so, like. What's the point of watching them?

Also, what is fun?

Baby don't post here

Don't Post here

No more

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

spudsbuckley posted:

It can't be changed. It's done. It is a thing that exists.

Was this what your mom would say during parent teacher meetings or something?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Frosted Flake posted:

Barb cleans up good.

She does but them hips were not CGI

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGDHoWKsCbF/?taken-by=shannonpurser&hl=en

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

you guys are assholes

hips like those are for hard fuckin'

Whoa, I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just saying our girl got some pretty solid rear end game

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

well you're not an rear end in a top hat then. you are an assman. totally different.

I'm more of a titty fella, but beauty if beauty, even when it's booty

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

notZaar posted:

Unless she was wearing a fat suit then it's still a bad nerd body, like all of us have.

Like I said earlier, in the 80s, the only person who dressed properly for their body type was Kelly Bundy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
YEAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lMOsdHhqio

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

I just mean like the town's response was basically nonexistent, a week after Will just disappeared. For a small town in the 80s that seems odd is all.

I didn't dislike it or anything.

They did a candle light vigil at the school and had lots of volunteers looking for Will. They claimed Barb had just run away and faked some evidence

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

Right that's why it was weird that the Barb disappearance was taken at face value and no one was going 'idk seems connected to me Sheriff should I be worried for my kids here did she actually run away or... ?' Like I don't even remember her parents really being upset or anything?

just sayin' it felt a little odd is all geez. I still liked the show but I was definitely thinking at one point 'haha no one gives a poo poo about Barb' before I ever saw any discussion about it online

I wasn't arguing against you, I was presenting evidence that they tried to use to hand wave it but still showed disparity as you had stated

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

Oh well my bad :downs:

Eh, as much poo poo as you catch here I can see why you'd go on the defensive. You're alright, man

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Someone do a recut where all the music and sound effects are replace with ones from scooby-doo

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vols bitch posted:

i would have liked it better if it was the wire

This post is a mayonnaise and bologna sandwich on white bread with crinkle cut fries and ranch on the side with a tall glass of yoohoo

PS Go dawgs (to another disappointing season because we got rid of a coach that was producing despite terrible injuries)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

psychokitty posted:

wtf are you even on about nm idc

White people love the wire

vols bitch posted:

is this a new doobie item

at the very least it is his favorite lunch

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I went from hoping he got his skull caved in to liking him more than the other dude actually.

I like how this show is steeped in 80s feel but yet subverts 80s tropes (jock kid turns out to be chill, the goodie 2 shoes no sex haver gets killed while the teens gently caress, etc.)

Also, the black kid didn't die

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

fits my needs posted:

it looks like gay 80s poo poo engineered to appeal to the nostalgia of 35 year old goons who write really long posts about stuff that happened to them when they were in elementary school

Nothing loses you goon cred faster than admitting you enjoyed your childhood, family life and made friends and used those foundations to become a happy, productive adult

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

I was born in '90, came to the US in '92.

THIS is why we need Trump, guys. He could have stopped this

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Moridin920 posted:

but my family started a business which generates a lot of tax money and provides well paying American jobs?

Trump will stop that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The Protagonist posted:

Please. We all know what becomes of child actors. How lifetime success stories are there?

These days they seem to fair much better if they avoid trying to become a singer

• Locked thread