Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

in the middle of the third episode I got really bored. It seemed like it was banking on nostalgia so much they didn't need to actually try hard to create interesting characters or a compelling story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Tried watching more.

Show seems like it's just throwing its weight around, trying desperately to make you FEEL BIG THINGS without it actually making sense in the story. They cross-cut between different situations where its not appropriate, they have intrusive music gaudy music, they constantly tell uis rather than show us things about the characters...

All of this doesn't add up to a terrible show, but it adds up to a pointless one. Not ganna poo poo on anyone who enjoyed it but while I was watching I was constantly thinking "so what?"

Good article here pointing up some examples of this:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/31/the-strange-motivations-of-stranger-things

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

AWWNAW posted:

Mayhaps my friend spend a moment in pursuit of enjoying a thing rather than analyzing it to death. Tally ho, chap!

We just enjoy things in different ways dude. I'm not saying my shows are better, or you're dumb for liking the show, or that I'm a "superior tv watcher" (because that's pathetic) or anything like that. We just like shows for different reasons is all! It's all good buddy.

Junkfist posted:

MAYBE PERSON WHO ROLEPLAY AS COMIC BOOK CHARACTER FOR CHILDREN KNOWN AS HULK NOT BEST INTERPRETER OF GOOD STORY THAT AUDIENCE LIKE.

He's a professional screenwriter who takes on a silly role because sometimes he critiques things that would not be a smart career move to attach his name to. The joke is dumb but it is also there to illicit an air of humility - you're literally getting the joke of "I'm a dumb guy who talks in dumb caps so don't be upset I don't like your show". I mean good job refuting his points I guess?

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 3, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if someone wants me to refute their points they probably shouldn't chose the single stupidest way to articulate those points and then present them in a way that is painful to read

It's weird because if you like Stranger Things you should be used to people loudly exclaiming their thoughts and emotions directly at you without a trace of relatable human behavior.

j/k

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You meant to say "elicit." Your misuse of language has now rendered your opinion completely worthless. :smug:

gently caress, NO!! NO IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! I CAN EDIT IT! FUUUUUCCKKKKKK!!!!

This isn't the last you've seen of meeeeeeeeee

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 4, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Saul Goode posted:

Audience knows something that characters don't, therefore bad scene. Gotcha.

That's literally not what he is saying. He is saying the scene is being played with an emotional sincerity that isn't warranted if you've been paying attention to the show - what reason does the audience have to feel sad, knowing that the assumption the characters are making is wrong?

Dmitri-9 posted:

The scene reflects the hopelessness that the characters feel. Everyone thought that they might be able to save Will but then a corpse shows up. There is no dramatic irony because the audience doesn't know Will is alive untill Elle suggests otherwise, he could be a ghost, he could be a time echo, he could be in Hell. If you said "wait what?" every 5 minuntes when you watched this show you might not be very smart. What is confusing or inconsistent about Elle's powers? They work the same way they do in episode 4 as they do in episode 8.

This is a fair point though. Like, it's totally not fair to assume everyone has guessed/gotten what a specific viewer has. I dunno how overt or obvious anyone might think they'd made the kid's fate.

Saul Goode posted:

Questions of mystery were not heightened despite admitting the show's aim was mysteriousness. Gotcha.

This is again, not what he's saying. He is saying that her development is vague - ie what she wants and understands - but that that lack of understanding etc., was not a part of the dramatic narrative. You can refute/argue this point, though, it still ain't a perfect argument. I just felt you were oversimplifying what he was saying.

Saul Goode posted:

Two paragraphs earlier the show was too vague for us to know anything, but because it's good for his rant he now knows exactly as much information as he needs to make a stupid point.

This isn't a refutation of that specific point and is in fact kinda rubbish matet. Believe it or not it is entirely possible for a vague show (or even just a show that is vague about certain important elements) to have clear rules, or established fact. It's not like if A and B are underexplained then C must also be.

Eh

Saul Goode posted:

HULK NOT STIMULATE HIMSELF TO COMPLETION EVERY FIVE MINUTES LIKE WHEN HULK WATCH BREAKING BAD, THIS SHOW SUCKS.

breaking bad definitely sucks

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 4, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

And the kids are on their own now, whereas before everyone was looking for Will. Now they won't be believed no matter what, and have no clear way to proceed.

Yeah, also a good point.

If I didn't really enjoy the first couple that much do y'all think the rest of the season picks up or is quite similar to those early episodes? I really didn't wanna poo poo people enjoying a show so sorry for the shitposting.

Fonzarelli posted:

regardless of whether you should finish it or not, writing paragraphs of how the show is failing on some deep rhetorical level based on three episodes is lame and gay

Y'right, part of it I think was I heard so many good things and was p hyped for it so I was bummed when I saw it and didn't click with me

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 4, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Is general consensus the show emulates what it's going for better/worse than Super 8? I never saw that movie but it was pretty divisive when it came out

Fat Shat Sings posted:

if the guy is melting down into deconstructions of something only having seen like 40% of it he's either too dense to understand it or is just an opinion hipster that needs the attention that comes with disagreeing with everyone

yeah you're right, if you're watching a show and don't like it it's best to spend your time watching the whole thing just to be sure you're not, and if you do stop watching it you better not ever wonder why you didn't enjoy it

you're being a div mate!

VVV: do you think they're similar enough to fairly compare?

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

we don't speak limey here, this is america

you're being a div bro!

Aralan posted:

Have you considered watching things and forming opinions on your own?

now you've told me to i am

• Locked thread