Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just finished episode 3 last night, and plan on watching more tonight. I am probably right square in the target demographic, though - I was 12 years old in 1983.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had avoided coming back to this thread until I had finished season 1, and now that I have done so I can also agree that this show is cool and good.

I appreciated a lot of the references, and I don't think the many nods to John Carpenter have been really acknowledged in the thread so far.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a theory:

The upside-down is not actually a reflection of the town, but is a wormhole to another location in our plane of reality. Given the blasted nature of the landscape and the generally toxic nature of the environment, I think it is pretty clear that the wormhole connects Hawkins directly to Detroit.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

What does the water tank do? Enhance powers? Isolate from outside interference? Is it in fact not water but pure LSD?

It was a sensory deprivation tank - they called the science teacher for help in setting one up. It's also a bit of a nod to the '80s movie Altered States.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Idle thought: the show's self-conscious retro flavor is maybe somewhat reminiscent of how H. P. Lovecraft's writing had been self-consciously archaic even for the time. It behaves like a kind of Brechtian distancing tactic: it helps the audience let their guard down. It would be much more difficult to effectively tell the same story in a contemporary, basically realistic setting. It's good to feed the audience some prompts to expect Spielberg/King/Carpenter vibes.

Also, I wonder if Barb is going to come back as a nightmare creature. She was fully consumed/impregnated/whatevered by the slug thing. It would be interesting to see the goody two-shoes become the avatar of the upside-down.

I think it also makes the upending of expectations that much more satisfying. Like how they make Steve to turn out to be a decent person rather than just a two-dimensional evil jock.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Philthy posted:

I was nine in 1983 so this gave me a mental breakdown because im old and im going to die and holy gently caress I need a time machine where is a red sports car god drat

This show was amazing.

I was 12. :corsair:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think Barb was also serving to let them upend the classic horror trope that "party kids that have sex are killed by the monster." Even Steve's rear end in a top hat friends are left unscathed, and the only teen killed by the monster is the goody-two-shoes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Germstore posted:

I think he wasn't always immobilized. At the point they found him he would have been dehydrated pretty bad.

He wasn't immobilized until fairly late - the whole scene where Winona takes the axe to the wall is because he was just on the other side of the meat-window portal thing that appeared there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

I have bad opinions

Edited for brevity.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Anyone post this site yet?

http://makeitstranger.com/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TremorX posted:

Is this some kind of new rickroll, because everyone is like OMG WATCH IT NOWWW and I tried but it's boring as hell, just like the entirety of the 1980s

No, it just means that you are the opposite of good and cool.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I was like, holy poo poo, this is a chair? And this weird piece of crap - could i t be a door? Linking two rooms in this mind-boggling contraption people seem to call "a house"? My mind was blown by the amount of obscure cultural references I was able to get!

Also did you notice that when WR put up the Christmas lights, each bulb was associated with a single glyph of this little known symbolic language called by experts the "latin alphabet"

What are you on about? They did a spot-on job for getting the 80s atmosphere and set-dressing seamless.

steinrokkan posted:

Wow, pudding! What a classic reference! Only 90s kids could get that!

Seriously, are you having a stroke?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The fact that they recreated the 80s is the leas significant part of the show, yet it is the one aspect boring morons with nothing to say tend to latch upon.

Meh, I appreciated the nostalgia but that was indeed just one of the good things about the show.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

psychokitty posted:

why is john ralphio in this pic?

He is Steve's spirit animal.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

The joke is dumb but it is also there to illicit an air of humility - you're literally getting the joke of "I'm a dumb guy who talks in dumb caps so don't be upset I don't like your show".

You meant to say "elicit." Your misuse of language has now rendered your opinion completely worthless. :smug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Laurenz posted:

So basically Tumblr is taking a show that has several kids as main characters and is turning it into a sex fantasy of theirs.

Here's a protip: actively avoid anything involving the Supernatural fandom or that includes the word "Omegaverse" anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Basticle posted:

*edit* in a break from the soul crushing reality of tumblr heres a photo of the cast and their stunt doubles

Is it just me or is there something a little creepy about the idea of child stuntmen (stuntpersons?)? It strikes me as uncomfortably like having child soldiers or something, although intellectually I can see having them more like athletes with training that the actual child actors don't have, like acrobatics and such.

• Locked thread