Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
shhhh, we're all supposed to go ooooooh when that happens in like a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PicklePants posted:

They could hint at so much with what the bad guys said, but Magneto still couldn't directly say he was in the holocaust.

He danced around it in a clunky way. The 2000s X-Men movies were PG-13, and they had it, or is this after an even younger demo? Because the nostalgia bait makes me think that this is made for older :corsair: fans.

I could have SWORN at some point in the original TAS that he said he at least said "never again" in a rather unambiguous fashion? But the censorship in X-Men TAS was, like nearly all things in that show, very uneven.
I mean networks were not consistent. Look at the bat ABC took to Reboot, and yet Darkwing Duck - not Gargoyles, Darkwing loving Duck - airing on the same network says "death" and "kill" more times in the first episode than Spider-Man TAS does in its entire run lmao.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If I remember the original series right isn’t Xavier technically still alive? Curious as to when/if he’s going to pop back up at some point

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Larryb posted:

If I remember the original series right isn’t Xavier technically still alive? Curious as to when/if he’s going to pop back up at some point

I mean Morph was literally dead. A little thing like death wouldn't stop a character from showing up again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh right, this is the Marvel universe. Death is a minor inconvenience at best (except for the couple times where it isn’t)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Gaz-L posted:

They also turn into Archangel in the first episode once the Blackbird gets exploded, and fly down to the ground for the 'To me, my X-Men' bit.

Also the Blob to bounce Wolverine up which I don't think would be possible if Morph just turned into a fat guy.
Also er...do they have spare Blackbirds in stock?

So watched the first episode of '97. I liked it. Took a bunch of time to get everyone up to speed is fine. And everyone acts like how I remember them. Managed to get Jean's yell as she gets knocked back or surprised per episode thing in.
Animation wise is a bit rough sometimes, in motion its good, but when they're standing and talking and its a head shot, it looks like an adult swim low budget skit with just the mouths moving. Style wise its close enough, but the old show still looks better. Just the affect of when CGI is much cheaper nowadays.

And goddamn, does Cyclops kick rear end in episode 1. And so smug. I like that its more obvious (to me) that his blasts are concussive. My favorite scene has to be when they're all falling and the fliers all grab the non-fliers, and Cyclops is just 'yea don't worry about me' and lands by just blasting the ground
Most of the time in the original, he mostly blows up Sentinels or other machinery. So it was easier to mistake it as actual energy blast than shooting punches out of his eyes.

I liked the ending credits showing the ability bios.
What is Bishop doing here just hanging around? He never shares any scenes or lines with anyone else, but just pops up in action/fighting scenes.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 22, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean Morph was literally dead. A little thing like death wouldn't stop a character from showing up again.

Especially in X-Men, more than probably any other franchise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Curious if any other Marvel characters will pop up as things go on (I believe there was at least a crossover with Spider-Man back in the 90’s though I forget which show it happened in)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 22, 2024

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
This show is really making some hilarious choices:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

Curious if any other Marvel characters will pop up as things go on (I believe there was at least a crossover with Spider-Man back in the 90’e though I forget which show it happened in)

there's an episode of Spider-Man that has the X-Men, it was part of the arc where he's turning into a giant spider.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

there's an episode of Spider-Man that has the X-Men, it was part of the arc where he's turning into a giant spider.

There's also their version of Secret Wars.

They loved crossovers in Spidey and X-Men TAS.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
and he kicked all the x-men's rear end, as he should

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

funtax posted:

This show is really making some hilarious choices:

I feel bad for Scott. Maybe I should re-watch X-Men TAS as an adult and not a dumb kid but it feels like between TAS and the movies, Cyke has been ruined in the eyes of a general audience. I mean, isn't that the entire punchline here?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Air Skwirl posted:

I forget, was the cure of the spider thing that stupid loving isosceles triangle machine they whip out every time they needed a super science done?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel bad for Scott. Maybe I should re-watch X-Men TAS as an adult and not a dumb kid but it feels like between TAS and the movies, Cyke has been ruined in the eyes of a general audience. I mean, isn't that the entire punchline here?

Isn’t he kind of that way in the comics too?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Guessing even this show isn't going to go all in on Knife Queen Ororo, alas. A pity, as any time she cuts up some overconfident chump is cooler to me than bringing down all the hailstorms and tornados in the world.

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, Morph turns into her in the second episode of this new run?

It's also an interesting take on Morph's powerset, normally they're just pretty much another Mystique, but in this version they seem able to mimic powers and weapons? Kinda makes that side of Rogue's powerset seem redundant.

Show is surprisingly good and does nail that 'like the show in your memories' thing that's hard to nail for these kind of reboots. It doesn't hurt that there was a ton of Claremont soap opera nonsense left on the table that the original run didn't touch and we're mining that pretty blatantly.

They were just being creative in a way people who write Mystique rarely are. There was a solo series though where she made much more use of her power beyond 'look exactly like that guy', she was moving internal organs around to less obvious target locations, making herself into thin, flat sheets of flesh to drift/glide out an exploding building, etc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Guessing even this show isn't going to go all in on Knife Queen Ororo, alas. A pity, as any time she cuts up some overconfident chump is cooler to me than bringing down all the hailstorms and tornados in the world.

They were just being creative in a way people who write Mystique rarely are. There was a solo series though where she made much more use of her power beyond 'look exactly like that guy', she was moving internal organs around to less obvious target locations, making herself into thin, flat sheets of flesh to drift/glide out an exploding building, etc.

Mystique had her own series (or are you referring to the comics)?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
episode 2 of '97

lol

Jean: "He's here"
Wolverine: "Who? Apocalypse?" *whips out claws*
Jean: "The baby"

Wolverine: *fear*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GateOfD posted:

episode 2 of '97

lol

Jean: "He's here"
Wolverine: "Who? Apocalypse?" *whips out claws*
Jean: "The baby"

Wolverine: *fear*

That scene had me howling.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Larryb posted:

Cyclops is badass and right in the comics.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
What days do new episodes release? Might sign up for Disney+ for this, they honestly kind of have a ton of stuff on there.

Oh ok, so ep2
Rogue and Magneto can touch eachother because i guess magneto makes a super thin layer of magnetism between them? Poor Gambit.

Awww Storm nooo, guess they wrote her off because she was too OP. I guess I kind of get it, she’s not a mutant anymore, so she leaves, but doesn’t that conflict with mutants and humans being to co-exist together? Even if it’s a mutant school.

Also lol @ Morph cheering Wolverine up by turning into Sabretooth and they wrestle? Ok…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Every Wednesday I think

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the ability to change into other people to be sneaky should be good enough, and not every character should have to have their powers constantly amped up to be competitive in straight out fights like it's Dragonball Z.

The very silly Marvel anatomy book did give their take on her being able to move her organs.

X-Men Evolution had Apocalypse amp up Mystique's powers so that she could turn into animals like a bird as well.

Larryb posted:

I always liked Cyclops. His whole thing where he constantly needs his glasses and visor to keep things under control resonates with me. For most of the comics, he is bouncing from one tragedy to the next, both a myriad of increasingly weird personal tragedies and being the guy who shoulders the responsibility for anything bad happening to the team as a whole. Cyclops may not be the best leader, but he's the often only one who's willing to step up and try to take that responsibility. The team and his legacy as Professor X's golden boy is his only solace from suffering.

And he is also constantly contrasted with Wolverine, who is wildly popular, but Wolverine's whole thing is that he is constantly losing control. His mutation isn't crippling like Cyclops's is, he just can't be bothered to stay in line. He doesn't take responsibility, and he will always be the first to tell off Cyclops for when something goes bad, even if he never will bother to manage things himself, and he will be the first to step out of line and start making a plan go awry.

Naturally this will fluctuate over time and from writer to writer; there was a fun time around 2010 when they kinda swapped places and Cyclops became a terrorist and Wolverine went back to start up the school again and became a soccer mom.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the ability to change into other people to be sneaky should be good enough, and not every character should have to have their powers constantly amped up to be competitive in straight out fights like it's Dragonball Z.

The very silly Marvel anatomy book did give their take on her being able to move her organs.

Respectfully looking at mystique's heart

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I’m fine with the shapeshifters having different attributes.
Morph can copy the physical attributes, Mystique having the organs thing and maybe being an Animorph

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

You know I always heard the way to someone's heart was through the rear end but I never believed it until now

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Hootington posted:

Cyclops is badass and right in the comics.

"Rightclops the man is who right all the time" is a nicknamed I heard for him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

After that first episode where he does the surprise "...not!" he should be called Sike!clops.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

He's been shorted in most adaptions. He's okay in the 92 series, but they set up the love triangle and he never got as much focus as Wolverine. So he has very few episodes that give him any sort of depth besides stoic leader and Wolverine's rival.

The movies he got even less focus and pretty much the same characterization as the cartoon.

Like people have said, 97 seems to start out purposefully giving more for him and Storm to do because they were really shorted in the original series.

I'm pretty biased, but in the comics he's got a ton of depth to him and he's the favorite X-Man of a lot of good writers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think ive said this before but as an outsider to comics for most of my life i was always really confused about the hate cyclops got because i watched X-Men Evolution as a kid and he's great in that show

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Air Skwirl posted:

That episode blew my mind as a child like you wouldn't believe. Like I don't think I had ever seen a crossover in television like that before, or if I had it didn't leave much of an impact.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

neogenic nightmare, part whatever is a title burned into my childhood psyche

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Air Skwirl posted:

That crossover is nuts because it's an adaptation of a comic crossover that happened like while the first season of Spider-man was airing (crossover was early season 2) and was also at the very same time running in the spider-man newspaper comic strip. Marvel knew that Spider-man and Beast and Wolverine hanging out to punch out Hobgoblin was $$$$$

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In some ways Spider-Man TAS was a lot more ambitious than X-Men TAS with its crossovers and whatnot. Which is weird since it always felt like it had less of a budget (the animation quality in X-Men, much like its writing, was uneven but generally at least on par for the time, and sometimes (and, no, not just Rogue's butt) great for the time) and definitely had more of a bat taken to it by the censors.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd give disney a stupid amount of money to bring back all the 90s shows and have them all connect like they did before.

I still wanna see MJ get rescued.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Magneto is really good.

Like this is how I wish a good Doctor Doom would be half as good as the Magneto we’re having

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

SlothfulCobra posted:

This reminds me of that old Jim Carrey sketch about the karate instructor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He was only in a couple episodes, but iirc Doom was pretty good in Avengers: EMH.

I'd love that coming back too. Or either the Spider-Man show or a new Spider-Man show where he's not a loving high school student.

Early Silver Age Marvel happened in roughly real time so he graduated high school pretty loving quickly in the comics. Before Ultimate and Marvel Adventures Spider-Man he had spent vastly more time as a semi functional adult than a kid living with his aunt.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 23, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alaois posted:

i think ive said this before but as an outsider to comics for most of my life i was always really confused about the hate cyclops got because i watched X-Men Evolution as a kid and he's great in that show

He is. Pretty much every character is great in Evo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In some ways Spider-Man TAS was a lot more ambitious than X-Men TAS with its crossovers and whatnot.

Spidey TAS is where younger me LEARNED about most of the characters in Marvel. It was pretty fuckin' awesome stuff.