Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm watching Young Justice right now, and I'm on the episode with the Injustice League, and wow is Brent Spiner a poor choice for Joker. I'd heard it about it, but wow is hearing it a completely different experience. Although looking at his IMDB he's going to be Riddler in Justice League Action? That seems like a much better choice.

Other than that though, so far I'm largely enjoying it, although I'm not looking forward to that timeskip for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess Ultimate Spider-Man is done, so they are rebooting it again with a new series based on the adventures of a young Peter Parker called Marvel's Spider-Man.

Can't be any worse, I suppose.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Interesting. I still need to finish season 1.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Looks pretty good to me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Sounds really grim unless they actually focus in on a few characters this time. There were plenty of cool-sounding character adds in S2 (Batgirl! Wonder Girl! Tim Drake! Static!) that ended up amounting to nothing because they had thin characterisation and no real relevance to the plot.

That's right, Static was in that show. Did you forget? I almost did.

I'm up to episode 13 of season 2, and honestly, I keep on forgetting about Wonder Girl. I'm enjoying season 2, but it is nowhere near as good as season 1, and it is definitely because they have all these characters that are just not fleshed out at all.

However, there's a part of me that wants every season to have a time skip until that mythical season 7 is Young Justice One Million.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I sort of felt like they wanted me to hate him because "he stole Superboy's girl!!" but I didn't dislike him on that basis, more the fact that he was consistently boring to watch. Meanwhile there are bunches of characters who are potentially more interesting and get tiny scraps of screentime, vs. Lagoon Boy who is dull, vaguely obnoxious, and is very consistently featured episode to episode.

Like, I'm pretty sure he gets more screentime than Nightwing, and he definitely gets more than Batgirl, Wonder Girl, etc. They don't really make him either likeable or interesting enough to justify that, I think.

I don't remember him getting that much screentime. But yeah, I find myself disliking him because he's got two traits, with Miss Martian and constantly angry and frustrated in the field. Superboy had that, but he also had the development to make him a character that you could like. Imagine if Superboy got none of that, and that's kinda like Lagoon Boy. Oh, and then Lagoon Boy gets kidnapped for like, ten episodes. But then again, I'm only at episode 13, from what people have said it sounds like he gets a bit more development.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Unmature posted:

I 100% agree with this. Batman and Robin is stupid and over the top and ridiculous and so much fun.

Though I will do you one more and say that Batman Forever is a genuinely good, fun, incredibly watchable action movie.

I don't think Batman and Robin is any good. In fact, it's god-awful and makes no sense even within itself. I still have no idea why Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze teamed up considering their plans are so diametrically opposed to each other. It's fascinating to watch though. I will also defend Batman Forever though. Genuinely good? Maybe not, it's decent at best, but fun and incredibly watchable? Yeah, I'll agree with that. It has no place being set next to Batman and Robin like some people do, that's for sure. Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face is strange because I don't believe there's ever been a Two-Face like him before or since.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Wait? So there was another Beast Boy? Or is that the same Beast Boy from the last movie, just even younger? Also that team seems more interesting that the current one. :smith:

I think that's some kind of flashback. That's not Damian.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Batman vs. Dracula is an underrated film.

Just like The Batman in general.

I never got a chance to see The Batman vs Dracula, but I absolutely agree on The Batman. It's not B:TAS, but it wasn't trying to be either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I only saw the first episode of Beware the Batman, and it was enjoyable enough, but just one doesn't give a whole lot of feel for a show like that either. I'd like to see more, but WB is weird with their DC shows on Netflix.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Then in New Batman Adventures, he was put through that show's usual horrendous redesign wringer and turned into a gimp.

Really, Scarecrow was the only one who came out of that better, right? Everyone else was either about even (rarely) or way worse?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Scarecrow had 2 different costumes after the redesign and one of them was pretty awful too.

Oh? I was thinking the creepy preacher look.

I actually have to confess, I've not seen much B:TAS, I wasn't allowed to watch it when it was on because my mom had a thing about violent shows and now it's never been on Netflix, so I've seen way more Batman Beyond since they had that for a while. I wish WB was less scattershot with what DC stuff they put on Netflix, there's a lot I'd love to see.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Remember when Beyond was supposed to be the lighter "Batman in high school" show compared to TAS? The episode I think of when I remember that is April Moon, which ends with a guy about to get loving murdered.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it was ever supposed to be that.

I've always heard it was sorta pushed on them by the higher ups who were looking for something lighter and really wanted the "Batman in high school" concept, and then through development it became what we know. But now I cannot find a thing to back up what I heard (thanks Gotham High!) so I'll definitely concede I could have heard bad information.

Roth posted:

I remember Gotham High was a thing that was considered at one point

I imagine it would have made X-Men Evolution look like Superman TAS at the very least

gently caress I wish I could see that. It sounds awful.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Young Justice season 2 is good, but it's a huge step down from the excellent first season. Still worth watching, but definitely be prepared for that drop.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think TTG is just fine. But then again, I only saw Teen Titans in syndication so I always preferred the standalone episodes more, so maybe that has something to do with it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You know, speaking of funny shows, that TMNT CG cartoon is also really funny and also has cool fights and interesting takes on classic villains. Except Bebop and Rocksteady, their version sucks. The only real cricitism I can level at it is that they had a really neat romantic subplot going and then at some point it just kind of froze up at the "will-they won't-they" stage, which I find weird.

Well, that's the trouble with a running romantic subplot in an open-ended series, it happens all the time. Just look at almost any sitcom. Once they get told they have one season left they'll wrap it up. Anyway, what I've seen of the show is pretty good, but I haven't see much of it. Probably more than I have of any TMNT series though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Holy poo poo, Steph. I'm down.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hopefully it goes better than last time, I liked Gotham by Gaslight a lot, but I also thought it felt really rushed, even at 48 pages, a good expansion would be great. Emphasis on good expansion.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Young Justice are leaving Netflix in August.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That sneak peek of Gotham by Gaslight. I'm still sorta intrigued, but I think I'll still wait for reviews.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

A free trial of Amazon Prime including streaming? Don't mind if I do.

Taking advantage of that to watch Batman the Animated Series and Superman the Animated Series, since I've seen very little of Batman, and none of Superman. It's fascinating how different Batman feels to all the later shows in the DCAU, a little... slapdash, I guess, though not bad at all, but where Superman takes three episodes to establish the characters and everything, Batman just tosses us Man-Bat, and Robin just suddenly appears in a couple episodes of season 1 (by Amazon's listing) only to disappear again. It's real strange, I can see the elements that became the DCAU, but at the same time it doesn't feel at all like the later shows. I think part of it is the art style, since it's not the refined version they used for the later series, it stands out more.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

site posted:

Didn't the Robin thing happen because they were produced or aired wildly out of order or something like that

They weren't aired in production order, the first episode aired was actually a Catwoman episode (The Cat and the Claw part 1, though it took them a week to air the second part), followed by the Manbat episode, though On Leather Wings was the first in production order. I guess the second in production was Christmas With the Joker, which had Robin in it, but also was the 38th episode they aired. The first episode with Robin shown was Fear of Victory, 19th in airdate, 24th in production. He shows up as a hallucination in Dreams in Darkness, 31st aired, 28th made, which is the furthest I've watched so far (Amazon has them in production order, but splits the seasons weirdly). So, yes, they were aired out of order of their production, but that apparently has nothing to do with Robin's appearances.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Batman went straight in because the cartoon was building on the (then recent) Burton movies.

I'd heard that, it certainly explains some choices.

purple death ray posted:

Actually the rest of the dcau is poorer for not sticking with the original animation style from BTAS, not the other way around.

Batman Beyond would have looked very interesting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Hey, they're technically right as the first Teen Titans cartoon was made back in 1967 by Filmation. It's not Go's fault that there are people still obsessing about how insulting it is to some faux 2004 anime show that's now being shown again on CN because GO's apparently still so goddamn profitable. Hell, I hope they continue this trend and just roll back with some Courage or OG Powerpuff because gently caress it.

I had no idea this was a thing, I thought the first attempt at a Teen Titans series was some weird '80's thing ('80's? I think that's what I heard).

Edit: Man, what is up with Kid Flash's hair?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

:psyduck: The more I hear about this show the more I want to check it out, but Smallville hurt me so bad.

Yeah. I dropped it around episode 13 of season 1, and everything I hear makes me want to pick it back up, but the one issue I have with the show keeps me from coming back.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

They were told by Hasbro and Dan Didio, then the head of Mainframe, not to watch earlier episodes initially.

What the gently caress Dan.

I didn't watch Transformers as a kid, one of the Beast series was running and I caught one episode but all I remember was someone holding a skull, commenting on how somewhere used to have organic life and someone else getting pissed at the idea.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dexie posted:

If we're going to do Asian-influenced Batman, can we just get more Batman of Shanghai shorts instead?

Please? Those were great. I'm intrigued by this though, sounds like it could be interesting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

God I just hate every Harley design since 2011. Like maybe her original BTAS costume doesn't work for her leading a solo cartoon, and especially for a live action movie, but there has to be some kind of happy middle ground between her OG costume and her current one.

I think I'm notably in the minority here, but I liked her Arkham costumes (well, Asylum's only works in that story, but her other ones). I think her Knight costume would work.

But frankly, nothing's been as bad as her New 52 outfit. It's like her Arkham City costume but just awful in every way.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'm going to be honest, her Brave and the Bold costume is my favourite, but I doubt we'll see that. At least there's that Scooby-Doo movie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Still stunned they've never made a Power Pack cartoon

Wasn't there a TV movie? Live-action, I think, but still.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'll forgive it if the mythical season 7 is Young Justice: One Million.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

While I was looking for that, I had a bit of a nostalgic moment when I found the intro for another cartoon I remember airing as part of a block with reruns of X-Men '92 and the Marvel Action Hour. Who else remembers the animated version of Diabolik?

Diabolik! I am actually unfamiliar with Diabolik, I read Grendel and was intrigued by the Euro-Crime stuff it was inspired by, like Fantomas and Diabolik, and I found the first episode of the show on Youtube or something. Wish Netflix hadn't removed the Fantomas serials...

Is that Iron Man intro (the bad one) missing sounds or...? It sounds real anaemic, like it's missing some background drums or something.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

The only time I would have cared about Hush was when they were planning to do it in the style of The Batman.

Now it'll just be in normal DC animated movie style so who gives a poo poo.

I've never heard of that, that sounds interesting. My mum thought Batman was too violent when I was young, so The Batman was my first superhero cartoon and I still have a soft spot for it.

I get the impression that you can read like, two Jeph Loeb Batman comics before you get tired of his style and most people read Long Halloween and Dark Victory first. If they do a Long Halloween adaptation, I hope they cut that last twist, I thought it was good except for that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

The Batman overall holds up pretty well in my opinion

I agree, I rewatched most of it when it popped up on Netflix a while ago. It's no B:TAS, but it wasn't trying to be. That one Hugo Strange episode was absolutely supposed to be Scarecrow though, it's super obvious they were forced to change it late.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Why were they forced to change it?

Supposedly Scarecrow was part of the Bat-embargo because of the Nolan movies or something.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

How was the Legion series? You never hear anybody talk about it these days.

I don't remember it being great, but it was a solid little show. I remember that they decided to change up the show so the last season starts with a fairly grim opener.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Frankly, that episode by itself is amazing and completely justifies the entire show. It's pretty standard little kids show, but as seen, has its moments.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

YJ does timeskips with every new season and you sort of have to wait to fill in the blanks. Or play the tie-in videogame.

It's sort of aggravating. Even though I like the show, I will fully admit this is not one of its better quirks.

I will give it a pass if the last season is Young Justice One Million. Bonus points if we go through Young Justice Beyond and Young Justice That's Actually Legion of Superheroes.

Until then, it is quite aggravating.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

The Batman is a pretty good show that got a really raw deal for a.) Not being BTAS/more DCAU, and b.) Having some really out there character designs. I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I'd be willing the bet the Venn diagram of "people who call it poo poo" and "people who looked at the Joker design and never actually watched an episode" has a not-insignificant overlap.

Yeah, I really liked The Batman. It was definitely going for its own style, and while I wouldn't want Penguin throwing down normally, it works there. That Joker design was, and sometimes I think might still be, one of my favourites. Of course, I hadn't seen much other Batman stuff at the time, I wasn't allowed to watch BTAS when it was running (my mum had a thing against guns, so it was right out).

I only saw the first episode of Beware the Batman, and it looked interesting but I never got a chance to see anything past that. Don't have cable, I think someone put the episode up on like... dailymotion or something like that and I saw that entirely by chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I really like The Batman, it definitely got way more poo poo than it deserved for not being B:TAS, but it was never trying to be anyways. First season's a little rough, but still got some decent episodes, but after that it finds its footing. I thought season 5 when they started to bring in the Justice League wasn't that great, but I do kinda wish they got to work on other DC shows. I think a Justice League by The Batman people could have been a lot of fun.

Weird choice how the early theme song was way darker than the show itself though.