Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It's basically "there in tunnels with lead and the mind control isn't powerful enough to make Superman kill" right?

Yeah he was mind controlled and fighting it and I think also had some kind of kryptonite plant on him or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A good friend of mine who's now doing work for Marvel told me the real reason Superman loses those fights is he remember Bruce's parents are dead and then throws them to make Bruce feel better about himself.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

catlord posted:

I've never heard of that, that sounds interesting. My mum thought Batman was too violent when I was young, so The Batman was my first superhero cartoon and I still have a soft spot for it.

I get the impression that you can read like, two Jeph Loeb Batman comics before you get tired of his style and most people read Long Halloween and Dark Victory first. If they do a Long Halloween adaptation, I hope they cut that last twist, I thought it was good except for that.

The Batman overall holds up pretty well in my opinion

Skwirl posted:

If all you care about is cause and effect and who did what The Long Halloween is a square trying to fit into a circle. If you appreciate for what it is (a Batman story cramming as many villains in as they can in twelve issues) it's fine, and great for a DTV animated movie, but they really shouldn't use the current house style.

Hush has a Batman vs Superman fight that almost makes sense, so that's probably why it gets a movie.

Long Halloween is pretty good, Dark Victory on the other hand has some pretty big flaws, including a very weak final act(especially in how it resolves the mob parts of the story), as well as how it uses Catwoman pretty poorly

So in my opinion while Long Halloween could be adapted with minimal changes, if they adapted Dark Victory as well, I'd honestly suggest keeping the overarching basic plot(Robin becoming Batman's partner, and supervillains becoming the dominant force in Gotham's underworld), but throw out most of the specifics from the original comic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, in regards to adapting Hush, but sticking with the currant style, loving christ they're taking top shelf Jim Lee art and turning it into someone who learned to draw from Jim Lee who taught someone else to draw times 50 and that person is doing this.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Long Halloween is pretty good, Dark Victory on the other hand has some pretty big flaws, including a very weak final act(especially in how it resolves the mob parts of the story)
Dark Victory screams cash grab, and is a complete mess in my opinion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It was just more of TDKR wank. Hey, remember how Superman sucks forever?

The weirdest thing about TDKR fight is that it like.. explicitly wasn't "Batman beats Superman!" It was "Batman, with help from multiple other people, beats the poo poo out of a guy who wasn't trying very hard to hurt him and at the end of the day only escapes because Clark let him." Yet somehow it's "and Batman can kick Superman's rear end any day of the week!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ryonguy posted:

It had some good moments, but I do agree that it is overall a flawed product

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

The Batman overall holds up pretty well in my opinion

I agree, I rewatched most of it when it popped up on Netflix a while ago. It's no B:TAS, but it wasn't trying to be. That one Hugo Strange episode was absolutely supposed to be Scarecrow though, it's super obvious they were forced to change it late.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

catlord posted:

I agree, I rewatched most of it when it popped up on Netflix a while ago. It's no B:TAS, but it wasn't trying to be. That one Hugo Strange episode was absolutely supposed to be Scarecrow though, it's super obvious they were forced to change it late.

Why were they forced to change it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

It was just more of TDKR wank. Hey, remember how Superman sucks forever?

It's been a while since I read it, but wasn't that fight put in a light where Batman knew that Superman could beat him easily if he wanted, but Superman was actively fighting back against the mind control? And everything Batman threw at him was still only enough to slow Superman down.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Toshimo posted:

Probably because of Batman Begins.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

ryonguy posted:

I read it about 9 years ago and literally cannot remember a single event from it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Toshimo posted:

Supposedly Scarecrow was part of the Bat-embargo because of the Nolan movies or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The fabled Bat-Embargo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but wasn't that fight put in a light where Batman knew that Superman could beat him easily if he wanted, but Superman was actively fighting back against the mind control? And everything Batman threw at him was still only enough to slow Superman down.

Pretty much. He was just buying time for Catwoman to throw Lois Lane off a building. Everybody talks about the Superman/Batman fight, but nobody mentions the real draw; Catwoman/Krypto taking down Poison Ivy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Hush. A big reason I don't care for him is that he is not even original. He is a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne that hates and resents him.

Black Mask has the exact same backstory and came out like 17 years before him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 4, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like his "surgeon who steals faces" gimmick but even that's been done better by Jane Doe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't part of Hush's deal this angle of "Bruce Wayne became Batman because his parents died; Hush became Hush because his parents... didn't!"?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't part of Hush's deal this angle of "Bruce Wayne became Batman because his parents died; Hush became Hush because his parents... didn't!"?

Yeah, Hush was a child sociopath who intentionally sabotaged the brake lines on his parents' car for their inheritance, but after Thomas Wayne saved his mother's life in surgery, he swore revenge on the Waynes and was irrationally jealous of Bruce that he got to have dead parents and the big inheritance while Hush was stuck caring for his now bedridden mother. Also his dad was abusive and his mom enabled the abuse, so he was super resentful of them. Eventually, despite him having spent years caring for her, his mother removes him from her inheritance and he smothers her with a pillow in a fit of rage before she can talk to her lawyer.

I like Hush, although his best story is not his debut but Dini/Nguyen's Heart of Hush, which is both a great spooky Batman story and fleshes out this backstory a little more. Hush is essentially the ultimate spoiled rich kid who just wants more, more, more and resents the people around him for having the life he feels he was owed. It's a different vibe from Black Mask. Hush's whole thing is this overweening sense of entitlement, but his backstory is substantial enough that he's not just a one note archetype.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

His dad did die though, it was his mother clinging to life despite his childhood attempt to murder her that really drove him to the peak of resentment against the Waynes. Like, not only did Thomas Wayne save her life, he did so in such a way that she now required round-the-clock care, and he had to be the one to give it if he wanted any hope of holding onto his inheritance. It's a nice "cruel fate" ironic twist for a truly reprehensible villain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Man, I prefer Prometheus' inversion where it was 'saw his parents killed in front of him but they were Natural Born Killers-esque criminals.'

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is....is that all it takes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Man, I prefer Prometheus' inversion where it was 'saw his parents killed in front of him but they were Natural Born Killers-esque criminals.'

It's a shame most of Prometheus's stories after his debut were terrible, cause the concept of an Anti Batman who specifically mirrors Batman in his role as a Justice League member is a pretty novel one*, although personally I'd tweak some aspects even more, like have him have a no kill code like Batman, but for twisted and selfish reasons, like how it makes "the game" more challenging

*I'm not counting Owlman for this

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes. This fight (and the one in TDKR) are where "Prep Time" got permanently stapled to Batman's character. It makes him really frustrating to talk about.

Side note: I liked The Batman. The last season is when they started doing a bunch of Justice League build and I remember liking those episodes. When they finally got around to Robin, the series kicked into an overdrive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Yes. This fight (and the one in TDKR) are where "Prep Time" got permanently stapled to Batman's character. It makes him really frustrating to talk about.

Side note: I liked The Batman. The last season is when they started doing a bunch of Justice League build and I remember liking those episodes. When they finally got around to Robin, the series kicked into an overdrive.

Agreed, although the series finale was mediocre

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame most of Prometheus's stories after his debut were terrible, cause the concept of an Anti Batman who specifically mirrors Batman in his role as a Justice League member is a pretty novel one*, although personally I'd tweak some aspects even more, like have him have a no kill code like Batman, but for twisted and selfish reasons, like how it makes "the game" more challenging

*I'm not counting Owlman for this

I like that twist, and yeah, Prometheus never really recovered from his heights of his introduction by Morrison.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I like that twist, and yeah, Prometheus never really recovered from his heights of his introduction by Morrison.

I'm picturing him as basically being like how Batman was partway through Return of The Caped Crusaders and he just starts beating the poo poo out of his villains while quoting the Dark Knight Returns Batman, a sudden swerve from cornball to psychopath that is utterly terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFq7C0lmS-A

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hot take: The Batman has the best take on an animated adaptation of Robin's origin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is....is that all it takes.

Most of the characters who hate Bruce Wayne personally instead of Batman have really, really specious reasons for doing so. It's one of the character's greatest weakness.

Which is crazy because it shouldn't be that hard to make a character who has sympathetic reasons for hating a billionaire who often presents himself as aloof, somewhat greedy and uninterested in politics.

Nodosaur posted:

Hot take: The Batman has the best take on an animated adaptation of Robin's origin

That's because Brave and the Bold didn't' even bother with it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Batman season 1 was rough. Season 2 has some good episodes and the Dracula movie is silly fun.

Long Halloween would be amazing animated but it would have to have magnificent animation. Probably only a few Japanese studios could handle the style and without the style it’s hardly the same piece of work. Tim Sales art does so much for the atmosphere.

Thinking about it made me remember this fan trailer for Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth
https://youtu.be/36-G8fFFJJk

The amount of work that must have taken, and it was made back in 2007. Yet the CG has almost crossed the uncanny valley, the music and voice acting choices are perfect, the atmosphere is great. Too bad its not at quite as clear and high a resolution as it would be if made today.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 5, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Agreed and this is also when the show really kicks it into gear and becomes really good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Nodosaur posted:

I still like TAS' take on both Robins. But I really loved the later seasons of The Batman...even though Joker is rear end in it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im not entirely sure what the thought process is behind airing a kids movie at 10pm but okay

https://twitter.com/MarvelRisingSW/status/1039914033317535744

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

site posted:

im not entirely sure what the thought process is behind airing a kids movie at 10pm but okay

I really wish marvel cartoon would change their artstyle because it's just goddamn ugly to look at.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

10 PM isn't great, but a lot of older kids will still be up then. I'm more questioning what the thought process is behind it being on a Sunday. Some parents will let their kids stay up later on weekends, but Sunday is a school night, so you're immediately losing that potential audience.

Monaghan posted:

I really wish marvel cartoon would change their artstyle because it's just goddamn ugly to look at.

I wouldn't say "ugly" so much as "bland"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ten PM Sunday is when Prestige Cable poo poo is on. So either they're dumping it or they think it's the next Sopranos.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Skwirl posted:

Ten PM Sunday is when Prestige Cable poo poo is on. So either they're dumping it or they think it's the next Sopranos.

It's an unproven cartoon for children, they want it to fail

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Calaveron posted:

It's an unproven cartoon for children, they want it to fail

I was joking, Rescue Rangers or something started with a PM showing of a 90 minute pilot when I was a kid. If it's a simultaneous premiere there's a 10 pm showing in the east coast as well as a 7 pm showing on the west.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I too am surprised that a 24 hour kids channel is showing a kids program during those 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

X-O posted:

I too am surprised that a 24 hour kids channel is showing a kids program during those 24 hours.

I mean, it's not the same showing Hong Kong Phooey or Scooby Dooby reruns at lovely hours instead of the premiere of a cartoon they probably want it to do well