Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t they tried doing an animated Watchmen before or am I remembering wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I tend to think of Batman Beyond as just an extension of B:TAS, although I guess it's significantly different and separate from where the rest of the DCAU went. It was very good. Batman's too old in the cyberpunk future, so his mantle gets taken on by a teenager under the supervision of old Bruce Wayne. It's neat stuff, and I think it works well from taking basically a lot of the same stuff from B:TAS and doing basically wholly original plots with mostly original characters (although a few of them are future versions of old villains). Most of its elements also couldn't be really be brought into mainstream DC comics continuity unlike the original aspects of B:TAS, so it ends up standing apart more.

Brave and the Bold was absolutely zany fun, it was all about homaging the less serious Batman of days gone by, like the Adam West show or lots of wacky golden age references. Batman himself though always remains stony and serious, so epidoes are usually more about the other heroes he teams up with. Their take on Aquaman was a real breakout hit.

Beware the Bat was weird, it was a purposeful attempt to step back and away from the bigger supervillains and focus on Batman as a solo street level vigilante (pretty much the exact antithesis of Brave and the Bold). It was interesting, but the main thing I remember is the theme was really great.

There's a slew of animated movies, some of them are kinda connected to the DCAU, some aren't, most haven't really interested me much. But the best animated Batman movie is the Lego Batman movie, which is all about unpicking the grim and gritty version of Batman that some people tend to idolize.

I’ve seen Beyond but how was the comic book adaptation/continuation out of curiosity?

Also I’ve started Harley Quinn, it’s pretty good so far and I like that Batgirl is voiced by Kaley Cuoco’s real life sister (Harley starting off in her classic outfit and then switching to her modern look after officially jumping ship was a nice touch as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 22, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In this week’s Superman the show takes a bit of a darker turn as Jimmy goes it alone in his investigation after being neglected by Lois and Clark due to their own drama and gets abducted. Meanwhile, Lois takes wild risks like handcuffing herself to Clark and jumping off roofs to prompt him into coming clean, and when he does they argue and Lois calls time out on their romance

Also the first 3 episodes of Harley Quinn Season 4 are out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teaser for next week’s episode:

https://twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1684784183166541824

Since they seem to be bringing a few villains from outside of Superman’s usual rogue’s gallery for this I wonder if we’ll see some heroes eventually as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe she is, yes. Also, girl’s badass AF for just casually plunging off a building to force Clark to come clean, I think this might be my favorite Lois so far

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

That's exactly what they would tell the public so that they wouldn't go looking where it actually is! #flamebird

I assume it's going to be Ultra Humanite or something.

The preview for next week confirms it’s actually Monsieur Mallah

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I kind of hope the name "Deathstroke" is never uttered in this series (Slade sounds cooler and more menacing anyway). Honestly that should just become his canon name in the comics too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, Clark hasn’t exactly been subtle about it (in fact that’s part of the reason why Lois was able to piece it together so fast)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Turns out Jimmy knew Clark’s secret all along (which kind of makes sense), also Lois and Clark appear to have made up. Honestly I’m glad they decided to rip this particular bandaid off sooner rather than later. No Grodd this time but we did get Mallah & The Brain

Mxyzptlk debuts next week

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 4, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheDK posted:

Re: Jimmy- I thought it was implied from the first episode. His comment about the alarm clock, specifically.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Also I really like this version of Mallah and Brain, hope they come back eventually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Dude. I know not everyone reads every subforum, but it is really loving weird when you crosspost all your stuff between here and both TVIV animation threads.

It’s relevant to both threads, who cares?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, I’m not entirely familiar with their comic counterparts but is this the first time Mallah and Brain have been portrayed in a more positive light?

I’m also still curious if Grodd will show up eventually since him and the former are more often than not a package deal

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on this episode guide apparently another non Superman character will be popping up fairly soon (Vicki Vale):

https://cartoonnetwork.fandom.com/wiki/My_Adventures_with_Superman

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

If Vicki Vale is showing up it'd be weird if there wasn't at least a reference to Batman existing.

Also if Batman himself does show up eventually I’m curious how they’ll handle his personality (grim and gritty doesn’t really fit this show’s tone that well)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Unless it's as a joke counterpoint

That could also work (just dial the edge up to 11 for comedy purposes)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't think Vicki Vale showing up necessitates Batman at all, she can just be a reporter from out of town showing up who is actually a mentor who sees Lois Lane as an actual potential reporter or whatever and the name is just a little nod.

They’ve already brought in several villains from outside Superman’s normal wheelhouse (albeit with largely different origins) so doing the same with Vicki isn’t out of the realm of possibility

Whether they bring in other DC heroes is another matter (though Supergirl’s already confirmed at least).

I wouldn’t necessarily mind it but then again Superman doesn’t get that many solo shows on the animated side of things (I think there were only like 2 others prior to STAS)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 6, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teaser for next week’s episode:

https://twitter.com/CNArchivesYT/status/1687805258435526656

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crisis On Infinite Lanes

Not sure what a gang of interdimensional Loises has to do with Mr Mxyzptlk though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 8, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Weird episode this week but a fun one nonetheless (I like this version of Mxy). Also, Kingdom Hearts Lois.

Here’s a preview for next week:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YKn36OsC7V8

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 11, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Who was the madlad that pitched a magical girl Superman anime?

Jake Wyatt (and it rules)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I'm not even being sarcastic. There was a transformation sequence and everything.

I know you’re not, it was actually one of the first bits of footage revealed for the series

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, why is it that Superman has so few cartoons exclusively devoted to him (I think this is only the fourth one overall)?

I’d say it’s because the premise might not be as interesting/workable as something like Batman but Supes has had plenty of shows/movies in the live action department

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, I forgot there was a Filmation one too. Are the first 3 cartoon shows worth a watch out of curiosity (I started with STAS)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

The 1940's Fleischer/Famous Studios shorts are very much worth watching(mind you they were made in during the 40's so there is some racial content in several of them), they actually put out a rather good Blu-Ray set for all 17 of them a couple months ago that is rather reasonably priced

How about the New Adventures shorts and the 80’s show?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m assuming the League is made up of Loises whose Supermen all turned evil (though it was also implied that Fleischer Lois is their leader).

Also when Mxy eventually comes back I’ll be curious if they adapt the oddly specific “get him to say his name backwards” weakness or think of some other way to deal with him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assepoester posted:

Yeah in comparison WB made

Batman TAS/TNBA/Batman Beyond
The Batman
Batman Brave and the Bold
Beware The Batman
Batman Unlimited
Batman Caped Crusader (upcoming)

All within a 20-something year span

DC does seem to like to use Superman to headline their ensemble shows or as a guest character rather than to give him his own show - before Batman and Superman TAS they had him in Superfriends for nearly a decade and a half, after TAS they had him in Justice League/JLU, and had him guest star in The Batman and Brave and The Bold, and then Justice League Action before finally giving him his own show again - so maybe that's enough to sell Superman merch.

Batman also has a reoccurring role in Harley Quinn though he’s of course not the main focus. Conversely, Superman does have more live action shows than Batman does however

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

It is super weird there hasn't been a live action Batman show since the Adam West one and there's a ton of Superman live action shows, and then not that many Superman cartoons but a lot of Batman ones when you would think making a live action Batman show would be easier than a Superman one since Batman doesn't have superpowers.

I genuinely think it's because Batman does better with children and Superman does better with adults, just in focus groups.

I guess you could count Gotham but I’m not sure if Bruce Wayne is even in that show (it’s more focused on Gordon and I think takes place pre-Batman).

But yeah, he’s had plenty of movies but aside from some serials from the 40’s and the Adam West show Batman’s never really had much in the way of live action series’ (like you said, it feels like he’d be a lot easier/less costly to do in that medium than Superman would and conversely Superman feels more suited to animation)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How was the 80’s Superman cartoon out of curiosity?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure Batman in general has normally been more popular than Superman for DC. That's why it's named after his title.

Although DC also has an issue with having a pretty steep drop off in popularity after Batman and Superman, so when you look at the animated DC catalogue, there's not all that many outside of the shows that feature either the two of them or teams with a bunch of different characters.
  • Aquaman 1968
  • The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show 1979
  • The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! 1981
  • Swamp Thing 1990 (didn't even get a full season out before getting cancelled)
  • Teen Titans 2003
  • Young Justice 2010
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series 2011
  • DC Super Hero Girls 2019
  • Aquaman: King of Atlantis 2020
And even with those, a lot of them lean pretty heavily on the worlds of Batman and Superman. Somehow Aquaman is the only other character who managed to carry more than one show, 50 years apart.

Compare with Marvel, which while it has turned out less acclaimed shows overall, has ended up pretty mixed around. I think Spider-Man got the most shows, followed either by X-Men or the Avengers (the rise of the MCU kinda killing off the X-presence in pop culture and kindling a new interest in the Avengers), but aside from that there have been multiple shows for the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, and Iron Man, and still room for weird shows about other characters.

I've been seeing a number of them on Youtube as well as part of my looking into the history of animation.

I like how the story of how they got made was the Fleischers not wanting to do it, so they said it'd cost ten times more than a normal short, and it got greenlit so they had no choice but to spare no expense and put all their knowhow and techniques into making them the most bespoke and elaborately made cartoon they'd ever put out.

Unless I’m forgetting something X-Men only got a small handful of cartoons as well (the 90’s show, Evolution, and an Japanese miniseries or two)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

How could you forget Wolverine and the X-Men?

Oh yeah, that too (there was also a one shot called Pryde of the X-Men)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The X-Men cartoons also had a habit of being cancelled prematurely for some reason (only the 90’s show got something even close to an ending)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

That's because nobody at the executive level really cared about kids cartoons and just wanted to get in, make some money and then get out to make the next thing.

A pity because Evolution and Wolverine were pretty good in my opinion

Off the subject, I checked out a few of the Fleischer Superman shorts for the first time. Not only does the animation still hold up really well but surprisingly for the time they actually let Lois be kind of badass occasionally (like shooting at robbers with a loving machine gun)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 14, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

It was WW2, we even let women play baseball back then.

True, and to be fair though she often got in over her head I think even in the original comics Lois was typically portrayed as fairly competent/smarter than Clark (a trend that continues to this day in most Superman media though nowadays her and Clark are more like equal partners rather than damsel and hero)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I noticed in the intro they mention that Clark was found by someone and placed in an orphanage after landing on Earth, were the Kents a later addition to the mythos or something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is the Gargoyles comic any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I think a lot people forget Gargoyles fell off a cliff at the end there with the move to ABC. Though, I don't remember if Weissman was actually involved with The Goliath Chronicles.

As I understand it, he wrote the first episode of TGC and then Disney fired him (he’s involved with the comics though which apparently are closer to his original vision of the third season but I’m not sure if those were ever finished/are still going or not)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Disney must be banking hard on the X-Men ‘97 series as despite not even having a concrete release date it’s already been greenlit for a second season:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/x-men-97-season-2-i-think-youre-gonna-love-it-lenore-zann-rogue/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They apparently got at least a few of the 90’s VAs back for it as well. Last I checked it’s currently slated for fall of this year though there are rumblings that it might wind up getting delayed to 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, poo poo just got real in MAWS this week (also we meet this universe’s version of Vicki Vale and Lex returns as well). Looking forward to Part 2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Seeing Superman get exhausted and sleep deprived is neat. At this point in the comics I think he usually just flies into the sun if he gets tired or something.

I'm really curious how (if?) Alex is going to become Lex Luthor. Going from Ivo's not-particularly-glamarous-engineer-guy to Superman's archenemy would be a hell of a glow up.

Also, is Ivo going to still build Amazo now that he's Parasite? Does Amazo serve a purpose in a story where the Justice League doesn't exist(yet)?

Well he already has a deep hatred of Superman at least thanks to the incident with Ivo but yeah, I’ll be curious how/if this Lex winds up going from what he is now to Superman’s #1 enemy (though we likely won’t see it happen until at least Season 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

They haven't mentioned it in the cartoon, but isn't Lex Corp something Lex Luthor's dad started in a lot continuities? Like, the Lex Luthor we know as Superman's arch-nemesis is Alex Luthor Jr? Dad wanted him to get some experience where the nepotism wouldn't be as obvious but now he knows the most about Superman of anyone Lex Corp has a connection too, and then something happens to Alex Luthor Sr. so he get's the company?

That makes sense considering a lot of the characters we’ve seen so far are just starting out their careers (though in most continuities Ivo works for him rather than the other way around but in this case the former’s now Parasite and is currently part of the Not Suicide Squad)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 19, 2023