Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I get it's popular to poo poo on Azzarello because of The Killing Joke (and based on everything I've heard, he deserves it), but I thought his Wonder Woman was pretty drat good, and I remember it being highly praised while it was coming out.

and based on everything i've seen of him, not even just The Killing Joke, that baffles me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man why does everybody just love to hate on poor little ol me ;_;

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that I don't see the value in endlessly ranting about something, especially when my entire angle on that thing is asinine and clearly motivated by fanboyism of a lovely character. But please feel free to continue judging me as a person for disagreeing with one thing you said in your gigantic idiotic rant.

"Oh no! He thinks one of the universally agreed 3 best Batman comics is good! What a piece of poo poo!"

I guess if I'd posted 600 words about something as blatantly obvious as "The Killing Joke is an extremely well thought-out masterpiece that defined Batman and Joker's relationship for decades" you'd be totally cool with it, and not be throwing a dumb tantrum about its mistreatment of one of DC's most boring characters. Clearly the problem is with my conciseness and not your stupid childish grudge with a well-respected author.

You dumb motherfucker.

nope cant possibly see a reason

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well i hope they fired whoever did write that stuff because even outside of all that it was real baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. its like someone sat down and thought "MAN I REALLY GOTTA REINFORCE THAT EVERYONE IN ARKHAM CITY IS A BAD MAN WHO DOES BAD THINGS AND YOU SHOULD FEEL NO REMORSE ABOUT BREAKING ALL OF THEIR LIMBS" and then didn't actually put anymore thought past that before writing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

Anyone sporting an unironic SFP avatar cannot be trusted when it comes to opinions on superheroes.

it's not unironic

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I thought we all agreed that blue Nightwing was better?

can't have two black/blue color schemes in one team, that'd be crazy!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-O posted:

I never watched X-Men Evolution but this makes me not want to.

The only X-Men cartoon I ever liked was Wolverine and the X-Men.

You are just a bastion of amazing taste

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

but what about Forerunner guys!?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i was just minding my business, having a fine day and you come along and do this to me. i can't believe it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

archie's weird mysteries

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i feel like every Harley Quinn redesign since the initial one has just been the artists getting closer and closer to Jeanette Voermann from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

"Slutty Schoolgirl" isn't a particularly unique concept.

the blonde pigtails, eye makeup and super pale skin are more what i'm looking at

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I always think VtMB came out way earlier than it actually did so yeah, it actually makes sense that Jeanette's design was more likely inspired by Harley Quinn than the reverse

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

howe_sam posted:

The gently caress is going on with those pants?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the 2011 reboot was just a shameless aping of the Avatar faux-anime style and also fuckin sucked

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

No, this happened before. Daisy Ridley left instagram before TLJ came out, John Boyega got a TON of crap just for being a black man in Star Wars, and fan response played a role in both Jake Lloyd's mental breakdown and Hayden Christensen giving up acting.

those last two things are insane lies

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

All I'm saying is I wouldn't use the word "smooth" to describe this.

smooth as a shark, baby

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has there ever been an incarnation of Spider-Man that actually had a NYC accent?

Andrew Garfield gave him a hilarious gruff Queens accent in the Amazing Spider-man movies

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that's a Bloodborne hunter

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe this is just my spotty memory of being a child but i remember kids cartoons just being like that even years ago. there wasn't really a set release schedule, sometimes new episodes of stuff would just, like, happen

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I mean the first season told a relatively complete story, it just left hooks for a potential season 2 with Mister Sinister and I think Apocalypse? it's been a bit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it's pretty hard for me to imagine a situation where Green Lantern's ring is completely worthless but a handgun is going to save the day. I'm not saying they don't exist but "I need it for backup" really assumes Earth Bullets are going to do poo poo against 90% of what GLs are dealing with.

I think early on in the run where he became Green Lantern, the ring kept conking out on him and not working when he needed it to, hence the gun "for backup"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that music video is an excerpt from a full-length CGI animated movie

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

the whole thing isnt cgi animated, just a couple of the songs. a bunch of animation studios worked on it

oh i didn't know it was a collaboration movie, thats cool

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

eventually people are going to stop a.) making that joke and b.) reacting to people making that joke like they've never ever heard it before

Alaois fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 15, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Emma Frost burnt down her family stable, burning her favorite horse alive. Which is loving insane given that every other interaction Frost has with mutant kids, she's not always a good person, but is very protective of them. Intentionally killing a favorite pet in a gruesome manner is so out of character.

yeah but it lets me ask people "remember that time Emma Frost blew up a horse"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, he was Australian in both. Which I guess means that Spiderman and his Amazing Friends is in the same universe.

Honestly, making Wolverine Australian seems like it works. The character plays more into Australian stereotypes than Canadian, and since that particular team roster had an international focus, Australia is more exotic than Canada. The movies also cast Wolverine as an Australian. And X-Men: Evolution, too.

evolution absolutely does not cast wolverine as australian, he's played by an australian but he's not using an australian accent

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Unfortunately I can't find the full unedited fight with Apocalypse but here is Pyro watching the ending on instant replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecPgWj4jpw

this might actually be my favorite little moment in the series; Pyro, one of Magneto's acolytes, watching Magneto get completely vaporized by Apocalypse on a loop and laughing his head off

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think any of his Acolytes - except, oddly once again, Sabretooth - really liked him. Pyro is clearly just a psycho who probably enjoys any chance he gets to burn poo poo, I don't recall what Gambit's deal was, and I'm pretty sure Mags blackmailed Colossus into working for him via threat of hurting Colossus' family. He does something similar to Angel to try and get him on his side, turning a mob against him.

considering evolution gambit, he probably just offered to pay him a lot of money

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sockser posted:

self-counterpoint:
Evolution did Gambit dirty
but they also mainlined Pyro
so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad, really.

one of my favorite scenes in the series is when we see Pyro watching Magneto, his former boss, seemingly get killed by Apocalypse on a loop and just laughing his head off

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mad Stan is an extended cameo and reference to Henry Rollins role in the hit 1995 cyberpunk classic film Johnny Mnemonic, and that's really all it needs to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOovtZXYqj4

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Random question: About what point does X-Men Evolution get good? I always heard it really catches its footing later in the series, but I've never been able to make it past the first 4 or 5 eps. So, it'll probably be easier for me to just skip to the good poo poo.

The first season is rough, the second season is better, the third season is cookin

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men sticks out for the odd choice to make Wolverine the leader (which is fine, I guess) but still keep Cyclops and put him in a trench coat and be really mopey. The line between genius and madness is very small.

he's technically supposed to be a widower but The Most Divorced Man Alive Scott Summers was a very funny spin on the character imo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-Men Evolution's second intro is great with the sole exception of the Howie Scream that sticks out like a sore thumb

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Always regret we didn't get the planned final season of Evolution which would have made Rogue and Scott a couple.

man we didn't even get all of the planned episodes of the last season, they had to put important story details into a "Previously On" in the last episode that showed scenes of an episode that didn't air lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The wild man of Borneo

See you around

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Wait I always thought that was an edit. And I'm just now learning this is the actual real clip?

yeah for real lmao i always thought it was a joke

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ah the creature commandos, everyones favorite high concept that i dont think have ever actually been in a good story

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my primary question is why is Kevin Smith's Epic Serial Killer Guy Onomatopoeia there

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think ive said this before but as an outsider to comics for most of my life i was always really confused about the hate cyclops got because i watched X-Men Evolution as a kid and he's great in that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

He is. Pretty much every character is great in Evo, though.

yeah

yeah they were...