Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Batman / Wonder Woman was a Joe Kelly thing from JLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question:

I've never really been into TMNT. I know there's three or four different cartoons and they all have something like 150 episodes each. Are they all sequential or are they reboots each time?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand why I was never into either TMNT or Power Rangers when I was little. They're both things I feel like I should have liked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

In retrospect I, and I suspect a lot of other kids in that age group, were in it for the toys/video games/etc and the show was basically secondary.

I sure as gently caress can't tell you anything about any episode of TMNT but let me tell you about the PIZZA SHOOTER.

Pokémon has a weird status for me, because in my school, some people liked the games and most people liked the anime, but everyone was completely obsessed with the trading cards, even though I don't think a single person actually knew how to play the game. It was all about collecting them and swapping them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite superhero cartoon when I was little was Gargoyles and I was big into the Jonny Quest remake with all the dodgy CGI.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Sailor Moon is so cool.

I know Sailor Moon (which I think is kind of a superhero show - she has special powers and a secret identity) was localised in the early nineties but the first time I saw it was in the late nineties when it was on Fox Kids in the UK and all its adverts made it out to be the next Dragon Ball Z.

Worth revisiting?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, absolutely, I know what it is. It's just that one of my two abiding memories of it was how it was sold very hard by Fox Kids as "just Dragon Ball Z but with girls" because DBZ was super-popular on Cartoon Network and they wanted a slice of the pie. Nickelodeon did the same with Cardcaptor Sakura.

My other abiding memory of Sailor Moon is that for a long time I thought it was a cartoon version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, because a) the name "Serena" sounds kind of like "Serena" if you're not paying enough attention; b) they were both blonde girls who had magic powers; and c) their sidekicks were talking black cats. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I agree.

Haha, I sure hosed that one up. :downs:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't into Transformers either when I was little. I remember trying Beast Wars but finding it hard to follow the plot because I missed too many episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Roughnecks. It was on Sky One in the morning before I went to school.

Does anyone remember the CGI tv adaptation of Heavy Gear? I remember enjoying that one while it lasted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toshimo posted:

What was the lame rear end knock off transformers where they didn't turn into planes or cars or dinosaurs, but instead turned into regular loving rocks?

I don't get it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best 80s toy commercials need to rap the disclaimers at the end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

If Spider-Gwen had been a manga we would have at least gotten multiple issues exploring black female Captain America's story, how she came to be involved with the Super Soldier program, how she survived from the past to the present, who her family was, who she loved and lost and why they mattered to her. That doesn't mean that it would be good because there's plenty of trash manga too but at least in manga the creators say "hmmm if I want to the audience to care about this character I need to invest time and space into showing them why she's important."

Over-long flashbacks and diversions into the backstories of side characters are why I quit reading both Naruto and Bleach. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if that one Scooby episode where Adam West guest-starred as Batman was my first exposure to Batman but it's bound to be close to it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're looking for a superhero comic that's sort of like manga, inasmuch as it is a continuing series by a single creative team which seldom retcons anything and doesn't become bogged down in crossovers... I guess you might give Invincible a try? :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Morrison also has a good run on JLA that's worth checking out. Kurt Busiek's Avengers is a classic, Geoff Johns on Teen Titans is a bit more approachable than New Teen Titans for somebody not used to older comics yet, and the Abnett Guardians of the Galaxy has some pretty good stuff in it.

They're all good, but a lot of them are things I think you'd recommend who's already on board with superhero comics. I think Morrison JLA, for instance, presumes familiarity with all sorts of Fourth World stuff, and it has this decent-sized stretch where Superman is Superman Blue, then in another issue he isn't any more, because that's what was happening in the Superman comics at the time and there's not really any explanation for it in the JLA issues themselves.

Geoff Johns on Teen Titans, likewise, ties in a bunch with other books and crossovers and particularly Infinite Crisis - there's a couple of issues which might as well be issues of Infinite Crisis. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I think it relies too much on DC comics minutiae to be approachable, at least compared with New Teen Titans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, it doesn't bother me overmuch either, but I'm mindful that they said it's something that's put them off comics, so I thought I'd mention it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Serialised storytelling is overrated in any event. There's nothing wrong with it but it isn't the be-all and end-all - sometimes you want to be able to drop in and out and not feel too lost rather than having to go to the very beginning and start from there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's awfully close to being Harley Quinn - Steampunk Version.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah maybe I was having some kind of fever dream. Outside of Lego Movie, a quick google doesn't yield any results for CG stop motion feature films. Everything else is hybrid. Even Lego Movie is technically a hybrid, thought it is "mostly CG".

There was Flushed Away which was CG made to look like an Aardman movie. (Might not be the same thing you're talking about.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That story had some pretty good Alan Davis art but that's all I remember from it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The angular style sort of reminds me of Samurai Jack, although not as good because the designs are all a bit busier. I like Usagi Yojimbo. It would be cool if there was an Usagi Yojimbo cartoon.

I've never been into TMNT but I've always thought I'd like to be. I will ask about comics in the recommendation thread but how about the cartoons? Are any of them like Gargoyles or Batman TAS, which I think have something for all ages to enjoy, or are they more of a "you had to be there" thing?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as cartoons making confusing changes go, I remember being really confused when The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog introduced loads of new characters and stopped being fun and it wasn't until years later that I learned it had been replaced by SatAM Sonic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know Harley has been popular since Batman TAS (I like her but she's just another character to me), but when and why did she undergo this explosion in popularity in the past five (?) years?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurui Reiten posted:

They switched her from Joker's abusive relationship to bubble gum psycho girl, and started pushing her as a wacky, random character who was so totally a rebel.

I see. I suppose that's why I don't get it. I don't tend to like that kind of character.

At the same time, if that is getting new people into comics who wouldn't have been otherwise, then I'm sure all would agree that this is a good thing on balance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even Jim Cummings?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This video made me realise that Jim Cummings has three basic voices and varies them with different accents: 1. Tigger; 2. Pooh Bear; and 3. Darkwing Duck. :D

(But seriously, I think Jim Cummings is great.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a petty bastard sometimes, which is why my favourite episode of Teen Titans Go! that I've seen was "Let's Get Serious". People take fiction too personally most of the time and the amount of :qq: over that episode was most amusing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who did that story where Doomsday came back (again) and his adaptation this time was that he'd developed intelligence, but it meant that he was weaker than before because now he could comprehend and experience fear?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think people only get cross at silly versions of previously serious shows rather than shows that start off silly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a petty wee bastard sometimes, so I enjoy the TTG episode where they get serious partly on its own merits (I do think it's funny as a parody of the Marv Wolfman comics) and partly because of how much it upsets people.

Like I said, I think people get more upset with cartoons that used to be "serious" getting a "silly" reimagining. I don't know if it goes the other way, though; the only example I can think of is Loonatics Unleashed which I thought was pretty dull. I remember about eight years interacting with a guy on a forum who was convinced that it was the best use of the Looney Tunes ever because it was "so adult". (:rolleyes:) (He was also tricked into admitting that he regularly masturbated to Lola Bunny.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 19, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most people know how great the second Iron Man animated opening theme was, but who remembers how the first was as bad as the second was good? (Also, is there anything more 90s than the fact that his team on that show was loving Force Works?)

While I was looking for that, I had a bit of a nostalgic moment when I found the intro for another cartoon I remember airing as part of a block with reruns of X-Men '92 and the Marvel Action Hour. Who else remembers the animated version of Diabolik?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Diabolik! I am actually unfamiliar with Diabolik, I read Grendel and was intrigued by the Euro-Crime stuff it was inspired by, like Fantomas and Diabolik, and I found the first episode of the show on Youtube or something. Wish Netflix hadn't removed the Fantomas serials...

I'm not hugely familiar with Diabolik either but it's possibly the most successful comic series created by two women.

quote:

Is that Iron Man intro (the bad one) missing sounds or...? It sounds real anaemic, like it's missing some background drums or something.

No, that's the way it sounded on tv.

The other action cartoon I remember from that era - this one wasn't on Fox Kids, it ran on the Cartoon Network spin-off channel CNX - was Chris Colorado, which was about this soldier of fortune in a post-apocalyptic world. It may or may not hold up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

business hammocks posted:

I will accept the mullet as a 90s thing, but why is he dressed like he’s on Miami Vice?

Hey, white Armani suit jackets with the sleeves rolled up and loafers with no socks will never go out of style.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would be prepared to bet that, despite all their nastiness now about this, most of these people probably liked My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic when it showed up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I assume none of these people really care about Thundercats and it's just a useful wedge for them. They're like that guy who was bragging about being responsible for review-bombing Last Jedi on Rotten Tomatoes: obviously he doesn't care about Star Wars or about DC movies being unfairly treated by Disney's :qq: BRIBED :qq: critics; he's just angry because he believes Disney and Marvel and Lucasfilm are all run by SJWs and only care about making movies for SJWs and not him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

It's fine to take something for girls and change it.

A lot of it is "it used to be SERIOUS :qq:" and then I remember people on TV Tropes insisting that MLP was "surprisingly dark" and that kind of thing, so I watched half a dozen episodes and realised no, of course it loving wasn't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

duck trucker posted:

How DARE they subject the Ro-Bear Berbils to that design.

I don't get people getting upset over this and I watched the poo poo out of the original as a kid. Hell if this does well it'll bring more light on the old series and there'll be an incentive to bring that back as a comic/miniseries/movie/anything. They should be excited that Thundercats isn't being completely forgotten.

I remember there was a Thundercats reboot comic about 10 years ago. Wilykit had grown up to become Mumm-ra's sex slave while Cheetara was being held prisoner in his henchmen's sex dungeon.

I don't know if this series or a different one was the one that had the incredible line, "Tonight we mark our territory... with BLOOD!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like they have a pretty decent track record to me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't the Penny Arcade guys been whinging about "SJWs" themselves for ages at this point?