Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I've very excited about JL Action having Swamp Thing in it. I hope psychedelic yams are somehow involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

So do Teen Titans GO!'s creators just subsist off the tears of the fanboys of the original 00s Teen Titans cartoon or what?
Because I almost feel like the bait and switch moments are deliberately antagonistic at this point

It's kind of funny how I remember crusty jerks being absolutlely furious about the original Teen Titans cartoon not being Bruce Timm styled and ripping into the fans and now those fans are the crusty jerks.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It wasn't just Toon Zone, I remember people all over the internet screaming about how it was GODDAMN ANIMES

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't watch it because I found the anime-style flourishes to be offputting and the frenetic pacing of the dialogue obnoxious, but I didn't flip my lid about it either, or yell at people who liked the show. If I can be reasonable about things I don't like I don't see why everyone else can't.

This was "nuke Japan again for making DBZ" level commentary, brother

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I mean the original show is kind of an elephant in the room where the new one is concerned, and considering the nature of Teen Titans Go it would be kind of disingenuous if they never talked about it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Roth posted:

Teen Titans is still my favorite DC show, and I will never understood why Teen Titans Go sends people into such a frothing rage.

I think part of it is how Teen Titans ended, with the last episode being a cliffhanger. Like yeah, dumbdumbs were mad about Brave and the Bold, but since the DCAU lasted so long the "not MY Batman!" sentiment was pretty much the sole reason, whereas the reaction to TTG is that combined with resentment that the first show didn't go on for 20 seasons and had an unsatisfying ending to boot.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 12, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Don't the subsidiaries of WB compete with each other too, like Sears locations? I read that somewhere. Cartoon Network might resent DC or something.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jukebox Hero posted:

What an exciting and enchanting world you live in.

I think TTGo is sparkly bullshit, the equivalent of jangling keys in front of a baby while occasionally calling the baby's older brother an idiot for not laughing at this AWESOME KEYYYY JANGLINGGGGG whipcrack whipcrack whoosh sound effect.

Anybody else remember Johnny Test? TTG is in the same category in my mind. Sound effects and sparkles to keep the seven year olds sitting at attention.

Sir, this is a Denny's

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had not seen such hatred for a cartoon character since Scrappy Doo. To hear some of the comments online, you'd have thought Test was Satan incarnate sent to this world to devour all hope and sunshine.

Well, it's a pretty badly written and poorly animated cartoon at least.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

They might have broadcasted it out of order, wasn't it one of those shows that went into syndication almost instantly?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Actually Roy Harper is a big fan of Love and Rockets and he took the name Speedy in honor of Speedy Ortiz, RIP.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Hey, they're technically right as the first Teen Titans cartoon was made back in 1967 by Filmation. It's not Go's fault that there are people still obsessing about how insulting it is to some faux 2004 anime show that's now being shown again on CN because GO's apparently still so goddamn profitable.

This is weird, it really makes the Teen Titans a generic superhero team. Like, they never had a mountain headquarters or anything like that.

Dexie posted:

I had to check, because there was no way that Spider-Man TAS did the Symbiote by episode 8. No way.

Motherfucker. :stare:

Checking the seven episodes before, and man. This show was even more of a trip than I remember. We start off with the Lizard, and then immediately follow it up with a two-parter about the Spider Slayers, then Doc Ock, Mysterio, Scorpion, and Kraven.

Venom is both introduced and seemingly taken care of in episode 10, and then doesn't return until episode 37, an episode that featured motherfuckin' Dormammu? :stare: I don't remember Dormammu being in this show!

Maybe I should re-watch this nonsense sometime.

It was 1995, and Venom was one of the coolest characters in comics. Of course they weren't going to wait that long. Weird that he disappeared that long though... And yeah it eventually becomes a home for disparate Marvel characters of all kinds. Like that weirdo Secret Wars storyline that the series ended with.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH.

People now rightly talk about how loving funny the X-Men cartoon was, but a similar case can be made for Spider-Man.

I NEED MORE PLASMA

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Unmature posted:

I thought he was called Speedy because of his addictions

No, he had a golden arm, if his nickname came from his addiction, he would be called Jazzy.

Skwirl posted:

Amphetamines weren't a thing in the 60s.

Not really true, American soldiers and the Nazis used speed, for example. But you're right that it didn't become a societal problem in America until much later.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 18, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Between everyone being a little gothy and Harley Quinn's Osh-Koshes, that is 90s as hell.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's a pitch from 2010.

I know.

If this happened Melissa Joan Hart should have voiced Harley is all I'm saying.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It's Smallarrow. Or Arrowville, I guess.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The scene where they show Brucey standing on that roof with his trench at an angle makes me think they're intentionally riffing on the Batman TAS intro.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It needs the Kingpin and Hobgoblin to fully be a tribute to 90s Spidey. Also Kraven's Amazing Hunt better be a full-on adaption of Kraven's Last Hunt

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The water cooler cartoon when I was a kid was X-Men. Nobody really talked about anything else as much.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember the CGI tv adaptation of Heavy Gear? I remember enjoying that one while it lasted.

People the Heavy Gear tabletop game fandom really, really hated that show.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

Toby Huss's Joker is going to Japan to kill fitty men.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jack Kirby and Osamu Tezuka would team up to defeat the forces of anti-life, injustice and hatred.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

wdarkk posted:

So now we have the reverse question, why isn't manga like that? Is it because the creators own the copyright?

That, and there wasn't as strong a sense that the creators were disposable early on in manga as there was in pre-war to 60s Western comics. Poorly treated and compensated assistants who are uncredited were and are used by manga publishers to make up for that though. And some Disney comics creators internationally still don't get credit.

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry what do you mean by "none of the stories had continuity"? Do you just mean that things happening in one book may or may not affect what's happening in others?

Seeing as how he's coming from manga I assume he means one continuous story told by one creator from beginning to end.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 30, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd assume this is had a major part in comics declining. Too many stories to keep track of and readers not caring or bonding with the characters or world enough.

I think that played a role but the main cause was that the collector's bubble burst in a bad way in the mid 90s and drove a lot of people away from the medium. Anyway, of course the halcyon days of Superman selling a million issues are never coming back, but some of that is because the world has changed and people have a thousand other forms of entertainment, many cheaper and offering more hours per dollar. Sci-fi pulp novels don't sell a billion copies anymore either.

Anyway I hope you stick around. One caution, I've noticed that in general comics people are terrible at making suggestions for manga people, and it often ends up souring people on the whole deal. Like when ADTRW and BSS were trying to do that cultural exchange program with the two threads, the BSS manga suggestion thread is still active but the ADTRW comics thread went down in flames, probably partially because it opened with suggesting Transformers comics. Those particular comics are pretty alright but it's an odd footing to start on, it's like if the manga thread had an op pushing Super Sentai manga or something IDK. Of course this is all exacerbated by many comics fans thinking one size fits all suggestions are the way to go with everything. If you want some suggestions I'm willing to offer them but you'd have to tell me the kinds of things you like first.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

There's lots and lots of American comics like that though? Not so much Marvel/DC, but there's plenty of indie books that run for years with one set of creators, or at worst, one writer with multiple artists.

Some manga readers who don't have much experience with American comics don't really know that too well. Seeing as this guy is talking about superheroes I'm assuming this is the case, but maybe I'm being unfair.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Actually suggesting something written by Geoff Johns to someone trying to get into cape comics is an example of the kind of problem I mentioned in my earlier post.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I can't help but feel there's a better thread for this discussion.

I'm thinking of starting a thread about discussing people getting into comics, both trying to get into them and trying to get others into them

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The only VA improvement I can think of offhand is Orion, who was voiced by one of the gladiators from the Star Trek episode with the quatloos in Superman and Ron Perlman in Justice League.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here he is in one of his first gigs:

Jeff Lynne Man posts ELO trivia fact :thunk:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I think Harley in general is pretty terrible outside of Batman the Animated Series

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

They should make Batmanime Alfred a Portugese trader

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

What about Jean Gray? She destroyed entire star systems as the Phoenix.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

They should give him a jitte. Specifically, Umezawa's Jitte. I would like to see a TMNT/MtG crossover.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's not a Sierra game, so yeah.

Quest for Glory 1-4 and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father would like a word.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mulva posted:

Most of the Space Quests too. Really I think it's actually the minority that *don't* hold up.

I assume Lurdiak's main objection to the Sierra games is deaths, dead man walking scenarios and moon logic puzzles. The Space Quests are still very funny, but they're packed to the brim with those. Personally I've played all the Sierra adventures so many times I can sleepwalk through them all so it doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would someone else.

QfG and GK1 don't really have those problems though, they're the most well designed and the games even the most hardened LucasArts partisans usually respect