Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somehow Batman was the last cartoon allowed to have realistic guns for a long time. DC cartoons at around that time were all iconic period pieces while Mavel's cartoons were all messy soap operas with vague general access to absurdly futuristic technology. It ages less well, but it's definitely exciting.

I hope that Barnes was paid well for his work on the cartoon, because so many episodes are just marathons of him recapping, quipping, explaining, and reacting. 90s Spiderman just couldn't brood in silence.

Gargoyles often had real guns too, even if it did also include plenty of more sci-fi stuff too(though it actually bothered to explain where that stuff came from rather than have it appear out of nowhere)

Gaz-L posted:

Some producers of content for kids are convinced that if there's not dialogue at all times that the little darlings' eyes will glaze over and the TV magically shuts off.

This is especially apparent in the several seasons of Power Rangers made between Saban buying the rights back and him selling the franchise to Hasbro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That's kinda different since the Mephisto stuff is clearly them doing more setup for an event surrounding him as he's been showing up a lot the last couple of years in various comics, including quite a few hints towards OMD and his involvement there

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

JLA has Dana Snyder voice Plastic Man which is possibly the best superhero casting ever.

I dunno, Tom Kenny as Plastic Man in BTBAB was pretty drat good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bessantj posted:

Was Gotham by Gaslight any good?

It was definitely unique, ended up having almost nothing in common with the original comic though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I think that one is counted as a Superman episode.

Nope it was on my BTAS boxset from like a decade ago

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

site posted:

There are 3 of them?? Lol

He's talking about the video games, not the movie

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I thought his The Dark Knight Returns version had some rather good voice acting too, and his The Batman incarnation was great as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

The episode where Joker tries to be Batman and gasses people committing really minor infractions is one of my favorites.

Yeah that was a classic episode, though one of my favorite moments with him is in the first episode, though less for him and more on Batman's part, first thing Bruce does when they first meet isn't to try and beat him into paste like most versions of Batman would, he instead tries to talk him down and wants to help him, and only uses violence once Joker males it clear he won't stand down

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Hey, now. I think they did a pretty awesome job with a joke badguy from the Golden Age. :colbert:

They should try that next with Bullseye the Clown

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty sure that’s not the Harley show. I think Justice League Dark got a new movie.

More than that, they basically pulled an Ultimatum on that DC animated movie universe with that movie, indeed I'd argue they did it dirtier than that

Vandar posted:

It's amazing how they keep finding worse and worse designs for Harley.

Honestly I thought it was a decent enough one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheHan posted:

Crisis on Two Earths always felt like a really natural continuation of the DCAU without treading the same ground. New voice cast but same tone and art style. The movies that try to copy it like Fatal Five did just feel off (though not a bad movie) or in Batman & Harley Quinn’s case, rancid.

That's because it's based on an old pitch for a Justice League TV movie that never got made that was supposed to bridge the first series and JLU together

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so apparently The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers are getting a cartoon, with a preview mini-episode having been released yesterday;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB20_GvGXxY

unfortunately it's not very good, but maybe the full show will be better

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That is a deep cut.

Apparently people have been trying to bring the Freak Brothers to the screen for decades, which isn't all that surprising because the original comics are some of the funniest I've ever read

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

So against my better judgement I'm watching the new Justice League Dark and Raven just dropped an F-bomb in front of Superman, I would have assumed if any one was gonna do it, it'd be John Constantine.

Is this the first time someone's dropped an f-bomb in front of Superman?

In animation probably, almost definitely has happened in the comics, if in a censored form

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

They probably aren't going to try extending it again because they realized that would give them too much bad publicity and it's not really necessary because while copyright eventually expires, trademarks don't as long as they continue seeing use

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

Yeah, the last full X-Men cartoon was Wolverine and the X-Men in 2009, although it got cancelled after one season. There was also a limited series of "Marvel Anime" (in conjunction with Madhouse) in 2011 about the X-Men, sandwiched in between a Wolverine solo series and one about Blade.

Weird to think that the X-Men used to be Marvel's flagship title for about three solid decades.

There was also an Iron Man anime during that period

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sockser posted:

A clip from the Harley Quinn cartoon showed up in my YouTube recs, and I decided to click it, and I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't seem to be the complete screaming mess that all the trailers made it out to be

So I signed up for a trial of DC universe and watched the whole series in two days and absolutely loved it. Humor hits the right notes, it never feels like they're swearing just because they can, the storyline is dang solid, and all of the voice casting felt perfect.

So while I've got this DC universe trial going, figured I'd catch up on some of the animated films I haven't seen. Currently watching Batman vs Robin and... I really hate both the character design and the voice acting.

A quick glance at wikipedia suggests that the VA for Damian has basically become the go-to for Damian for the past five years, so uh, not looking forward to the rest of these.

e: having Kevin Conroy as Thomas Wayne is a real kick in the knackers

If you haven't watched the adaptations for Batman Year One and The Dark Knight Returns yet you really should, also it has very little to do with the source material besides a couple surface details but the movie for Gotham by Gaslight was pretty fun, and lastly the Fleischer Superman shorts are always worth revisiting

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sockser posted:

I’ve seen both (all three) of those and loved them, loved Red Hood, Babel was okay, All Star Superman was fun, First Flight was decent, the Dark Knight anthology thing was good iirc, I do love the Fleisher cartoons but haven’t seen them in a solid decade so maybe I’ll take your advice and rewatch those

Are any of the recent animated films worth watching? I couldn’t finish Batman vs Robin, I just didn’t care enough after 20 minutes

Superman vs The Elite is a fun little romp, and while it's nowhere near as good as the source material(minus one or two little segments) the movie for Justice League: The New Frontier is still quite excellent

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I forget if I posted about this before, but a couple months ago it was revealed that The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers(one of the most iconic Underground Comix of the 60's and 70's) was getting a cartoon and they released a "minisode" to promote it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB20_GvGXxY

that one was kinda bleh, they released a new one today that while a little cliche in it's parody is definitely a noticeable improvement over the first;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSLv3V2RzI

hopefully when the full series premieres in the fall(assuming it doesn't get delayed that is) it'll be even better, cause the original comics for the Freak Brothers are amazing and it'd be a shame for their first foray into a non comics medium to end up falling flat(honestly it kinda amazes me that it took this long)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Sorry but I'm not looking forward to the over the top gore and rape scenes

Yeah I'd mostly be interested in this if it turned out to be one of those "in name only" adaptations rather than anything actually accurate to the source material

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I always remember people asking for a fresh superhero series to jump onto when I worked at the FLCS and Invincible would have been perfect except I knew that would turn some of them off. Clearly it didn't hurt the book, but it honestly always felt jarring when it came up.

Astro City would be perfect for that if it weren't kinda a pain in the rear end to collect

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

What other comics were made irrelevant by their live action or animated adaptations?

Wanted and Kickass both come to mind

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Depending on how you view it, Logan (the movie) makes the comic Old Man Logan irrelevant.

I would argue that's kind of an apples-and-oranges comparison but I know a lot of people don't like OML so I don't begrudge them wanting to see Logan as a superior version that replaces the other.

I dunno I'd say the original Old Man Logan comic is still pretty decent, if edgier than it really needed to be(but it's honestly hard to find Superhero comics made past the mid 80's that don't run into that issue)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

There's been several attempts at continuing it in the comics and it never turns out well.

Because they always add some dumb twists to the formula rather than play it straight

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I love Batman Beyond, but I will admit I despise that it's the canon future for the DCAU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly the last couple of episodes of JLU give a pretty good reason why the Justice League would wind down from it's height of having dozens of members to the rather pathetic state it's in by Beyond's time, most of the world's super villains are dead, so I imagine most of the League had retired by the time the Return of The Joker flashback scenes happened, let alone by Bruce's retirement as Batman about a decade or so later(especially since most of the League's funding probably vanished when Bruce quit being a member)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Or better yet dial things back to Batman 66 levels so most of the villains are essentially harmless

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Unmature posted:

I think it would be a cool experiment to have some social analysts and futurists come in and give DC/Marvel a layout of ways superheroes could measurably fix the world if they existed and run with that for a while. Show us what could happen if Batman really did donate enough money. They’re gonna reboot the universe every two years anyway, why not try it.

One of my favorite threads on another forum is about exploring a version of the DC universe where time moves continuously from Superman's debut in 1938 to the present day and generally treats Superheroes as having had a positive impact on the world at large

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I thought they'd been explicit about what state it was in in the comics before. For some reason I've got it in my head Metropolis is in Delaware.

Yeah the same place where Gotham is declared to be in New Jersey stated Metropolis to be in Delaware(this would have been the old West End Games DC RPG I believe)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do the more modern versions of Superman's origin story have to make a big deal of the Kents having to get him a social security number?

He's just another anchorbaby that they gotta deport into space.

I know at least one take on the story has the Kent's pass him off as being theirs because an unusually powerful winter(indirectly caused by Krypton debris that followed Clark's ship) kept Smallville snowed in long enough that they were able to claim that Martha had just gone through most of the pregnancy and given birth during it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

The only thing that bothers me about Superhero Girls is that Bumblebee's the shy character when Jessica Cruz's whole comic backstory is that she is literally agoraphobic so she's a very awkward fit for a Green Lantern. I get that shrinking is a good visual shorthand though, I see why they did it, but it still irks me.

I'm guessing they did it mostly to differentiate Bumblebee from prior animated versions of her

Well that and Lauren Faust clearly doing some copy pasting of archetypes from Pastel Talking Horse Show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also Jessica initially wasn't a Green Lantern, at first she used the ring of Earth 3's Power Ring which fed off her fear instead of willpower

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, but otoh miles needs this for his mythos:
90s Peter never found Mary Jane, Unlimited is stuck on some venom tower, Spectacular won't get Gwen and Norman is still at large, and now 2017 Miles has bees for a dad

I think MTV Spider-Man might have had some hanging plots too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

You realise that would make it worse, right?

Not only does that mean you'd have to have Bruce Wayne still be fertile in his 50's/60's (possible. Maybe he trained his sperm to be the best.)
But he would have to get to know Terry's mum, have an affair with her. Continue the affair long enough so that he would know that Terry is born and is his kid.
Then continue the affair, produce Terry's younger brother.
Than break it off and cut those kids out of his life.

Yes Bruce refusing family is a part of his character. But only out of safety. He doesn't try and actually remove or disown his literal children.

Guys don't really have a menopause equivalent you know, so even Bruce during Batman Beyond's present could still end up getting someone pregnant hypothetically

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Yes. They're rebranding it to DC Universe Infinite and focusing on the comic stuff, moving the delay to 6 months and everything TV just got moved over to HBO Max instead. I think the only TV show not making the move is Stargirl which is just going to be a straight up CW show next season. It is still going to be on HBO Max, just not going to premier on it.

Not everything has made it over yet, a lot of the animated shows and movies are still missing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If nothing else that episode gave us the section with Bruce and Ace

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I thought The Batman started off pretty strongly outside of being a bit heavy handed with how Toyetic it is at times and some of the villains being a bit undercooked(pretty much just Mr Freeze, Bane, and Catwoman though), and remained strong throughout almost all of it's run except for maybe the finale which was kinda weak and how it's version of the Justice League was an utter sausage fest

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That sounds right. If I'm not mistaken it was a victim of the Cartoon Network imitative to strangle all their action shows as fast as they could because they decided whatever else was the hot thing to chase at the time.

Really more that CN hated having to deal with shows from other Time-Warner subsidiaries cause they don't get all the money from airing them like with their own shows, hence why pretty much everything from either DC or WB Animation would end up dying a swift ignoble death, only reason Teen Titans Go didn't suffer a similar fate is because it got stupid popular and cause CN was given a much larger piece of the revenue pie than in past DC shows

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mangaverse still got done way dirtier than Ultimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It is, however, a legit pet peeve of mine when body swap stories do the 'dub the other person's voice' thing. I get that it's no more or less work in animation, and hey, I love David Warner as much as all right-thinking people, but it just pulls me out of things because, like, your voice sounds like it does because of how your larynx is shaped and developed. Unless Ra's had his voicebox stuffed into Talia's throat, that voice ain't coming out like that.

One of the only times I've been fine with that old dead beaten horse of a trope was when Teen Titans did it and that was primarily because they had a good Doylist reason for it, they originally planned on doing it the way it should be done(voices don't swap, VA just talks like the swapped personality would) but it turned out that Raven and Starfire's VA's were too good at copying each other to the point that it was indistinguishable from doing it the usual way so they just did that instead for simplicity reasons

SlothfulCobra posted:

Zeta Project should've been a stronger show than it was, and I'm not sure what went wrong.

I think B:TAS has a lot more breathing room than the rest of the DCAU since it came first and had a lot more freedom to explore what it was going to be. Also when people first watch it before any of the rest of the DCAU, they won't be so harsh on the much slower episodes. The superman series doesn't really do like slowburning drama or noir in the same way, but it also doesn't have a very, very slow episode like the time Batman sent Alfred to a spa that turned out to be Poison Ivy turning wealthy people into wood. Or if it did have episodes that slow, I don't remember them.

It's also pretty silly that every villain could just get 2-4 henchmen working for them with themed outfits regardless of whatever their unique personal motivations and plan are. Joker just had a robot. I think Superman and Batman Beyond did a lot more logistics about where villains get their recruits.

Don't you dare disparage the gloriousness that is Captain Clown