Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pubic works project posted:

I still need to watch that and the Judas Contract. I think Judas Contract is on Hulu so I might watch that this weekend.

I always feel bad that and Terror of Trigon are the only Titans stories that exist. I mean, they're the only two I remember* but surely other stories have been written.

*Kidding, of course. There's also 'Who Is Donna Troy/Wonder Girl?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JLU also featured The Wall picking up the biggest Kirby Gun she could find and fighting Darkseid.

Oh, and Jeffery Combs' Question. Can't forget him.

Supergirl: "You go through my garbage!?"
Question: "Please. I go through everyone's garbage."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

A really bad Batman Beyond comic has Bruce knock Babs up and she later miscarries. It has since been thankfully written out of continuity, but still gets brought up in discussions as an example of "it could always be worse"

The Bruce/Babs thing is one of the worst things to come out of the Timmverse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, this has long been one of my favorite aspects of Batman. Also, TAS Bruce at least would always try to help the homeless and downtrodden as well as just donating a ton to charity. Not sure if that’s in the comics too.

It is. Bruce will give a job to about anybody he runs across and Wayne Industries does massive charity work. Possibly only outdone by LexCorp.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amazon Prime had the Batman & Harley Quinn up for free and I still couldn't make it halfway through. Although that Timm was involved did forewarn me we were going to get something airquotes sexy and sure enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

The scene with Harley farting a bunch is...weird. Like, Batman inhaling deeply and saying, "smells like discipline"? I cannot parse that. I still have no idea if it's a fetish or just a super weird failed attempt at comedy.

Why not both.gif.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

wow, I hate everyone involved with this, except for the voice actors

Poor Conroy struggles mightily under the weight of the discipline line, but even he can't carry it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't that story break years ago though? :stare:

Oh, yeah, but as far as I know that wasn't a reason they did it, or at least not a cited one. Also Schneider had a lot of stroke. I remember one of the articles citing as proof he was a dirty old man was one of his sitcoms that featured an episode with a before-mega-famous Ariana Grande getting sprayed with water while in a bikini top. He's super gross for being what I dimly remember as 'the funny fat one' on Howard Hessman's Head of the Class.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well, we can't let a dramatic moment hang in a DCA moment without some snark! That wouldn't be kosher.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thebardyspoon posted:

Didn't see it posted here but apparently they're doing an animated film of Hush coming out after the Death of Superman two parter. Probably with the same animation style and probably also a two-parter.

Bit of an uninspiring choice I think, Hush was hyped up a lot back when I first got back into comics but I feel like it kinda came and went and it's not particularly well remembered at this point, maybe I'm wrong about that. If you're going to adapt a Jeph Loeb book that has every character in it, sometimes for very spurious reasons, then you may as well adapt Long Halloween. Surprised they haven't done a Wonder Woman one based on those arcs from a few years back that were quite well liked.

Nah, you're not wrong. Nobody cares much about Hush aside from coming out of the prestige of having Jim Lee draw Batman, although he's probably due for a story that makes people sit up and take notice, like some writers have done with Bane.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A good friend of mine who's now doing work for Marvel told me the real reason Superman loses those fights is he remember Bruce's parents are dead and then throws them to make Bruce feel better about himself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't part of Hush's deal this angle of "Bruce Wayne became Batman because his parents died; Hush became Hush because his parents... didn't!"?

Man, I prefer Prometheus' inversion where it was 'saw his parents killed in front of him but they were Natural Born Killers-esque criminals.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame most of Prometheus's stories after his debut were terrible, cause the concept of an Anti Batman who specifically mirrors Batman in his role as a Justice League member is a pretty novel one*, although personally I'd tweak some aspects even more, like have him have a no kill code like Batman, but for twisted and selfish reasons, like how it makes "the game" more challenging

*I'm not counting Owlman for this

I like that twist, and yeah, Prometheus never really recovered from his heights of his introduction by Morrison.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuego Fish posted:

The good EMH, though. Not the Loeb version from season 2.

Ah, yes. The season where Loeb thought kids were to dumb for ongoing storylines.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ToastyPotato posted:

It literally had an ongoing plot though, didn't it? With the Skrulls?

The first season had a lot of story arcs, and then in the second season they teased Surtur and wen to single episode stories. They even didn't air an episode because it tied into the Surtur stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jeph Loeb is bad at comics writing and television production. Sadly he is a comics writer and television producer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How was the Legion series? You never hear anybody talk about it these days.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Travis sounds like he's having a fine ol' time as Thor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Marvel's animation has been in the toilet since Avengers EMH ended...if not while it was airing. They still using Man of Action?

Not like DC's doing any better lately though. But Batman Ninja looked nice at least.

As far as I can tell they're working on Big Hero 6 and Mega Man: Fully Charged. (Also Avengers Assemble still if that's ongoing.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I couldn't find this thread earlier and now I'm phone posting so you'll have to find it yourselves, but new Spiderverse trailer dropped, Jon Mulaney is playing Spider-Ham.

It is a blessed thing.

That almost sounds like Clancy Brown as Kingpin (which is more than fine, of course).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Man I'm trying to enjoy Secret Warriors but I just can't. It's just so bland in a way I can't describe. The animation isn't like Avengers Assemble or Ultimate Spider-Man but it's still just so dull to me.

The voice acting is very good, at least with Kamala and Doreen. Dove Cameron is a pleasant surprise as Gwen. So I think they have acting talent, but... yeah, kinda meh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For as much as the TTG people claim not to care what older fans think (and they shouldn't, TTG is a different animal), they sure do come off defensive sometimes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite episode of original Teen Titans was either the one where the evil stage magician turned them all into animals or the one where the Mad Mod turns their city into a pop art Beatlemania world.

I like people forget they had actual changes in theme song to signal 'this episode is going to be wacky.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Episodes with English OP were *serious, episodes with English OP were goofy, and episodes with the Japanese OP were extra zany.

*a few times per season

Yeah. If we're being honest, stuff like their version of the Judas Contract or the Terror of Trigon were few and far between.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My only problem with Peter's voice, and it's not really, is I keep trying to mentally match it up with his voice from the game and there Yuri Lowenthal knocked it out of the park. It'll be fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

The original wasn't really the kind of show that had season long character arcs.

Yeah, it was super in the mold of the twenty-two minute toy commercial. Set-up/Problem/Moral done.

One minus I guess is that the Horde does not look as visually impressive as they did. They had weirder-looking henchmen than even Skeletor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

I love how they completely rehabilitated Bow and Glimmer while still staying weirdly true to their original characters of "smug guy" and "useless idiot who gets captured all the time". Like, instead of being useless, Glimmer is just a powerful but incautious warrior. Likewise Bow's smugness is mostly in the service of providing emotional support for his friends.

They've sort of made him Sokka is the best correlation I can think of. Which is fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

New season of Young Justice hits January 4th.

I guess that's when I use my free trial. I wonder if Titans ever got good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Having recently re-watched the first two seasons, boy were Weisman's particular storytelling fetishes on display. The 'according to plan' especially. Even when the villains seem to lose big, nah. Less so but in a way more irritating were the weird stand-up routines regarding wordplay, like 'You ALWAYS hear about people being 'disgruntled' is ANYBODY ever just 'gruntled' and it probably is not as prevalent as it seems but boy howdy was it obnoxious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Whelmed' at least goes into the second season. Red Arrow even does it once.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

I am almost 95% certain that the Whelmed joke was taken word for word from Peter David's run on Young Justice.

PAD Guy also loves his wordplay humor he thinks is way too clever, although typically he goes for really dumb puns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is animation under Loeb's purview? It would be easy to blame him.

I probably would anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

I did like Dove Cameron's Gwen, but the writing was fairly kiddie.

Yeah, I think she'd be great in a good Spider-Gwen series. They just don't seem to be aiming very high with the XD stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Tigra/Dazzler." Wow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's still the Black Panther show.

The viewing list for Avengers Assemble is skip the first four seasons.

It's nice to hear it gets better. I gave it a shot but the well was poisoned by how good EMH's first season was and hearing Jeph Loeb declare he didn't think kids wanted to watch multi-episode story arcs on a cartoon (which I know got walked back pretty quick on AA).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

The new DC superhero girls cartoon was way better than any of the marvel rising shows

It had a surprisingly fun brawl between Wonder Woman and Supergirl.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And also, must people keep going back to The Killing Joke? (Although the answer is clearly yes, for whatever reason.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

Justice League vs the Fatal Five is ehh, it was alright. It was my introduction to Jessica Cruz though, and I was kinda digging her character. Is she the primary lantern right now in the comics? Would be cool to see a live-action movie based around her.

Nah. Per usual there's several Lanterns running around. She used to be co-Green Lantern of Earth with Simon Baz and maybe still is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scaramouche posted:

I was around to read it as it came out (my older brother bought the comics) and I still don't get why Judas contract is a story people think is worth retelling.

For a while it seemed to be the only Titans story people remembered along with Terror of Trigon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I saw Justice League Dark was on Hulu and fell asleep watching it.