Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Wow, so that firmly solidified that this isn't a cartoon aimed at kids at all. Some of those visuals were down right horrifying, even for animation. I really dug their The Ring and The Thing mash-up. Now I really want to see their take on a proper Mojoworld.

A fairly satisfying (if not rushed) take on Inferno in 25 minutes. Hot drat!

Is it me or are they trying to explicitly establish Morph as gay for Wolverine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Well he wasn't on the team in the original TAS. And in the comics he hadn't been on the team for a good while (and wouldn't rejoin until the late 90s).

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Where was the Watcher? I must have missed that part.

This was such a mish-mash of a multitude of X-Men stories, I had no idea where they were going with this and was genuinely surprised. It had real shades of Morrison's New X-Men, the Quiet Council, Magneto joining the Hellfire Club circa New Mutants. And then Maddy continuing to be an actual character (instead of being memory holed like in the comics) is certainly a curve ball. It's like she's playing the roll of Emma in New X-Men. Speaking of, still hoping Emma can get her diamond form and join the team as the baddest bitch alive.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: And how established are the early days of the X-men in the TAS continuity? They've been showing the picture of the original Kirby'd up lineup of Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby and Warren, was it previously established Hank turned blue due to a failed experiment in this one? Just that things could be heading toward secondary mutations and lion Beast, which for him could be another naturally occuring change here

This is something TAS was inconsistent on and changed as the series went on. The first season treated the X-Men as newly minted team, no previous members and very little rogues gallery history. They had never met Magneto before. Warren Worthington had no past association with the team and no one knew him. In later seasons, they retcon this and basically imply the original five X-Men were a thing before the current line-up going so far as to feature them in a few brief flashbacks. And then in the almost series finale story, Shard makes the comment that Warren Worthington is destined to join the X-Men but had not previously.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

In X-Men TAS, do we ever see the "school" part of the Xavier School? My memory of the show is far from perfect but I feel like it's just superhero stuff. We never see any younger mutants or learning or anything.

Jubilee was the totality of the "school" part. But no, they never had students in the traditional sense or anything like Evolution.

But that makes sense for the time because the X-Men didn't have much of a big school in the comics until post-90s. In the comics they paid lip service to getting college degrees a few times. Lorna and Alex had earned master degrees in geophysics! Iceman got a degree in accounting. Beast earned a few phds. It all came off as a very alternative liberal arts self-study vibe where Charles just signs off on your work. They also had the New Mutants for a time but that was just an excuse to have teen adventures. I don't think it was until Morison that they portrayed the school as a proper school with tons of kids and classrooms and backpacks.