Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh yeah, that's the good nostalgia. Cyclops has a stick rammed directly up his rear end and Rogue won't stop making cat metaphors, it's like we never left at all. I liked how they went out of their way to give Cyclops and Storm specifically all the cool superpowers moments; nice way to make up for them being chumped out more often than not for most of the old show. And goddamn, way to just come in on fire out of the gate, especially with episode 2. Yeah we're doing Trial of Magneto and Depowered Storm and Madelyne Pryor, what the gently caress you gonna do about it, buckle up wheeeeeeeee

I did notice three anachronisms, all in episode 1: Jubilee says "bling" and "bestie", and that rave was early-2000s, not late-90s. At least I don't think the glowsticks were a thing back in '97 but I was never the heppest cat so on that one I might be wrong.

PicklePants posted:

Woof. They really threw in some white nationalist talking points with the Friends of Humanity stuff.
Blatant J6 imagery, too. They were not going subtle, and god drat good for them. X-Men should never be a subtle franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hell of an episode. I thought they took the pedal off the gas a bit last week, but goddamn, they slammed it right back down to the ground this time.

Lot of Krakoa in that Genosha, too, wasn't there? Right down to specific scenes from the end of HoX and not only the Council, but most of its members. (And the Tri-Sentinel genocide is from Morrison's run if I'm remembering correctly, so we're up to some '00s storylines being adapted now.) It kinda pisses me off all over again that the comics have abandoned Krakoa and never really did enough with it. Mutant nation stuff is new and interesting. "ha ha psych mutants, get slaughtered"? I've heard that one before, it's old. It's not the show's fault, they're adapting. I'm just annoyed at the comics and they brought it up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It occurs to me that Genosha was the inciting incident in Emma Frost becoming an actually cool character in the comics. With Magneto and/or Gambit being apparently dead and Scott and Jean circling the drain, maybe she joins the team? That'd be extremely cool.

ImpAtom posted:

BTAS is rare in that it just got every character on a level that most things don't, which is something I'd give it above Superman:TAS which is a lot of fun and nails a few characters dead on but BTAS has so many more hits than misses. Like, poo poo, we take it for granted now but Harley Quinn is such an incredibly naturally fit that her being someone from the comics was kind of taken for granted. It's hard to nail down one thing that defined a serialized character as hard as BTAS.
Similarly, there's basically two eras of Mr. Freeze's existence in the comics: Generic Dude Who Sucks and Never Mind That poo poo, He's the BTAS Version Now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

The defense also gets pretty silly.

I don't know what I like more, the ruling that all babies are dead (world stillbirth rate rockets to 100%!) or that the lawyer used the very legal phrase "state of grace", enshrining in precedent that from now on a Catholic can do all the crimes they want and then go to confession, and then the person who did those crimes is legally dead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

That was one of the main gimmicks of Dan Slott's She-Hulk run. He even had thanks to the Comics Code Authority (for reasons that escape me) back issues were admissible as evidence.
It was previously established in other comics that Marvel Comics exists in-universe and certain characters, most notably the Fantastic Four, officially license their names and adventures to them -- and Spider-Man, famously, does not, so in-universe Spider-Man comics are full of guesses and made-up bullshit. I believe the rationale was that for the official licensors, they signed off on each plot being the accurate truth, so those comics could be taken as, essentially, affidavits.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My favorite thing about Militant Cyclops was that it coincided with Wolverine at his absolute softest, as a peacable (by his standards) school headmaster. So you had the really wonderful character dynamic where each of them, after decades of butting heads, had finally been convinced that the other was right all along, stepped over the line to join him... and found that his counterpart had done the exact same thing at the exact same time, and viewed the other moving as a betrayal. That great "I don't want to hear this from you of all people!", in stereo, every time they argued.

So, yeah, show's not ready for that yet.

TwoPair posted:

In Charles Soule's Daredevil run he had Matt Murdock go to the Supreme Court and (successfully!) argue that costumed vigilantes could testify in court mask on and everything. This later came into play when Daredevil accidentally kills a guy, then goes to jail for it and keeps the mask on the whole time. Marvel law is nuts.
Slott's She-Hulk also introduced an Avengers-issued biometric scanner that could recognize members, and since they were a government agency, a successful scan from it meant you were a legal witness. That's how Spider-Man testified in J. Jonah Jameson's libel trial without taking off his mask or revealing his secret identity.

NikkolasKing posted:

But who knows, it might be the first steps towards what I've been told is "Bendis Cyclops." (Bendis is a name I never heard very good things about when I paid attention to comics back in the late 2000s)
Bendis is 2/3rds of a very good writer. He's great at setups, and he can keep a status quo going forever by entertainingly spinning his wheels and fooling the audience with one step forward, one step back storytelling. But he can't write an ending to save his life. Ultimate Spider-Man aside, all his runs end the same way: he either gets bored and wanders off or is forced out, and either he or the next writer up has to abruptly and anticlimactically wrap all his poo poo up in like one issue.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Nothing was going to look good having to follow last week’s episode, but drat, what a flat and boring bunch of nonsense. Following up on hugely impactful events and all the pressing questions still lingering unanswered? Nah, sounds dumb, let’s mutantsplain colonialism to space birds instead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Cyclops is the main character of the X-Men and no studio is ever going to get Dark Phoenix Saga in particular right until they understand that.

Also I think it was E&C who dubbed Elmo "a furry red Wolverine" and that is my favorite metaphor of all time, and it genuinely upsets me that basically nobody will ever understand it because the Venn diagram of Sesame Street knowers and comic book fans is a sliver.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Is there any particular reason why Bastion is obsessed with novelty singles from the late '50s now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I genuinely did not know Bastion was purple. (I'm colorblind and it's a fake color; he always looked pink to me, which is equally fake.)