Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Anyone sporting an unironic SFP avatar cannot be trusted when it comes to opinions on superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Counterpoint, season two had the space mall episode, it is automatically the best.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I thought it rather relevant to this thread, considering the Caped Crusader movie, to report that Adam West died today.

:(

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It wouldn't have been so bad if everything hadn't been so... low-budget and tacky. The animation and art was weak, and the writing was even weaker, which is some feat considering they used photos run through filters as backgrounds.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Unmature posted:

Whoa I didn't know his old origin. That's pretty cool.

It's covered in the amazing storyline "The Return of Barry Allen" when Wally West was the Flash and still fairly fresh to the role. Pick it up if you can. Some of Mark Waid's best stuff, really helped cement Wally as the new Flash back in the day, and it's a real shame it got written out of continuity.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I was genuinely surprised they had Banner show up at all, considering "goofy fun-lovin' Hulk 24/7" has been their go-to ever since Avengers Assemble.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So my comic book peers keep telling me that comic book heroes would kick Goku and other shonen protagonists rear end in a fight. Are there any good animated films that depict how strong these heroes powers are? Such as Superman, Hulk, Thor, etc.?

It's honestly apples and oranges to compare characters from different fictional worlds, from different narratives, in that way. Hell, going by the rules of Dragon Ball, Goku would beat Superman in a fight but then they would become friends and team up against an actual evil threat, because that's what happens in Dragon Ball. The scope of any character's particular strength, and even what powers they have, are subject to change. Superman alone has been written by maybe over a hundred different writers just in the past couple of decades.

Most animated films about the powerhouse-type heroes are going to be hyping up how strong they are, though, because that's the main draw of the characters. So I'd say try Hulk vs. Thor and Hulk vs. Wolverine; All-Star Superman; and maybe Justice League: Doom. I'm sure there are others which are good too, but I can't think of any I'd leap at recommending.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was Flushed Away which was CG made to look like an Aardman movie. (Might not be the same thing you're talking about.)

They even modelled fingerprints in the "clay" each character was made up of, it was quite detailed.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah they tried a super serious one that no one watched, so it will be hilarious to see 20-30 something year olds complaining about this new cartoony one.

The problem with the 2011 show wasn't that it was super serious, it was that it presented itself as super-serious while trying to redo plotlines from the original 80s show. So you had attempts to make robot teddy bears into legitimate characters. It couldn't decide what it wanted to be and collapsed because of it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I assume it means Jeff Goldblum as Uncle Ben.

edit: got my voice actors mixed up there but I would honestly love that casting

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 6, 2018

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

What hurts the most about EMH dying was that they killed it in favor of something that was more in line with the movies only to deviate completely from the movies by the second season, thus defeating the purpose. With where things ended up, they could have just changed people's costumes in EMH and called it a day.

Second season? Try first episode.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Synthbuttrange posted:

here's something new for nerds to get mad about

Bold of you to assume nerds are ever not mad.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

site posted:

Now just bring back emh

The good EMH, though. Not the Loeb version from season 2.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

It literally had an ongoing plot though, didn't it? With the Skrulls?

Loeb came in later in season 2 and changed stuff up. No more two-parters, everything had to be resolved in a single episode. Couldn't be confusing the kids with complex plots, so let's just do basic stuff with a moral at the end. Need to introduce characters who only exist for a single episode and never show up again. Red Hulk! Falcon! For some reason this won't be confusing for kids aaaaaaaaaand the show's cancelled.

Had to make way for Avengers Assemble, which is more in line with the movie continuity, because kids suddenly care about continuity now. That's why the show opens up with the Avengers disbanded and then fighting against MODOK.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Be fair, they were also incredibly lazy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Thanks for your insider information there, Mr. Weisman.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Aces High posted:

Out of curiosity is there a reason why Barbara goes from being "just fine, I'm Batgirl" in YJ season 2 to wheelchair-bound Oracle in season 3?

Like, is there a precedent to making her disabled instead of just shifting into the role of mission control? I don't have a problem with that except we don't see that transformation in the cartoon, we go from season 2 ending and Wally's funeral, where nothing has happened to Barbara, to the beginning of season 3 and she's wheelchair bound.

YJ does timeskips with every new season and you sort of have to wait to fill in the blanks. Or play the tie-in videogame.

It's sort of aggravating. Even though I like the show, I will fully admit this is not one of its better quirks.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Samuringa posted:

Who became Elvis Presley in one of those? That ends with the Watcher saying that for now he'll be The Listener and enjoy the show. Make that.

That would be Galactus.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gaz-L posted:

On a whim, I started watching that CG Iron Man cartoon that was a French co-production on Netflix... It's... Like, a bunch of the choices made in the premise are done well albeit they're bad choices to make. Like "what if Tony, Rhodey and Pepper are high school students, and so is the Mandarin and Madam Masque".

The show has a fair few flaws but the best parts are the great mecha-inspired designs for the villains. Blizzard looks like something out of Metal Gear and Crimson Dynamo is a WH40K figure come to life.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he's bisexual. But it was still nice to see.

Bisexual is queer :colbert:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Holy poo poo Young Justice is getting interesting, I'm psyched to see where it goes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

mllaneza posted:

Is S03E22 the season finale for Young Justice ? because they hit that one out of the park.

No, we're going up to S03E26.

Still holding out hope for a Wally return, they do my boy dirty in every continuity :smith:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Also Daredevil was not marketed at kids.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

scary ghost dog posted:

last three episodes of young justice s3 out today......pretty surprised by where it went in the last two episodes

Not gonna lie, did not see that particular twist to the Judas Contract coming.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somehow Batman was the last cartoon allowed to have realistic guns for a long time.

Batman: the Animated Series was originally intended as a primetime show suitable for family watching, rather than specifically a kid's cartoon. But the general attitude toward animation prevailed so it became a kid's cartoon and the rest of the DCAU followed suit.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Bbu7oGgcY

Rest in peace sweet cargo robot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Honestly we were robbed of EMH, it could have been Marvel's DCAU.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Skwirl posted:

What season is it on now? They probably have a lot still airing on actual tv channels.

Just finishing up season 2, I think.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm starting to think that Pete just doesn't trust Gwen and Anya, though. Their team consists of seven members and those two are the only ones who don't get to know his identity for some reason. They even decide to tippy-toe around it in a short comment. I guess the show is working towards some sort of reveal, where they will have figured it out a few minutes earlier, but it feels incredibly weird.
On the other hand, it might sort of make sense, since they don't really like Pete right now. But that's also just because he didn't bother to tell them anything about that stuff.

I thought that in the latest episode, the scene where they're introduced to Otto in person, and Harry's there, Pete's big moment would be to unmask and pull a "no more secrets between family" moment. But nope guess we gotta save that for season three or something.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Toshimo posted:

Yo, how is Justice League Action? I never caught it when it was current and I just saw some of the personnel and it seems pretty interesting.

There's no over-arching plotlines outside of the initial opening episodes being connected, but it's sharp and witty little superhero vignettes with some fairly fun action sequences and a good voice cast... if you can get past the presence of James "QANON IS REAL" Woods, naturally. I mean he's still a decent voice actor but knowing he's gone turbo-chud really puts a dampener on proceedings.

It's not going to blow your socks off or anything, but it's worth a watch.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vincent posted:

My one opinion about the Harley cartoon is that I was surprised to hear Diedrich Baker as Batman again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOwsb6wBRqs

Still brings a tear to the eye.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Harley Quinn was basically like an off-brand Venture Brothers, and while that's something of a point in its favour, it's also reminding me that I miss that show :smith:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
EMH could have been Marvel's DCAU if they hadn't thrown it all away for nothing :smith:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Yeah, the last full X-Men cartoon was Wolverine and the X-Men in 2009, although it got cancelled after one season. There was also a limited series of "Marvel Anime" (in conjunction with Madhouse) in 2011 about the X-Men, sandwiched in between a Wolverine solo series and one about Blade.

Weird to think that the X-Men used to be Marvel's flagship title for about three solid decades.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
This is why you need the foolproof solution of PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-K1D8y_Pxs

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Open Marriage Night posted:

What other comics were made irrelevant by their live action or animated adaptations?

Locke & Key.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Blockhouse posted:

This cannot be a serious post

The show is better than the comic :colbert:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Lobok posted:

Wait, what? Peter crawled into a manhole somewhere in Manhattan and then went through the sewers all the way to his Aunt's house in Queens?

Fast travel point.

Skwirl posted:

Ultimate Peter Parker died before getting out of high-school, Miles Morales was even younger and I think is still a high school student when he got merged into 616., so that's a fair point.

I think Dawgstar was referring to Ultimate Spider-Man the cartoon, rather than the comic book, which (aside from sharing a name) is a different thing entirely. It was what we got after Spectacular got cancelled, and along with all the other Marvel animations of the era (although I hate to use the term "animations" on things which were barely animated) was eminently forgettable trash.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I always saw the "just as planned" stuff with the Light being them unwilling to admit they lost. They're covering for their failures and setbacks by pretending like it's no big deal, they didn't need that anyway, all their grand plans are in no way at risk from these meddling kids. They stake everything on the "bigger picture" and then the bigger picture fails as well, mostly because of all those small details adding up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Lobok posted:

Unrelated to Superman but also the way Spectacular handled the mystery of the Green Goblin identity was so good. Both Harry and Norman have history of being the Goblin and it keeps you guessing as to whether they're going to do the obvious thing and start with Norman or skip him and go straight to Harry.

"Do you know how easy it is to fake a limp?" :smug:

I have been missing the era of superhero cartoons that didn't talk down to their intended audience (and were thus not infinitely more tedious and annoying for me, a grown-rear end man) and I'm hoping MAw/Supes is not going to be a huge letdown like certain other shows.