Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vandar posted:

I liked Gods and Monsters a whole bunch and I'm still disappointed they never revisited that universe.

It set itself up very well, too. I'd love to see them throw down with Highfather in a legit fight. None of the other DCAU offshoots ever delved into that possibility. Also, lol that a DC animated project made me sympathize with Darkseid of all people. I guess the one thing they'd have to get around if they kept it on Earth would be having offed 90% of the DC universe's super scientist contingent. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just saw a commercial on Hulu for a stop motion MODOK show starring Patton Oswalt. How did I not know about this?! :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just watched the Superman: Man of Tomorrow movie tonight, and it wasn't bad. I'm kind of shocked. After watching Gods & Monsters a couple weeks back, has DC actually more-or-less gotten their poo poo together since the string of horrible crap from the early 2010s?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
gently caress. I just found out Ed Asner died. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Watched the first few episodes of the new season of Young Justice. The main group, so far, is just Ms. Martian, Superboy, and Beast Boy on Mars. But they followed up on the end of season 3 stinger with Saturn Girl, Phantom Girl, and Chameleon Boy slinking around Mars, too, for some yet unknown reason. Seems they're going for more of a mystery tack instead of social or political drama. But there's a whole lot of racial text and subtext with the different colored Martians. It hasn't gotten cringe, yet. But it could go dumb real quick. Here's hoping.

One cool thing is they're doing mini-scenes that are dialogue only during the credits which expand what everyone's doing right now. And the episode three one was Superman on the phone with Lois while she's dealing with their baby. Soooooooo, maybe Jon Kent is A Thing in this series now?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 24, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nodosaur posted:

Jon has been a thing since season 3

Then I must've completely blocked that out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The United States posted:

It was the episode where Oceanmaster tries to murder all the superbabies at once and The Light (TM) stops him because it would mean Injustice Superman ruling over earth with an iron fist

That reminds me. I wish they'd have used Lady Shiva more. She's my favorite DC antihero.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skwirl posted:

Harley and Ivy being a thing was a thing from BTAS.

Well. It was really a thing from The New Batman/Superman Adventures retooling. BTAS ends with Mad Love, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is your regular reminder that Paul Dini married his wife because she’s basically a real life Zatana.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

But then I guess the new characters they invented for the Superman Animated Series didn't take off anywhere nearly as much. There's no Mercy or Livewire movie.

Yet! Honestly, I think it is just a matter of time. Mercy and Livewire have been pretty ubiquitous in other DC stuff, just as background characters. And Harley started on third base being tied to the most interesting villain opposing the most interesting comic book hero known for having the most interesting villains.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. I can't tell whether Batman Ninja was good or bad, it was certainly the most ridiculous thing I've seen in quite a while. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

wielder posted:

It is very much the sort of crazy thing you'd expect Kazuki Nakashima (of Gurren Lagann fame) to write.

Yeah, no doubt. But unlike Gurren Lagann, it doesn't work when the MC is an uptight broody warrior like Batman. Joker/Harley and Catwoman were the best parts. Grodd was good. The rest were non-characters. Sumo Bane at least got a chuckle.

On a completely different tack, Damien's haircut was straight off-putting despite knowing the reference.

Kurzon posted:

And likewise, I'd imagine a species of telepaths would be more empathetic to each other.

I dunno. I've always doubted that kind of conclusion from sci-fi IPs. Empathy and knowledge aren't necessarily connected. There's a reason telepaths and empaths are typically defined separately.

That said, I liked the huge swerve from YJ's latest episode. Jade/Artemis' family dynamic was always one of my favorite parts of the show.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 11, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

Which part? Because admittedly it's been a long time since I watched TAS and I bailed on Season 5 because I wasn't liking any of it. Bit in my experience, even fans of the show didn't like the final season.

But as for the rest of the series' badness, the writing and voice-acting are both laughably terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-K1D8y_Pxs

The costume designs are hideous. Jubilee was bad even by the standards of the 90s, imagine her in 2021.

And they did this to Jean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzc5VHL1bPM

Some people would point to Batman TAS and say "look at what a comic cartoon could be." But I think even Spiderman TAS was a lot better than this with more compelling characters, voice-acting, and writing.

People should just watch the Honest Trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BobmZglOk

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Probably depends on your definition of Super Hero show, cause Gargoyles probably fits into the number 2 slot more than 90's X-Men, and if you don't count Gargoyles as one than I'd probably put Darkwing Duck or Freakazoid into the number two slot instead

OG Animaniacs was better than Freakazoid. But if we're going to rank comic/action cartoons from the '90s, I'd put the top 2 as BTAS and Gargoyles with Exo Squad at a close third. What set the shows apart was really the writing. Even though they were all ostensibly written for children, they never talked down to the audience and were willing to deal with more complicated themes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think the big problem with returning to the 90s show is that there is going to be a level of irony built into it that will change the feel. It was a product of its time and someone making it today is going to be trying to replicate something that came naturally and that always feels off. Like it could still be funny/good/etc but I feel like it won't be as incredibly earnest as the 90s show was.

Oh, absolutely. These are going to be trash. It's just going to be a matter of how entertainingly bad they are.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Heh. A fun little thing from Josh Keaton for those who remember Spectacular Spider-Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdxCmYla9Yk

Phenomenal

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

It'll never happen but it would be hilarious* if a future X-Men adaptation adopted the current heavily implied status quo of Scott, Jean, and Logan being a throuple

*by which I mean hilarious in that it would make people's heads explode in confusion, personally I'm all in favor of it as the final inevitable conclusion of their decades long love triangle

I never followed the actual X-men comics, but I thought the whole deal with Jean and Logan was that she never reciprocated. If that’s not the case, that already makes my head explode. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MorningMoon posted:

Lmao that Pyro guy owns.

But also lmao at Pyro
"hey what's your mutant power?"
"oh so i can manipulate fire to make a fire dragon, so i got these flamethrowers on my arms so that i can shoot fire to make that fire dragon"
"and what does the fire dragon do?"
"shoot fire"

To be fair, the popular definition of "pyrokinetic" including the ability to create fire was always kind of boring. Just being to manipulate it creates more interesting scenarios.

This is why fire benders in Avatar were always the most boring. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Now you're just reminding me how poorly written Amanda Waller has been in basically everything since the New 52 era started

Also, C.C.H. Pounder is basically Amanda Waller already.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

That was the reason, what he was talking about was the method(Queen Bee's powers work only on people who are attracted to women)

Did she use her powers? I thought she just had a hit squad take her out. I mean, she's still the dictatorial ruler of a heavily armed country.

Edit: Oh. It's a plot point in the supplementary comics? Guess that is why I didn't know. loving hell. :psyduck:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 3, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m not sure about this current mini-arc in YJ. I guess it provides a little more context on why Savage is the leader of the Light, but meh. I never really followed his character in the comics, so I don’t know if this is coming out of something, but connecting him to the Lords of Chaos is even more wtf than his connection to Darkseid. And Nabu calling him “father” was a big “wait what!?” moment. And, oh yeah, he’s the progenitor of Atlantis as well as it’s destroyer. Sure, why not? :psyduck:.

I guess I am interested to see where this is going, but all the plot beats this season have been so disparate that’s it’s difficult to see the through line. And they still haven’t done poo poo with the Legion yet. :argh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finished up the latest YJ season and watched Justice Society: WWII. YJ was super meh. I lol'd with the bus reveal, but other than that, the whole finale was a let down. There are sparks of some interesting stuff, like Mary's persecution complex regarding the other magic kids and Zatara's eventual recovery from being held hostage by Nabu for a decade but overall, the execution was terrible. Also, you could tell how bad COVID hosed the production schedule with how many still shots there were throughout the season. It was almost like watching a motion comic. 50% narration over a panel.

The JS movie was...actually really good. I'd put it on level with Gods and Monsters. Some interesting twists and takes on the characters. Some of the one-liners could get cringe, but the hand-to-hand fight choreography was top notch.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Question IRL posted:

Ah, so like the original ending to the Evangellion TV show?

I would've given the show props if they had the balls to pull off a Congratulations scene.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blockhouse posted:

soul of the dragon towers over most of the recent DC animated films

especially Injustice let me tell ya the real injustice was what that movie does to the source material hey-ooooh

Isn’t the real Injustice movie just the cutscenes from the two games spliced together?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rhyno posted:

Under the Red Hood is one of the best (if not the best) DC animated films.

"This is the greatest day of my life."

I think UtRH is pretty universally acclaimed as "one of the good ones" but I would personally rate Gods & Monsters and Justice Society: World War II on the same level. Highly recommended.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

muscles like this! posted:

Teen Titans Go! is going to just continue chugging along as they were renewed for an 8th season that will bring them up to 400 episodes. A confirmed character showing up next season is Beard Hunter.

What makes the show still work after all this time is how they're not afraid to just do something different. An episode that reunites the cast of Freakazoid, an episode that's just about musical group De La Soul's challenges with ownership of their back catalog or an episode guest starring George Perez and Marv Wolfman as themselves.

Wait wait wait! Hold the presses! They did a reunion episode for the cast of WHICH show!?

I need ep number now!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jng2058 posted:

That tracks, since it was one of the most memorable and well done X-Men stories ever.

I wanted them to do more with the Hellfire Club, but they never did. There wasn't nearly enough (read: any, really) Emma Frost in TAS. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finished up the season of Young Justice.

I have to say, Lor-Zod getting played by Metron and getting himself nuked got a chuckle out of me. Of course, it ends with "All as Planned", but the Black Mary and Kara reveal peaks my interest. Can't wait to see how they gently caress this one up. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Batman Beyond is the only narrative in any medium brave enough to ask, what if Batman was Spiderman?

It's only fair. There were several versions of Spider-man, including 2099 and older Peter who are basically Batman.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heavy Metal posted:

Most eps of Batman TAS are the best movies ever.

Honestly, this is one of the factors that really pulled BTAS ahead of it's contemporaries, and even it's successors. It was probably the last animated show where each episode was designed in the same way you would a movie to include a full symphony score and big attention put into the cinematography and voice acting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heavy Metal posted:

I started that Harley Quinn show by the way. Rules! They have their cake and eat it too I'd say, delightful humor and parody while still having genuine earnest love for the thing as well.

Harley Quinn singlehandedly redeemed Dark Knight Rises by giving us a parody of Bane that is the best version of the character ever written.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I thought it was a bad WB/DC policy, not a meme

Then again it could easily be both

It wasn't really a policy. It was a callback to when Paul Jenkins received an editorial comment writing New 52 asking him to rewrite a scene where Batman was sitting down on a roof next to an injured person, and the comment was something to the effect of "As everyone knows, Batman never sits." which is wrong on its face. It wasn't something that came down from on high as policy for DC, it was just an editor being a loving idiot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Tisk tisk. You guys talking about Beyond villains and don’t mention the ensemble beauty that is Bonk, Ghoul, Dee Dee, and Chucko.

True, I think they only show up like once in the show, proper, but their appearance in the JLU crossover was fantastic.

Do you know what killed the dinosaurs?
Uhhhh. No…sir.
Well, Chucko does! :twisted:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh poo poo! Spectacular Spider-Man is on U.S. Netflix now! :woop:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TwoPair posted:

RIP Ra's Al Ghul

gently caress me. He was probably my favorite VA from my childhood. :( Even more than Brown, Hamill, and Conroy. He was like the English Koyasu. Immediately recognizable, but phenomenal in everything he did.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress Harley Quinn js probably next

Probably a mercy. This season has not been good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Magneto having a bit of a european accent (which may be the only time he has an accent in an audio adaptation?)

Sir Ian loving McKellen?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skwirl posted:

51% of UK voters would object to calling him European.

Would they consider the Norwegians or Swiss European? :colbert:

Additionally, I'm not sure 51% of Brits would make the same call if they could do it over again. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Caught up with the last couple episodes of Harley Quinn.
It's getting better at least? Still pretty low compared to seasons 1 and 2.

Though, I think I've nailed why it is falling so flat (for me). The crew isn't together. Some of the characters are there, but what made the show great was the flow of the story and how everyone bounced off each other. But everything this season has been so siloed that there is almost no room for plot cross pollination. Clayface has had pretty much zero screen time. King Shark had this latest episode, but it was completely devoid of any connection to the rest of the ongoing plot. And Psycho and Sy have vanished.

Catwoman was a fun secondary straightman to the group's antics in season 2, but she's become a regular now and with the increased focus on Ivy's plotline, we get too much tsukkomi and not enough boke. This isn't to say that a lot of the plot lines aren't fun on their face (e.g., Dad Joker, Bruce simping for Selena/general taking the piss out of the Bat Family, etc.) but it's all so disjointed.

Did they change writing staff or directors or something between seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gently caress me. Was he even under watch for any health problems? :(