Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't mind changing discs if I'm powering through a show in order. But not having the full selection of a show's episodes if you want to browse through or select them from different seasons is a pain if they're split into discs. Like we have the Simpsons seasons 1-9 on a hard drive because it's way easier than sifting through our DVDs especially when we're doing a theme like Halloween or Christmas episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-Men Evolution dancing may have been bad but Pearl Jam Evolution dancing was pretty good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haitfais posted:

I don't see how Beyond is any more bleak than Batman classic. Is there one particular aspect of the story that makes you feel that way, or is it something in the overall tone?

When Batman is in his prime it's up to you to imagine how his story and life might play out. But Beyond shows us an Old Man Bruce who is lonely and grumpy and arguably a failure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly those embarrassing gently caress fantasy scenes would be somewhat redeemed if they had one where Nightwing fucks Batman.

So a man loving his dad?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SonicRulez posted:

That is not a DDT.

I watched one of the clips and I thought it was alright. I'm still not a big fan of the art style, but everything else is good, so I'm willing to overlook it.

I wasn't a fan of Spectacular's style at first but that show turned out great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Headscissors

Dang, wrestling is way more gruesome than I remember.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TFRazorsaw posted:

okay on one hand Marvel's Spider-man tries to avoid the creepy history of Jackal and Gwen Stacy by making them uncle and niece.

on the other hand that feels like it just makes it even weirder

Less weird if he wants to bring her back because he loves her. More weird if he's in love with her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Monaghan posted:

Although I still hear the guy who played spidey's voice in my head whenever I read the comics. He did a great job despite the above mentioned overacting.

When I go to New York I hear this line in my head in Barnes' voice. It's the very first line he says in the first episode.

quote:

New York City. If only everything down there was really as peaceful as it looks from up here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anyone else watching Netflix's new Voltron show? It's pretty good so far. Not really comic book show but this thread seems like the prime audience (after 10 year olds). Animation is done by DreamWorks. Highlight so far is Rhys Darby being one of the voice actors, for any Flight of the Conchords fans out there.

Also, unintentional humour from hearing Pidge as "bitch" all the time.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Animation is done by Studio Mir. Dreamworks is just the production company.

Ah, my bad. I saw their logo at the beginning and just assumed.

Either way, animation hasn't disappointed so far. Good mix of 2D and 3D. One of the small things I noticed was how well the mouths are synched to the dialogue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Metalshark posted:

My wife and I are huge fans of Voltron: Legendary Defender. It got a 75 episode order so they're exploring things in a way that is pretty natural and it really is gorgeous thanks to Studio Mir. Nice blend of humour, action and actual stakes too.

I was expecting something like Power Rangers, where it would be a Monster of the Episode with the fight patterns happening the same way every time. But after the long first episode (love how Netflix shows don't have to conform to broadcast network time slots) I could already sense the show was going to be smarter and more varied than I expected. The second and third episodes bore that out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't understand why I was never into either TMNT or Power Rangers when I was little. They're both things I feel like I should have liked.

I'm the opposite. I liked both of those things but couldn't tell you why. But likes and desires as a kid are pretty inscrutable I find so I don't really care.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

the name "Serena" sounds kind of like "Serena" if you're not paying enough attention

I agree.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toshimo posted:

What was the lame rear end knock off transformers where they didn't turn into planes or cars or dinosaurs, but instead turned into regular loving rocks?

"Hmm, all this transforming poo poo is so popular. How do I get in on it?"
"Dad, what's this? Mom said it was your 'pet rock' but she's joking right?"
"Oh my god, that's the answer! I never wanted to get into writing insipid children's cartoons in the first place!"
*grabs the Pet Rock and starts bashing his own head, soon driving the rock deep into his brain*

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

lmao marv wolfman and didio? Seriously?

Thanks for ruining beast wars DC

Usually DC is so good with ape material.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AnonSpore posted:

Is it just me or does the formatting of that article make it incredibly hard to read

I'm not quite

sure what you

mean.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Femme, Spider-Femme
Has some powers but I won't list them
Spins a web? Who's to say
Have to abide by my NDA
Shut up!
About the Spider-Femme

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Who does batgirl gently caress in this one

Lurdiak posted:

Um, loving Hal Jordan by a mile.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToastyPotato posted:

Has Magneto actually done really bad stuff? I feel like I don't know of anything that he has actually done. I know he has been a bad guy and had has some big bad plans, but I can't think of a time he actually did something even on the level of like, Carnage.

Also, Emma Frost has waffled between hero and villain, right? I imagine she has an interesting rap sheet.

Maybe more bad-rear end than bad but he ripped the adamantium out of Wolverine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magneto doesn't have to be on the wrong side of a genocide, let alone a real world history one, to believe what he believes. Good ol' regular bigotry found the world over can do that to a person. And if he's both Jewish and a mutant (and Roma?) then you can bet he's experienced some bigotry.

But if he wants to exterminate homo sapiens then I suppose you might lose the hypocrisy, or poetic justice, or us getting a taste of our own medicine... Whatever you want to call us being genocidal against him and he in turn becoming genocidal towards us.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Ain't no maudlin schmaltzy Spielberg movie about Dresden.

But you can make wizard detective stories.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

My understanding of Magneto as a character is:

1. Holocaust survivor
2. Can manipulate any aspect of reality in any way he wants by mentioning "magnetism"
3. Has every personality disorder

4. Wears those colours because his tailor misread it as "Magento".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All other design decisions aside, I do think giving Raph a pair of tonfas is a cool replacement for his sai because of the age-old problem of needing him to either fight robots only in a PG setting or needing to constantly explain, choreograph, or animate how the Sai are for blunt striking and are not tiny rapiers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lightning Lord posted:

They should give him a jitte. Specifically, Umezawa's Jitte. I would like to see a TMNT/MtG crossover.

Jesus, we don't want to make the other Turtles redundant.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron posted:

Leo's still got a sword though

I know, that's why I said everything else aside.

Maybe Leo's sword isn't actually metal and can only hurt your "spirit" or whatever as it cuts through you. But Raph and Mike's weapons have glowing energy so probably not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Carl's the van I figure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've never held it against a voice actor if they "only" have a couple voices. Their vocal cords are their vocal cords. It's much better that they know how to act rather than have a ton of different voices. If they do, more power to them obviously because it can help them stay employed, but I don't expect everyone to be Mel Blanc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The best one is Blastoise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

Also he calls it "a piece of corporate art" and says that the feelings of the fans are what's important. I think that's off base too.

I think it's off base too but mostly because you're never going to get a good representation of what fans want.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Peter bumming money off children, 10/10 much accurate, very canon.

Hell yeah!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Where are the chairs? All I see are four hot as hell women.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anora posted:

I love how much their life is based around hate, they hate it so they can't stop themselves from focusing on it instead of, I don't know, finding something they like and focusing on that. Then again, it's not like they have a lot of media that fits in their world view, as "Mr. Don't give a poo poo, except about killing things not rich, white, and male," doesn't sell too well.

The culture war has many fronts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Some fans had a problem with Kale because she's essentially Brolly so they thought "why didn't you just add Brolly". There are good reasons of course why they shouldn't have added Brolly but that seemed to me to be part of the hate the character got.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToastyPotato posted:

Well it looks like they literally got their wish, which will send a very good message...

I'm glad they didn't have him in the Tournament arc of the Super series. But having him in his own movie is fine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Late to the party but I binged the poo poo out of Young Justice Outsiders and it's a ton of fun.

Binged the poo poo out of it
Googled it like a motherfucker
AltaVista'd it like you wouldn't even believe

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

They're all teenagers.

Bats and Turtles and Robins, oh my!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Roommate: Who bought this terrible toilet paper?
Thanos: I've reduced the 2-ply down to 1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a bit of a running theme in the comics of Peter Parker outwardly being an rear end in a top hat to people around him, even though you, the audience, know that he's under a lot of stress from some secret thing going on with his alternate identity. Heck, sometimes he's just stressed about something going on with his aunt and just can't be bothered to communicate with the people around him.

It was sort of a common tactic back in the day to gin up some more interpersonal drama.

Not just to gin up drama but empathy and wish fulfillment. Spider-Man and most other secret identity heroes have the conflict of identities and we as the audience relate to that struggle of "if only people understood the real me or knew how awesome I actually am!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

The first issue he breaks into the Fantastic Four headquarters to prove how awesome he is so they should totally hire him.

But when he leaves they're not pissed (well, I forget what Grimm's reaction is TBH). They're basically like "oh I wish he hadn't left in a huff before we could talk things through". Ditko Spider-Man was troubled and angry a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Those aren't really great examples. Deathpool's not really a great example because they used CGI to make it so that he can emote with the mask like in the comics, an effect that has come with improved technology. Darth Vader works because of the character having one mode of menace although Jones's vocal performance does a good job pushing his inner conflict in RotJ.

I think this section of Raimi's Spider-Man works because the tone of the film is pretty campy, but there is a Live Stunt show vibe to it. Also, it really does bother me that JJ gets humiliated by Spidey after being incredibly brave and selfless.

Even a show as cheap with animation as 60s Spider-Man knew the mouth on his mask should move when he's talking. It's a shame that there is no movement to either Spider-Man's or Goblin's faces when they talk except for seeing a bit of the mouth through the grate over Goblin's mouth (but only in a real close-up like that). Watch the clip on mute and there's no way of telling whether Spider-Man is actually awake or saying anything.