Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Sourdough Sam posted:

One of my favorite music riffs is there's this sound in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank that sounds exactly like the intro to Fashion by David Bowie and servo calls it out quietly.

I recently realized why Bill's Crow sings the Come as You Are parody in the weird office building/mall. It's because the Nirvana is in giant letters on the floor. All those years and I never saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sourdough Sam posted:

One of my favorite music riffs is there's this sound in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank that sounds exactly like the intro to Fashion by David Bowie and servo calls it out quietly.

Similarly the bit in The Legend of Boggy Creek II where Kevin and Bill start singing the hymn 'Wings of a Dove' because the background music is basically the intro.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Any jokes about Sauk Rapids probably came from Bridget given it's her hometown. Likewise Circle Pines and Mary Jo.

MJ's dad was actually mayor of Circle Pines when she was a kid!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jimmy Smits.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Keromaru5 posted:

Jimmy Smits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJ8RRb5glU
It really is odd the way that's narrated.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Everybody's having fun and smoking
And the dogs are eating too!

Robbing people, killing people, hopping trains is fun!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The "Hey, Joe"/"Where you going with that gun in your hand?" riff from Days of our Years(?) went over my head for some time until I heard the Hendrix song.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Joel loved to reference local Twin Cities comedians, but you didn't need to be familiar with their work to find them funny, since it was Joel saying a funny thing in a goofy voice. "All over the world!" and "go to bed old man" are the two I remember -- and until recently I thought they were obscure comedians, but it turns out according to Frank, the latter quote was from Dana Gould: https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1662609328640073728

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Lol my dad thought Zubaz was the funniest word and he said it at any opportunity for years.

“Bazubaz.”
- Dr. Sheldon Bangtheory

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Judging from what folks have said if it's a deep dive into sitcom lore it's probably Frank.

And comedy history: movies, old time radio, etc. Not that some of those weren’t sitcoms.

At one point while in my teens in the 1980s I made a joke about Lum and Abner (who I was aware of but had never heard myself):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lum_and_Abner

I have a feeling Frank also had a parent who was serious about comedies from back when he was growing up, or a little before. But it was harder to relisten before the Internet put so many old radio programs back into circulation. (Arguably, it’s an older version of “keep circulating the tapes”.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frank has a lot of pictures of his dad with famous people so he seemed kind of connected.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Joel loved to reference local Twin Cities comedians, but you didn't need to be familiar with their work to find them funny, since it was Joel saying a funny thing in a goofy voice. "All over the world!" and "go to bed old man" are the two I remember -- and until recently I thought they were obscure comedians, but it turns out according to Frank, the latter quote was from Dana Gould: https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1662609328640073728

It's always entertaining to me how much of a hot bed the late 80s in the Twin Cities were for standup comedy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dawgstar posted:

It's always entertaining to me how much of a hot bed the late 80s in the Twin Cities were for standup comedy.

The hip hop scene there at the moment is really fantastic

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
It wasn't unitl I saw Road House (via Rifftrax) that I realized how many references to it they made.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I remember thinking the oft-repeated "I'm the god! I'm the god!!" was just a quirky thing the Mads would say until I actually saw the Twilight Zone episode it came from ("The Little People").

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watching Phantom Planet and "Athol Fugard is scared!" caught me off guard.

What's the story behind that? Googling brings up a dead partial reddit post marveling about how obscure it is. I know the actor but I don't know what the riff's about

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
why the heck does season 13 cost $130 digitally on gizmoplex but i can get the bluray from shout factory for $80, shorts apparently included and everything. i thought the former was pretty steep even if it were on physical media but now im baffled

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
in other news i just bought seasons 11-13 on bluray

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Data Graham posted:

Watching Phantom Planet and "Athol Fugard is scared!" caught me off guard.

What's the story behind that? Googling brings up a dead partial reddit post marveling about how obscure it is. I know the actor but I don't know what the riff's about

It's probably just a joke about a dude's appearance. They made lots of jokes when someone onscreen even vaguely resembled someone slightly famous.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It took me probably a decade to realize that Servo was describing the actress in Werewolf as a "Laura Dern prototype." (I blame the sad audio quality of my EP VHS recording that made it just sound like "mmphdermmmphtype.")

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's probably just a joke about a dude's appearance. They made lots of jokes when someone onscreen even vaguely resembled someone slightly famous.

One of my favorite bits is the part in Warrior of the Lost World where the camera pans across a large crowd and Servo ratlles off all of the celebrity names that the people in the crowd resemble.

https://youtu.be/EZrQu9cIZEg?si=hMy5XEAD6mtaBadV

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

LIVE from LINCOLN CENTER....a tribute to the UPPER AMAZON, with JOHNNY CARSON, STEVE AND EYDIE, Vice President AL GORE, BUDDY HACKETT, DON RICKELS, and BECK!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YOUR HALFTIME SHOW show show YO-YO MA AND THE AND THE ENTIRE BACK CELLO SUITE suite suite!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
man sidehackers is such a disgusting little movie

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mycophobia posted:

Isn't that the one where they'd decided to use it and only then came across the disturbingly-graphic rape scene, and that taught them to always watch a goddamn movie all the way to the end before deciding? That must have been a hell of a day.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
that's the one. two women in that movie and they exist solely to be brutalized and/or avenged by a man

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mycophobia posted:

that's the one. two women in that movie and they exist solely to be brutalized and/or avenged by a man

It's depressing how many old movies are just like that.

It's depressing how many new movies are just like that.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I don't know what Junior Samples is/are/was/were.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I want some sort of band challenge reality show where top 40 acts have to cover "Night Train To Mundo Finé"

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

mycophobia posted:

Easy Rider, with its groundbreaking style and cynical finale, had such a monumental effect on cinema in the early 70s that we got piles of awful biker movies like Sidehackers. Feels like they all tried to up the cynicism too in crude ways.

I think Hellcats might be worse. I can't discern any kind of narrative from it. Just scenes of bikers drinking and dancing to the worst music you've ever heard. It's like if Ray Dennis Steckler was into Hell's Angels.

Edit: I've got my history wrong here. Both of these movies predate Easy Rider. I wonder which film started the biker fad.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 22, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

I don't know what Junior Samples is/are/was/were.

He was a country/redneck/farmer-themed comedian who usually wore bib overalls. Spent a long time on Hee Haw (a redneck/country-themed comedy variety show).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I think it was less Easy Rider and more exploitation off of growing anxieties about California's biker gangs, Hunter S Thompson's book Hell's Angels came out in 67.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
When they said "Retread his condom??" in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank what was that about? The preceding movie line sounded nothing like that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sardonik posted:

When they said "Retread his condom??" in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank what was that about? The preceding movie line sounded nothing like that.

Fingal is assigned "Prophylactic rehab" - Prophylactic can refer to any kind of preventative medicine, but in common usage means birth control

It's a thinker for sure!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sourdough Sam posted:

Easy Rider, with its groundbreaking style and cynical finale, had such a monumental effect on cinema in the early 70s that we got piles of awful biker movies like Sidehackers. Feels like they all tried to up the cynicism too in crude ways.

I think Hellcats might be worse. I can't discern any kind of narrative from it. Just scenes of bikers drinking and dancing to the worst music you've ever heard. It's like if Ray Dennis Steckler was into Hell's Angels.

Edit: I've got my history wrong here. Both of these movies predate Easy Rider. I wonder which film started the biker fad.
The Wild One starring Marlon Brando back when he was a heartthrob.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

JethroMcB posted:

Fingal is assigned "Prophylactic rehab" - Prophylactic can refer to any kind of preventative medicine, but in common usage means birth control

It's a thinker for sure!

Well I definitely learned something today. :aaa:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Funky Valentine posted:

LIVE from LINCOLN CENTER....a tribute to the UPPER AMAZON, with JOHNNY CARSON, STEVE AND EYDIE, Vice President AL GORE, BUDDY HACKETT, DON RICKELS, and BECK!

ah, the filthy, unfunny comedy of buddy hackett!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
sidehackers is an all timer episode for me, the combo of the movie being so goofy, nasty, overdramatic, and the riffs just landing

"what do ya think they're doing now that cigarette ads are il-legal?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Girl in Lover’s Lane is another one of those. The poor titular girl is without sin the whole movie and she is still brutally strangled by Jack Elam all so Big Stupid can learn a lesson.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm just a fan of the stupid morality tales in general, so I also love Girl in Lover's Lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm just a fan of the stupid morality tales in general, so I also love Girl in Lover's Lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcBBemS-HRk

Plus it has this all timer sketch