Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zoux posted:

The Girl in Lover’s Lane is another one of those. The poor titular girl is without sin the whole movie and she is still brutally strangled by Jack Elam all so Big Stupid can learn a lesson.

Riffing on Big Stupid and his buddy give us some all-timers.

"Are we going to hustle these men, Big!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Mr Big scenes were the best part of Racket Girls and I think he was also the Syndicate from the dirty picture racket.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sash! posted:

The Mr Big scenes were the best part of Racket Girls and I think he was also the Syndicate from the dirty picture racket.

It's neat how one Senate hearing can take down all of organized crime.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sash! posted:

The same actor also plays the pro-trans psychiatrist in Glen or Glenda. Kinda wild.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I brought my Drake posted:

The same actor also plays the pro-trans psychiatrist in Glen or Glenda. Kinda wild.

I've never seen that movie but have heard of it. Is it something that was ahead of its time or is it really sleazy?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Uncle Wemus posted:

I've never seen that movie but have heard of it. Is it something that was ahead of its time or is it really sleazy?

Both

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Heck yes

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Trace and Frank riffed it as The Mads Are Back and Frank flat-out says at one point that he can't make fun of it because it's too awesome. Granted, it's part lurid sexploitation but it's also pro-trans and pro-queer, and very 1950s. Also has Bela Lugosi in it, and one of his jobs as omniscient narrator involves overseeing a wrestling match between ladies in their underwear.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
apropos of nothing joel exclaiming TEN CARS?! is one of my favorite riffs ever

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

are you or have you ever been a Ford owner

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I'm gonna dance!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Alright punch it Jimmy, I wanna be in Tijuana by eight o'clock or your fired.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Apparently it's Rifftrax day at the Foreverathon.

I hope they add some new ones to the rotation. My personal preference would be for the Guy From Harlem, Miami Connection, and the superior '70s movie about malfeasance in the trucking industry, Trucker's Woman.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i watched the manos rifftrax earlier today. its funny but its really hard not to mentally slot in the mst3k riffs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mycophobia posted:

i watched the manos rifftrax earlier today. its funny but its really hard not to mentally slot in the mst3k riffs

When they did the live version of Manos the Rifftrax guys ended up getting scammed by a guy who claimed he actually had the rights to Manos but all he required of them was to plug his "sequel" and he got to show up in Torgo costume to deliver them a pizza. They eventually figured out he was a con man and the stuff with him got edited out of the recordings.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

When they did the live version of Manos the Rifftrax guys ended up getting scammed by a guy who claimed he actually had the rights to Manos but all he required of them was to plug his "sequel" and he got to show up in Torgo costume to deliver them a pizza. They eventually figured out he was a con man and the stuff with him got edited out of the recordings.

He spent years making legal threats to anyone working on any kind of Manos project, but it was always clearly bullshit. I always thought the Rifftrax thing was not that they believed him, but that they thought it was less of a headache to just placate him.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Speaking of 'logging it', I better find a bush around here..."

E:

"I think I lost him... no, wait, there he is."

This car chase, man.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 26, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

'Pass the potatoes, peas, butter, peas, pie, butter.'

It's been too long since I saw Mitchell, there's some gold in this episode!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fezz posted:

Apparently it's Rifftrax day at the Foreverathon.

I hope they add some new ones to the rotation. My personal preference would be for the Guy From Harlem, Miami Connection, and the superior '70s movie about malfeasance in the trucking industry, Trucker's Woman.

Oh, now, Breaker Breaker is a delight! Chuck Norris in a van with an airbrushed eagle on it, what's not to love?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Manos: I'd forgotten about this article

https://web.archive.org/web/20150926222706/http://www.playboy.com/articles/the-battle-over-the-worst-movie-ever

safe for work (except for a picture where you can see Torgo's clothed th*ghs)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Playboy in 2015 was kinder than the NYT this year

"After Solovey posted his find on SomethingAwful.com, a clearinghouse for internet snark, his campaign began to gather steam."

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"lets rip off the last scene of key largo, mitchell!"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Diabolik900 posted:

He spent years making legal threats to anyone working on any kind of Manos project, but it was always clearly bullshit. I always thought the Rifftrax thing was not that they believed him, but that they thought it was less of a headache to just placate him.

I'd bet you're right. I still remember that and Mike, especially, was very clearly like "haha, yes, okay great, now get out of here" in the most Midwestern way possible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sisal Two-Step posted:

"lets rip off the last scene of key largo, mitchell!"

"You and I are going to control the ghetto, young man!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I generally think Rifftrax is really good, and especially their live shows have great energy, but man... their version of Manos just doesn't compare to the original. Yeah, they've got some solid and even really good riffs in there, but a lot of it just feels like they got the great joke back with the original episode, and just end up delivering a wordier or otherwise inferior version of the same riff here.

E:

Case in point:

The Master wakes up his wives, who immediately start to loudly argue about what to do about the interlopers. The movie cuts to the Master sitting there looking forlorn.

Original:
"What was I THINKING?!"

Rifftrax:
"Well, dad pulled me aside before the wedding and said 'son, are you sure you wanna marry these six broads', and I said 'yep'. IDIOT!"

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'd forgotten how genuinely sweet Mike's character is in this episode. And I love him bamboozling Frank out of his keys.
"Wait why did you want my keys?"
"I thought you left your lights on."
"I don't have a car!"
"Well why did you give me your keys then?"
"...I thought I left my lights on?"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'd bet you're right. I still remember that and Mike, especially, was very clearly like "haha, yes, okay great, now get out of here" in the most Midwestern way possible.

I think they also closed the show with a “music video” made by that guy, right? I remember looking up as I left the theater and that guy was lip syncing to the Eagles in Torgo getup. Painful stuff.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I generally think Rifftrax is really good, and especially their live shows have great energy, but man... their version of Manos just doesn't compare to the original. Yeah, they've got some solid and even really good riffs in there, but a lot of it just feels like they got the great joke back with the original episode, and just end up delivering a wordier or otherwise inferior version of the same riff here.

E:

Case in point:

The Master wakes up his wives, who immediately start to loudly argue about what to do about the interlopers. The movie cuts to the Master sitting there looking forlorn.

Original:
"What was I THINKING?!"

Rifftrax:
"Well, dad pulled me aside before the wedding and said 'son, are you sure you wanna marry these six broads', and I said 'yep'. IDIOT!"

the comic timing of that scene by itself is pretty great tbh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if the eponymous Rupert, who apparently just vanished according to the article, roams the earth as Torgo the White.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fugitive Alien II is on the foreverathon right now and Crow has this really annoying bit where he goes "Again?" in a really high pitched, intentionally whining voice when anyone tells the character Rocky to do something. I love Trace, he's my favorite crow and arguably my favorite member of the troupe period, but I cannot stand this bit. They're pretty few and far between, but other really grating bits, to my tastes at least, are:

- Frank's weird GULP A GOO thing he does (but they end up calling that out and stopping it.)
- Pearl's "CLAYTON CLAYTON CLAYTON" bit in that one season 7 episode
- in the first couple of Kevin seasons, he makes like little under-his-breath conversation sounds like "mmmhmm" and "yup" constantly through some of the episodes. He knocks that off eventually.

Ahem I also think "Are you Ready for Some Football" outstays it's welcome by like 4 riffs :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

Fugitive Alien II is on the foreverathon right now and Crow has this really annoying bit where he goes "Again?" in a really high pitched, intentionally whining voice when anyone tells the character Rocky to do something.

Have you never seen Rocky & Bullwinkle or something?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im watching thru the whole series starting from season 2 because i know i havent seen every episode and probably not even most episodes, and man they flub so many lines in season 2 lol. weird pauses or false starts or stumbling over their words like every 10 seconds. still funny though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Have you never seen Rocky & Bullwinkle or something?

I get it, I just think the dozen or so times he does it are too much. Joel even tells him to knock it off! Trace has some great impressions, but Rocky ain't one of em.

mycophobia posted:

im watching thru the whole series starting from season 2 because i know i havent seen every episode and probably not even most episodes, and man they flub so many lines in season 2 lol. weird pauses or false starts or stumbling over their words like every 10 seconds. still funny though

Dude it's so great, and the best part is you can watch them over and over again because you'll never remember all the jokes in a given episode. It's absolutely pristine second monitor content.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I can agree that sometimes their running gags get to be a bit much, but I don't really mind it on average overall because it lends to the feeling of a group of friends when they annoy each other, too.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I like Simpsons rakes :shrug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zoux posted:

Fugitive Alien II is on the foreverathon right now and Crow has this really annoying bit where he goes "Again?" in a really high pitched, intentionally whining voice when anyone tells the character Rocky to do something. I love Trace, he's my favorite crow and arguably my favorite member of the troupe period, but I cannot stand this bit. They're pretty few and far between, but other really grating bits, to my tastes at least, are:

- Frank's weird GULP A GOO thing he does (but they end up calling that out and stopping it.)
- Pearl's "CLAYTON CLAYTON CLAYTON" bit in that one season 7 episode
- in the first couple of Kevin seasons, he makes like little under-his-breath conversation sounds like "mmmhmm" and "yup" constantly through some of the episodes. He knocks that off eventually.

Ahem I also think "Are you Ready for Some Football" outstays it's welcome by like 4 riffs :colbert:

I was reading over the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide the other day and the 'CLAYTON. CLAYTON. CLAYTON.' bit was something whoever was writing it up - I forget now but either Kevin or Trace I think - found *impossibly* funny. I kinda like it too to be honest.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

zoux posted:

I get it, I just think the dozen or so times he does it are too much. Joel even tells him to knock it off! Trace has some great impressions, but Rocky ain't one of em.

I love it when Trace does Mr Mooney and Mr Drysdale.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

mycophobia posted:

apropos of nothing joel exclaiming TEN CARS?! is one of my favorite riffs ever

But he bought the freaking car!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love it when Trace does Mr Mooney and Mr Drysdale.

The Ms. Hathaway Marching Band!