Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am literally just past the opening theme song and I'm loving delighted. Sometimes you can just tell something's going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

So far the only complaint I have is that they aren't giggling at each other as much as the riffers used to. I always really enjoy it when characters in a comedy notice that the people around them are funny. But I'm only on the first episode.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Unrelated to anything, I just started watching Samson Vs the Vampire Women again. And Mike makes a joke saying "Someone taped over Seinfeld!" and I remember watching that at the time going "oh yeah, I should watch that show."

Remembering that made me feel loving ancient.

I just watched Invasion of the Neptune Men for the first time. Daamn.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just finished episode one. It feels like they are trying too hard. They aren't giving the riffs any time to breathe. I really hope this improves as the episodes go on.

It does. Pretty quickly too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

It's especially funny because the experiment subjects have typically outlasted at least one or more mads, in Mike's case literally outliving Dr. F. It's basically gotten to the point now where the subject in the Experiment is more dangerous than the Experiment itself.

Mike in particular destroyed several entire planets.

Glad to hear they make each other laugh more later. It's my favourite thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it was Invasion of the Neptune Men.

"I'm just gonna...leave the theater for a while."
"Uh, Mike, there's no oxygen out there."
"Yeah...that's okay."

The defeated way he drops back into his seat on coming back in cracked me up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I went back and watched The Movie and it's a lot better than I remembered. I like Mike's hamster wheel thingy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like Mike's reaction to Dr F cutting off the air just to make everyone bow, which is to be mildly aggrieved. :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think you'll find the best host segments are when Tom wears some kind of little hat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

One thing I do kinda miss, watching some older episodes, is the little non-joke reactions. Like giving off a little "What?" at a confusing shot, or singing a weird music cue (not making up lyrics, just repeating it), or the occasional incredulous laugh. They felt like genuine reactions, which nicely complemented the scripted riffs. (There's one moment I like, though I can't recall the episode, where Mike starts laughing so hard at something in the movie that it spills over into his actual riff.)

Yeah likewise. Not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but there's a bit in The Brute Man where Mike gets laughing so hard he doubles over in his chair and you can tell he's struggling to keep it together.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Jack Frost for me too

And me. It's just perfect.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've been watching a lot of the old and new and the content of the riffs doesn't seem different to me, except that obviously the references are more up to date. I still feel like the delivery is a bit rushed sometimes, but that's a tiny nitpick. And I've seen people make the same argument that the Mike era was too rapidfire.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I had never heard of Girl's Town and it's the most delightful thing. Horribly-written teen slang, awkward musical moments, and the easiest, funniest relationship among the riffers I can remember. It's into my top 10 of the original show for sure.

I also saw Avalanche. Rock Hudson really captures a certain middle-aged creepiness well, but I'm not sure it's what the director was going for.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bridget's dad was a mayor. Mary Jo's dad was a mayor. We need to keep an eye on the daughters of Minnesota mayors apparently.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

...! posted:

It was jarring enough when they switched from Joel to Mike. I don't think I could handle another change; I really can't see the show being the same. Is the new cast really all that good? I mean, I like Patton and Felicia in other things but they just seem like they'd be a weird fit for this show.

Yeah they're really good. Give it a try.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

adamcantsleep posted:

I'm curious, fellow goon-MSTies, how do you feel about the new series? Should a series about Mystery Science Theater 3000 focus more on the new episodes where they're still relatively fresh and new or jump all over the series' long and wonderful history? I co-host the bi-weekly podcast, It's Just A Show, and we've been cherry-picking episodes at random from different eras, including the new series.

A lot of feedback we've gotten from listeners have been positive about our randomized approach, but I'm curious if folks who may not have yet listened to IJAS would want a greater focus on the new episodes for now? Is it best to give greater attention and focus on the new series for now or give it a chance to breathe and gain greater momentum?

PS: Trace Beaulieu likes us. Maybe you will, too.

I haven't listened to your show (yet) but I think I'd rather keep to a randomised approach. That way if I have a favourite era I'm not waiting ages to hear something I'm super excited about.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

rydiafan posted:

So at the risk of a derail I have a question.

Can any Euro goons tell me if Gypsy's name is an issue over there? Americans don't know it's offensive, so we put it in our media all the time.

I live in the UK and I have literally never spoken to another person IRL who had ever heard of MST3K. It might be bigger now it's on Netflix, I dunno. As for the name, it's not really hit the popular consciousness that 'gypsy' is a slur. It's not unknown but people are super racist against travelling people in general so it'll be a while getting it to take. My great-grandad was Roma and the family's never referred to him as anything but a gypsy, with huge affection and respect.

Now let's talk about how saying 'spaz' is really horrible over here :D

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I hadn't watched Danger: Death Ray before and I am loving delighted right now.

"Can you turn the radio down? I'm just really sick of this song."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I watched Soultaker once and it was fine. Not good, but fine, I would probably watch it again if I came across it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'd love to see Pearl, Clayton and Kinga together in a scene, just to see what the heck that looks like.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's a bit in 'Zombie Nightmare' where the entirety of the skit is that Crow is minding his own business and Tom abruptly runs him over with a car. It struck me precisely right the first time I saw it and now it delights me every time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Crow in 'The Brute Man' channelling the angry shopkeeper while Mike bends double trying to suppress his laughter gets me every time. "I hope you die!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Which episodes are those weird morality plays about how The Youth of Today are Degenerate and will Come to Bad Ends? Like 'Girls Town' or 'I Accuse My Parents' or 'The Violent Years'? Those are among my favourites.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know, you had him last! :v:

You can't say that. That's a really stupid joke and I'm gonna tell Mike. :mad:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I started watching Mike and still favour him, but the others are fine too and the dynamic is different every time. I love all of this doofy show and that 'Pompeii' video makes me misty-eyed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

For my money, Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy didn't come into their own until they got to Castle Forrester. For one, it meant they'd dropped the network-mandated storylines. That in turn mean they had more flexibility, closer to Dr. F and Frank, where one minute they're inventing the Recomfy Bike, and another they're sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, and watching "Vicki."

(I have a soft spot for moments when the bots or Mads start acting like Midwestern housewives.)

My favourite Brain Guy moment is still when he says his friends have been invited over 'to watch Sliders in my room.' I don't know why it tickles me so much but I think about it sometimes and chuckle.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

remusclaw posted:

I love Rifftrax, but I always feel like it is missing something important.

And that something is puppets and skits.

I feel this exact same way. I'm a bit amazed at myself that apparently the 'guy and robots' storyline is actually important to my enjoyment of the whole thing. I like Rifftrax fine but I don't like it as much as MST3K, despite it having my favourite riffing team.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It’s so odd to me that he’s called Exeter. That’s just a town. It’s like if he were named Cambridge.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's a host segment where - I think - Tom abruptly runs Crow down in a car and it made me laugh so hard I almost hurt myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Crow dancing to the hold music while he waits for tech support is the best thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

agreed, Trace is the high water mark for Crow

I also agree with this after a lot of catching up with earlier eps (most of what I'd seen until a year or two ago were the scifi years). Trace's Crow has a wonderful high cackle when he's really amused that enchants me. Having said that I really enjoy everyone. I think I only prefer Mike because I saw him first.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My introduction to the whole thing was Jack Frost and I think it's almost perfect.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The emcee at Club Scum is the only enjoyable performance in that horrid movie so I'm glad he did well for himself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm 15 minutes or so into Mac and Me and I'm so happy. Tom's voice has settled in, the riff pacing is perfect, the guys are laughing at each other again. It's like nothing changed at all :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zesty posted:

Eh. I’m about the same and I can already tell they didn’t learn from the mistakes of last season.

Old MST3K didn’t feel like the characters were omniscient and setting up everything in advance. Jokes start before what’s being shown on screen that supposedly preceded it. Characters cooperate on a bit too quickly. Everything is so rapid fire.

I’m just not feeling it. It’s a little... too artificial.

Hey, fair enough, I'm sorry you're not feeling it. I genuinely don't think the riffs are any more rapid-fire than they were during the Mike years, anyway - that's most of what I'm familiar with.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mike is my favourite and a sweetheart but he's also a walking catastrophe and cannot be contained. Shooting him into space where he could roam the universe was Clayton Forrester's most monstrous crime.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, AdBlock Plus. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, ouch. It feels like every five minutes or something, and that's not hyperbole sometimes.

Try Ublock Origin instead, maybe? Adblock Plus used to be good but then they sold out to allow certain ads through for money, so maybe that's why that's happening. Maybe not though - I could be very wrong about all of that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tankadillo posted:

Anyone have episodes they like to watch because the movie itself is actually kind of good? I think Moon Zero Two isn’t that bad, and I get a kick out of the western-space setting that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

I have a fondness for Soultaker I cannot explain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean - a lot of these movies would be way less known without MST3K, wouldn't they? I would never have seen Soultaker in a million years and I kinda love that stupid movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Awwwww Kevin.