Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
This is still one of my favorite things done by MST3K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGAyxq8_ho

"Marines we are leaving!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm surprised only one person has Touch of Satan on their list. Maybe I'm just wired wrong but that one gets me laughing my rear end off no matter how many times I see it. There are other episodes I really like but none of them feel nearly as funny as that one. Except The Final Sacrifice, which comes pretty close.

Now that I think about it, it's weird. I like Joel better, but if I did a top ten they'd definitely all be Mike episodes.

Touch of Satan is a classic for me. Between "This is where the fish lives" and "Get off the road, Man-Goat!", I'm pretty much in stitches the whole movie.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 20, 2016

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Now we see though a mirror, dumbly.

God I love Puma Man.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Gypsy's singing during the "Idiot Control Now" skit kills me every time.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Everyone in Hobgoblins deserved to be eaten by tiny sock-puppet monsters.

I love the riff but drat those characters make me hurt.

It does have one of my favorite MST3K jokes though.

"Paint my muscle car prune colored please!"

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Gavok posted:

The most annoying character in that movie went on to much success as Cosmo from the Fairly Oddparents and that always blows my mind.

The host of Club Scum. Actor named Daran Norris whose IMDB page is packed, the guy gets work for sure. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0358460/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

Its always interesting to see who shows up in some of MST3K's movies.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mokinokaro posted:

Mitchell, Space Mutiny, Pumaman and Werewolf are the starters I tend to use.

This and Time Chasers is my exact list.

"The guy's office is in a branch library?"

"Castleton Snob!"

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I just watched Eegah on Netflix. We are truly living in the future.

"Sorry about my face!"

It's been a while since I watched it that movie but oh man, I forgot how...uncomfortable that movie gets near the end. Yeesh.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Future War is a national treasure. It proves that you too can make a movie for 20 bucks and some random people. Maybe even Robert Z'dar will drive by (though probably not these days) and agree to be in it. Better yet, chances are you will make a movie better than Future War.

Also every moment they are fighting around the cardboard boxes has me in stitches. Easily one of my favorite MST3K sections.

"Maybe they ship fully inflated balloons overseas."

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was Future Wars that the director got completely and vocally upset about the riff, right?

Yeah, Time Chasers is where the director got pretty upset over the rift. I think he sent the film to MST3K thinking they would actually like it, only to get mad about the riffs if memory serves

Future War is more that the director quit after the first screening and the movie got cobbled together by the FX team. Also, they knew it was going to be MST3K fodder during production. This is taken from its Wikipedia:

Wiki posted:

During the movie's production crew members joked that the film should end up on Mystery Science Theater 3000. When Doublin finished his work, he turned in a director's cut that ran with 40 minutes of mostly dialog. Future War was screened for several members of the crew. After the screening a discussion was held and Doublin quit, forcing a "Damage Control Unit" to be organized. Johnny Saiko from Steve Wang FX was brought in to take over the "trackers" and the film was completed and screened at AFM.[1]

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I don't know what's harder for me to believe: that sexy Diabolik is Kalgan, or that nobody on the MST crew noticed he was the same actor...

Oh. My. God...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TerminalSaint posted:

I feel the same way. They were also kind of tainted for me; I gave some of the very first ones a go when they came out, and it was just Mike. There was something very depressing about Mike riffing all alone. :(

Agreed. I did not come back till the rest of the crew joined him as there was something about a single person commentary that did not mesh with me.

I am glad I did though. The rifftraxs for the Matrix Sequels are comedy gold.

Edit: Oh, I did not know there were a bunch of Rifftraxs on Amazon Prime. Thank you! This will help with waiting for the new season.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I always looked at it like Joel was the Bots' father and he plays to that type with his "Oh you guys" moments. Mike is more their older brother and a lot of his jokes come from riffing and playing off them.

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm a bad person but Joel's voice is just so sleepy it's hard for me not to prefer Mike's energy.

Same. I prefer Mike but Joel finally grew on me over the last few years. I think the point about seeing Joel as a host for an adults version of a children's show is spot on.

To be fair, I think Mike got better movies to riff on (though the worst host segments in trade off)

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Despera posted:

Honestly thought the show had more comic potential if it were set in hell.

Mystery Purgatory Theater 666! :power metal riff:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
That song is super charming.

This is great!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'm so happy they brought back letters. There is something some sweet about that and kind of forgotten in this day in age.

edit: Spoil? I hope not for anyone. It was a nice surprise for me

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I feel like if Beast of Hollow Mountain had been named "The Gringo Cowboy," eliminated most of the references and foreshadowing to the beast (like if we saw the old guy drown in the swamp and the bad guy's henchmen driving the cattle into quicksand), and so it was a Western right up until the moment the allosaurus interrupts the climax, it would have been amazing.

"Sudden Dinosaur Attack: The Western" would have been a better movie.

I just cant believe the climax of the movie is the main character swinging back and forth on a rope swing to lure a dinosaur into a swamp. Its so bafflingly dumb and it almost feels like the Beast just kind sits and watches him for a few moments in equal awe at how silly it is.

Cry Wilderness is such a perfect second episode. I introduced the show to two friends this weekend and they liked Reptilicus but I could feel the final act of the movie drag a bit. How many scenes of danish soldiers shooting at nothing does a movie really need? Cry Wilderness just knocked it out of the park. Really up there with the bests of MST3K.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Push El Burrito posted:

The villain on Starcrash is also my new favorite actor.

That actor understood what kind of movie he was in and played it to perfection. The ridiculous cape fluttering behind him whenever he moved was just great.

There is no way to find out what ratings/views certain things get on netflix is there? I legit curious to see how well MST3K is doing cause I'm surprised by the media coverage I've seen. The reviews for this show have all been very positive from what I've seen that is.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
It really is a great entry into the series. You get a mix of the old with Doctor Forester and the new with Mike. It also helps that it is super quotable.

"But I'm not an alien!"

"Breach Hull All Die. Huh! Even had it underlined."

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Bicyclops posted:

"Breach hull, all die, even had it underlined" is up there with the anteater jokes and "Merry Christmas, you big beautiful couch!"

It's tied with the many names of David Ryder for me. That's the show's high water mark for myself.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Holy poo poo, the end of The Loves of Hercules

God bless this very silly silly show

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TL posted:

Just started Wizards 2 and the kid in this movie sounds like he can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!

It took me one painful teenage voice squeak to suddenly remember that he was the teenager in Tremors.

God Wizards 2 is a bad movie/great MST3K episode

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I just finished the series last night. I've already said enough good things about individuals episodes, but the rebooted series as a whole really captures what I loved about MST3K.

Its charming in general with Jonah coming off as a lovable doofus with his two robot friends. The dynamic is similar to Mike but different in important ways. Whereas Mike felt like an older brother, Jonah is more of the kid across the street coming over to hang out. It does the series credit I think and establishes something a bit different that does not ruin the "oh gosh you guys" dynamic the show thrives on.

The bots took some time to get used too but fit into their roles easily enough in a couple of episodes. The netflix shorts also really helped establish them as the characters for me.

In general, I really do find it charming. I keep coming back to that word to describe it to new and old fans. It never veers to hard into blue humor, despite the occasional outburst and accompanying "hush" that the show loves to do. It also feels nerdy in a generic way that I always ascribed to the show. When it got announced that it was coming back, I worried that it would dive deep in endless geek/nerd references like a bad youtube let's play but instead it retains a lot of the older's shows DNA. There is more gaming/nerd humor in it but I never felt it was overly forced and any fan could pick up on it.

I am bit sad that the live tour is not coming anywhere near Texas for me and I do hope that the show gets picked up for more seasons. Given how positive the response has been, or at least as far as we can tell, I think that's likely. Still after years of nothing but the odd Turkey Day Marathon appearance, its great just to get a dozen or so new episodes to love on.

Welp, loved it! Now to enjoy to some re-watches. I got a big state test on Saturday I need to pass but after that grueling experience (ugh 5 hour tests), I got feeling that Cry Wilderness and some much needed booze is in order.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Vermain posted:

I think my only real quibble with the new series is that it feels a touch too scripted in places. The rapid pace of jokes sometimes doesn't leave enough room for the previous joke to breathe, and there was a general lack of bemusement with the films that made the delivery feel less spontaneous. Having Joel/Mike or the bots crack up over some cheap special effect or poor line delivery added a touch of authenticity to the whole experience of, "You're watching this bad film along with these three other guys for the first time." This might just be a consequence of a different comedic style or filming restrictions - when you're on as tight a shooting schedule as they seemed to be, you really don't want to potentially gently caress up the delivery with a giggling fit.

This is a fair complaint. I think it has something to do with the amount of guest writers they had for the season. I remember that they sent the tapes out and got jokes with time codes sent back. I imagine there is a lot of comedy gold they did not want to lose but it does make the episodes feel stuffed. Some jokes did not get the proper time to kind of "air out" if you well. I do remember hearing them giggle and laugh at some of the worst effects in the movies. Reptilicus eating the guy is the one that springs to mind the easiest, but I swear I remember some of At the Earth's Core. But yeah, I imagine the tight scheduling (2 weeks seems like a breakneck pace) and the writing style is at fault for that complaint.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Plus enough of a name to draw in casual/non fans without eclipsing the show. Same for Patton.

To be honest, I was most concerned from Patton at the get go. I genuinely like the guy but that's a big name for the show. I admit to not really knowing who Heston was beforehand tho. Patton nailed it though. He played the comedic side-kick great and thought his little character arc towards the back half of the season was great. I really liked the little gift giving montage in The Christmas That Almost Wasn't especially. He is pretty expressive.

Great casting all around.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

precision posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think Manos is a top 10 episode. I prefer the rifftrax live version.

It has never really gelled with me either. The pacing of the movie are terrible and the entire thing makes no sense. The gang have some good jokes but I almost always check out early. I should check out the rifftrax version.

Like, I appreciate it as a community thing but man I do not like the episode. To each their own though...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've tried twice and I've yet made it though Hamlet.

I teach English and legitimately like Hamlet but that movie feels like weaponized Ambien.

God its just dull. You could tell me that Mike and gang reveal the secret to happiness and the cure for cancer in the second half of the movie and I'd still not make it through.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

This will always be one of my favorite MST3K moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

The full scene for some context,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onWNxvSLVk

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

precision posted:

What one episode has everyone watched the most?

Aside from some obvious picks like Mitchell, for some reason I love The Beatniks so much.

Time Chasers for me. Something about the silly movie and the great riffs just make it an easy pick and perfect background on rough days.

"The guy's office is in a branch library."

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Burkion posted:

Having finished the season again recently

I just

Feel obligated to post this video again. Can this be made part of the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

Because seriously. MST3K is alive again. What a time. What a beautiful thing in such an ugly time.

Its been a rough weekend. The news is terrible and I'm anxious about starting my student teaching position. That video is just hits the right spots right now. Thank you for posting it. Its done a world of good.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Egbert Souse posted:

Just rewatched Time Chasers for the first time in nearly a decade. It really is one of the best episodes of the show between the lovingly silly movie, the riffs, and the host segments.

It's just about as perfect as television can get! /Jack Perkins

It really is a great episode. I've used Space Mutiny in the past to try to get people into the show, but the Host Segments always come off wrong. Whereas I love the segment when Mike and Crow float over to Pearl's car for a quick chat. Its got that warm charm while still being a bit "evil" in that fun way.

Its a great episode in so many ways.

"Hi. I'm Bob Evil!"

Also everything involving his office is comedy gold.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The Day the Earth Froze is our first movie.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Proteus Jones posted:

I'd forgotten how dark some of the original riffing could get.

"Now whose getting dark..."

Jeez, it has been a while since I've seen this one.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

HannibalBarca posted:

Are the issues with the stream on my end or theirs

Looks like its youtube making GBS threads the bed. There was an admin who said the twitch.tv stream was fine.

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Bicyclops posted:

Everyone in the chat is making GBS threads on new Gypsy and it's making me mad. :mad:

There are no good opinions in twitch/youtube chat. Nothing good happens there.

All Gypsies are good Gypsies...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

precision posted:

oh god it's this short.

Oh god, I hate theater people...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Two separate beds and an ashtray on the nightstand. Yep, we are in the 50's alright.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Commercial jump scares are the way of the future.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Crow T. Guthrie...

IN CARS!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

I love JOIKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret