Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just finished watching Riding With Death, flipped channels and stumbled across an episode of The Love Boat. And who was there? Yep, Ben Murphy.

I like him in spite of the fact he's not me.

The reboot may be the thing that makes me finally break down and get a Netflix account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

So I'm visiting Montreal this week and I dropped into a head shop on St. Catherine in the gay village, and what did I see but this amazing art (sorry for the lovely pic -- they didn't allow photos in the store so i had to stealth snap it with my phone). If I could have figured out how to get it home with me (I live in the States) I totally would have bought it. I want this painting SO bad.

But if I can't have it, another MSTie should, so if you're in Montreal, go get this!

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 13, 2016

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I didn't even ask because I knew there was no way I could get it home.

:sigh:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So I know this isn't a super political thread, but I heard a story yesterday from TV's Frank on his radio show. Frank is super in the bag for Hillary (check his twitter) and I guess had been asked to organize some comedians to do a benefit for her. He did all that was asked, but then when the higher up Hillary people found out they basically kicked him off the bill because he's too inflammatory. And so now all the other comedians dropped out too.

Feelin' bad for Frank. :smith:

Breadallelogram posted:

Resisting the urge to post about politics in the mst3k thread but I'll just say that Frank is far less "inflammatory" than Lena Dunham, who has campaigned prominently for HRC.

Agreed to both, but here, let me help get things back on track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6IrAWaAF9k

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm definitely in the "worse the movie is, the better the episode" camp. Even something like The Starfighters, a movie where nothing happens because it was made entirely to convince people that the Lockheed Starfighter wasn't a flying death trap, has a certain fascination.

I agree. For whatever reason, I really, really like The Starfighters.

Evil Mastermind posted:

:siren: The VOD of the Reunion Show is up! :siren:

If you backed the kickstarter, they just sent out the reward links.

Yay! Thanks for the update. I didn't back the Kickstarter but I did preorder, and I'd been wondering when it would be available. I know what I'm doing with the rest of my evening!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Was anyone else nerdy enough in 1995 (or 96 or whenever it was) to actually go chase it down in a theater?

I did, with my brother and a friend. We only realized after the movie was over that we should have taken the first three seats in the front row.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Painted my living room yesterday:

Turns out flesh really is a nice color for a house.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I LOVE this gif.

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/820329859750694912

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

I still say, buried underneath all of Coleman Francis' ineptitude, there's an interesting story in there.

I honestly feel this way about The Skydivers. It could have been decent in the hands of a more competent director.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

A surprising number of people have Stockholm Syndrome for Dave Coulier et al. I almost wonder if that's why The Real Ghostbusters finally made it on there.

Dave Coulier was a pretender to the throne. Lorenzo Music supremacy for lyfe, yo.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

mangler103 posted:

I'm a little obsessed with Rifftrax. I buy pretty much everything they put out. Except the shorts. I'd be happy to buy them, but without a playlist feature, it's kind of annoying when I want to watch something for an hour or so to keep having to take a break, dig through the library and pick the next one.

I have a couple of shorts collections on DVD, but I've gotten used to not setting up a DVD player when I want to watch stuff. I'd happily buy digital downloads of shorts collections if they'd do it. Something like maybe all of the ACI shorts (At Your Fingertips: Garbage!) together or all the Norman shorts or something like that.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

At the start of the Christmas one they reference Hark, A Vagrant in regards to the open animation.

https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/853699756849328128

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I pre-emptively apologize if this has already come up, because I'm like 600 posts behind and gently caress trying to go back through a million pages of discussion.

There's going to be a release of the complete Cinematic Titanic on DVD in August. I just preordered mine from Amazon, and you can do the same:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HGJK3G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

So I found this while I was surfing around killing time:

You can even buy one if you don't think you can live without it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

My favorite episodes of the Netflix series are right in a row: Time Travelers (brilliant host segment where Joel makes a cameo as "Larry"), Avalanche (I'm a huge sucker for 70s disaster movies), and The Beast of Hollow Mountain (the running Blazing Saddles theme song gag absolutely slays me and there are two really strong host segments: Tom's fashion show and Crow and Tom freaking everyone out by re-enacting the mysterious festival dancing).

I give an honorable mention to The Land That Time Forgot. I want to like Starcrash more than I do but it really suffers too much under the weight of the hideously bad acting. The riffs can help some movies rise above bad acting, but Starcrash is not one of those. (A futuristic robot with a terrible southern drawl? REALLY?!?)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

:smug: My airport, my waayyyyyyfuckinghell wha's that guy doing on the runway :stonk:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40571913

Go back to your piddling Congress! I run an airport!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Sash! posted:

I'm the guy that picks fights with made for TV hippies while buying diet gum

Mr. Woodruff? He looks like a roll-on deodorant.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

"I'm lonely down there"

"Two zips and we're naked!"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Off the top of my head, I think they dropped an entire minor character—a bridge-and-tunnel-type cabdriver. There may have been more, but I can't remember.

You mean the guy from "Noo Yawk"?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

mangler103 posted:

Wearing my sweet new Pod People shirt today. Thanks to whoever posted the link to those shirts a couple weeks ago.

:hfive:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

For whatever it's worth, I got a Netflix account specifically for the reboot. I can't imagine I'm the only MST3K fan who did that, so there must be added revenue there as well.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Speaking of which, I recently found out Miguel Ángel Fuentes is still kicking around the Mexican Telenovela circuit and will even show up in the occasional American production (Texas Rising, most recently), which kinda makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

He's also in the Rifftrax of Bermuda Triangle, which I highly recommend. There are many Pumaman callbacks.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

What would Liberace do?

... no, better not do that.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I'm gonna score with me tonight!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

precision posted:

I guess I feel asleep the first time I watched Starcrash because I had no idea Seinfeld had a cameo and when he appeared I completely lost my poo poo

For a brief moment I thought you meant he had a cameo in the film, which blew my mind, and then I remembered "Oh, yeah: host segment."

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Isn't that the remastered version of Manos that Ben Solo did?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Ballz posted:

That's the one, although part of the appeal of the MST episode is how awful the print is. Now it no longer looks like a Zapruder film.

So the riff about every shot looking like someone's last known photo suddenly loses its oomph.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M013NSukf1w&t=1580s

This goes on longer than what was seen on the show.

Annnnd now I'm watching the whole thing. Thanks!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

He did not defeat the Martians, but was at least able to keep the lights on at home thanks to a wimpy lawyer with an ABDL fetish.

Strange question, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the running gag about Whipple acting like a baby came from. Is it just because of the scene where he and Santa are playing with the toys in the department store?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Thanks. As many times as I've watched that episode, I somehow missed that riff.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

precision posted:

I feel like rifftrax has generally been getting less good the more they focus on using obscure movies they can do VODs of. Aside from truly exceptional episodes like Guy From Harlem, they rarely reach the heights they attain in such classics as the Twilight commentaries

And I actually prefer the more obscure movies because I have no interest in sitting through riffs of modern stuff. I also prefer my entertainment to be combined into one easy-to-swallow capsule, though, rather than having to pay for two separate things.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Mike and the Bots really lean into the sodium thing when the plot lulls again after they've already got the sodium (or at least have figured it out, the one guy has to drive into the big city to get a substantial amount after all) and what they're stuck on is how to actually track down the monsters to use the sodium on them.

They could use Campbell's soup -- that's got a lot of sodium.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Can I just say that I am in love with the Comet TV network. Not only are they airing MST3k on Sunday nights, but I have also seen a bunch of unriffed versions of movies that have been featured not only on MST3k but also Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic. Eegah is on right now where I am.

It's a fuckin' amazing network, I guess is what I'm saying.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Chief..?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day, thread!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Good lord, I stay off the forums with a concussion for three days and I come back to 223 new posts in this thread.

Anyway, has anyone else seen Brandon's Cult Movie Reviews? I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned in this thread. I stumbled across it one day a while back and the next thing I knew it was 2 hours later and I had watched like 5 or 6 episodes.

It's a good partner for MST3k; he's actually reviewed a few movies that have been done on MST3k, and he gives shout-outs to them when he does. He's a fun watch, I guess is what I'm saying.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

But seriously, best wishes to your brainmeats. Concussions suck; I got a big one a few years ago in a bike crash.

Thanks. It's been a rough week. I find myself frequently paraphrasing Tom's riff from Sidehackers: "Remember when [I] used to be smart?"

muscles like this! posted:

If she's up on her aviation history The Starfighters might be fun.

Edit: The jet in the movie was notoriously unsafe, mainly for the reasons that they mention as pluses. Its wings were too short and thin to actually hold it up and the plane crashed like crazy.

I showed The Starfighters to an Air Force vet friend of mine and she about died laughing. It's always been one of my favorites.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Does anyone know if Comet has quit running MST3k on Sunday nights now? I just looked at their schedule for tonight and next Sunday and it's not on either week. I mean, I can get my fix elsewhere, but it's disappointing if that's the case. There's just something really nostalgic about watching it on an actual TV channel that I really like.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Aww, that makes me legitimately sad.

RIP, you wonderful Canadian superhero. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

:same:

EDIT: Final Sacrifice was better than it had any right being. What ever happened to the director?

Wikipedia posted:

The Final Sacrifice arose as the project of a film student named Tjardus Greidanus, who was enrolled in the filmmaker program at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. The film was completed with a budget of approximately $1,500 using cameras borrowed from the school. Christian Malcolm, who starred as Troy, was a fellow student of Greidanus and co-wrote the screenplay.

And I'm happy to report he's still directing!