Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rollersnake posted:

I still wonder why not have new bots instead of recasting Crow and Tom again, but I trust Joel knows what he's doing, and excitement is winning out over doubt.

Branding. Crow and Tom are the mascots of MST3K. They're the most recognizable characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

I wonder how "blue" the new MST3k will go. I'm guessing not at all (which is fine) but maybe to the level of the MST3k movie with the occasional 'poo poo' thrown in.

I think the beeping they do on Rifftrax is funnier than actually hearing the swears.

Watched the Kingdom of the Spiders Rifftrax on Hulu, and hearing Mike give out a long, angry "You're BEEPing kidding me" after Shatner explained the origins of his character's name of "Rack" is one of the funniest things I've heard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey I like Ortega.

edit: Updated the OP with Escape 2000 and The Final Sacrifice.

Just remember, we want that to primarily list good jumping on points for the show, not just personal favorites. I tried to use Hobgoblins to introduce my wife and it took her two years to give the show another shot.

I think Angels' Revenge is the best ep to introduce the show to someone. It has recognizable actors, is fast paced, and takes itself too seriously so that it's easy to laugh at. And Mitchell was the ep that made me a fan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nessus posted:

Contact Dr. Jemima.

The secret government Eggo Project

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

quote:

Filmmaker Dave Eddy revealed that this is another movie that kind of collapsed halfway through production and got taken over by another director (him). The original director, Tony Doublin, was battling with the movie’s producer, who felt the fight and action scenes weren’t being done correctly. (He might have been right!) Ultimately Doublin quit and Eddy and his team (dubbed the “Damage Control Unit”) was hired to salvage the movie as best they could. This is the result.

quote:

He also noted that, while they did so, he and some of the crew remarked that it would be great if some day their movie would show up on “Mystery Science Theater 3000”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Volume 37 titles announced:
420- THE HUMAN DUPLICATORS

Jet Jaguar posted:

Richard Kiel! I remember nothing else about the Human Duplicators other than it has Richard Kiel in it.

I'm not too proud to admit that there's a riff in THE HUMAN DUPLICATORS that I use in my daily life. Whenever waiting for something that's taking too long, I'll say "Nine hours later", followed by "Meanwhile, the following June ..."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

A couple Decembers ago, I couldn't sleep and turned on AMC at 3am to find the movie Santa Claus, a 1959 movie that probably sucked then and sure as poo poo was nightmare fuel in 2014.

Fortunately, I thought of an old show I watched in the early 2000s and figured they'd done it. Sure enough, MST3K riffed it, and it's the only way to watch it without being uncomfortable.

I'm glad to see this is coming back and I'm hoping the classics wind up on Netflix, too.

I saw it in theaters. It was the early 80s, and a General Cinema theater has a kid's morning matinee, and this was one of the films playing. Never remember what it was called, all I remembered was Santa Claus vs the Devil. And this was shortly after The Amityville Horror had come out, and the trailers for that had scared the crap out of me

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Similarly, Tom Servo's perfectly-timed scream in the "buzz off, kid" scene in Mitchell.

Do to the editing of the film for broadcast, it turned out that that kid was the son of Linda Evan's character. I think it adds more not knowing that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Out Of This World is pretty much always going to be mine, just because of how campy the premise (and the demon) are.

I was about to mention that one. All those specialty breads . . .

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

So here's an interesting question: who's dumber, Jimmy from I Accuse My Parents, or Marv from High School Big Shot?

I mean, they're both pretty stupid, but at least Marv was able to sort-of organize a heist. Not well, but he put a plan together. Jimmy doesn't seem to pay attention to anything that's going on around him because he's too busy making up stories about his parents.

At least Jimmy wrote an essay! But yeah, Jimmy was an idiot.

Bimmi posted:

The one I won't rewatch under any circumstances is Kitten With a Whip. Intensely unpleasant little movie, not a funny enough episode to be worth the slog. At least almost everybody died at the end.

I love Kitten with a Whip.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got Volume XXXVII (w/bonus disc) today.

That leaves these to be released:

0201 Rocketship X-M
0212 Godzilla vs. Megalon (technically already released in Volume 10)
0213 Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster

0309 The Amazing Colossal Man
0311 It Conquered the World

0416 Fire Maidens From Outer Space
0418 Attack of the The Eye Creatures

0601 Girls Town
0602 Invasion USA
0605 Colossus and the Headhunters
0618 High School Big Shot
0623 The Amazing Transparent Man

0807 Terror from the Year 5000
0809 I Was a Teenage Werewolf

0905 The Deadly Bees
0906 The Space Children
0913 Quest of the Delta Knights

1007 Track of the Moonbeast
1013 Diabolik

That would make five (maybe four if they pushed it) sets to go.

Got my Vol XXXVII yesterday, and it DIDN'T have the bonus disc, even though I preordered as soon as it was announced

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ballz posted:

Hit them up and let them know, probably everyone who pre-ordered should be getting that bonus disc. I pre-ordered like, two weeks ago and they still had them available at the time.

My copy still hasn't arrived yet so I dunno if it'll be missing the disc or not. The shipping email made it clear it was included, though.

Still, I never thought the day would come where we start winding down the release of new MST3K box sets. Great job, Shout (and great job loving up, Rhino, we wouldn't have ever gotten Godzilla v. Megalon if it weren't for your incompetence :cheers:)

I e-mailed them earlier today about it, so now we play the waiting game.

And about new MST3K boxsets, don't forget, there's more new eps coming next year! So that's at least 3 sets.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Is anyone else disappointed by the re-releases of the Rhino volumes. Shout goes all out with their Volumes. Each episode gets a single case, the mini posters, special features. These are super bare bones, just like the original Rhino sets. Even the DVD menus are just the title with the ending theme.

I wanted a Big, Beefy Version of Space Mutiny dammit!

They specifically said they did this so they didn't feel like they were ripping off the buyers of the Rhino sets by including a whole lot of new stuff.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 24, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fezz posted:

I'll have to disagree with that as there are a vast number of movies in both shows of varying qualities. There a good movies in both. I'd recommend Guy From Harlem, Ghosthouse, and Abraxas as on par with many MST3K episodes.

Kingdom of the Spiders. Everyone should watch Kingdom of the Spiders, if only for Mike's reaction when learning why Shatner's character is called "Rack".

"You're. BLEEEEEP. Kidding. Me."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?

Mine was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8xguNziN4o

First episode I saw was "Untamed Youth" at one friend's house, then later a different friend showed me "Manos".

And I hated the show.

Then my sister came home from college with a Turkey Day marathon on tape and made the family watch "Mitchell", and it finally clicked for me, and I was hooked.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

A bunch of people have mentioned that MST3K: The Movie was their first intro to the show. It kind of amazes me that it found that much life on video. It ran in barely any theaters at all (apparently the studio was actively trying to bury it). We had to drive 30 miles to a theater because that was the only place that was showing it.

Was anyone else nerdy enough in 1995 (or 96 or whenever it was) to actually go chase it down in a theater?

My sister, my friend, and I all saw the movie on opening day, and it wasn't too hard to find, because my city had a couple of "art house" theaters that showed nothing but independent stuff, and MST3K: The Movie was one of them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shout's having a sale on its MST3K titles this weekend:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/editorials-sales/editorials/mst3k-turkey-day-sale?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mst_1123

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Saturday nights works to..

OHH! How about a gang tag for us? I'm thinking making it look like a flight patch "S.O.L Mk II" Or Mk 3 if we want to count the SOL from the KTMA season.

The Forrester Family Crest, obviously.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is a pretty good top 20 (from the list included in Joel's email)

1. Manos: The Hands of Fate - (424)
2. Space Mutiny - (820)
3. Mitchell - (512)
4. The Final Sacrifice - (910)
5. Pod People - (303)
6. Puma Man - (903)
7. Santa Claus Conquers The Martians - (321)
8. Werewolf - (904)
9. Cave Dwellers - (301)
10. Time Chasers - (821)

11. Overdrawn At The Memory Bank - (822)
12. I Accuse My Parents - (507)
13. Eegah! - (506)
14. Gamera - (302)
15. Prince of Space - (816)
16. Hobgoblins - (907)
17. Laserblast - (706)
18. Soultaker - (1001)
19. Godzilla vs. Megalon - (212)
20. Jack Frost - (813)

I'd swap out Teenagers From Outer Space for Laserblast, because otherwise the High Court may well sentence you to TORCHA!

Disappointed by the sheer lack of Angels Revenge on that list.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

What are the most watchable MST films other than This Island Earth? By 'most watchable' I mean least boring; they can be bad-good or good-good.

Gotta go with Angels Revenge, again. Giant Spider Invasion. Squirm. Master Ninja I & II as well, but I may be biased. I actually watched that show when it was originally on. Some of the TV pilots too. Code Name: Diamond Head and Stranded in Space are watchable. And Riding With Death.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Never noticed it before, but when watching one of Joel's eps, in the opening credits, when it cuts to Joel and the Bots in the theater, the shot is actually reversed (The Gizmonics on Joel's jumpsuit is backwards).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

This reminds me of something I just noticed a few days ago. In the season one opening, there's a shot where you can see both Jim and Josh's heads as they work the puppets. I think it was during the "to make his robot friends" line.

I also noticed when Joel is making notes in the credits (when he tips his helmet), not only does his marker have the cap still on, he's holding it upside down.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Did Shout!Factory begin reprinting MST3K volumes starting from Vol.I? Sorry if I'm late to the discussion, I've just noticed new titles on Amazon. Is the content any different from the original release?

They've done 1-3, with 4 scheduled for next month. Other than the packaging (4 discs in a single case), the contents are identical to the Rhino releases.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Master Ninja is just... so weird. What is this bizarre show, that ran on NBC right around the same time as Cheers, and had Demi Moore, that girl from Wings, and George Lazenby in it?

It was called "The Master" when it aired on NBC, and it was standard fair for an action show at the time. Hell, CBS had their own Ninja-themed show a decade later called "Raven".

Hogama posted:

Kickin' theme song, though.

This is the truth, even if it was taken from a James Bond movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Angel's Revenge. The movie's already absurd, so the riffing just enhances it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Volume 5's coming back in print in May

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/mst3k-volume-v

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

At one point in the late 90s, there was talk of them riffing on old Gold Key comics.

A Peanuts collection that came out a year or two back had a intro where Rifftrax riffed on 3 or 4 strips.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Can we at least know if Jonah sings the theme tune?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

I haven't revisited Diabolik in years because it made me sad that it was the last one. :gbsmith:

The ending was perfect though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

yeah... Hampton Yount is nailing it on the voice of Crow but Baron Vaughn isn't even close to doing a Tom Servo. I understand different actors will bring different things to the characters but it's not even close.

Bill was nothing like Trace, yet his Crow was still awesome.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Got the new boxset, and thiere's a nice little doc on there called "Mike, by Joel", in which Joe talks about how Mike came to hired for the show and about how he became the de facto go to actor for all the bit parts. The interesting bit is that when he was leaving, apparently Joel was pushing for Bridget to take over as host, instead of having, in his words, "another doughy mid-western guy". Though what is interesting is he wanted her to play Joel, just a Joel who had been hit by a sex change ray.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm excited mostly because maybe my wife will be able to enjoy it with me. She's German and a few years younger and most of the jokes are dependent on you either being American or old enough to remember 90s pop culture.

Can she pronounce "Werewolf"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/feliciaday/status/842431546548133892

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Man, I don't know how I'd never seen Future War but holy poo poo what a bad movie. It feels like the writer/director/everybody forgot to throw in a any exposition that actually matters to the characters to get them from one scene to another. All culminating in a hilarious riff where Captain Polaris (lol) angrily explains that the entire reason the main character is there is because a hither to unreferenced character named Fred Buroughs told him, and Mike and the bots start wondering out loud who he is and guessing if different random people are Fred Buroughs.

quote:

This was the directorial debut of Anthony Doublin, the award-winning special effect/miniature model maker from films like Bride of Re-Animator and the Carnosaur films. The actual "tracker" feet and mechanical tracker from Future War were taken by Doublin for use in Carnosaur 3.

During the movie's production crew members joked that the film should end up on Mystery Science Theater 3000. When Doublin finished his work, he turned in a director's cut that ran with 40 minutes of mostly dialog. Future War was screened for several members of the crew. After the screening a discussion was held and Doublin quit, forcing a "Damage Control Unit" to be organized. Johnny Saiko from Steve Wang FX was brought in to take over the "trackers" and the film was completed and screened at AFM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was Future Wars that the director got completely and vocally upset about the riff, right?

Fun game, watch the bonus features on the Shout DVDs, and count how many people involved hate that MST3K did their film, against those who don't mind.

The "star" of Pumaman, for one, wasn't happy. Nor was the director of "Alien from LA". One of the stars of "Squirm" liked it, but he said the director wasn't happy. Greydon Clark (Angel's Revenge, Final Justice) was happy people were just watching his films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I know they're probably not going to do it, but I really enjoyed the traveling around they did in the Sci-Fi years, visiting the Planet of the Apes, The Observers, etc.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Noticed Bill was one of the writers on Starcrash.

Also, you'd think by the 50th time Stella got captured, she would've told Akton that he should investigate, and she'd wait in the spaceship.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

If they get a season 12, they definitely need to do "Yor, Hunter From the Future":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRvXIsDSy0I

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I love Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy.

I particularly love that it's "Brain Guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"John Grisham, huh?"

"I love John Grisham. I've read this book six times. It's the only book on the ship. I hate John Grisham."