Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh I know. I mean like a Rifftrax of just Joel, Mike, and Jonah would be amazing.

I'm honestly surprised we never got a Mike and Joel riff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Shout's web store. It's $40 for everything, including War of the Insects which I don't think was ever released.

War of the Insects was released, I bought it several years ago.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:holymoley: I can't believe how much eBay folks want for Gamera.

Any clues as to what other sets may go out of print soon?

I got lucky. Back in Oct, an Amazon retailer was selling a new copy for only 70 bucks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's insane, I'm glad I bought mine years ago. Most I've ever paid for a set was $50~ for Volume 9.

Shout sells their sets for 55-60 bucks, so ten dollars more isn't too bad.

I had all the videos, but got on late to the dvd wagon, didn't start getting them until last year. So I missed the first 10 Rhino releases (Oddly enough, 11 and 12 are still readily available). I'm glad Shout is doing re-releases.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

mangler103 posted:

Going back through Futurama, and I forgot that they made an MST reference. In "Raging Bender" the crew goes to a movie, then the switch to a silhouette shot, and Fry makes a bad joke, then gets sushed and it pans over to Tom and Crow who tell him not to talk during the movie.

And then there was the time Mike & the Bots popped up on the MST3K inspired show "Cheap Seats"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj83qMPkSTQ

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I hope Cambot gets to do more in season 12. The SOL bridge was mainly static, and I felt those scenes needed more camera movement.

Hopefully they'll get to spend more time shooting the host segments. The Moon 13 stuff felt the same way

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm wondering if they're ever going to get around to rereleasing the rest of the Rhino singles

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Shout has redone all of the Rhino singles, in some form or another, except for Eegah, I Accuse My Parents, The Hellcats, and The Crawling Hand. I've always kinda hoped they'd do those as a "Volume 0".

That's what I want.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Finally watched Carnival Magic, and it has now one of my favorite riffs.

"My wife Sarah was killed in a car accident"
"... and they never found the talking monkey that did it."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Good to know, was wondering how close to the present day could MST3K take a movie to riff for season 12, admittedly part of the franchise's charm is that the majority of it's films have some age to them, but it's interesting to know that the revival could go fairly close to today in it's film selection and not be breaking it's own rules

Bad cinema is timeless. I just think the more recent a film is, the more difficult it would be to get the rights.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I'm still amazed when Rifftrax manage to do a movie I've actually heard of, and not just as a 'Just The Jokes', but as an actual full video stream/download. Like Super Mario Bros. or the most recent one, the Shannon Elizabeth Jack Frost slasher movie.

I actually saw "Santa Claus" in theaters. I was really young, and my father took my sister and I to one of those cheap matinee for children things. This was probably late seventies. And when I worked at Blockbuster, we actually carried "Werewolf" and "Deathstalker 3". And I religiously watched "The Master" (Master Ninja I/II) when it debut on NBC. Also rented "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank", "Parts: The Clonus Horror", and "Soultaker" on video before it was on MST3K.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kingdom of the Spiders is great, especially Mike's reaction to Shatner's character explaining why he's called Rack.

"YOU'RE. loving. KIDDING. ME."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'd like it if it was revealed both Joel and Mike are working at the same hot fish sandwich shop

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And Frank and Trace showed up on this RiffTrax with Mike, Kevin, and Bill. And Mary Jo and Bridgit.

https://www.rifftrax.com/batman-v-superman

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cal's delivery of "ROOOTH" was sublime, and made The Movie worth it for that alone.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ROOOOTH!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rifftrax actually did a couple of riffs in one of the Fantagraphics Peanuts collection

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SQAUNTO!

a warrior's tale

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just got the Shout re-release of Vol 7, and can someone with the original Rhino release answer a question for me?

On Prince of Space, do the host segments look really bad? Like they're really grainy and the dark colors bleed?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would you riff a good movie :confused:

Should do the 2004 remake. That could use a good riffing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

http://deadline.com/2018/04/roger-corman-lawsuit-sons-film-library-trust-fight-1202357825/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Didn't he sue the producers of Battlestar Galactica?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It was also created by Glen A Larson, who look at popular things from movies, than rip them off for tv:

Coogan's Bluff because McCloud
Star Wars became Buck Rogers*, and BG
Tron became Automan
Any Which Way But Loose became B.J. and the Bear
Hooper became The Fall Guy

*while he licensed Buck Rogers, there's no denying the impact Star Wars had on it.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 11, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Larryb posted:

I forget, but has there been any news yet as to when Season 11 will be publicly released on DVD?

It was released a few weeks ago. Got mine from Amazon

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just look up some of the reactions to Jodie Whittaker being cast as the new Doctor Who

Or better yet, don't.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I loved Bobo and Brain Guy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I just watched the "We Brought Back MST3K" doc, and Joel's earliest plan for the revival was to have him, Mike, Trace Crow, Bill Crow, Josh Tom, Kevin Tom, Clayton, Larry, Frank, Pearl, Brain Guy, and Bobo all on the show.

Theater would've been PACKED

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I want it to be revealed that Mike's the assistant manager at Joel's Hot Fish Sandwich shop

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Joel said he would've liked Bridget to take over as host, and she's just as religious as Mike

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Watching Future War right now, and when Crow talks about the "Bong Bong" music, Mike says "I wish I had a huge Bong Bong right now"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kate Micucci would be good, and she's already written for the show

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I still contend with Red Zone Cuba that Francis came up with the last line "Griffin ran all the way to hell... with a penny, and a broken cigarette" first, then worked his way backwards to get to that point. It just stinks of "Isn't this line so incredibly deep?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's not at all deep, but it is a good line in a pulp fiction cover kind of way. And Carradine's delivery really sells it.

But yeah, the movie itself is typical Francis, i.e., he's the only one who understands or cares what's happening on screen.

Oh, I know it's not deep, but you can imagine Francis thinking it was poignant as hell when he came up with it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Do we know who else did behind the scenes writing on the latest season?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6782014/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

In an interview with audio company Big Finish's executive producer Nick Briggs, Briggs told the story of the first time they worked with Warner. Briggs said after recording they all went out to dinner, and mid way through, Warner points across the table at Briggs and shout "You! Are you in charge here? I want a word with you!" Briggs said he started to panic, thinking "Oh god, we've pissed off David Warner." They stepped off to the side, at which point Warner began to gush about how wonderful a time he had, and would they please consider bringing him back for more?

They've brought him back so much he's considered one of their "rep" actors. Which leads to the anecdote that when Warner saw that Big Finish announced they were doing a project with Sir John Hurt, he called them up to explain that he was old friends with John, but hadn't seen him in years, and would it be all right if he stopped by the recording studio to say hi?

They informed him no, because they were already planning to cast David in the project with John.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Oh no!

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1001844868463906817

Poor one out for Zap

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

This was BF's Invisible Man, right? (It must be, because I don't think Warner was in any of the Hurt Doctor Who)

It was The War Doctor Vol 2: Infernal Devices. The story was Legion of the Lost.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ever see the cover for the film's VHS? Where it was title Quest for the Lost City?

That's not our Rowsdower!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That could mean a few things. They could cut the experiments in half, like with the MST3K Hour, so 90 minute eps don't seem too daunting to a binge watcher. Or they could go the Sci Fi Channel route and have story lines that carry through the host segments and over to other episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm hoping they can reprint Vols 8, 9, & 10; those are the only ones I'm missing