Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

On that note, what are some MST'd movies that you all think wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for a few minor tweaks? (This Island Earth excepted.)

Hmm... maybe Space Travelers (more properly known as Marooned) qualifies. It has its problems, mostly with the pacing and a few unmemorable characters. But you can think of it as a sort of very early prototype of Apollo 13. (Fun fact: it's also the only Oscar-winning film ever riffed on the show. It won best special effects and was nominated for sound and cinematography.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

Any time Crow suffers a freakout and falls apart, catches on fire, etc., is Mr Boods's fave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISRRn3wolk

The comic timing of the ending of this bit is so perfect that I still have trouble believing that it was really an on-set accident and wasn't intended at all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gavok posted:

I think you mean that Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Alf, Smurfs, Bugs Bunny, Michelangelo, Slimer and Garfield anti-drug movie. Ah, what a time it was to be a child.

Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue. It was actually something of a major event in Saturday morning cartoons, with all the networks playing it simultaneously, so just about everyone around their mid-30s or so is sure to have fuzzy memories of it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

kiimo posted:

I just got clued into this and all my dreams are becoming reality.

But why new Servo and Crow?

Same reason there's a new host. The show has always had a (gradually) changing cast. After all, none of the bots were their original voices by the end of the run, and of course the host and the mads were entirely different characters too. It's kind of like Saturday Night Live in that regard -- the players rotate in and out but the show continues. Joel has even put forth the idea that if the Sci-Fi Channel people hadn't canceled it, the show might be on its fifth or sixth "generation" of voices and characters by now. We've just had a bit of a hiatus, is all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I just tried to vote for my top 10 and got a 403 error when I hit the Vote button. :ohdear:

I'll try again in a bit. But here's my list, unless I change my mind before I try it again. Most of them are popular and will be getting plenty of votes, but I also want to give some love to some of the more obscure ones.

1. Prince of Space
2. Cave Dwellers
3. Thepumaman
4. Crash of the Moons
5. Jack Frost
6. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
7. The Amazing Colossal Man
8. The Screaming Skull
9. The Girl in Gold Boots
10. San Francisco International

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Now if you wanna talk leget good movies from the show, lets talk Magic Voyage of Sinbad.

That's not Sinbad.

But since we're on the topic of movies that sound fine on paper, this thread inspired me last night to watch Monster A Go-Go. The premise sounds like a perfectly solid B-movie: an astronaut crash lands but crazy space radiation has turned him into a monster that's going around killing people, so it's up to a band of plucky scientists to save the day. Great, it practically writes itself! How the hell could a filmmaker screw THAT up? ...Well, they found a way. This thing makes Manos look halfway-competent: at least Manos has, you know, some characters, and something that kind of resembles a plot. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Monster A Go-Go may actually be worse than The Beast of Yucca Flats.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?

Wish I knew. I gradually became aware of this weird but funny show that was sometimes on in the background in the dorm.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

A bunch of people have mentioned that MST3K: The Movie was their first intro to the show. It kind of amazes me that it found that much life on video. It ran in barely any theaters at all (apparently the studio was actively trying to bury it). We had to drive 30 miles to a theater because that was the only place that was showing it.

Was anyone else nerdy enough in 1995 (or 96 or whenever it was) to actually go chase it down in a theater?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kickstarter update from Joel! Not a whole lot in the way of new details, but he says they should have the new episodes all ready for release in early 2017.

Also, if you're getting your name in the end credits, there's a link to the master list, to double-check what's going to be there. Make sure you're spelled right, everybody! (I count no less than three instances of Boaty McBoatface, but astonishingly, no Big McLargeHuge.)

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 21, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

:aaaaa: I just noticed Pearl's "Guard! Sick man!" callback to Red Zone Cuba.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I've never seen it, but i've heard the uncut version explains the point of the Balarians better. Implicating that they are controlling Kalgon's men to doing stupid stuff.

Really? I always got the impression that the entire Balarian thing was filmed after the fact and spliced in, as a desperate attempt to add sex appeal and pad the runtime. It would explain their total disconnectedness from the entire rest of the plot...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I had to watch it a few times but I've actually come to like The Final Sacrifice. It's got a certain charm to it.

My go-to example of "yes, it's terrible, but you can't help but like it" is Prince of Space. It's just so endearingly goofy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gavok posted:

Mail. I got the t-shirt and a bunch of postcards today.

Sorry for jumping the gun. Figured more people would be getting it around the same time.

It's kind of a spread-out process, I think. Mine arrived last week.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with RP1 and I never understood the following it got.

Eh, it's certainly not great literature but I still thought it was fun. And I was kind of proud of myself for figuring out one or two of the puzzles before the protagonist did.

Apparently they're working on a movie version, which will inevitably suck beyond all comprehension. (Might be a good target for riffing someday...)

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 12, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Emotions are for ethnic people!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I didn't realize the MST3K Channel on Youtube had episodes available officially, so I've been tearing through some of these for the first time. Holy gently caress, Mitchell was one of the funniest things I've seen in a very long time, and I went ahead and bought one of the DVD sets that had it.

I'm having a bit of trouble identifying a short I saw a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure it was about a girl (maybe a couple) who goes to college, and the one joke I remember very fondly is a long boring shot of her walking across the quad and Crow yelling "Suddenly, a lone gunman!" Any idea?

The Home Economics Story!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

RaspberryCommie posted:

Are they still sending out backer rewards?

Cause I still haven't received my Info Club membership card.

Same boat here. I've gotten my T-shirt and postcards but that's it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Kickstarter backers, check your email. [redacted]

So much for Joel's "but please don't post this publicly on the internet"...

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Timby posted:

What the hell was leaked?

They ended up with extras of a certain kickstarter reward. Joel sent out the purchase links in a kickstarter update, but said it was "just for backers" and requested that we "keep this to friends and family for now".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Over in the spaceflight thread, some new images of the moons of Saturn have come in from the Cassini space probe, resulting in some fun photoshops...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Just based on information that's already been released, I can say that the old bots are sticking around, but there is at least one additional new bot that's been designed. That new bot was never meant to replace the old ones though, and I don't think it's ever been confirmed whether it even made it into the series or not.

I wasn't at a screening or anything, so I can safely run my mouth off about the bots without any danger of accidentally revealing too much. But we know that Servo and Crow are coming back with new voices. Here's a short comedy piece of them auditioning for the role of droids in Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FsXqidZgG4

There is, as Diabolik900 said, at least one other robot that they prototyped, but who knows when or if it'll show up. I doubt it'd be a major character on the level of Crow or Servo. It kind of looks like Crow's distant cousin:

See this (public) kickstarter update for more on the new bot: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1488469

Cambot is also confirmed as coming back, with yet another new design. I'd include a picture, but it's in a backers-only update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1569676

I don't recall hearing anything at all about Gypsy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Is it odd that the main thing I wanna know is how the theme song sounds?

The only clue we have is a couple of panels from a storyboard, from a year back:

I'd wager they aren't changing things too much. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Patton Oswalt was born to have Frank hair.

Gypsy has changed a little. Did she lose weight?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

someone who ... absolutely hates MST3K.

:sever:

As for other viewing options, if you backed the kickstarter to the tune of 85 bucks or more, you get to download the entire season. So if you know someone in the area who threw a silly amount of money at our favorite puppet show, you have seven weeks to goad them into hosting fourteen viewing parties (or a single, rather long party).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

I know, I know. I was thinking of characters who never made it into the theater and riffed. Besides random characters. I can't think of anyone one time characters who made it into the theater except Timmy.

If we're going by character instead of actor, there's always Eddie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

Good point. Did Joel make Cambot or was he created by Forrester to monitor Joel and the experiments? I know the song implies that Joel mad the bots but still. I've got a lot of facts I want answered right now.

Joel briefly discusses this in Kickstarter Update #30, "The Return of... Cambot!" It's a backers-only update so I won't quote it, but it's just a couple of sentences in which he muses that Cambot probably works for the Mads.

e: ^^^ :argh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Well, The Starfighters is an extremely unwatchable film, even with the crew riffing on it. It's oppressively boring.

The recital by the United Servo Academy Men's Chorus, directed by United Servo Academy Men's Choral Director, Vice-Brigadier Sir Thomas "Bullhead" Servo, performing the United Servo Academy Men's Chorus Hymn, makes up for any failings the experiment may have. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ree220FiOEg

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gavok posted:

Best post/avatar combo in forever.

I'm currently working on an article about the landmark episodes of the show. Talking about all the ones with some kind of historical value. First appearances, characters leaving, series finales, etc.

At the end of it, I want to briefly go over the novelty episodes as an aside. Stuff where there's some kind of unique gimmick to it all, presumably with who's riffing in the theater. Off the top of my head:

- Timmy
- Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank
- Pearl
- Gypsy
- Eddie Nelson
- Puppet Mike

Any other ones come to mind?

Giant Tom Servo!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

There was another bee movie in the 70s that ended with someone driving a VW Beetle covered with bees into the Astrodome. There, they lowered the temperature low enough to calm the bees down.

Anybody remember this one?

The Savage Bees!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075166/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's the one.

I remember when the Beetle was in the Astrodome, they would show the temperature on the scoreboard.

That's about all I remember.

That's all I remember of it too. :) I recall absolutely nothing about the plot leading up to it. But the bug and the bees in the Superdome seems really memorable for some reason.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

From the update:

Joel posted:

Then, on SUNDAY, APRIL 8th

:raise:

But seriously, this is all kinds of awesome. I'd been wondering how they were going to navigate the netflix vs. downloads thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

remusclaw posted:

Supreme or Deluxe, and which wine goes best with each?

Red wine for Joel, blue wine for Mike.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TL posted:

I might not have loved his choices for what he did with the MST3K brand, but I respect and admire him for using a personal tragedy as the impetus to do some good in the world. Good for him.

I just wish we'd have gotten some warning that the old mst3k.com store that he ran for so many years was about to vanish with the buyout. I missed my chance to get a You Know You Want Me, Baby T-shirt. I thought they'd always be there. :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

There's about eight hours left in this year's Rifftrax kickstarter. Like Rifftrax shorts? Toss them one dollar in the kickstarter, you'll get ten of them, plus some extra goodies. I think a short is easily a dime's worth of entertainment.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-live-17-samurai-cop-beach-party-and-myste?ref=nav_search

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Anyway, The Horrors of Spider Island is a tough movie to get through. It took me about four tries to get through it.

The one that's always bothered me about that is that two of the host segments are clearly in the wrong order. Like, the one where Mike is caught in the giant web references something that hasn't even happened in the movie yet.

...I should really just relax, shouldn't I?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ringu0 posted:

So, even though Joel did not confirm it directly, I guess they're going for a certain format rather than irregular length.

Suddenly I'm wondering if there'll someday be an afterlife for netflix/amazon originals: in reruns on basic cable and/or local UHF stations. If a show is already in the correct format, with pre-made slots for commercials and everything, it'd make that a lot easier. (I know their whole business model is to beat TV at its own game, but hey, you never know.)

(As an aside, are "UHF" stations even in the UHF band anymore? It's just occurred to me I have no idea what the actual frequencies are that digital TV uses.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

raditts posted:

I'd never seen Pod People before, so when I watched it the other day, at first I thought maybe I picked the wrong episode and thought it was Pod People, or that Netflix had mislabeled the episode or something, seeing as the movie has no pods, let alone pod people. But then I remembered that's not at all unusual for the caliber of movies on MST3K.

Also, most movies that were given the Film Ventures International treatment got a new title along with the new credits. Sometimes the new title had as little to do with the movie as the new credits did.

The wiki has more detail than you'd ever want: http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Film_Ventures_International

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Okay folks, it's less than six hours until :siren:MOVIE SIGN:siren: for the kickstarter backers, but there's still another week until it goes up on Netflix for everyone else. I quote from the TVIV Rules:

OldSenileGuy posted:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

Since tomorrow's backer-only early preview of the pilot is indeed a preview, I think this thread is going to get a lot of use out of the spoiler tags for the next week...

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 9, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Love it love it love it. I've scrolled back and played the theme song like ten times now. :haw:

The only things I can think to nitpick are the tiny things that have already been brought up -- Needs more time spent with the Mads, the host segments seemed a little rushed, I have no idea what was the deal with Gypsy dropping off and picking up the thing. Overall, I think they nailed the goofy handmade tone perfectly.

And I burst out laughing very early, at "Nobody calls him that! His name is Max."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

So I heard the backers got their copies of the season. How are they?

So far all we have is streaming access to the first episode. And it's good. See the past couple of pages of discussion. :)