Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Command Ant posted:

I've always felt that the Girl in Lover's Lane is an underrated episode, so I was glad to see it in this year's lineup.

e: also season 12 :dance:

If I could get Mr Boods just to veg out one day, like some sleety day over the Christmas break, that is an excellent line up. I love Big Stupid, plus he's keen on the weird, surreal films like The Day the Earth Froze (he'd watch them unMST3K'd).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I've been pronouncing it 'bew - lee' which is how it's pronounced over here.

I've also just bought 'The Crawling Eye' off Rifftrax so I can pair it up with a 'Diabolik' double feature.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Rance Howard has died

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/25/entertainment/rance-howard-father-of-ron-obit/index.html

if you want to fire up your copy of Village of the Giants in tribute.

I love the Beau Brummels, so this film is in my Top Ten. And yes, everyone in the Beau Brummels looks like a cut-rate someone else (Al Pacino, Keanu Reeves, a giant duck, &c).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

TL posted:

Mitchell! John Saxon has his tree up.

Yeah, for a bad guy, he's getting a lot of presents.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Abe Lincoln IS Timecop

The entire special effects scene make me choke from laughing about the same way the increasingly dire gastic noises from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank do...I think a big part of it is Trace Beaulieu completely loses it during those scenes, but the 'you'll turn into toys!' riff is what usually finishes me off.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I just watched Danger Death Ray and holy cow that last watch shot. There's bad editing, and then there's when you just don't care.

Non-MST3K version, with what the scene really looks like when properly edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFEhUKhN6g (go to the last minute, unless you want to look at the whole thing -- and why not. bup bup bup bah dah dah).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The fat man and his gurgling (channels by the bots) :circlefap:

Never, ever fails to leave me helpless.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

The answer my friend is blow it out your rear end.

Oh, he's a made for TV hippie.

(The 'blow it out your arse' riff never, ever fails to catch me off guard and make me laugh like a lunatic.)

The entire sequence of $1.59 special effects in Danger: Death Ray is also right up there in my favourite riffing section. The 'don't go up there, you'll turn into toys!' usually finishes me off.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Simplex posted:

I'm going with Marv, because that movie actually made me mad the first time I watched it. Jimmy did a bunch of dumb poo poo to impress a girl who at least returned the affection. What is Marv's excuse?

He gets involved with a con-man who dabbles as a carrot in his spare time.

(Mr Boods was watching the infamous 'The Great Vegetable Rebellion' Lost in Space episode the other night, and the amazing Stanley Adams shows up as the veg in question).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I'm not allowed to watch M*A*S*H* reruns with Mr Boods anymore as the actress who plays Mrs Ted Nelson also has a recurring role on the series as a nurse.

This exchange:

“Who knows about it?”
Just me and half a nurse.

always, always catches me off-guard.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

:stonk:

She was the nurse BJ boned.

Yep, and that episode ran fairly recently, and, yep, I said

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"I had my breasts lowered and my hips pulled out at odd angles, I hope that's okay."

at an appropriate moment.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So, how's YOUR body coming along? :v:

Oh, it's alive, well, and of normal size, some 8000 miles away in a lifeboat.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

So many shorts slay me, but I love the one with Ben Franklin teaching the little boy about saving money and planning a budget.

I like to say, at every opportunity, '[Ben Franklin] was the best President we ever had!'

[Lame humour helped by living in Britain. Lame humour may not be available in your area]

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

TL posted:

I’m some gal!

I'm some patent papers. I'd post more, but currently I'm at a slight angle.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I've been on holiday for the past couple of days, away from exam-marking madness, and so of course after the first day I ended up with a stinking cold (:mad: tinned Eurostar air :mad:)

So what i'm saying is, if you have to spend an evening in Paris tucked up miserable in bed nursing a cold and need some MST3K brain candy comfort, 'Final Sacrifice' should be on the menu. :france: (well, of course, :canada: but it's as close as I could get!)

I must have seen this one 30x and it still never fails to make me laugh (ditto Clonus, which I watched last night).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Narsham posted:

Paris: The Clonus Horror?

I was back in London for 'Parts' so it was more like 'Paddington: The Clonus Horror.'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

All of the 'bad teens' films are amongst my faves -- High School Big Shot and Teenaged Crimewave also being highlights.

Crimewave especially interests me, because the actress playing Terry (whom no one will ever touch, being dirt) is exactly the same age as my mum (likewise as Jimmy's character in Accuse is roughly my dad's age at the time the film was made) -- it's more the fashions and music that make me realise that my parents were once teens and stuff. :)

Plus my mom loved goofy films like them as a kid herself, and probably saw a number of the older MST3K ones in the cinema originally!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

So Ray Davies got him in the end?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Myself plan to spend the evening with a grizzled old prospector.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

As someone who lives in Alaska, I feel your pain. Nothing ever seems to come up here, so unless I want to fly down to the lower 48 I'm hosed.

:( :hf: :(

Try being a fan who's been along for the whole 30 year ride (I was living in Mlps when they started the show on KTMA), but now lives in the UK :( (Actually, I'm not sad I live in the UK, and of course can see episodes through Netflix and that -- plus it's fun introducing baffled British people to it :clint:)

Ah well! Everyone who can, enjoy it so I can, vicariously :unsmith:

Who knows -- Rifftrax did a show over here, so maybe one of these days MST3K will do, too (and plenty of goofy British movies for them to riff! God, how I love Devil Doll and the Projected Man).

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 5, 2018

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

TL posted:

I one have one question, then:

The dog’s meat, have you seen it?

Of course I have -- he'll only take it from me.

:j:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Wait, how could it be "the not too distant future" if they went back in time to Rome for that one season? Also, how do they eat?

It's just a show...you should really just relax.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

So I stumbled across an old episode I don't think I'd ever seen before, San Francisco International. It's pretty hilarious. While no doubt running an airport is a big job, Parnell Roberts elevates it to impossibly smug levels. I wish they'd gotten to do more of these kludged together 70s TV movies. (There's the Master Ninjas and Riding With Death. Am I forgetting any?)

I love San Francisco International. One of the highlights of my life was flying into the actual airport a few years back. We had a safe landing because there were no mushy wheels on my plane.

Sadly, I failed to find any vending machines that sold diet gum, and I certainly didn't meet any made-for-TV hippies.

'The answer my friend, is blow it out your arse' never, ever fails to catch me off guard or to make me laugh (it's up there with the increasingly gastic 'fat man' sound effects from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

I should give it another watch if only to honour the recently departed Tab Hunter :patriot:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

brocked posted:

My job my way!

Ooooh, there's a dense smug rolling in.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's the Senate like above, but you must understand that Robert Parnell has the most important job in the world and possibly scaring people into heart conditions is worth it.

Mike and the Bots' hilarious punching down of the kid whose parents are getting a divorce so he steals a plane is one of the funniest things I've come across in a while.

:eng101: Pernell Roberts. Source: Having to watch Bonanza every week as a kid.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of SFI, the actor who played the fake priest, Tab Hunter, passed away recently.

Ms Boods posted:

I love San Francisco International. One of the highlights of my life was flying into the actual airport a few years back. We had a safe landing because there were no mushy wheels on my plane.

Sadly, I failed to find any vending machines that sold diet gum, and I certainly didn't meet any made-for-TV hippies.

'The answer my friend, is blow it out your arse' never, ever fails to catch me off guard or to make me laugh (it's up there with the increasingly gastic 'fat man' sound effects from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

I should give it another watch if only to honour the recently departed Tab Hunter :patriot:

Ahem.

[Crow: laughs like the Riddler]

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I would be Mike, right down to being a goofy blond Midwestern guy who sported hockey hair during his youthful days in the late 80s.

Dude.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

How did I not know RiffTrax did a film by the Time Chasers people that's a super-spy thriller (air quotes as needed) called Pressure Point? Oh, my.

Rifftrax have several films by this director (David Giancola)! There's also Radical Jack and Icebreaker.

The best part of Pressure Point for me was when, during one of the driving/traveling scenes, I realised they were driving around Wilmington, DE, exactly on one of my old city-commute routes (me: 'Um, that looks exactly like the railway station on MLK Boulevard...huh, cos it is.')

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

It is impressively of New England in all respects.

That's what caused my 'bwuh?' moment, since his work is usually so relentlessly Vermonter, then suddenly they're in Delaware (which is decidely not New England.) Maybe they got a bit of bonus budget :v:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I think I may be a horrible person, because as soon as I saw the headline, my first thought was "Davey, noooooo!"

:smith::hf::smith:

Although I was thinking more of Pernell Roberts taking those suits for a ride to scare them into submission.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't follow you, my friend. No way. :colbert:

The answer, my friend, is blow it out your arse.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god i wish flying out of SFO was as entertaining or nicotine stain yellow-brown as it is in that movie

Tell me about it -- they don't even sell diet gum any more.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Another favorite is I Accuse My Parents, although there it's the parents fault. Except it's not because Jimmy is a compulsive liar and winds up with mob ties, like you do.

Basically 50s and 60s morality plays are my jam.

I Accuse My Parents is awesome because it's a 1940s morality play -- made in 1944. Jimmy is [supposed to be] just about the same age my dad was when the film was made. I've got photos of him wearing similar clothes, but sadly, he didn't end up with mob ties because his parents gave him lots of money (in 1944 he ended up in the Mediterranean on a supply ship).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Did he at least meet a cherubic short order cook who put him back on the right path?

Ah, the stories he could tell.

And my mum's nickname was Shorty.

:chef:

And now Thom McAn and the Payless Orchestra, with Cole Haan on the saxophone, then the Naturalizers will sing something by Johnston & Murphy.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I like Fun in Balloonland because it's so damned Philadelphia (grew up in northern Delaware in the late late 60s through to the 70s, and all of our local TV was Philly).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Never mind all the coke and voting for Reagan -- before you watch this movie you must paint your muscle car PRUNE COLOUR.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Yay!!! No Thanksgiving day here in the UK, obviously, and I have to lecture all day on that Thursday, but I have the Friday as my research day and a rare no-lecture day on the Monday.

Huzzah!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It’s so odd to me that he’s called Exeter. That’s just a town. It’s like if he were named Cambridge.

I was just in Exeter yesterday on a day trip.

No one tried to ram an ovipositor down my throat and lay their eggs in my chest. :smith:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

There's a few films that showed up on MST3k that I'd already seen as a kid, but the one that sticks out the most is the one I didn't see, because my mother deemed it too scary: The Incredible Melting Man.

I remember ads for it on TV, and the concept simultaneously scared the crap out of me and my nephew (who is three years younger than I am) and inspired a hell of a lot of crazy let's-pretend games. A lot of Saturday afternoons were spent outside playing The Incredible Melting Man and despite having only the vaguest of ideas what the plot was. I've still got a photo somewhere of my 7 or 8 year old nephew 'melting'.

Original trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc6pGJZ8Xd4

I was between 10 and 11 years old at the time, lived in a house that bordered a dark woods, and was scared of the dark (thanks to an rear end in a top hat older brother) -- so that trailer freaked us little kids out.

Watching it now, it's like, 'You chose THOSE clips of Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Nelson. to highlight your film? Where he's shouting to be heard over the cheese rendering machines?'

Nelson, Nelson

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Hmmm...if you're going to repeat a speech so much, it needs to have lots of things in it. Chicken. Corn. Green peppers. Chili.

:sigh:

onions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Lloyd Bridges and Beau Bridges are the only father and son to both have appeared in movies featured on MST3K: Lloyd in "Rocketship X-M" and Beau in "Valley of the Giants".

Ron Howard and his dad Rance appear in Village of the Giants -- also starring the Beau Brummels (who were loving everywhere for about 15 minutes in 1965...I admit it, I have all of their records :v:)