Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

oh god that would imply that Jonah's Crow could be a disguised Timmy :ohdear:

Not necessarily, it could have been the extra Crow who was left working in the cheese factory in 1980s Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I've been on holiday for the past couple of days, away from exam-marking madness, and so of course after the first day I ended up with a stinking cold (:mad: tinned Eurostar air :mad:)

So what i'm saying is, if you have to spend an evening in Paris tucked up miserable in bed nursing a cold and need some MST3K brain candy comfort, 'Final Sacrifice' should be on the menu. :france: (well, of course, :canada: but it's as close as I could get!)

I must have seen this one 30x and it still never fails to make me laugh (ditto Clonus, which I watched last night).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't watched Parts: the Clonus Horror in a while and forgot how goddamn good it is

"This isn't sanctioned!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I should clarify that those glaring moments aren’t Mike literally stumping for Trump or calling someone a snowflake or anything remotely like that. They’re just little moments where he’ll laugh at or make a joke about something particular and you can pretty easily infer what his actual thoughts on it are. The only thing he gets really blunt about is the RP1 main character’s two-page thoughts on religion.

makes sense, remember that mike is technically a goon

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

I've been on holiday for the past couple of days, away from exam-marking madness, and so of course after the first day I ended up with a stinking cold (:mad: tinned Eurostar air :mad:)

So what i'm saying is, if you have to spend an evening in Paris tucked up miserable in bed nursing a cold and need some MST3K brain candy comfort, 'Final Sacrifice' should be on the menu. :france: (well, of course, :canada: but it's as close as I could get!)

I must have seen this one 30x and it still never fails to make me laugh (ditto Clonus, which I watched last night).

Paris: The Clonus Horror?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Narsham posted:

Paris: The Clonus Horror?

I was back in London for 'Parts' so it was more like 'Paddington: The Clonus Horror.'

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Breadallelogram posted:

Also Mike does a podcast about christianity with a pastor from his church if you really want to get into the guy's head before you make more posts about him

Unironically interested in this tbh, thank you. I can Google it later, but if you have a link that'd be cool.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Unironically interested in this tbh, thank you. I can Google it later, but if you have a link that'd be cool.

https://liketreeswalkingpod.com/

I haven't listened to it but they mentioned it on 372 Pages a couple times and did a joint live show in Minneapolis last month.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

https://liketreeswalkingpod.com/

I haven't listened to it but they mentioned it on 372 Pages a couple times and did a joint live show in Minneapolis last month.

I'm actually enjoying this so far. Both hosts keep the conversation light and neither come across as more extreme religious types at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mike seems like the kind of guy who goes "yeah yeah sure I believe in the magic sky wizard" but doesn't, you know, actually care or think about it much.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Again, he has a podcast discussing philosophy and religion with a pastor at his church that he attends regularly

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Breadallelogram posted:

Again, he has a podcast discussing philosophy and religion with a pastor at his church that he attends regularly

Lots of Christians are spiritual/philosophical without believing that God is an angry wizard though, is my point.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You're right, they believe he is God. It's not that weird of a concept, most people are religious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sash! posted:

Also without Brain Guy, we wouldn't have had "This is what Brain Guy looked like in high school" when this fellow shows up

It makes me giggle

Plus the great gag when Rifftrax watches The Night Dracula Saved the World. A zombie guy walks out looking completely like Brain Guy and everyone watching is confused.

"...I'm in this?"

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I used to have this whole narrative in my head about how Joel was like the progressive hippie guy and Mike was this right-wing conservative and that's why Joel had to leave the show halfway through, because Mike got along better with Jim Mallon the arch capitalist.

I don't think any of that is true or based in reality in retrospect. My brain just filled in the blanks to match whatever I was thinking politically at the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Reince Penis posted:

I used to have this whole narrative in my head about how Joel was like the progressive hippie guy and Mike was this right-wing conservative and that's why Joel had to leave the show halfway through, because Mike got along better with Jim Mallon the arch capitalist.

I don't think any of that is true or based in reality in retrospect. My brain just filled in the blanks to match whatever I was thinking politically at the time.

Jim Mallon was just a greedy scumbag. Mike hated him as much as anyone, I’m sure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They should get Mike for a cameo next season

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

Jim Mallon was just a greedy scumbag. Mike hated him as much as anyone, I’m sure.

For sure man. I'm just saying people should be careful about what they think they know about these guys, because it's probably wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hello, thread, I would just like to say, right now, that I really love the television show Mystery Science Theater 3000, and I am happy that it came back and has another season.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Jim Mallon may have been a prick, but I have to say: he suffered a horrible loss and is doing good work now. I’m more sympathetic to him now than I was previously.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PostNouveau posted:

They should get Mike for a cameo next season

I want this as well, but I understand why he's staying away for now. It lets Jonah make his mark without being overshadowed by Mike and Joel (I don't really count the Joel cameo since he's playing a different character), and it lets Mike focus on Rifftrax. He's clearly supportive of it, and I'm sure he'll cameo one day, but I wouldn't expect it this season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

Jim Mallon may have been a prick, but I have to say: he suffered a horrible loss and is doing good work now. I’m more sympathetic to him now than I was previously.

And the thing is, people change so rarely, even the face of enormous tragedy, but he did. He experienced something nobody should ever have to go through, left behind all of his destructive greed, and devoted himself entirely to helping people go though what he did. Seeing a real redemption story instead of a managed attempt to rehabilitate an image is actually kind of uplifting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I hope we get a segment with Patton and Felicia in the theater this season.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Joel said he would've liked Bridget to take over as host, and she's just as religious as Mike

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mantis42 posted:

You're right, they believe he is God. It's not that weird of a concept, most people are religious.

I'm Christian and I believe the "God" mentioned in the Old Testament is actually Satan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So folks, what about those cheesy movies? You know, worst they could find?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Joel said he would've liked Bridget to take over as host, and she's just as religious as Mike

I think bringing in a totally new generation was a real good call in the end.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I’d also love a female host when Jonah leaves, which hopefully won’t be for another 3 or 4 seasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

I’d also love a female host when Jonah leaves, which hopefully won’t be for another 3 or 4 seasons.

Melissa Villasenor has the right awkward energy and a bag full of useful impressions.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 18, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Watching Future War right now, and when Crow talks about the "Bong Bong" music, Mike says "I wish I had a huge Bong Bong right now"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I think bringing in a totally new generation was a real good call in the end.

TL posted:

Yeah, new blood is good. I hope Jonah sticks around for awhile and then it would be cool to have a woman in the host role.

PostNouveau posted:

Melissa Villasenor has the right awkward energy and a bag full of useful impressions.

She's a little bit higher profile than I'd like. It'd be great if they could pluck someone right out of Second City like they did with Rebecca Hanson. Hell, I can think of a lot of people who would be good just from Improv Boston, and some of them have worked extensively with puppets.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

So folks, what about those cheesy movies? You know, worst they could find?

I will say, I have sat and watched them all, but no one monitored my mind.:saddowns:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kate Micucci would be good, and she's already written for the show

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Davros1 posted:

I love Mike, but boy I really want to see this alternate universe.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Burkion posted:

One interesting effect that happens from this

When Mike gets angry at a movie, that's nothing special.

When JOEL gets angry at a movie, that sticks out

....DO SOMETHING!!! GAH!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tom Guycot posted:

I love Mike, but boy I really want to see this alternate universe.

galaxy brain host: beez mckeever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZvTPSMQ5so

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I will say, I have sat and watched them all, but no one monitored my mind.:saddowns:

Haha. *putting away clipboard* True, true. Nobody was monitoring you. *stuffing notebook into the couch cushions* You weren't at all part of a bizarre meta-experiment, that would be absurd. *clicking a few rows on an abacus* It's just a show, you should really just relax. :mrapig:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Now keep in mind I could control when the movies began or ended. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm going through 327pages and in it, unless this is a joke that is so half-baked it didn't even register as a joke, Mike claims to have never watched War Games

That's doing my head in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I Accuse My Parents has to be at least a top 10 episode for me. God this is just fuckin funny the whole way through.