Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All in, ground floor, let the riffing begin.

I really hope we get a good giant monster movie this season. Nothing's quite as good as MST3K roasting a giant monster film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It Conquered The World has a really good set up, a really good cast and actors, and a really lovely alien

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I only realize in retrospect that the later season's Japanese fare was usually pretty racist, especially Neptune Men. Prince of Space wasn't as bad with it, but it had it's moments of bottom of the barrel racial Japanese stereotype comments.

To be slightly fair to the Riffing

gently caress Neptune Men. It shamelessly used WWII footage where people undoubtedly died for cheap stock footage.

Neptune Men deserves all hate it gets. You don't bring out the Hitler Building and get away with that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

Has there been any talk or news articles on these roadblocks?
As would love to read on why lovely movies are being blocked, who are the assholes blocking them.

Well for the Godzilla movies

Toho

Toho

Aaaaaand Toho.

Also there's like, this one lady who owns

Five of the movies I think?

And she won't ever let them be used by MST3K ever again. There's a specific name for them but I don't know what it was. I think It Conquered the World was one of them?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say Godzilla VS Megalon but

Well

That didn't work out so well

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One Got Fat is a national treasure of riffability and deserves to be on MST3K

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TL posted:

Joe Don Baker is actually a terrific actor.

The sad thing about Joe Don Baker is that yeah, he is. He is a fantastic actor

Which means when he's playing a slobby, stupid, ugly, moron of a cop

HE REALLY sells that role

If he didn't have his little feud after Mitchel the riffing in Final Justice wouldn't have been quite so cutthroat though, so hey

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's kind of funny is Tom made a joke about becoming black or something to that effect in season 3.

He got his wish!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't want to say anything for fear of this miracle being a lie but

If this really, REALLY is true and I hope to God it is because this sounds like a perfect MST3K season

I cannot wait even more than ever before. This is beautiful and I love every second of it. I also may have seen most of this list by myself, so getting to see them riffed is going to be a treat.

I cannot express how happy these movies make me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I adore Zaat!, mostly because I saw it first without riffing.

Zaat! is the most peculiar movie to just randomly find on late night TV. I think the riffing actually takes away a lot of the weirdness of the film, because it cuts down on how much of the movie is a crazy fishman scientist talking to himself while stalking people.

Just the most surreal thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have never been able to decide which is funnier.

Sea Monster is an inherently better MOVIE than Megalon, which makes it easier to watch

But Megalon is a much worse movie which makes the riffing even better. Plus the popcorn sketch, Jesus Christ I don't think they ever surpassed that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It Conquered The World is an okay Body Snatchers plot with an amazingly awful alien menace and genuinely extremely good to amazing actors who give every line of dialogue more credit than it could ever deserve

Just seriously, Peter, Beverly and Cleef give that movie a soul

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got into MST3K because of the Godzilla reviews, though I never got to see those until much later. I had read and heard about them, and being a huge Godzilla fan it got me to look into the show as it was airing on SciFi.

I also got into MST3K style riffing on terrible fanfiction back in the day, when I had naught but dial up and those were easy to find and pass the time with.

So many lovely anime fanfiction, so many

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joel and his era was particularly great about pointing out poo poo like that. See Jungle Goddess

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And two of those are Toho who are super obsessive about protecting their IP so you know

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXibTZcUDUQ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BigRed0427 posted:

Joel does have a point. Monster a Go-Go is a worse movie

Manos is an admirable movie considering the conditions they went through to make the drat thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are they just the host segments? Or full episodes?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god this is bliss this is wonderful I love everything about this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched through an unreasonable number of the KTMA episodes that were available

Nothing makes season 1 better and funnier than watching a single KTMA episode.

I still cannot wait to watch these because loving christ these are history I love it so much

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seconding It Conquered The World

Gorgo is okay for a giant monster movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Married with Children?

Yes please

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

He founded Channel 101, which was basically a sketch comedy factory.

The old MST3K was full of them just pointing out that a background extra looks like Sally Jesse Raphael or something like that. I mean, I know people are gonna bitch up a storm if they do a joke about someone looking like Kanye West and say it's the laziest thing ever and totally ruined the series, but they're just kidding themselves about how the old show was above that.

I am eagerly awaiting the show to start making fun of privileged white men, and stupid geeks to froth at the mouth about how they've clearly sold out to the SJWscum and how this isn't real MST3K anymore.

Mostly because that means they never watched Catching Danger and that invalidates any claim they have of being a fan

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Kaiju posted:

Do you mean Catching Trouble, the animal abuse short?

I may have briefly fused that and Shaking Hands with Danger yes

Not going to lie, Catching Trouble would be way, waaaaaaay better if that stupid little music riff played every time an animal was abused

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
But

Does

It Stink?!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've waited the better part of near on two decades for this.

I can wait a while yet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It took me a moment to realize it, but she's hanging from the ceiling

That's really cool

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but there's a huge difference between being a comic and being a television personality. Joel had some adjusting to do when actually making the show

Part of that was helped though, again over Mike, by having KTMA be a super long experiment period.

Mike meanwhile just got shoved into a stupid brain movie and went from there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've got to seriously step up my watchathon.

I stalled out in season 4 thanks to IRL nonsense and it's been a bitch getting it started again. Going to have to kick it into gear to work through everything before April

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the Godzilla movies were infinitely better films than either Prince of Space or Invasion of the Neptune Men

Especially Invasion

ESPECIALLY

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not sure we need a backstory that can't just be covered in the opening theme.

It's not like it's the first time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wasn't the major issue with Ring of Terror that the film was absurdly short and that's why they had to cram in a second short at the end to pump up the running time?

It's weird they put it at the end since there was a previous episode with a super short movie where they just had two shorts back to back at the start.

Are Neptune Men and Prince of Space related to each other, like as a sequel or whatever, or are they just weird semi-remakes of each other? They're like the same drat movie.

Not at all.

Prince of Space is much older, from 1958, and was actually a TV series, Planet Prince. WHen that proved successful, Toei made two movies based on it, which Sandy Frank grabbed to make this wonderful piece of art.

Invasion of the Neptune Men is an actual honest to God movie from 1961 and was as it appears.

That's why Prince of Space has such a weird pacing problem and a near schizophrenic plot- it is literally two different short movies chopped up and edited together.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I have the strangest feeling, like I just watched Laserblast for a second time. I don't recall ever seeing it before, and nothing stood out to me while watching it, but afterward everything seems like it was vaguely familiar, like I saw it 10 years ago while ill and half conscious or something.

The question isn't if you've seen Laser Blast before my friend

The question is as simple as it is timeless

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!?!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good movie.

Good visuals, good music, pretty good acting.

Not really a movie for everyone though. Really feel for you if your Lex Luthor is a suave businessman and not a broken nerd.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

The one that's always bothered me about that is that two of the host segments are clearly in the wrong order. Like, the one where Mike is caught in the giant web references something that hasn't even happened in the movie yet.

...I should really just relax, shouldn't I?

I don't know if you noticed, but that would happen ALL THE GODDAMN TIME in the show.

Teenagers from Outer Space, the Willy The Waffle skit which was years before they actually did Springs

Just all the time they did skits out of order with the movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa, lets not get crazy here. The 90's films are Grade-A enjoyable schlock. It's the Millennium films that suck. Megalon too, I've never seen the MST version but I can't imagine how they'd make it watchable.

That does make more sense.

You need to watch the MST3K version right the gently caress now.

They make that abysmal trash so worth watching. REX DART, ESKIMO SPY!

It also has what is definitely my favorite skit they ever did, the popcorn gag. Just seriously, watch it. You won't regret it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

So my uncle passed away, left me all of his old VHS and DVD's we were watching them together for a bit, and I guessed he wanted me to have them. It's unimportant how I go the DVD's though, so there's about 35 MST3K DvD's here, and I'm uploading them all to my PLEX Server as we speak, but uh... Which one do I start with? I love Let's play and poo poo like that, and these are like the proto-let's play as far as I understand? Especially when you consider people trashing old games, well I kind of want to start with the funniest versions of that. Idk, he always talked about it, and we never got around to watching it.

Easiest way to go about this

What's your favorite kind of movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Check out Space Mutiny then.

The whole gist with MST3K is that they take on some seriously bad, but also some times pretty good, B movies and riff on them not unlike a Let's Play, as you mentioned.

They do a wide range of movies, from the 40s to the 90s.

Future War is another good bad one for what you're into especially if you like Terminator rip offs with kick boxing and dinosaur puppets.

From there, just go nuts. Lots of amazing films they've covered beyond the scifi genre as well. The new series is rumored to have Starcrash, which should align with you pretty well too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite moment in Puamaman is when Crow just gives up in anger and disgust and declares "The Aztec Guy" the hero of the film. It's just such a well done well timed little break down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, MST3K is the whole reason he won his lawsuit against The Island

So he should be grateful