Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I knew about the lawsuit, but how does MST3k factor in?

No one would have known about the movie, and thus alerted the director, without the episode.

Its exposure on MST3K is why fans got the director to notice and believe he could take them to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One huge difference is that Mike's era tends to get a lot meaner towards the movies, a lot more vitrol and hate, more often.

With the Joel era, things were a lot more relaxed and easy going.

Crow in the Sci Fi era is written as angry or annoyed all the time, compared to the more lackadaisy Crow of Joel's era.

The thing is though, this is deceptive. Mike and the Bots would be annoyed at movies all the time but there was rarely a moment a real anger or frustration.

When Joel and the bots got angry at a movie, they got ANGRY. And it results in some of the best moments of his era. Holding back on it until it deserves to come out is beautiful. The ending of Gamera is one of those wonderful great moments where Joel just gets fed up with everything and everyone and even takes it out on the Bots, something Mike never could do.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember that many bad jokes about Asians in Joel's era

As in I can't think of any. Early on in the Gamera films they would make fun of silly sounding Asian names, but that was just building up to "Do you think Japanese people make fun of stupid American names?" "Oh certainly."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be slightly fair, the show has always had the tag line of "Keep Circulating the Tapes"

Legal and MST3K are not on the strictest of friendships.

Support the show however you can whenever you can, but don't worry too much about if watching an episode is legal or not because for a good chunk of them, it isn't and will never be again.

We were SUPER lucky to get the Gamera movies released again, but they're now out of print and Shout Factory has made it clear they will likely never get the rights back. That's not even touching the ones like Godzilla or those movies owned by that one woman

Or the KTMA run as a whole.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They certainly make season 1 a lot funnier and better put together.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my God Waverly is what would happen if KTMA Tom and Crow had a baby

I loving love him so much

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Space Travelers might be one of the most boring movies MST3K ever tackled

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's the worst kind of movie I think, for MST3K.

It's just not a lot to work with.

I tried watching it in bed the last three days and kept falling asleep during it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junkie Disease posted:

I could watch a season of just Ultraman

I can make some recommendations

The Ultraman Cosmos movies are *DIRE*

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is it longer or shorter than the first Scifi channel opening

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We'll be fine.

That one is kind of enjoyable just for how absurd it is. Just, yeah, this is STILL going on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Trump jokes are shockingly more relevant than ever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlvbUigsxf8

Just seriously, I think they could tell the future.

Between this and Tom doing an honest to God Rick Roll

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just caught Patton reusing a joke from his standup in the riffs

<:mad:>

(For reference, it's the jokes about Fudgey the Whale, and turning the cake pan)

To be fair

How many times did Joel reuse his stand up jokes?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean there's a very good reason for the change

Gypsy originally was portrayed as a very dumb dragon, bordering on mentally disabled. Which wasn't something Joel was super keen on, so even back then he introduced stuff like her being in charge of actually keeping poo poo running and that's why she acted the way she does- most of her mental faculties are spent doing that. I think there was even a moment where she stopped doing that and had normal, proper voice for a short while.

So yeah there is precedent for her not sounding like Mallon's take on her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's currently on Amazon Prime actually

And sadly no MST3K never touched it.

Hopefully one day though, it and the Giant Claw

I can't believe I get to hope for the future of MST3K

I loving love this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know

When MST3K finally gets to the Giant Claw

They should really remark that it's not as bad as they were expecting all considered

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She absolutely was, yeah. Pretty far along too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

At the Earth's Core is basically a third Peter Cushing Dr. Who movie.

Can't be

Daleks aren't the main characters

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just

MAN

Where the gently caress did they even find Cry Wilderness

Where was that gem hiding

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I find I cannot hate Paul too much

Mostly because he got mauled by a cougar and a pedophile wanted to take a bite out of him the entire goddamn film

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That happens so many goddamn times

I refuse to believe it wasn't on purpose

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who wouldn't like watching old movies

Old movies are great

Also every movie is an old movie after it gets released. Right now there are people who think Twilight is an old movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mine will always be the misheard version where Crow just goes BAT GUANO for no reason

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He realizes that there were contemporary game jokes DURING the original show right?

Like, there was at the least the skit with Frank and the Mario syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQioUdumc8&t=62s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing people seem to forget some how

MST3K could tell the goddamn future. It knew what the internet would be. Pointless arguments, OS bitching, Memes, Rick Rolls and video game humor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah season 1 is not great.

It's hilarious if you come into it after watching KTMA though. reaaally makes it more palatable...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know if Felicia is the reason we got the Zelda Item Get jingle, then LowTax can go stow it because that was hilarious

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

If the show gets picked up again, is there another Joe Don Baker movie the guys could be subjected to? It feels like it should be a rite of passage.

ONly when they're about to change the cast up

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fsif posted:

Just watched the first half of Reptilicus and I'm legitimately shocked that this reboot is as good as it is. I had totally checked out because I was certain an MST3K revival would be a disaster.

Fair to say this season is well received by fans, yeah? Is the rest of the season as good as the first episode so far?

Reptillicus is likely the weakest episode

What I'm trying to say is, buckle in. This season is fantastic and it only gets better from there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Would Robot Jox be TOO good a movie for them to do or

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

the weird thing about BotW is that they occasionally review MST3K movies but don't seem to mention it at all, as though they have no knowledge that MST3K exists. Which I find difficult to believe.

To be fair, they are trying to stand on their own.

If they started making references to teh MST3K episode, it'd likely never end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Me and fellow Goon Seer were worried that the entire movie was going to be a flashback told by that kid at the start

How wrong we were

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't believe he hit the Film Crew. That was great, and put out by Rhino, who were doing the MST3K releases at that time.

I wonder if he tried to stop Cinematic Titanic too.

He'd have to of had the biggest balls in the world to attempt it.

Still, as others have said, I don't feel too comfortable poo poo talking the guy now. He's not a factor anymore and he had some really awful poo poo happen.

If he kicks up a poo poo later on, sure, but for now just leave the guy alone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

With everyone posting the different iterations of the theme song, does anyone have a timeline of the hosts/antagonists? I've never exactly been too clear on that.

It was Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank, and then Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy, right?

But is Pearl Dr. Forrester's mother? And was the switch ever explained?

Pearl is indeed Steve's mom.

She gets introduced while Frank is still around and is sort of Co Villain for season 7. At the end of season 7 Forrester gets turned into a star child and she apparently smothers him in his sleep when he turns out the same as before, then she ends up in the future due to cryogenic-ally freezing herself and becomes ruler of the Apes.

And then time travel gets involved. Kinga is confirmed to be Steve's daughter and Pearl's granddaughter, so that's something.

I like to think her mom is Resussu Annie, that crash test dummy Forrester dated for a time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt they could get the rights, but that one Studio Ghibli film Tales from Earthsea would be perfect to be riffed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

I had only watched a handful of MST3k episodes as a kid and wanted more after watching the revival. The first old one I watched was Time of the Apes. The ending of that movie makes no sense with the cuts they made. (and from reading what was cut online, still doesn't really make sense.) Any must see classic episodes? (I don't care what era of the show they are from.)

If you're a giant monster fan, all of the Godzilla and Gamera episodes are must haves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I genuinely wish I could watch a big budget Hollywood movie that was mostly intended as a serious genre piece that out of nowhere just has a huge monster stomp his way into the movie during like the last fifth.

I guess the closest I can think of is when, halfway through the psychological mystery of The Forgotten, some guy just flies off into the sky in the middle of talking.

I mean, you almost have that with 10 Cloverfield Lane

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM

You know, this is actually incredibly sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adnachiel posted:

I don't really think Super Sentai/Kamen Rider movies would work on MST3K. (Objectionable content, licensing costs, and language aside.) Their biggest problem is they assume that you've watched their respective series and don't go into the background of the basic plot and characters because they assume the only people who are going to care and pay theater prices to see them are fans of the shows and (if they're actually kids) their parents. (Which isn't a good thing to do to begin with, but these movies are designed to sell toys and it works so I doubt they care.) It seems like it would just create a bunch of annoying cheap "Who is THIS guy?! What the gently caress are they talking about?! Where did THAT come from?! OMG EXPLAIN MOVIE!" riffs. That doesn't seem fair to the movie or the viewers.

Yeah, you'd need a movie more like, Kamen Rider the First, or Ultraman the Next. A movie that stands on its own and doesn't tie into the TV series.

They could maybe do something with The First