Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

It Conquered The World has a really good set up, a really good cast and actors, and a really lovely alien

It was also a favorite of Frank Zappa, who dedicates his song Cheapnis" to it. With as many Zappa jokes as MST3k has, I don't think the overlap is coincidental.

Also, I'm happy about the Netflix deal. Since Netflix threw a MST3k joke (with Mike and the bots) in Season 4 of Arrested Development, I always thought that an MST3k deal was happening behind the scenes. It was too perfect to be coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It was Joel and the bots actually.

Well, just Joel and Trace.

Well that makes even more sense, since Joel would have been wheelin'-and-dealin' rights/plans/pitches.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

People working with a budget of pocket change and donuts stolen from the boardroom aren't going to make Indiana Jones.

Can't say I agree...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been hearing a lot more of Baron Vaughn lately on podcasts and live streams, and he's been talking about being in MST3k, but I haven't heard anything from (or really know who) Hampton Yount is...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CaptainYesterday posted:

Did you just read the latest Kickstarter update? Because that's exactly what Joel said today!

Is there any word on if it'll be one major dump of episodes, or if they're going to do the Chelsea Lately thing and put out an episode a week for 14 weeks?

As much as I love binge watching, I kinda like the idea of getting one a week to build the surprise of what will come next. Watching a new MST3k was a Saturday morning ritual for me, sadly cut short by becoming a fan during the last tumultuous season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

That's not acting! That's just him being Joe Don Baker! It doesn't count!

My favorite Joe Don Baker moment is in Cape Fear where he talks about and drinks his dad's favorite beverage: Pepto Bismol and whiskey(?).

I imagine Joe Don Baker drinking this before and after every take, especially for Mitchell.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

He lands a goddamn 747 in the pilot. Pilot episode I mean.

Well he's a Coke guy, but the Wetzel's Pretzels has the best Pepsi. That mall is all Pepsi.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Jonah Ray wears skate shoes. I'm guessing

Jonah is going to tower over everybody on screen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

So how tall is Jonah? Because in the picture Joel included in the Kickstarter email today he towered over everybody. He's like 12 feet tall, right?

6' 5" without shoes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I checked out the list, and love what I see, but I'm avoiding any info/pics/video on the movies until they launch on Netlfix.

Even though I watched Starcrash a few times when it was on Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ted V. Mikels died yesterday, which was surprising, since I thought he's been dead for years.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Werewolf (of course)
Hobgoblins
Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders
Boggy Creek 2
Creeping Terror
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Time Chasers
The Final Sacrifice
Soultaker
Bloodlust

Runner up: Catalina Caper

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Speaking of lists, I've been asked to write about the best MST3K eps to watch around Halloween. As it is right now, here's my preliminary list:

Pod People
Manos
Zombie Nightmare
Samson vs. the Vampire Women
Incredible Melting Man
I Was a Teenage Werewolf
Giant Spider Invasion
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
Devil Doll
Werewolf
Hobgoblins
Touch of Satan

But while I've watched a lot of MST3K, I haven't come even close to seeing all of them. Anyone have any suggestions for the list?

Edit: Also, I've been asked to stray away from giant monster flicks.

The Creeping Terror
Horror at Party Beach
Attack of the Eye Creatures
Attack of the Giant Leeches
Killer Shrews

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

To be fair is it that Halloween-y? Maybe, he does wear a costume.

Do people not like Bloodwaters of Dr Z? I enjoy it but I think I'm in the minority.

Bloodwaters of Dr. Z, Devilfish, and Night of the Blood Beast are all great episodes that I have a hard time watching. I'm never in the mood for them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ha. Night of the BloodBeast might be my favorite MST3k.

I don't think I've seen Devilfish but this seem like I should.

E: Oh, I have seen it but probably not since it aired. I'll check it out again.

I have put on Blood Beast many times from this thread, and I can't help but zone out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CommaToes posted:

I've been watching MST3K with friends recently to build hype for the return of the show, and we've used this thread for suggestions, so thanks for that.

One concern is the sketches - one of my friends absolutely hates them.

I personally find some of Joel's sketches and songs to be the funniest bits of episodes, but I agree that Mike's sketches are rather weak. Is there a good episode where the sketches are all great? Maybe I can convince him that they do add more to the episodes.

This is pretty much my issue with watching it with friends. Even I just tolerate most of the sketches. I don't think that it's a sign of the show's quality, I think it's an inherent issue with most sketch-based comedy: they're hit and miss, and lack longevity.

Off the top of my head, Pod People is a strong skit episode. I have a weird opinion that any episode with a doo-wop song sketch are strong skit episodes: Catalina Caper's Creepy Girl song, Werewolf's girl group song, Creeping Terror's repetitive song sketch, etc. I also prefer the skits to parody or involve the movie, like Werewolf. When they're trying to stick to plots or on-going bits, it gets really rough. I just tell my friends that the skits are what they are, use them for smoke-breaks or bathroom breaks. It's mostly worked, since they like the actual show.

I'm actually most excited about the skits for the new season. I know that the charm of the show is that the skits are pretty lo-fi and low-budget, just like the movies, but they're just kinda ugly. Later seasons moved past the Host & Bots behind the counter for more movement, better designs and more interesting filming, but never really broke into Good or Great. With the talent they have for sets and the kick-rear end writing staff, I'm hoping we get some actually great looking and funny skits.

I was trying to convince my friends to give the show a try before the new season, but one friend who hadn't really watched the show tried to explain the show's plot to his wife to sell it, which was horrific:

"Yeah, see, he's a temp. And these mad scientists kidnap him because they don't like him."
"Well, yeah, sorta. But really that's just for the skits and stuff. The real show is bad movie jokes and riffs."
"See, they put him on a satellite so he can't escape. And he has to watch bad movies. But he's lonely and going crazy, so he invents robots to watch them with him."
"Yeah, but, see, that's the set-up, but it isn't the show."
"And they have to watch the movies and make jokes so they don't go insane."
"No, see, that's maybe a small part of the show. What's really funny about it is the movies, see they--"
"And there's a robot that's a camera that films the whole thing, and a robot that's a pilot."
":suicide:"

And of course they didn't watch it after that.

Last night I showed my girlfriend "Parts: The Clonus Horror", and the skits of Pearl babysitting the kids was pretty bad. However, it's one of the most interesting movies that MST3k has done on its own merits. It reminded me of a bad version of The Lobster, The Island, and 1984.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fezz posted:

If people don't like sketches then start them on Rifftrax and then transition to MST3K.

Why? MST3k has better movies.

Edit: Unless we're talking Rifftrax Live, but that has sketches/bits.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bojack Horseman also got a stand-alone Christmas episode.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?

The first airing of Boggy Creek 2. And I died.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Had a dream last night that since the world was so goddamned depressed following the election, Joel released the first new episode early to cheer everyone up.

It felt good. :)

I really like this.

MST3k is the only thing I can really watch right now. My lizard brain has resorted to only enjoying comfort entertainment.

Last night's episode of Werewolf was exactly what I needed. It was my girlfriend's first time seeing the episode, and it's the most she's laughed at the show yet.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:dance::dance::dance:
It's the Eigh-Tees!
Do a lot of coke and
vote for Ronald Reagan!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

The most annoying character in that movie went on to much success as Cosmo from the Fairly Oddparents and that always blows my mind.

So the most annoying character in a B-Movie became the most annoying character in an annoying cartoon. Where's the surprise?

But seriously, good for him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, It Conquered the World is really only on a bad movie list because the alien is so loving stupid looking.

Well, and because the movie is up its own rear end a bit.

It's entertaining enough for Frank Zappa to have written a song about it.

It's silly that the title is technically a spoiler, except it isn't, because It doesn't.

I really enjoy Catalina Caper, Horror at Party Beach, and Merlin's Mystical Shop on their own terms.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

RIP Mohammad "Tony" Zarindast, director/writer/producer of Werewolf, in which he also played the security guard who becomes a werewolf. He was 82.

:(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

It wasn't until I actually listened close to the movie that I realized that Mandark was in Laserblast.

He's also the annoying puppeteer that holds surveillance in a ferris wheel in Spielberg's 1941.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I put together a bigass guide to watching MST3K the official way. Basically a big list of every episode and where they're legally available.

Strangely, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Prince of Space aren't available anywhere right now.

Did you not include YouTube in that? Because they're both the top results.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how they're approaching (or attempting) an over-arching plot/connection with the episodes, since it's probably going to be launched all at once. I know this was the bane of the writers thanks to the Sci-Fi channel's requests, but they've got some great writers working.

Time Paradox, so you can watch whatever episode whenever? Or keep it linear? Or do a set-up for the first episode and then don't look back?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

I would assume opening theme and no plot, same as the Joel years.

I mean, the episodes are probably gonna have self-contained plots. There wouldn't be a reason for guest writers like Dan Harmon if all they were doing were writing jokes or self-contained sketches.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

The reason to bring in writers like Dan Harmon are:

1- He can write funny stuff
2- He likes the show and wants to have some kind of involvement (which is honestly probably minimal)
3 (probably the biggest reason)- It got them more attention during the Kickstarter

I doubt the show will have plots to any greater extent than it did during the Comedy Central years.

EDIT: Don't forget, the big name writers that were announced as writers during the Kickstarter were specifically referred to as "guest" writers.

Yeah, I get that, but Dan Harmon doesn't really write sketch comedy, and his shtick is pretty much self-aware meta-plots, hence my curiosity. A guest writer getting to write an episode's plot doesn't sound far-fetched to me, even if the show isn't plot-heavy.

I'm not saying they're going to tell the story of Jonah doing a spy mission to kill the Mads, but they've got a strong cast, good writers and creative freedom, what's to stop them?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Paper Kaiju posted:

Do you mean Catching Trouble, the animal abuse short?

Watching it now, and there's an amazingly specific joke about The Bubble Room on Captiva Island, FL. :aaaaa:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Volume V is pretty much the perfect set.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I wasn't at a screening or anything, so I can safely run my mouth off about the bots without any danger of accidentally revealing too much. But we know that Servo and Crow are coming back with new voices. Here's a short comedy piece of them auditioning for the role of droids in Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FsXqidZgG4

There is, as Diabolik900 said, at least one other robot that they prototyped, but who knows when or if it'll show up. I doubt it'd be a major character on the level of Crow or Servo. It kind of looks like Crow's distant cousin:

See this (public) kickstarter update for more on the new bot: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1488469

Cambot is also confirmed as coming back, with yet another new design. I'd include a picture, but it's in a backers-only update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1569676

I don't recall hearing anything at all about Gypsy.

Since they've got Wayne White contributing art and designs to the program, I'm sure we'll be seeing a few different puppets in addition to the regular bots.

That bot looks like a new version of Cambot, though. Didn't Joel say he wants to get Cambot more involved somehow?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
No one wants to break Joel's heart, especially at this point, after involving so many fans in this dream reboot.

I'm dying for details too, but I appreciate the level of discretion.

Just show your friends your favorite episodes. I showed my girlfriend Hobgoblins and The Incredible Melting Man and that was enough to get her excited for the new season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I assume they're (Netflix) going to hold the Christmas special until December, though?

Probably release it on Thanksgiving or a little earlier for Turkey Day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

It took me a moment to realize it, but she's hanging from the ceiling

That's really cool

No joke, this is something that I've always wanted. I always felt like she was designed to hang, not wobbly around.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

I haven't seen it and I also have reservations about him but she should remember that at the reunion he was appearing live as the "new guy" for a beloved show surrounded by the veterans who are responsible for the show being so well loved and did fine.

Yeah, so nervous his voice cracked when he went off script to thank them for being big influences and making one of his favorite shows.

Jonah's great. Can't handle his pot, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

If Joel is "sleepy-eyed inventor" and Mike is "dopey yet acerbic temp", Jonah would be "cool adjunct professor who only shows up to half his classes because he's busy DM'ing a D&D session"

He's a big, lovable nerd and easily the most natural riffer of the three.

Joel and Mike (especially) got started with MST3k. Jonah's been doing stand-up since he was 18, he's already worked on The Meltdown, so he's developed comedic timing and delivery for both live audiences and television shows for his entire career, whereas Joel and Mike "grew up" through MST3k.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I always thought Cambot was a camera that the Mads used to watch Joel, and Joel made him a robot friend and altered him to project the footage to Earth for us to watch along.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

Nonsense, the Creeping Terror is one of the best episodes.

Seriously. I still use some of these jokes regularly, especially "You have a kiiind face."

And Crow singing along with the song "Wah wah wah Wah-Wah!" or Servo singing "Yeah here's my torso".

I think that's why the Mike listening to the song sketch works for me. That drat song plays over and over again, and they throw so many jokes at it that to just sit and listen to it is it's own parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, I think this is the part that excites me the most. MST3k is funny when you only understand half the jokes, so hopefully it's even better when you understand a larger portion of the jokes.

I just feel like there won't be as many Zappa references now.