Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I assume they're (Netflix) going to hold the Christmas special until December, though?

Probably release it on Thanksgiving or a little earlier for Turkey Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Have we even confirmed they're releasing the season all at once? I'd assume so, but you never know with the sci-fi B movie puppet show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
APRIL 14, 2017

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Maybe I'll do my taxes early this year

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DivisionPost posted:

APRIL 14, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

APRIL 14, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So, um. The earlier impressions were not hyperbole.

They really did it, guys. :3:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
To the people who have seen it: How many of you were apprehensive about Jonah Ray? My best friend kinda can't stand him, to the point where she seemed to be seeing red when he and Joel did their bit at the reunion.

I mean the obvious answer is "Yeah, she's probably a lost cause," but that answer depresses me so I'm looking for any glimmer of hope that I can enjoy these new episodes with her.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Packers win the Superbowl!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Wait, hang on....April 14th??? That's Good Friday!

GUYS WE"RE GETTING A LONG WEEKEND TO BINGE WATCH THE NEW SERIES!!!!!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

DivisionPost posted:

To the people who have seen it: How many of you were apprehensive about Jonah Ray? My best friend kinda can't stand him, to the point where she seemed to be seeing red when he and Joel did their bit at the reunion.

I mean the obvious answer is "Yeah, she's probably a lost cause," but that answer depresses me so I'm looking for any glimmer of hope that I can enjoy these new episodes with her.

Tell them to relax

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Patton Oswalt was born to have Frank hair.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Patton and Felicia look like they just came from that room that shrunk Mike Teevee in the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Having a RiffTrax Live (Samurai Cop) the night before MST3K Season 11 hits Netflix is the sweetest timing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gypsy has changed a little. Did she lose weight?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It took me a moment to realize it, but she's hanging from the ceiling

That's really cool

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Servo's arms look too long and it's weirding me out

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

edit: wait nvm thought you said Crow

New Servo is still p. cool regardless of arm length, trust me

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 22, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who's the guy behind Jonah?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

It took me a moment to realize it, but she's hanging from the ceiling

That's really cool

No joke, this is something that I've always wanted. I always felt like she was designed to hang, not wobbly around.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Annnnd I will be staying out in the States from early April through to the 25th with someone who has Netflix, but absolutely hates MST3K.

Still, I have the entire week after I get back home off on leave, as it's the last week of spring break :dance:

Davros1 posted:

The ending was perfect though.

And at last I'll be showing that episode to Mr Boods, who's said he'll subscribe to Netflix specifically for the revival, followed immediately by the first new episode.

:ohdear: that is, if UK Netflix is carrying it...

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Hooray, I'm on a cruise when it drops and I'm not paying the ridiculous fees for shipboard wifi.

I realize this is the definition of a first world problem.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

:ohdear: that is, if UK Netflix is carrying it...

It is. Netflix is confirmed to be carrying the new season in what they consider "the English-speaking territories", which are specifically the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland. I don't think there's any official word on availability for non-backers elsewhere though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ms Boods posted:

someone who ... absolutely hates MST3K.

:sever:

As for other viewing options, if you backed the kickstarter to the tune of 85 bucks or more, you get to download the entire season. So if you know someone in the area who threw a silly amount of money at our favorite puppet show, you have seven weeks to goad them into hosting fourteen viewing parties (or a single, rather long party).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Powered Descent posted:

:sever:

As for other viewing options, if you backed the kickstarter to the tune of 85 bucks or more, you get to download the entire season. So if you know someone in the area who threw a silly amount of money at our favorite puppet show, you have seven weeks to goad them into hosting fourteen viewing parties (or a single, rather long party).

Heh -- I was run off my feet at the time of the kickstarter (and financially compromised at the time) and didn't get a chance to do any proper contribution sadly. No one else I know is into the show.

Yeah, this person is someone I went to grad school with, so she's my age (:corsair: 52), but she's always hated it as too lowbrow and that. Meh. She's a good pal, though -- she's not keen on the whole puppet thing, but likes to trash talk trashy films -- she's got Amazon Prime, so might persuade her to try a Rifftrack.

Diabolik900 posted:

It is. Netflix is confirmed to be carrying the new season in what they consider "the English-speaking territories", which are specifically the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland. I don't think there's any official word on availability for non-backers elsewhere though.

Ah, brilliant. I'll probably avoid this thread between the initial launch and when I can see the episodes because I'd like to go in blind and fresh, if that makes any sense!

Seeing the screenshot above of the launch date sent a happy shiver down my spine. Because Mr Boods has never seen most of the episodes, it doesn't feel as if the show's ever gone away as we've spent the last couple of years watching an episode or so a week as time allows (and we've been doing Rifftrax on Amazon Prime as well), but the launch date really hit home that the last time there was a new MST3K was a completely different life ago for me. I've marked it on my calendar!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Argh, I live in Germany now. Do any of those proxy things still work? Last time I tried one Netflix detected it. I hope they provide some other means of buying/streaming the episodes. :( I'm a lame ol' $1 backer so I'm not entitled to downloads.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DivisionPost posted:

I haven't seen it and I also have reservations about him but she should remember that at the reunion he was appearing live as the "new guy" for a beloved show surrounded by the veterans who are responsible for the show being so well loved and did fine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

I haven't seen it and I also have reservations about him but she should remember that at the reunion he was appearing live as the "new guy" for a beloved show surrounded by the veterans who are responsible for the show being so well loved and did fine.

Yeah, so nervous his voice cracked when he went off script to thank them for being big influences and making one of his favorite shows.

Jonah's great. Can't handle his pot, though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

InfiniteZero posted:

Yeah, she thought he was too "smug" at that show. I don't know what makes her think that way, but I think she's just too tied to the old show (she's ride-or-die for Mike, meh on Joel) to open herself up to a new guy.

Whatever, this isn't a new problem to MST3K. I'm sad I can't enjoy these episodes with her, but I'll enjoy them anyway. Besides, I can't rightfully complain about her hating Jonah when I kinda sorta :siren: HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE!!! :siren:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

If Joel is "sleepy-eyed inventor" and Mike is "dopey yet acerbic temp", Jonah would be "cool adjunct professor who only shows up to half his classes because he's busy DM'ing a D&D session"

He's a big, lovable nerd and easily the most natural riffer of the three.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

If Joel is "sleepy-eyed inventor" and Mike is "dopey yet acerbic temp", Jonah would be "cool adjunct professor who only shows up to half his classes because he's busy DM'ing a D&D session"

He's a big, lovable nerd and easily the most natural riffer of the three.

Joel and Mike (especially) got started with MST3k. Jonah's been doing stand-up since he was 18, he's already worked on The Meltdown, so he's developed comedic timing and delivery for both live audiences and television shows for his entire career, whereas Joel and Mike "grew up" through MST3k.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have no worry about Jonah's ability to riff on MST3k. Plus some level of awkwardness is part of (early) MST3k's charm. He's not going into this without the direction of Joel and many others long associated with the franchise. He's the least part to worry about.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Franchescanado posted:

Joel and Mike (especially) got started with MST3k. Jonah's been doing stand-up since he was 18, he's already worked on The Meltdown, so he's developed comedic timing and delivery for both live audiences and television shows for his entire career, whereas Joel and Mike "grew up" through MST3k.

Joel did stand-up in the early-mid 80s, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Joel was on Saturday Night Live multiple times. He was a prop comic.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah Joel was a successful touring comic that did sets on Letterman, SNL, and other stuff during the huge 80s stand up boom. He almost had his own network sitcom but instead got remarkably disenchanted and burnt out by LA and moved back to Minneapolis.

Mike's last gig was TGI Fridays.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget the TV wheel that had a lot of current standups on it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but there's a huge difference between being a comic and being a television personality. Joel had some adjusting to do when actually making the show

Part of that was helped though, again over Mike, by having KTMA be a super long experiment period.

Mike meanwhile just got shoved into a stupid brain movie and went from there

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to put a kickstarter header image next to this and admire how much better the actual cast looks:

(well, except Jonah. He looks the same)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

[/i]Alien from LA[i/] almost riffs itself. When Kathy Ireland says "Oh my God! It says my father is dead... from falling in a bottomless pit!" in that emotionless, squeaky voice, I had to pause from breaking down laughing.

I dig Hanging Gypsy and the sort of minimalist white look for the Mads. Looking forward to hearing all the new voices when it launches.