Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'd also like to recommend Kevin Murphy's A Year at the Movies, just for his description of kidney stone. Something like: "A radioactive potato from hell in my lower abdomen."

Anyone read Frank's recent books?

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

Tons, my folks seemed determined to make sure I grew into a huge nerd. Bride of the Monster, Robot Monster, Earth vs. the Spider, all the giant monster flicks including Yongary and Gorgo. Light on the horror though, I was still scared of everything.

Failson fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pixeltendo posted:

Hahaha yesss, I can't believe they really are doing .......Mac & me

Eh, it's no Pod People. Oh man, I hope it's the recently-rediscovered cut where wheelchair kid actually gets shot by the police!

I need to rewatch Season 12. Apart from Cry Wilderness, and Circus Magic, I haven't had the desire to revisit anything in particular.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Revisiting The Creeping Terror. The movie is the hottest of garbage but what I really enjoy is the first sketch where Dr. Forrester runs an experiment that shows no matter the person they'll become insufferably pretentious if they hang out in a coffee shop. What makes it really funny on a personal level is the first time a buddy and I saw it we went to a local bookstore right after and sure enough there was a live poetry reading.

"I'm recording my life in pastels!"

Really fun episode. Bad opinion, but Creeping Terror might be my pick for worst MST movie. I can't actually imagine watching that one without riffing. It's bad on so, so many levels.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

And they did it again in Bride of the Monster! "Nooooo advertising!"

Current favorite host segment is the Junior Jester meeting from Magical Voyage of Sinbad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyymDTcSQP4

Also I visited an air museum Saturday. They had an F-104. So I had to watch High School Big Shot when I got home.

... No wait, The Starfighters.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

I'll always love Giant Gila Monster for a lot of reasons, but one specifically is "Boy, alcoholism sure is a hoot!"

Also "Can't a robot admire his own back porch without being thought of as strange?"

"I sing whenever I eat the teens!" Great episode.

No regrets on Starfighters, it's a favorite.

"He has a scorched face policy."

Everything with the Senator father:

"I want his family dead! ...Oh."

Best movie Lockheed ever made.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

~Poopie-suit~

Starfighters is easily one of my favorite episodes. I love the horrible grinders that test their willpower.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Welcome to the Rainbow Gathering! Peace is possible in our life---AAAAAGHHH!" :supaburn:

"If we're ever attacked by a white rectangle, the Air Force has it covered."

"Refueling is a beautiful, natural thing that is nothing to mock."

Oh and the overarching "Crow gets on the information superhighway" bits probably strike a cord with anyone who had a computer in the early 90's. Great stuff.

Being a broken, strange little man, I can't go a day without watching MST3K. Last night I tried to get through The Crawling Hand again. It would have been a great movie for later seasons. I didn't finish it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Season 1 as a whole doesn't get a lot of love. I kinda get why - they hadn't quite got the formula down - but it's generally considered rougher around the edges. Also after 9 years going back to Josh's Tom Servo feels weird. I don't hate it or anything, certainly not enough to print out a giant banner to that effect, but it's slightly jarring. And I think Frank has better chemistry with Trace as the Mads. That said I quite enjoy Untamed Youth and Hercules in Love from season one - they got to do a Mamie Van Doren movie* and a Jayne Mansfield movie but sadly never a Marilyn Monroe flick.

*Maybe two. I think Mamie is in Girls Town.**
**Gigantor!

Trace's "baby" voice for Crow is kinda off too, but I've developed a weird affection for most of season 1.

The host segments are mostly weak, but the riffing is decent.

Untamed Youth is a favorite. Moon Zero Two makes me wish Hammer did more sci-fi. Crawling Hand doesn't do much for me, but it's not actually that bad.

Black Scorpion has some borderline-offensive Mexican jokes that might make it a bad introduction.

Magic Voyage of Sinbad gets my vote for a good introduction to Joel. Boggy Creek for Mike.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Danger! Death Ray and Outlaw of Gor are two episodes that I think would be good introductions for Mike (and are personal favorites). Great riffing and host segments, and movies that are cheesy with lots of material for jokes while still being relatively watchable.

BartFargoBartFargoBartFargoBartFargo!

Cabot? Cabot? Cabot! CABOT!

I detect a pattern here. And yes, both great episodes and intros.

Killer Shrews would be another good one. Great short. Movie is a bit dull, but still watchable.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Underdog pick of Killer Shrews for an introduction. Great short, dumb, but perfectly riffable movie.

Didn't have cable growing up, so my gateway was half of Cave Dwellers, and then half of Pod People on The Mystery Science Theater Hour.

It was confusing, but I was hooked.

On Season 12 - I am kinda worried about the most recent movie picked. That might be a real struggle.

Personal minor disappointment on the Netflix seasons - Lack of Capers, Spies, Teensploitation, or anything black and white.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

And apparently The Pod People's unrelated movie was 'The Galaxy Invader.' Better known as The Swamp Thing versus The Sweet Thing.

Directed by Red Letter Media favorite - Don Dohler. He makes the same movie every few years. Some day, he will get it right.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Here's a fun game: try to picture the movies as the directors were clearly shooting for (and missed spectacularly).

So Future War but it's actually Van Damme and he's fighting Schwarzenegger and JP-quality velociraptors. Or Final Sacrifice only now it's Charles Bronson fist-fighting Tim Curry in a cyclopean ruin.

I want to think that every Burt I. Gordon movie came out exactly as intended. Cheap but charming knockoff of some other, better movie? Yup. Nailed it!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Keromaru5 posted:

I'm pretty sure the 90's Gamera trilogy and Gamera the Brave are already what the 60's movies were trying to be.

I love Gamera the Brave because it takes the "Gamera is a friend to all children" theme of the original series straight to its logical conclusion: Gamera as E.T.

Fantastic movies, that would still be riffable.

My own Turkey Day Gauntlet has become a triple-header: Santa Clause vs. meets the Ice Cream Bunny. Star Wars Holiday Special. Fun in Balloon Land.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Patton Oswalt says not to binge "The Gauntlet"

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1064943787586203649

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just finished Mac and Me, and I'm glad I never saw the whole thing before. MST was the right way to experience it. Very good episode.

All the live performers are great, but I'm still not really digging Vaughn and Yount as the 'bots.

Zesty posted:

Eh. I’m about the same and I can already tell they didn’t learn from the mistakes of last season.

Old MST3K didn’t feel like the characters were omniscient and setting up everything in advance. Jokes start before what’s being shown on screen that supposedly preceded it. Characters cooperate on a bit too quickly. Everything is so rapid fire.

I’m just not feeling it. It’s a little... too artificial.

Sadly, I agree. It's missing the naturalness that comes from a bunch of people working together for a long time, and sitting way too close to a movie screen.

Just from the nature of the new show, I'm not sure that's ever going to return. Especially with different puppeteers and voices for the robots.

They seem to get settled in on the live shows though, so maybe there's still a chance?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Almost through Lords of the Deep. Enjoying it well enough.

I have to echo the complaints that the modulation of the riffs is still too frenetic, though Lords already feels a little more laid back.

Am I just an old misanthrope, or are the riffs kinda toothless? I'm wondering if there's a netflix mandate not to be too mean to any actors/directors/studios that they could possibly work with? Like, I feel like the sci-fi era crew would have shredded Atlantic Rim. Or if the revival crew did Mitchell, it wouldn't be nearly as hard on Joe Don Baker.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wow, I'm an idiot

I just had a decade long :downs: moment when I realized the "Joke By Ignmar Bergman" was a pun. "When you run out of slits (Schlitz)... you are out of pier (beer)"

<Extremely Rich Evans Voice> Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaad. I never got that either.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Finished Lords of the Deep. Had a hard time understanding anything Doctor Phibes was saying. Her introduction was clunky as hell.
Remember when Mike was Valaria as the first Hexfield viewscreen guest in Season 2? It felt like that. So there's always room for improvement.

And got through The Day Time Ended! What a mess, loved the show, even the song.

Wanted to like the bit with Josh showing up, but it just kinda fell flat, and made me sad to be reminded that Frank and Dr. F are officially "dead" in MST3K.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thank you, Goons, for talking me around on the meanness of the riffs. You're right, I wouldn't want it to turn into another angry movie yelling show.

Plus, Rifftrax has the meaner, edgier riffs pretty well covered.

TL posted:

It’s also a show that is very casual about its fiction. If Frank or Trace decide to come back in the future for an appearance, they can easily make them not dead.

Bicyclops posted:

Technically speaking, Crow, Tom & Gypsy shouldn't even be on the Satellite of Love. They can do whatever they want if more of the cast want to do a cameo.

True, it was just a bit of a downer in an otherwise positive episode.

As for the bots, I just assumed they were some of the thousands of copies that were made over the years. SOL was crawling with 'em (like toothpicks).

tao of lmao posted:

I’m still working my way through The Return and Beast of Hollow Mountain was a drat fine episode. Probably my favorite of the new crew so far although the avalanche movie was pretty good too.

I’m so glad there are more new episodes to watch so I don’t feel the need to ration them out to myself anymore.

Beast is a good one!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

He does it in Mitchell and I just lost it the first time I saw it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kUgHsKWJc

In Santa vs Meets the Ice Cream Bunny, they each take a turn.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

That's how I'm head-canon-ing it at the moment.

I hope they actually show Kinga and Max doing a few riffs next season. I liked the mirror-universe Clay and Frank thing and the time when Pearl riffed with the bots.

I've found MST3K is an easy thing to put on in the background during the baby's fussiest "Need all the attention" hours, so I threw on The Crawling Eye last night. I can see why people don't like season 1, but I still like how charmingly goofy things like RAM chips and Dumb Dragon Gypsy, whose puppet is so loud you can't hear what she's saying. It's also fun to watch the way the show has grown.

Crawling Eye is a decent episode! Though it could be that I just like movie's alpine setting.

There's just something cozy about old MST for me. Took me a bit to feel the same about the SciFi years, but it's got it too. I'll get there eventually with the Netflix seasons.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

We were watching Kingdom of the Spiders and I said when Shatner is taking a car "William Shatner was a car thief". My friends thought it was funny because we all loved Wesley WIllis.

Was going to say that would be good Riff fodder, but Mike and the gang already did it.

The gauntlet almost done! Took me a while to finish Killer Fish, but I liked it. Something about 70's movies just go over perfectly.

Struggling with Ator. It has to live up to Cave Dwellers, and while the riffs are good, there is always Cave Dwellers in the back of my head. Also, drat, the creep factor is high.

Bad opinion: I would be okay with Crow and Servo escaping, then Growler and Gypsy taking over their duties. Or Gypsy and Waiverly.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Balloon Land, I lose it at "Yay Yay!" every time.

That, Ice Cream Bunny, Star Wars Christmas Special are my Rifftrax gauntlet. Love 'em all.

At some point, I need to watch the Cinematic Titanic Santa Claus Conquerors the Martians.

Finished Season 12! I can't believe Cave Dwellers is the better Ator movie. Hell, the recap at the start of Cave Dwellers is a better movie.

Solid season overall. Dr. St. Phibes reminds me of early Mike hexfield appearances. They weren't great either, but he got way, way better.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
You got a real opportunity for a free back-break here, just stay out of your own head.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

It was nice to see how much the cast and crew embraced it being riffed as opposed to, say, the snit fit the guy who did Squirm had.

Really? I recall an interview with the director was very hurt that they mocked him, personally, at the end.

Fake edit: He's wasn't that salty about it: http://www.badmovies.org/interviews/ricksloane/

quote:

Hobgoblins was another story; that movie was made very early in my career. It was never one of my favorite films. I laughed through the entire MST3K episode, until the very end. I wasn't expecting the humor to suddenly be at my own expense. I was mortified when they dragged out the cardboard cutout and pretended to do an interview with me. I was caught off guard. I had never seen them rip apart any other director before on the show.

But in the long run, that was what made the movie famous. There would have never been a Hobgoblins 2 without MST3K and I hope one of their incarnations decides to riff on the sequel. It won't be the same without it. As I was editing Hobgoblins 2, I could almost guess some of the jokes they would insert. I even named the production company, Halfway 2 Sanity, which I'm sure will not go unnoticed.

The guy who played JK Robertson in Time Chasers, though, he's my favorite example of someone completely not able to take a joke. He was incredibly offended anyone would mock a distinguished actor like himself (no, really).

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

watching The Beast of Yucca Flats episode, man the previous two Coleman Francis films they did must have been absolutely atrocious for them to react so negatively upon finding out they'd be doing a third one, also this must have been one of the shortest movies MST3K ever did considering they had to put two shorts in to meet the episode's required length

funny thing is this will be the first time I've ever watched this movie even though I've owned a DVD copy of the non-MST3K version since around 2005(as part of an 8 pack that also has Bowery At Midnight, Beast From Haunted Cave, Condemned To Live, Creature From The Haunted Sea, The Corpse Vanishes, Giant From The Unknown, and The Monster Maker)

Yeah, Beast of Yucca Flats had earned it's scorn. Also you'll notice the Coleman Francis hallmarks in the other two (mostly light planes, confusion, and despair).
Possibly the longest short movie ever. Flag on the Moon.

Beast From Haunted Cave would have made a decent episode. Hateful, stupid characters, terrible monster, nonsensical plot, but still has that Corman magic. Also they can cut about a half hour of skiing and chairlift-riding.

I did a Donald Pleasence double feature - Puma Man, and Warrior of the Lost World. I still can't decide which one had the worst protagonist.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Remember when that one guard walked all the way to the end of the cell block barn, and then all the way back to the other side? Gripping cinema.

"I've heard of this horrible Cuban paint throwing!"

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Watched Last of the Wild Horses again. I still don't know the main characters name, or what the hell he was doing.

Still some great jokes, and an all-time great set of host segments, but what a turd of a movie.

Proteus Jones posted:

Honestly, the only ones I can think of that were truly mean were the Joe Don Baker movies.

Hilarious how Joe Don got mad that they called out his unlikable slob characters as unlikable slobs.

Short and or bald jokes seem kinda lazy though (Time Chasers, Space Children).

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Tried watching Hercules again last night, and it's fine, but still on the bottom of my "big-sweaty-guys-pushing-women-around" rankings. Maybe just too plot-heavy? Jokes had kinda run thin by that point?

Also watched Beast from the Haunted Cave, which feels like an MSTied movie, despite not being one. Corman produced, but not directed, and you could have fooled me.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
All the General Hospital bits depress the hell out of me. "Bee-Double-Oh-Zee Booze!" is a great line.

Mad Monster is pretty dark, what with the kindly groundskeeper getting turned into a wearwolf and murdering a little girl.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

laserblast has a premise??

I think it's the sturmin? Does that sound right?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Atomic Brain is pretty dark, considering that it's about an old woman ogling young women in an ostensible effort to transplant her brain into one of their bodies.

Oooof, yeah. I have a hard time enjoying that episode. Also Robot Monster's dream-story is pretty bleak, what with everyone dying. But it's a dream, so it's all okay!

The Cinematic Titanic episode Doomsday out-bleaks just about everything.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No streams!

No streams!

Keep circulating the streams!

Bad brain thoughts: what do you think happened to Jimmy after he accused his parents? I'm assuming more accidental mob ties, and eventual cement shoes, because he's stupid.

Torgo would use his hospitality experience to get a job at a clean, but low-cost motel.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, are there any other MST3Ks like Rocket Attack USA that riff on Cold War propaganda? Falling Down is the centerpiece of my next movie night and I thought it’d be cool to screen something like that beforehand (our movie nights are long).

EDIT: I’ll also take Rifftrax suggestions.

Invasion USA is a treat. I think it was supposed to be a satire, but boy howdy, it's so, so dumb. Like, a fascist first grader wrote it.

SolarFire2 posted:

Between the Violent Years, High School Big Shot, I Accuse My Parents, Teenage Crime Wave and others I'm probably forgetting, I wonder what the hell was going on in the fifties that made parents so terrified of their children.

As depressing as the Coleman Francis troika is, High School Big Shot is so relentlessly depressing, misogynistic, and hateful. It's just the worst. Everyone but the colorful safe-cracker is awful.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

Fact - the lead in the film died before the movie was released. It was the final film he worked on.

You know, in case you didn't want the movie to be any more depressing.

Yeeeesh. I had no idea.

And speaking of depressing! Things didn't end well for the director of Carnival Magic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Adamson#Death

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Golden Bee posted:

Carnival tragic

:golfclap:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Can I have a little acid?

Also, please help me, I can't stop watching Legend of Boggy Creek II.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
With all the Godzilla movies unavailable, I'd go with Message From Space to scratch the crazy Toho Toei itch.

There are a bunch more Starman/SuperGiant movies they could do to follow Prince of Space, and the rights are probably available, BUT the hurtle now is widescreen and HD, so that's leaving a bunch of stuff off the table.

There was a 90s-ish remake of Yongary (aka: Reptilian) that is quite bad, and might work.

Breaking away from Boggy Creek and going with Radar Secret Service for this evening's MST viewing.

Fake edit: Scratch Radar Secret Service. Japanese movie talk has me wanting to Watch Time of the Apes.

Failson fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 17, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Pearl and Mike in the Winnebago is one of the top ten skits they ever did.

EDIT: Dog and Bear was a Mike skit too.

"Pearl, why are you so evil?"

"Well... I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps at all?"

All the Time Chasers host segments are perfect.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Another season 1 defender, checking in!

I honestly have a fondness for all of them, with three exceptions:

1) Project Moonbase - Big time misogyny already mentioned, and that's on top of just being really, really dull. The two episodes of Commando Cody are worth watching though.

2) Women from a Prehistoric Planet - This one is on me. It's a crappy Scifi in color! I should love it! I don't. Feels six hours long, and despite trying to have an anti-racists message, feels really racist.

3) Black Scorpion - The movie is okay! But there are some really racists riffs from Joel and the Bots, and one bad sketch. It's uncomfortable.

Went to watch Day Time Ended, and I forgot that I had cancelled my Netflix sub. Oops.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

TVGM posted:

Went to the live show tonight. The production quality was super low. During the intro Joel mentioned it was his last tour (and teared up :smith:) but that he'd still be helping with "the brand".

That said, the riffing was great and the voice actors they found for the bots were excellent.

Nessus posted:

He's no spring chicken. At the same time, well, we've heard that about the Stones, too.

I really feel like Joel loves touring, but also has a family, and like you said, Nessus, he's not getting any younger.

Which show was it, TVGM? I've got January tickets for the Ghost-of-Bruce-Lee movie.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hadn't watched Fire Maidens from Outer Space in a while. Geeze, it's a slog. The Timmy stuff still sort of creeps me out, but it saves the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'll agree on Crawling Hand. weak MST episode, not that bad of a movie.

Golden Bee posted:

I was a teenage werewolf is a lost classic. I dig the implication that the first thing the police will try in reaction to an animal attack to put Mark Fuhrman on it.
“It’s a shame I have to walk home to the other side of glacier national Park!”

"There was a Letterman's jacket in my stool this morning!" Great episode. The barn dance is wonderfully nonsensical.

Also "He's legitimately scientific! Uses hypnotism!" That whole string of past-life regression movies in season 8 were trippy.