Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Volume 37 titles announced:

420- THE HUMAN DUPLICATORS
705- ESCAPE 2000
817- HORROR OF PARTY BEACH
819- INVASION OF THE NEPTUNE MEN

Now things really start to get interesting. Because most of the episodes left, including all of the Joel episodes remaining, seemingly have big rights roadblocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

happyhippy posted:

Has there been any talk or news articles on these roadblocks?
As would love to read on why lovely movies are being blocked, who are the assholes blocking them.

Yes actually, Travis at the MST3K Board has been keeping up with the rights for movies since 2006. Here's the rundown of what's left according to him:

quote:

201- Rocketship X-M
Wade Williams/Corinth Films. Wade has a sentimental attachment to this particular film, so it's a firm "no" unless he changes his mind. *DVD released by Image Entertainment* <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

213- Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
Toho says no. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

309 - The Amazing Colossal Man
Susan Nicholson Hofheinz (aka Susan Hart). Susan isn't even interested in releasing the Un-MSTied versions (or wants too much money to license them), so this could be a bit of a wait. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

311 - It Conquered the World
see above. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

416 - Fire Maidens from Outer Space
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us Olive Films has the rights to this until 2018, so it may be a bit of a wait (unless Shout Factory works some kind of deal with Olive in the meantime). *BluRay released by Olive Films* <NOT LIKELY>

418 - Attack of the The Eye Creatures
Susan Hart (or MGM). MGM has shown several of Larry Buchanan's AIP-TV flicks on various HD networks (all are listed under MGM copyrights), while many sources say Susan Hart owns claim to it (along with ZONTAR THE THING FROM VENUS, but none of the other Azalea remakes). This could be messy to sort out. *DVD released by Retromedia (assuming PD)* <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

601 - Girls Town
Warner Brothers (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us the rights will revert back to Paramount this year unless Warner chooses to renew. If the rights revert, consider this extremely-likely, otherwise it may be a wait. <NOT LIKELY>

602 - Invasion USA
Sony. Finally found a Columbia Pictures copyright renewal. *DVD released by Synapse Video (assuming PD)* <LIKELY>

605 - Colossus and the Headhunters
RCM Produzione Cinematografica/Alta Vista. Originally released by AIP, the rights have most likely reverted back to their original Italian owners. I found a Spanish Region 2 DVD released by Filmax Home Video under it's international title FURY OF THE HEADHUNTERS, also a Greek Region 2 release, so either may be a good place to start to get back to the current rights holders. *No authorized Region 1 DVD release* <LIKELY>

618 - High School Big Shot
Originally distributed by The Filmgroup, Roger Corman's company that gave us THE WASP WOMAN, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, GIRL IN LOVER'S LANE, etc. Most, if not all, have been in a grey "assumed public domain" status for years due to their copyrights not being renewed, and this one is no different. Something Weird Video released this on a "Troubled Teens Triple Feature" DVD years back, SWV generally licenses all of their oddities, but this could have been a case of assuming PD and access to a good print (ala Retromedia). The legit route? Go to Roger Corman. *DVD released by Something Weird Video (assuming PD)* <LIKELY>

623 - The Amazing Transparent Man
MGM. Shout! released this UnMSTied in an 4-MGM SciFi film DVD set. *DVD released by Shout! Factory* <EXTREMELY-LIKELY>

807 - Terror from the Year 5000
Susan Nicholson Hofheinz (aka Susan Hart). She isn't even interested in releasing the Un-MSTied versions (or wants too much money to license them), so this could be a bit of a wait. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

809 - I Was a Teenage Werewolf

905 - The Deadly Bees
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us Olive has a 5-year deal on this with Paramount, so unless Shout manages to work something out with Olive in the meantime, we could be in for a bit of a wait (2020). *Blu-ray released by Olive Films* <NOT LIKELY>

906 - The Space Children
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Same deal with #905, except this one will become available slightly sooner (2017). <NOT LIKELY>

913 - Quest of the Delta Knights
Copyright by Ramsway JC/LTD. I have found *several* foreign DVD releases that might be a good starting place to track down the current U.S. rights holder: a Region 0 [PAL Format] by Flashback Entertainment (OOP), a Region 4 DVD released in Australia/New Zealand by Payless Entertainment, a Czech Region 2 DVD release by Blesk DVD, and even a South Africa Region 2 DVD by Impact Video. Wow. Originally released on VHS by Hemdale Home Video, reissued by Plaza Ent in 1999. *No Region 1 DVD releases* <LIKELY>

1007 - Track of the Moonbeast
Copyright 1972 Lizard Productions Inc. Has had an assumed public domain status for years, it may be a dig to find the current rights holders. Cinema Shares International released this theatrically (they also released GODZILLA VS. MEGALON, THE PUMAMAN and DEVIL FISH), but went under in the mid-late 80's. Released on VHS by Prism Entertainment wayy back when. *multiple DVD releases (assuming PD)* <NOT LIKELY>

1013 - Diabolik
Warner Brothers (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us Warner's deal with Paramount expires this year, unless they choose to renew. If the rights revert back to Paramount, I'd say this was pretty likely. If Warner renews, it'll be a few years wait. *DVD released by Paramount (out of print)* <NOT LIKELY>

He updates this list as often as news comes up, you can find it here: http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/6297/likelihood-shout-factory-release-list

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So that woman has a death grip on The Amazing Colossal Man, but let War of the Colossal Beast go?

Arkhoff Estates owned the rights to that film not American International Pictures which is where her rights originate from. She is the widow of the AIP co-founder. She does get some money from it though because I think it falls under derivative works since it uses the same characters.

There's a neat feature length doc on AIP on the Volume 34 DVD set. Another reason why the Shout DVDs are the best.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 27, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The wormhole in Prince of Space when everyone is out of sync is my favorite host segment. The Mike as a puppet part is great too.That's my favorite episode period of the show as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Frankenstyle posted:

drat, I'm drawing a blank. Which episode is the one where Joel mocks the song in the movie that finishes with "It stinks"?

Pod People

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I got into MST3K pretty young, probably around 13 or 14, but it was probably well after I'd seen it for the first time. So we were already into Mike territory by then. I had seen it earlier than that but I didn't really get it. Just seemed like dumb old movies to my brain. I couldn't even begin to tell you what episode hooked me though.

I watched the show pretty religiously for the last few seasons but it wasn't until a few years later when it was readily available online that I finally managed to take it all in.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 4, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Demp posted:

Speaking of Track of the Moon Beast, Shout just announced the titles for Volume 38:

602- INVASION U.S.A. (with short: A DATE WITH YOUR FAMILY)
605- COLOSSUS AND THE HEADHUNTERS
618- HIGH SCHOOL BIG SHOT (with short: OUT OF THIS WORLD)
1007- TRACK OF THE MOON BEAST

Alright, we got 3 likely ones and one unlikely from the list that Travis at the MST3K forums maintains of the film rights. That leaves us in a really interesting spot regarding Volume 39. There's only a couple of sure fire movies left where the rights are easily obtainable.

X-O posted:

Yes actually, Travis at the MST3K Board has been keeping up with the rights for movies since 2006. Here's the rundown of what's left according to him:

quote:

201- Rocketship X-M
Wade Williams/Corinth Films. Wade has a sentimental attachment to this particular film, so it's a firm "no" unless he changes his mind. *DVD released by Image Entertainment* <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

Toho says no. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

Susan Nicholson Hofheinz (aka Susan Hart). Susan isn't even interested in releasing the Un-MSTied versions (or wants too much money to license them), so this could be a bit of a wait. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us Olive Films has the rights to this until 2018, so it may be a bit of a wait (unless Shout Factory works some kind of deal with Olive in the meantime). *BluRay released by Olive Films* <NOT LIKELY>

Susan Hart (or MGM). MGM has shown several of Larry Buchanan's AIP-TV flicks on various HD networks (all are listed under MGM copyrights), while many sources say Susan Hart owns claim to it (along with ZONTAR THE THING FROM VENUS, but none of the other Azalea remakes). This could be messy to sort out. *DVD released by Retromedia (assuming PD)* <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

601 - Girls Town
Warner Brothers (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us the rights will revert back to Paramount this year unless Warner chooses to renew. If the rights revert, consider this extremely-likely, otherwise it may be a wait. <NOT LIKELY>

602 - Invasion USA
Sony. Finally found a Columbia Pictures copyright renewal. *DVD released by Synapse Video (assuming PD)* <LIKELY>

605 - Colossus and the Headhunters
RCM Produzione Cinematografica/Alta Vista. Originally released by AIP, the rights have most likely reverted back to their original Italian owners. I found a Spanish Region 2 DVD released by Filmax Home Video under it's international title FURY OF THE HEADHUNTERS, also a Greek Region 2 release, so either may be a good place to start to get back to the current rights holders. *No authorized Region 1 DVD release* <LIKELY>

618 - High School Big Shot
Originally distributed by The Filmgroup, Roger Corman's company that gave us THE WASP WOMAN, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, GIRL IN LOVER'S LANE, etc. Most, if not all, have been in a grey "assumed public domain" status for years due to their copyrights not being renewed, and this one is no different. Something Weird Video released this on a "Troubled Teens Triple Feature" DVD years back, SWV generally licenses all of their oddities, but this could have been a case of assuming PD and access to a good print (ala Retromedia). The legit route? Go to Roger Corman. *DVD released by Something Weird Video (assuming PD)* <LIKELY>

623 - The Amazing Transparent Man
MGM. Shout! released this UnMSTied in an 4-MGM SciFi film DVD set. *DVD released by Shout! Factory* <EXTREMELY-LIKELY>

Susan Nicholson Hofheinz (aka Susan Hart). She isn't even interested in releasing the Un-MSTied versions (or wants too much money to license them), so this could be a bit of a wait. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

905 - The Deadly Bees
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us Olive has a 5-year deal on this with Paramount, so unless Shout manages to work something out with Olive in the meantime, we could be in for a bit of a wait (2020). *Blu-ray released by Olive Films* <NOT LIKELY>

906 - The Space Children
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Same deal with #905, except this one will become available slightly sooner (2017). <NOT LIKELY>

Copyright by Ramsway JC/LTD. I have found *several* foreign DVD releases that might be a good starting place to track down the current U.S. rights holder: a Region 0 [PAL Format] by Flashback Entertainment (OOP), a Region 4 DVD released in Australia/New Zealand by Payless Entertainment, a Czech Region 2 DVD release by Blesk DVD, and even a South Africa Region 2 DVD by Impact Video. Wow. Originally released on VHS by Hemdale Home Video, reissued by Plaza Ent in 1999. *No Region 1 DVD releases* <LIKELY>

1007 - Track of the Moonbeast
Copyright 1972 Lizard Productions Inc. Has had an assumed public domain status for years, it may be a dig to find the current rights holders. Cinema Shares International released this theatrically (they also released GODZILLA VS. MEGALON, THE PUMAMAN and DEVIL FISH), but went under in the mid-late 80's. Released on VHS by Prism Entertainment wayy back when. *multiple DVD releases (assuming PD)* <NOT LIKELY>

1013 - Diabolik
Warner Brothers (licensed from Paramount). Sources tell us Warner's deal with Paramount expires this year, unless they choose to renew. If the rights revert back to Paramount, I'd say this was pretty likely. If Warner renews, it'll be a few years wait. *DVD released by Paramount (out of print)* <NOT LIKELY>

He updates this list as often as news comes up, you can find it here: http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/6297/likelihood-shout-factory-release-list

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the movie riffing was really strong for a first episode. All of the host segments left much to be desired though. It just didn't click with me at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ComposerGuy posted:

Nah, who cares? He didn't like it, and nearly everyone else did. Moving on.

A lot of people have mentioned the puppet mouth sync stuff and I wonder if that had a lot to do with the way they recorded everything. I'll be honest that I didn't really notice until my second watch because I don't normally throw but a casual glance at them in the theater during a movie unless there's obvious movement going on down there.

I think a big problem with that is that I heard unlike the original show the voice actors aren't actually doing the puppeteering so that really won't ever seem as natural as it did.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

rydiafan posted:

Like, I can divide my life into the time before I saw Fun in Balloonland and after.

Now I know how the characters in a Lovecraft story feel once they glimpse the Great Old Ones.

I think I'm going to end up like Detective Walenski in Dark City.

There’s actually a few distinct eras of Life with Rifftrax. Life Pre-Ice Cream Bunny. Life Pre-Fun In Balloonland. Life Pre-Rollergator. And Life Pre-A Talking Cat?!?. All make you descend to a whole new level of insanity.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, God, Rollergator. One might think from the capsule description of 'talking baby alligator who raps and thinks he's funny is being pursued by a skateboard ninja sent by Joe Estevez' would lead to the valid conclusion of 'this motion picture will not be very good.' You do not realize it, but you have uttered an understatement that offends God Himself.

Well that capsule leaves out two of the most maddening parts of the film. It’s all shot on the same VHS Camcorder your dad had in the early ‘90s, and it has the same 15 second loop of a ‘score’ that plays for the entire film.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Breadallelogram posted:

Half (or more) of the dialogue in Rollergator is inaudible as well.

Which is probably for the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Is delta knights the ONLY episode that's never been released on DVD or download?

One of my favorites, Attack of the the Eye Creatures, is one of the many films that Susan Hart has a death grip on.

This is the unreleased list from the MST3K forum.

quote:

201- Rocketship X-M
Wade Williams.
Mr. Williams has a sentimental attachment to this particular film, and has given a firm "NO" to licensing out for the MST3k version.
<EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

Criterion (licensed from Toho).
<EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

Susan Nicholson-Hofheinz (Susan Hart).

Widow of AIP founder James Nicholson who has claim to some of AIP's early films (the rest being with the Arkoff estate). She has yet to be interested in any offers from multiple home video labels regarding her library of AIP titles. Word is she wants far too much money to license them. After a few rumors this past year, it's sadly been confirmed that nothing has changed RE: her stance on licensing her film properties.

<EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

905 - The Deadly Bees
906 - The Space Children

Olive Films (licensed from Paramount).
I've heard from different sources that Olive has 5-year deals with Paramount on their catalog titles (for example, THE DEADLY BEES is set to expire in 2020). The other two titles should be expiring soon or have already expired., which should be expired or expiring soon. Assuming Olive films doesn't renew their license with Paramount, this would clear the way for Shout Factory to obtain them for a future MST3k box set.
<LIKELY>

CURRENT RIGHTS HOLDERS DISCOVERED!!! - Shout Factory has found (thanks to fellow fan Joshua Murphy) the rights holders and now has this episode available for streaming! Hopefully a DVD release won't be too far behind.

Copyright registered under Ramsway JC/LTD. Originally released on VHS by Hemdale Home Video, reissued by Plaza Ent in 1999.

I have found *several* foreign DVD releases despite the movie never getting released stateside: a Region 0 [PAL Format] by Flashback Entertainment (OOP), a Region 4 DVD released in Australia/New Zealand by Payless Entertainment, a Czech Region 2 DVD release by Blesk/Hollywood Classic Entertainment, and even a South Africa Region 2 DVD by Impact Video AND a VCD (yes, VCD) release in the Netherlands!.
Wow.
<LIKELY>

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 17, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nemo2342 posted:

I really hope not. It was awkward when people brought it up last show and I’d hope people would have the good sense not to bring it up again.

I didn't see the last show but Trace and Frank said they wouldn't be involved on Twitter and have not done anything to promote the Kickstarter there either. I noticed right after they answered someone asking that they'd have nothing to do with the revival they immediately answered another question saying they'd work with Rifftrax the minute that conditions allow them to do so. So I guess there's some kind of bad blood there but who knows over what at this point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No it definitely not anyone's business at all. It just sucks that whatever happened is keeping them from working together on stuff. We'll all just have to cherish that one MST3K Reunion Rifftrax since that might be the only thing they ever all pop up on.

Didn't Trace or Frank one say the first time they ever got any share of payment for MST3K stuff was when it was sold through the digital sales on Rifftrax.com?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timby posted:

I recall him saying, around the time he left, that he had decided it was time to stop putting on a wig and wearing a lab coat and sticking his hand up a robot's rear end. And it just seems like the lines of communication went dry between the parties since then.

Well they did Cinematic Titanic together for a long while after that. That's why I had always assumed the dissolution of that played a part in it.

Timby posted:

He has an inner ear issue, as I recall.

I believe he lives with constant headaches that are made even worse by flying. I seem to remember him writing about them in Movie Megacheese. I feel him kind of on that as when I lost my hearing in my left ear three years ago I've had an unending bout of tinnitus that plagues me to this day and there's nothing that can be done to cure it or even alleviate it at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 12, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Morter posted:

I love you this muuuuch!

i don't care for yoooou

Lay off the anteaters!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I Am Fowl posted:

They're pretty funny.

They're the better team of the two I think.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

brocked posted:

Surely we've seen Tom with a goatee at some point

Evil Mike had one in Last of the Wild Horses, don't think Servo did though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hope they can get it done, but I reluctantly finally bought in last time near the end of the campaign. I'm gonna hold off for now and see how it shakes out in a few weeks. I'm no fan of Kickstarter but I really don't know if they even have a chance of getting this done using this platform.