Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

And if we count shorts, I think the oldest thing they riffed was the Phantom Creeps series (1939) in Season 2.

1936's The Undersea Kingdom was the oldest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Hobgoblins also had Arleen Sorkin, voice of Harley Quinn. I'm not sure where she is, maybe one of the Club Scum guests.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Mohammad "Tony" Zarindast, director/writer/producer of Werewolf, in which he also played the security guard who becomes a werewolf. He was 82.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not sure we need a backstory that can't just be covered in the opening theme.

Netflix might have demanded it, but it does seem unnecessary.

Franchescanado posted:

The nudity in the trailer literally is censored. Tom Servo is floating over the censor bars. They've done it before with Cinematic Titanic as well.

Those aren't censor bars, the movie is originally like that. It's from The Time Travelers, which is actually a halfway decent movie.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

boner confessor posted:

rewatching pod people for the first time in ages - it was my most viewed episode when i was a kid because it was the first i got on vhs

i never noticed that the opening credit footage is from a completely different movie, but that movie was galaxy invader!!!

Rifftrax eventually did that movie. They also did Prisoners of the Lost Universe, clips of which were in the opening to Stranded in Space.

By the way, if you ever wondered about that tune they sing when they bring up mediocre movies from the 1960s and 70s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWVyDBmuR8

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Nakajima Haruo, the first person to play Godzilla. He was in the 1954 original and for the next eighteen years wore the Godzilla suit in many sequels, including MST3K's Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster. (Megalon was the first one made without him.) He also played monsters in movies like Rodan and Mothra, and he had small roles in Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, and Yojimbo. He was 88.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

Rance Howard has died

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/25/entertainment/rance-howard-father-of-ron-obit/index.html

if you want to fire up your copy of Village of the Giants in tribute.

Supposedly his character was supposed to be killed by the giants but that part was never filmed. But he still disappears after that one scene.

Some other recent MST3K deaths:

Peter Baldwin: actor from The Space Children who became an Emmy-winning director
Keith Barron: actor from The Land that Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core
Harry Stradling Jr: cinematographer who did Mitchell even after getting two Oscar nominations
Don Pedro Colley: the Moorish spy from Quest of the Delta Knights; he was also in THX-1138 and Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Kim Ki-duk: Writer/Director of Yongary; he directed over sixty movies between 1961 and 1977
Jimmy Clem: Old Man Crenshaw from Boggy Creek; he was in a few other movies, including The Town that Dreaded Sundown

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently the monkey part of Merlin's Chop was an edited movie with the original ending being EVERYBODY DIES.

Yeah it's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_Gift

Also the movie is a complete ripoff of a Stephen King story titled "The Monkey:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Artsygrrl posted:

I always felt like Escape 2000 was another in the Italian knock-off/budget smaller than ambitions category.

In the 1980s filmmakers saw the success of the relatively low-budget Escape from New York, The Warriors, and the Mad Max movies, and decided all you needed for a movie was flamboyantly-dressed gangs in decaying environments (either urban or post-apocalyptic or both), and a whole subgenre was born. Escape 2000, City Limits, and Warrior of the Lost World are all part of it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Today’s the 25th anniversary of Manos: the Hands of Fate’s first airing on MST3K.

And today is the 14th anniversary of the last time MST3K aired on SciFi (a rerun of The Screaming Skull). For a long time it was the last time MST3K ever aired on TV, but that isn't true any more.

Also, Don Sullivan of The Giant Gila Monster and The Rebel Set has died. Put your leg up on something in memory.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Today is the 20th anniversary of the first showing of Pumaman (pronounced pyumaman).

Also RIP Steven Bochco, creator of Gemini Man/Riding with Death and maybe some other things, I don’t know.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

boner confessor posted:

i'm glad that mary jo, kevin, and bill are so game to be guest stars (probably easier to schedule than mark hamill) and iirc the main reason mike didn't come is because he's busy with his own thing now?

Paul was also in the last episode as his Observer character. And some of the music was done by Charlie Erickson, writer of the original theme music.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Paingod556 posted:

So obviously I need more episodes that feature light aircraft to share :v: Aside from Skydivers, are there any other episodes that fit the bill?

San Francisco International has a kid easily stealing a light plane and then being able to fly it with radio instructions. Also, security at the airport is terrible in general, with people sneaking onto the field and someone bringing a gun into the airport and on a plane.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

The Bermuda Triangle also stars Miguel Angel Fuentes aka Vidinho from Pumaman.

Not to mention some obscure movie director or another.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Sometimes you see Arleen Sorkin listed in the cast of Hobgoblins and sometimes you don't. If she's there she's some random person in Club Scum.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I saw Giant Spider Invasion on some obscure channel as a kid. I remember they forgot to cut the topless shot. And I saw the very end of Village of the Giants ("One last offensive thing") sometime.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I made Squirm when i was 25 years old.. AS A GOOF! Everything in that film is intentional

The director of Incredible Melting Man also insists that the movie is obviously a comedy and everything "bad" in it is deliberate.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I also like the bits where Joel tries to teach the Bots a life lesson or have them help him with a skit based off of something in the movie, and fails miserably. Like the segment where Joel's playing Colossal Man and the Bots don't remotely take him seriously, or when they mess up his "broom closet malt shop" bit from The Giant Gila Monster.

Some fans call those failed sketches, where someone wants to do a sketch but someone else refuses or deliberately messes it up. It's interesting that sometimes the host segments are supposed to show whatever they're doing when they aren't watching the movie, but sometimes they really are supposed to be putting on a performance for the audience. Multilayered....

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Keenan Wynn and Cameron Mitchell were both in two.

John Williams did the music for Daddy-O.

Maury Chaykin was in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Shawn Levy, who played the evil rapist kid in Zombie Nightmare, produced and directed Stranger Things, produced the movie Arrival, and directed some forgettable movies, like most of the Night at the Museum series.

Rick Baker worked on three.

Stan Winston worked on It Lives by Night.

Willis O'Brien did The Black Scorpion.

Mario Bava worked on two.

Ennio Morricone did two.

László Kovács and Vilmos Zsigmond both worked on The Incredibly Strange Creatures before becoming very popular conematographers; Zsigmond won an Oscar.

Gemini Man/Riding with Death was created by Steven Bochco and Harve Bennett.

Incidentally the Paul Verhoeven in Hamlet was not the Robocop director.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 14, 2018

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Breadallelogram posted:

I've been watching season 9 episodes lately and you can usually see Mike's headset

The puppet version of Mike in Prince of Space also wears a headset.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Dick Miller :(

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Atlantic Rim was unbelievably bad. I'd say it's the worst movie of the revival series. Poor Graham Greene.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
A couple of recent deaths:

David Winters (age 80): Choreographer of Kitten With a Whip and director/writer/producer of Space Mutiny. He was better known as a choreographer and worked on Viva Las Vegas, the 1976 version of A Star is Born, and The Star Wars Holiday Special. Then for some reason in the 1980s he started producing and directing tons of awful movies.

Mario Bernardo (age 99): In WWII he fought Italian fascists and Nazis as part of the Italian Communist Party. Later he was a cinematographer on a number of movies, working with directors like Pasolini. Then somehow he ended up doing special effects for Pumaman. So the next time you watch Pumaman and want to laugh at the effects, remember they were done by a badass Nazi killer.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

To this day I wonder what the original context for the Hitler Building stock footage was.

It isn't stock footage, it's a miniature of the Tokyo Cultural Hall. It was advertising a Swedish documentary called Mein Kampf, which is what the lettering above Hitler says.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Ok so someone built a miniature of the Tokyo Cultural Hall, and put an advertisement for a Hitler Documentary on it, and then blew it up.

This makes even less sense than it being WWII stock footage :psyduck:

The movie does have some really good effects, but I think people assume this is real because they can’t imagine anyone would build it as a miniature. I guess the filmmakers wanted it as realistic as possible, Hitler advertisement and all.

You do wonder why it wasn’t edited from the American version, but considering how much footage they recycled to lengthen the movie, we’re lucky they didn’t show it twice.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
"When Ed Wood saw this film, it was like when Truffaut saw Citizen Kane!"

Racket Girls was produced by George Weiss, who also produced Wood's Glen or Glenda, though I don't know if Wood ever saw it.

Weiss is still going at age 98, though his stock footage-appropriating days are behind him.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i love that part, where platt is giving all the heist guys poo poo, one by one.

"enough money to forget that you can't act",
"for you to stop writing bad books and start reading good ones",
"and for you to cut loose from your lovely and wandering mother, so you can go to hell in your own way"

in general, the rebel set is pretty underrated

For some reason I've always thought that Quentin Tarantino would be interested in remaking The Rebel Set.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There's an unsubstantiated report that the movies owned by Susan Hart, who hasn't allowed them to come out on video, are finally being released next year. That includes the movies in five unreleased MST3K episodes.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=322711

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Supposedly Shout and Susan Hart are nearing a deal to allow five of the missing MST3K episodes to be released:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MST3K/comments/f0f561/shout_factory_is_very_close_to_licensing_the

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I went to see E.T. at a rep house on the weekend with my kiddos, and then followed it up with Mac & Me yesterday.

It really is an incredible rip-off until the ending, then this happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0yYxO89lQA&t=40s

In the unedited version the kid gets shot too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5A0KpJkX8

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Simplex posted:

Mitchell is edited pretty heavily for MST3K. It's a pretty hard R rated movie with a lot of gratuitous nudity and violence.

They only had an edited TV version to work with. They were as confused as we were about the disappearing characters and dropped plotlines.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I always liked the extended bit right before the Mads challenge the Satellite to a swing choir-off and Frank goes off on how much of a stoner Mike is. "You wake and bake every day."

They made pot jokes at a time when you didn't hear many pot jokes on TV. There's a hilarious bit in Mighty Jack where a guy is smoking and Joel keeps inhaling like he's holding it in.

Also RIP Cindy Butler, who played Leslie in Boggy Creek II. At the time the movie was made she was married to Charles B. Pierce, though she wasn't the mother of Chuck Pierce. Must've been an awkward shoot.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watching The Mads do The Tingler now, and for some reason I like that Frank and Trace aren't shy about cussing, which is not something I normally require in my riffs, but for some reason it works for them. "Seriously, gently caress these guys!"

The best joke was when the guy tells his wife he's going upstairs and Frank says "She's signing 'I'll alert the loving media.'"

In case you didn't get the Ed Ames axe joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5QC9ZJkM8

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Happy birthday to Oscar O'Shea of "God is dead? Good!" fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Df3j9vCcIM

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Supposedly this is the legendary "Jimmy Smits" commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvJoAQjA4s

I don't know, they always said a different voice came in to say it. Still kind of strange though.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
BTW the music playing during Crow's report on Malta really is the Maltese national anthem. Remember Encarta?

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 20, 2021

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm now just amused by the mental image of Darth Vader force-choking Hitler (which Michael Sheard apparently played the role of twice).

Sheard played Hitler at least five times in different movies and TV (even though I don't think he really looked like Hitler). He also played Himmler at least three times and played various other German soldiers and officers. He was just the go-to guy for Nazis. He was also in six Doctor Who stories with five different Doctors.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The Volume 34 DVD set has apparently gone out of print, so grab a copy while you can.

Also RIP Antonio Sabàto Sr, who played Dablone ("Toblerone") in Escape 2000.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The next movie from Trace and Frank will be The Choppers, starring Arch Hall Jr, written and produced by Arch Hall Sr. It also stars Bruno VeSota, who appeared in five different MST3K movies.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Sandro Dori, Italian actor who worked with such directors as Federico Fellini and Vittorio De Sica, though MST3K fans know him best for his role of Stud (who may have been coming) in Diabolik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Which episode is that has the skit with the radio that's always tuned to the news that's specifically relevant to the movie?

The Giant Gila Monster.

Also RIP John "Bud" Cardos, director of Outlaw of Gor and The Day Time Ended, plus the Rifftrax-only movies The Dark, Kingdom of the Spiders, and Mutant. As an actor he worked with such directorial legends as Arch Hall Sr. and Al Adamson. He was also second unit director on The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant and something called The Wild Bunch.