Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think I may have asked this before, but...who do you think is dumber? Jimmy from I Accuse My Parents, or Harv from High School Big Shot?

I'm going with Marv, because that movie actually made me mad the first time I watched it. Jimmy did a bunch of dumb poo poo to impress a girl who at least returned the affection. What is Marv's excuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I stopped watching the show when it moved to SciFi, and to this day I still prefer the Comedy Central episodes. Bad movies from the 50s and 60s are definitely in my wheelhouse, but those later seasons are far more reliant on contemporary movies.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The plot to I Accuse My Parents isn't really terribly different than movies like The Freshman or Mickey Blue Eyes or probably dozens of others, which follow the same basic formula of love-struck, naive guy does dumb poo poo and gets in way too deep with the mob. It would probably be a half decent movie without the ridiculous courtroom framing story. But without the courtroom framing story it would barely be an hour long.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was really expecting to not like the Atlantic Rim episode, but of this season it's the episode that stands out the most to me.

The love triangle subplot is absolutely bonkers, but it's really not that incompetently done. There are just a lot of bizarre decisions. And then it just ends with no resolution at all.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Catalina Caper, Moon Zero Two, and Marooned aka Space Travelers are all legitimately decent to pretty good movies.

I think they make kind of awkward MST3K episodes because a lot of the jokes are reaches.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think most of the movies they do aren't that far removed from being good movies. It's what makes the show and b movies in general fun. The only ones that are truly irredeemable are stuff like the red scare movies.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

JoeCL posted:

I used to think Monster A-Go-Go was the worst since its barely stitched together at all. After re-watching Invasion USA recently I decided it had to be that one. Its just straight fascist propaganda.

Between it and Rocket Attack USA I can never remember which one is "merely" xenophobic and which one is also racist

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Call me crazy, but I would actually like to see a big budget, modern remake of Women of the Prehistoric Planet. The movie actually has a pretty interesting premise, and some decent sci-fi elements. It's just super cheap looking and the plot twist is very poorly delivered.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Call me hopelessly optimistic, but I think MSTs weird limbo status is a pretty good indication that Netflix has future plans for the show. The service generally has no problem letting the world know when they axe shows, but is terrible at letting people know when to expect new content.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Of the new seasons, Avalanche is the movie that I find myself keep coming back too. I think it has the worst geography of any movie that I've ever seen, as I have absolutely no idea where any location in that movie is in relation to any other location. I really need to see one of those miniature mock-ups of what the hell that ski resort is even supposed to look like.

And then the ambulance drives off the bridge.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

The weird thing about Mitchell is how violent the end of the movie is compared to the rest of it.

Mitchell is edited pretty heavily for MST3K. It's a pretty hard R rated movie with a lot of gratuitous nudity and violence.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm impressed by the editing in Time of the Apes. It's almost a real movie which is far more than you can say about Fugitive Alien 1 or 2

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Village of the Giants is meant to be a goofy family comedy along the same lines of The Nutty Professor or The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. It's just Bert I. Gordon is not a good filmmaker, there are no jokes, and the teenagers are way too malicious and not played for comedy enough.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Okay, okay, I'll own up to it: I'm the freak who actually likes The Starfighters. It's easily the one movie they've done that I can't figure out why it even exists, and the absurdity of that alone makes me appreciate it.
The Starfighters isn't a good movie but it is pretty pleasant to watch as it's essentially a tension free Top Gun. You watch some planes fly around and blow up some empty desert. A guy meets a nice girl, and one time some bad weather moves in so he has to land at a different airport.

It's like easy listening, but in movie form. A good movie to watch some you are at the dentist's.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Well, Walking Tall was the quintessential 70's "man pushed past his limits takes matters into his own hands" type deal, based (probably loosely) on a true story. I think Sash! was talking about Joe Don as Jack Wade in the Brosnan Bond films, although he worked for the CIA so still probably a villain.

Joe Don Baker plays both a villain and a sidekick in Bond movies. He's the villain in the Living Daylights and then comes back and plays Bond's CIA counterpart in Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Cameron Mitchell is a trailblazer for the likes of Eric Roberts and Eric Estrada. He's in practically every crappy movie from the 80s, often times in his own living room. Sometimes the exact same clip of his is used in multiple movies.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I've tried to watch it twice, but that is a tough movie to watch. I refuse to believe that there ever was a script and the entire thing isn't just improv

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly Wild World of Batwoman is my pick for worst. I still have never stayed awake through the whole thing.

I think if you gave me a little time I could remember the plot to most of the movies on MST3K. Or, at a minimum I would at least confuse it for the plot of another movie. To this day, despite seeing it an innumerable amount of times, I still have no idea what actually happens in that movie. I always zone out pretty early on. Zone back in sometime during that really racist sequence, and immediately tune out again.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Pod People deserves a place in the conversation for worst movies. Pick a lane, cutesy ET rip-off or monster movie. Don't do both. Idiots in control now.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would say that an interesting premise can carry a sci-fi or fantasy movie, and you can maybe get by with bad acting and a bad script, and all of that. With comedy and drama though, those things have to be pretty tight or the results will just be dire.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

verbal enema posted:

Idk the kid from Lazerblast just sucks as a person so much

Lazerblast is so weird because like Jungle Goddess most of the characters are assholes. lovely things happen to lovely people the movie.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I've been trying to watch Season 13, but that Santo movie is a pretty brutal watch for episode 1.i can barely make it 30 minutes in before I'm bored with it.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 10, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My Season 13 update:

I finally slogged through Santo and I'm glad I did because Robot Wars and Beyond Atlantis are pretty pleasurable watches, although the plot to Atlantis makes no sense.

Munchie is an experience. That movie is almost incomprehensible even by lowered rip-off kid movie standards

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Munchie is an all-time great episode for MST3K, as well as being an all-time nadir of a film.

It's a pretty fantastic episode. The movie is just fascinating. Seeing it's a Jim Wynorski film makes some sense out of the chaos, but I think it might be the lowest effort movie I've ever seen.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Did I miss something in Doctor Mordrid? How did the love interest get the amulet and how did the police tie that into all the crimes that were happening?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

The postwar period was really the first time in American history that teenagers were marketed to as their own independent demographic, so the moral panic over roving bands of teenage gangsters was due at least in part to them being an identifiably distinct group in the first place.
I would have to add that the idea that teenagers could spend their days going to school, and then spend their free time just hanging around was fairly new. At the turn of the century that was purely an upper class thing, then was becoming a middle class thing when the great depression hit. Then in the post war period that became the standard for most Americans.

So there was kind of this idea that if the youngsters weren't working good honest jobs they would turn into a bunch of hooligans, or worse, Catholics/Communists

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Xotl posted:

If I was to pick one episode from the most recent season to get a good feel for it and at the same time actually enjoy myself, which would you recommend? I haven't seen anything from it yet.

For a contrarian take, unless you find luchadore movies intrinsically funny, I found Santo to just be tedious. Munchie is a pretty special episode, but not really representative of the season. I say just start with Robot Wars, then eventually circle back to Santo

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

Personally I couldn't stand Robot Wars. Too much casual racism paired with a hugely unlikable protagonist. If you're skipping Munchie for being "too special", then you might as well jump straight to Doctor Mordrid if you're not going to watch Santo.
Unlikable protagonist is a selling point for me. He's a racist dickhead. They don't even bother developing the romance storyline, so the love interest hates him for most of the movie until they are just suddenly together. Bad special effects. I think it's a pretty good movie for riffing.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Joe Don has a legitimate grievance about Final Justice. There are a lot of jokes in that episode about his looks that come of pretty personal and man spirited.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I can see myself as a TV exec being pitched and sold on San Francisco International,. Then being profoundly disappointed by the final product, especially the silliness of the b plots.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Daniel Bernhardt has done a ton of work with fight choreography. He was also in the Matrix movies.

The guy looks like he should be Jean Claude Van Damme's stunt double, and I just learned he replaced him in the Bloodsport sequels.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think 60s and 70s sci-fi as a whole is characterized by interesting ideas that were executed awkwardly. So for me pretty much all of this movie are at least interesting to watch.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think they really missed an opportunity by not having the Gizmoplex be a streaming service for curated bad movie content in addition to hosting MST3K. Sometimes Netflix will have stuff, but it's pretty sparse and difficult to find. Prime has a lot but most of it is shockingly poor quality (both the quality of the transfers and the movies).

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If you want bad movies on streaming then to Tubi you must go.

From what I've heard Tubi has the same problems as Prime

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Apparently "sidecarcross" is still a thing, mostly in Europe, but it's weird how there was once a California Sidehacking League or whatever it was called and now the only artifact of its existence is a terrible movie getting insulted by a puppet made from a lamp.
When I was at the gym last week FIM World Championship Sidecarcross from Estonia was playing on the tv. It was kind of interesting and not interesting at the same time. One sidecar rider got thrown from his bike.

None of them were nazis near as I could tell.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think I'll never get over how dour of a movie Laserblast is, more so than High School Big Shot really. Billy gets possessed by a space amulet and delivers justice to a bunch of assholes. And his reward is to get blasted by some aliens who never should have let him get the amulet in the first place.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I read something from Siskel or Ebert once where they went into detail of that kind of trading style. Essentially they're rating the movie on what it's trying to accomplish rather than a flat rating system for all movies.

So Bikini Bimbo Massacre and Schindler's List can both be 5 star movies but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

nah, cut the softcore scenes and you'd wind up with a 75 minute TV-14 movie

You cut the softcore and you get 30 minutes of people flying around in planes 10 minutes of inexplicable action scenes and 0 reason to watch any of his movies.

As an aside I would probably watch somebody doing a drop dive in his movies. It's kind of wild, he uses the same actors a lot, sometimes they play recurring characters, other times not. But the agencies and places are almost always the same.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 4, 2024

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was going to say that The Bubble is the worst movie that they've done on MST, but I'm not sure that actually qualifies as a movie. I have questions, like What? and Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sardonik posted:

An ending?

It's like the entire movie happens off camera, why should the ending be any different?