Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Project Moonbase has two of the better theater visual gags, with batman style punch effects in the commando cody short and cuecards in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Really, the main writing thing I'll miss is the constant midwest references, enough of my pop culture references LA life as is. I have no fear that Elliot Kalan will do a good job, because the Flophouse is amazing.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm almost finished with my complete re-watch and last night was Squirm.

Well, uh, okay.

(squirms)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I hope they get a good moral panic/teen issues movie in the new season.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah Joel was a successful touring comic that did sets on Letterman, SNL, and other stuff during the huge 80s stand up boom. He almost had his own network sitcom but instead got remarkably disenchanted and burnt out by LA and moved back to Minneapolis.

Mike's last gig was TGI Fridays.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I think both Kevin and Bill tried to ape their predecessors initially, but then both obviously got much better. Bill's trial by fire learning how to be a puppeteer was also a bit fraught, since you can tell in Revenge of the Creature he's not quite gotten the hang of it yet.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

It's a good list but Red Zone Cuba should be higher. That and Skydivers are favorites.

Beast of Yucca Flats is a slog though.

We're aligned exactly on Hobgoblins though. I love that riff and it's an easy watch. Always confused by those who couldn't tolerate it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I can't remember - did the original Mads ever actually refer to their scheme as "Mystery Science Theater 3000"?

Joel refers to the theater as it once.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

If we're talking underrated episodes, I always felt that Riding With Death should be on more people's lists.

Many years ago I watched it with a group of friends including one brand new acquaintance whose name was Ben Murphy.

We were howling laughing. "Lucky guy, he's about to find out I'm Ben Murphy."

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

On the topic of relatively good movies, I really enjoy Danger: Diabolik. The DVD of it out now is a different dub too, which has some better performances/dialogue (iirc, I don't think it has "Is that stud...coming?")

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Rifftrax is super hit or miss for me. It seems like sometimes they're just bored as hell with the material, and sometimes they're fascinated or enraged.

Some of those hits though--- Twilight, Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny, Setting Up A Room...

Their shorts are usually a sure thing.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Anything that isn't the screechy voice Josh used in the first half dozenish KTMA episodes for Servo is unacceptable.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

I'll warn real quick though that the opening host segment is exposition-heavy, and in my opinion a little rough, but hang in there. Once they get into the theater for the first time it's smooth sailing.

Joel kept mentioning this before the screening, so he's also aware it's pretty kludgy.

The rest is awesome though.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Uh I too am watching Cry Wilderness in the wee hours and what a delight. I enjoyed Reptilicus but this feels like vintage mst.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Time Travelers was a nice solid B episode of MST3K. The movie was like a middle of the road TOS episode, and the riffing was good not great.

I really like that they're using good prints for the movies this time around, it's cool to see something that looks generally pretty sharp.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

It always seems like Mallon was the fellow that the cast had the most anger towards.

If this keeps running I'm sure that Mike will eventually get over it and make his cameo same way that Tom Baker eventually did for Doctor Who.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

remusclaw posted:

From my limited understanding, they didn't commit fully to writing before riffing until the second season or so. KTMA is way harder to watch than season 1. There are episodes of it with Joel in the theatre alone.

Season 1 was mostly written, Josh was chafing at it though. They clearly didn't have a thought out system for writing or how often to put jokes in until season 2, though really season one picks up slowly as it rolls along.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Joel/Mike & the bots weren't nearly as active in the theater as Jonah and the bots are, right? Even excluding Servo flying around it seems like they're doing more while watching the film. Which catches me off guard because I tend to ignore the silhouettes when watching the movie.

The height of screen interaction in the original was probably in the first season, what with them putting their hand over a person singing's mouth and it muting, and Joel putting up "BANG" and "POW" signs during a fight. It never got that involved again, probably because they were a pain to set up in real time for one gag.

Since now it's not all being shot in one continuous take with them in the theater, there's nothing stopping them from goofing visually.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Holy wow those Wizards movies were amazing. Two favorites of the season so far.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

There's also 4 minutes of kickstarter credits that eat into the runtime.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I love Manos and have seen it with MST/Riff multiple times and I sat in a theater and saw the unriffed remaster and cackled the whole time. I love the movie, it's just so hauntingly inept.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

It's going to take a couple watches before I really land on which episodes were my absolute favorites this season, especially because I'm pretty sure the excitement over NEW probably fogged up some of my opinions.

But the Wizards movies and Cry Wilderness are definitely up there. I really enjoyed Yongary too.

Frankly the only episode that has kind of missed for me was Starcrash, just because it felt like they couldn't do anything to make that goofy movie funnier. There were some good gags in there, but it kinda fell flat for me.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

"Sam, my papers are at a slight angle."

Unless they crop them down nu-MST3K most likely won't do any of those terrible TV pilot movies and that's too bad because they were often so perfect.

I've probably watched Eegah and Hobgoblins the most. I probably wore the VHS out on both from rewatching in my youth.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I feel fairly confident in guessing they're not going to put black bars on the side for 4:3. It's far more likely that they'd crop the movie down (as, you point out, they already have).

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Bridget and Mary Jo's rifftrax are excellent. It's kind of refreshing to watch one where it just seems like two laughing close friends just messing around. They feel a lot looser, which is a good alternative to the laser focus timed riffs of the new show (which I also love)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I like Reptilicus ok! It's definitely a B, but it's got some solid jokes and an all timer song.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I don't know why Starcrash doesn't work for me as an episode. The movie is just loving exhausting with all the constant insanity that it throws at you. I would have thought that was a good thing, but it just doesn't work for me, neither as a good-bad movie or the riffing for it (though, there's some great gems in there).

I love the back half of the season, starting with the Herc movie.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

On paper it's the perfect MST3K fodder though. An italian star wars ripoff made with 5% the budget, a robot with a southern accent, a mincing villain, a hero who constantly receives brand new superpowers that we've never heard of, Christopher Plummer, and David loving Hasselhoff!!!

I was really looking forward to seeing it, and boy oh boy was it a bummer.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Avalanche grew on me a lot. I think also I got tired of the sheer volume of monster movies.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

If KTMA counts I’d add Phase IV as another good movie. Directed by Saul Bass! C’mon!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Mitchell is funny but I hate the sound quality of the movie and it throws me every time.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Moon Zero Two for me is a total sleeper. People single out a lot of the other back end of season one episodes, but this one always worked for me. I think its likely because it's a pretty painless movie. It's just dopey.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Moon Zero Two, Phase IV, and Danger: Diabolik are probably the MST3K movies I enjoy the most as movies.

I also didn't mind Space Travelers that much.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Joel tossing it to footage from his earlier turkey days throws a real contrast to today's, where he's just winging it without much prep.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

This has been said and I’ll reiterate— this is far more confident and well paced than last season. The host segments also look better.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

The only thing missing from “Lords of the Deep” is Sylvester McCoy popping up and asking what’s all this then.

Thank you! Oh my god - Lords of the Deep is 100% a bad to mediocre Doctor Who episode. A bunch of bland scientists trapped in a base, working for some strange corporation. Really any doc post 3 showing up would make sense.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hey, sorry to bumble in, but I'd like to know what the general thoughts are on season 12. I really enjoyed the last season a lot but it seemed like they had not fully found their footing until the end.

More confident. I like the host segments a little more - they don't feel as weirdly flat and static. The riff pacing is better, and Jonah doesn't seem as nervous.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I really like that this is true in a literal sense.

It really bugged me in the S11 segments how flat the scenes were. As mentioned earlier, the Mike host segments all looked a bit better - Jeff Stonehouse did a lot of interesting things with lighting and moving Cambot around in the scifi era.

They brought in Rob Schrab to direct the host segments this time around and you could really tell that someone with experience in the director's chair was there. MST3K obviously doesn't have a lot of sets to work with, but you can really tell the difference.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The Undead is a solid episode. That teaser with Mike going through some kind of work PTSD is a favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Hell, Agent Double 007/Operation Kid Brother had a soundtrack by the legendary Ennio Morricone.

As does Diabolik. The score for that movie is spectacular.