Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I thought the timing of the riffs in Beast of Hollow Mountain wasn't quite as good as in the previous two episodes. We don't know the order in which these were filmed aside from Reptilicus being first and Yongary coming sometime later, but I'm going to guess this is one of the earliest ones they did. The movie's bad in kind of a novel way, though, and it's still a pretty good episode, all things considered.

Starcrash is the first episode of the season that feels essential, I think. You can tell the cast has a lot of affection for the film, and it's kind of hard not to feel the same. It seems like it was written and directed by a precocious 12 year-old with a closet full of action figures, and it's visually striking in a really tacky sort of way. (The aesthetic isn't exactly Star Wars, but more Star Wars-themed disco.) Loved the whole "naming the spaceships" bit, and props to the cast for pulling off a song skit in the theater. I think this is going to be remembered as another classic "fun" MST3K episode, like Pumaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
They've never shown any indication toward wanting to do this, and I think it would probably be unpopular with a lot of MST3K fans, but I'd wish they'd go farther back in film history. I've been reading this site a lot lately, and it seems like there's a whole lot of unmined bad movie gold in the early talkies.

Mokinokaro posted:

Starcrash feels like someone tried to mix Star Wars, Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

It's like Corman films in that you can tell a lot of heart was put into it but they didn't have the budget or talent to pull it off. Those are the best b movies.

All of the dialogue is so bad, and the funniest part might be watching Christopher Plummer struggle to give his clunky lines some gravitas.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 22, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Egbert Souse posted:

They should do The Great Gabbo, if they want to get into really old stuff. It's a terrible early talkie with Erich von Stroheim as a ventriloquist.

I posted it earier in the thread, but Just Imagine is my dream "really old" MST3K film. It's an excruciating sci-fi comedy about life in the far-off year of 1980 that turns into one of those "sexy alien women on Mars" movies that would be all the rage in about 20 years, and stars a guy then-famous for his Swedish ethnic stereotype character. They'd have to edit it significantly for length (it's thickly padded with irrelevant musical numbers because holy poo poo, SOUND), but I think it could still work.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I haven't watched the episode yet, but it's apparently reused footage from Deathstalker.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Up through The Land That Time Forgot now. This seemed like it was going to be a weak episode—for about the first third, the movie wasn't bad enough or interesting enough to strike me as MST3K-worthy, and the first intermission sketch was lousy and went nowhere (but it's pretty obvious that this is where that Jack Black as Captain Beefheart cameo was supposed to have happened). It got stronger as it went on, and I have to echo the praise for Moon 14 Dinosaur Barbecue—that was my favorite skit of the season so far, and had the inspired lunacy of vintage MST3K at its best. Also loved the "down periscope" running gag, and that we finally got a sketch that explored the new Crow's character a bit. This was the first time I noticed his eyes' motionlessness to the point that it was distracting, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 28, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The Loves of Hercules: I thought after Reptilicus and Beast of Hollow Mountain I'd probably seen the worst monster effects this season had to offer, but uhhhh, how 'bout that hydra fight? The movie was hilarious, but I didn't feel like this was a particularly good episode for the riffing or the sketches, and it still feels like they can't figure out how to end a sketch at least 2/3 of the time. It was kind of amusing that over the course of the whole episode there were maybe two or three jokes that drew attention to the obvious regarding Jayne Mansfield. That must have taken an extraordinary amount of willpower.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Getting that reference in Time Travelers was almost enough to make me glad that I watched Lost.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's been a long time since I've seen that episode, but I still crack up thinking about the worst attempt at a British accent I've ever heard. "Aye'm from Ayengland!"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yongary was another really good episode, rivaling Starcrash as my favorite of the season so far. The timing of the riffs is the best it's been all season, and I can't even recall one spot where they crammed in two or three jokes where one would have sufficed. Like, if this were the first Season 11 episode you watched, you'd have no idea what people were complaining about. The skits still miss more often than they hit, but I liked the one with Jonah and Crow talking about the musical tastes of famous astronauts.

Now, onto the episodes Joel was calling "the long dark night of the soul." I can't wait.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Eegah is where we get "Watch out for snakes!" A teenage girl shaves a thousand-year-old inarticulate caveman while her father watches. The protagonist is more Archie than Archie and that's not a good thing. Eegah is a pretty amazing episode.

I'm not sure if I have a single favorite MST3K episode, but if I did, it would probably be Eegah.

Roxy: WHEEEE! WHEEEE!
Servo: STOP SAYING "WHEE"! NOBODY SAYS "WHEE"!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yeah, Catalina Caper's not one of my favorites from Season 2, except for it being the episode where Kevin Murphy really made the Tom Servo character his own. Also that episode was a much bigger deal back in the tape trading days because it was the first one they stopped airing due to no longer having the rights to the film. Now it's just another so-so episode with a good Tom Servo song.

Wild Rebels, Pod People, and Eegah would be my picks for the best introductory episode, but I don't think any of those are on Netflix right now. But because I started watching during the Joel years, I feel like your first episode must be a Joel episode, and I'd say go with I Accuse My Parents from what they have available, even though the film is kind of atypical for MST3K.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 5, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It just dawned on me that I've never seen Starfighters, and have been confusing that episode with Skydivers for years. I need to remedy this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 5, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

drrockso20 posted:

Which episodes were on that one?

The Crawling Eye, The Beatniks, The Final Sacrifice, Blood Waters of Dr. Z.

Also, I don't mean to bog this down with more Netflix star chat, but I thought it was funny that, for me, Netflix suggests a rating of 4 stars for The Return and 2 stars for classic MST3K. :v:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait stars still exist? I thought they'd switched over to thumbs up/down.

Sash! posted:

Device dependent.

I can't wait to get off work so I can go home and finish Wizards 2. Holy poo poo, this movie.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It eats at me a bit that I didn't get the Gamera set while it was still available for a sane price. But years ago I was fortunate enough to get the set with Godzilla vs. Megalon before the recall. Can't win 'em all I guess.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom: Fun, cheesy film and a decent episode, despite there really only being one sketch that's any good at all, and it's not even one of the better songs they've done this season. I was surprised by how often I was actually laughing WITH this movie, like when Kor gets captured and has a plant lightly brushing against his face the whole time he's tied up.

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2: Somehow worse than the first film by several orders of magnitude. Combine the obnoxious humor of Pumaman, the shamelessness of Angels' Revenge, the budget of The Final Sacrifice, and a lead who wishes he had the raw charisma of Timothy van Patten in Master Ninja, and you have this film. One of the best episodes of the season.

Carnival Magic: This is a more stupefyingly bad film than Cry Wilderness. It might actually be worse than Manos. I can only rationalize it as a film by carnies, for carnies, that was never meant to be seen by the outside world. Was the main romance actually intended to be between an adult man and an underage girl, or is that just what it looked like? Did they really have to give the talking chimp a hoarse, gravelly smoker's voice? I need a shower.

Oh, and for the first time this season, all of the sketches are good and none of them feel like they cut off abruptly. I will be very surprised if either of the last two episodes manages to top this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm Joe Don Baker :(

I see now that you in no way meant to imply this, but I immediately had to go check wikipedia to make sure Joe Don Baker hadn't died.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
My mom got me into MST3K when I was a kid, and yesterday I had the privilege of introducing her to new MST3K. She misses the old bots, but generally seems to really like the new cast, Patton Oswalt in particular. She was laughing hysterically at riffs that I didn't think were particularly great, so it's safe to say the show has retained its multi-generational appeal. :v:

Also after watching Carnival Magic a second time, I have no qualms about calling it one of the best episodes in the show's history. If anything it was funnier the second time around because I'd gotten over the film's sheer sleaziness.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I remember years ago seeing a hack of I want to say Mega Man 3 with Tom Servo instead of Mega Man.

Obvious or not, the MST3K game would have to be a LucasArts-style point & click adventure, and I could see Telltale Games doing it justice. Maybe model the structure/plot of the game after the Season 8 plot with various movie genre-inspired planets, and theater sequences as a QTE minigame where the direction you press determines the tone of the next riff.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I like the Lost Vikings idea too. Mario Party, maybe. Mascot kart racer, ugh.

In any case, it would have to be a very chatty game that allowed for situational dialogue without being repetitive. You all remember the Gex series? There's a great example of this sort of thing done badly, as well as probably the closest thing to a MST3K platformer that ever existed.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
None of the Secret Surprise Film shows are coming anywhere near me, unfortunately, but I'm gonna try to get tickets for the Kansas City show.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I forgot tickets for the Kansas City show went on sale two days ago. Still ended up with pretty decent seats, though. :toot:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
That reminds me, which one of them does the Droopy voice? Jonah?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's not really laugh-out-loud funny, but on reflection my favorite joke from this season might be "Meanwhile, yesterday..." in response to that bizarre cut in Carnival Magic.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 16, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So is Joel participating in the riff itself then, or just Jonah, Hampton, and replacement Servo?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The Kansas City show was a blast and I'm so glad I went. Replacement Tom Servo won me over during the invention exchange, and there was a great Poopie moment later on when his hand came off during a sketch. :allears:

Also it's been long enough since I've seen Eegah that that non sequitur shot with the two lizards just killed me. Holy poo poo I forgot how funny that was.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Davros1 posted:

Finally watched Carnival Magic, and it has now one of my favorite riffs.

"My wife Sarah was killed in a car accident"
"... and they never found the talking monkey that did it."

"Alex, I'm sorry I couldn't save you."
"I could bend you..."

Honestly a top 10 of all time episode for me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

precision posted:

my wife watched the Rifftrax of The Apple while i was at work, and i came home to so many questions

Is that any good? The Apple is one of those rare ecstatically bad movies where I can't imagine riffing adding anything to it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Sash! posted:

It isn't the best riff ever, or even a particularly good one really, but I completely lose it at the USA chant when the chimp is pouring the orange juice in Carnival Magic.

That's one of the best moments in Carnival Magic for me too. A chimp pouring orange juice that's "all cloudy like it's got medicine in it" into a dirty glass in a dismal trailer being presented as an inspiring, miraculous moment is just so perfectly ludicrous.

The riffing for Carnival Magic is so pitch-perfect I didn't even find myself wondering if it might have been done better with the old cast. As much as I liked the new season, that was an unfortunate recurring thought I had throughout most of the episodes (especially Cry Wilderness).

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 19, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I was honestly surprised they riffed a movie as well-known as Starcrash this past season. The last time they did such an infamously bad movie (where they weren't a contributing cause to its infamy) was probably Robot Monster back in Season 1.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

TL posted:

Josh’s Servo never did a lot for me, but he was one of my favorite parts of Cinematic Titanic. He’s such a funny, talented guy, and it’s a shame MST3K didn’t work out for him as well as it could have.

Season 1 -> Season 2 was the most dramatic jump in quality over the show's entire run, and I think that was like 80% due to going fully scripted/increasing the number of riffs and 20% the switch from Josh to Kevin. We just didn't get to see Josh in a more polished show until Cinematic Titanic.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I can't help it, I'm just weirdly uncomfortable with the voice of Gex writing for MST3K.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I missed this set the first time around, and Monster A Go-Go is just an essential episode, so I'm really happy about this.

Also I still haven't seen Hobgoblins. Yeah, I know.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I couldn't help but notice that only the films for episodes 1201-1204 and 1206 were leaked, and I wonder if that's any indication that 1205 might be a shorts episode. If they were going to do something like that, it seems like the perfect place in the season for it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

SirPhoebos posted:

The only host segment I actually disliked was Joey the Lemur

It's completely nonsensical, Joel flubs his lines multiple times, it's placed in the episode before the thing it's even referencing, and the animal in the movie isn't a lemur—it's a kinkajou. I can't help but love it just for the sheer absurdity.

Funny or Not Funny Floating from Rocketship X-M (shown again in Hellcats) was my favorite host segment when I was a kid, and might still be.

"Uhh... you keep meat in this."
"Your mouth?"
*ding*

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
St. Louis show was excellent. The game show gimmick wore kind of thin, and Joel's mic was a little bit too quiet, but overall I thought this was much stronger than last year's Eegah show. A big part of that might have been the movie being totally new to me, and it's an exceptionally goofy one too. Biggest audience laugh of the whole evening was probably at a line they didn't even need to riff on.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think a lot of passion went into Carnival Magic—the film has no reason to exist if it didn't. It's just sleazy, unsettling carnie passion.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Women of the Prehistoric Planet
Hellcats
Swamp Diamonds
The Brute Man
Squirm
Yongary

Swamp Diamonds is a really good season 5 Joel episode that no one ever talks about.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Hikeeba?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yeah, The Brain was really too good to not end up an episode.

Still hoping for black & white films, made for TV films/failed series pilots, and shorts to return to the MST3K repertoire at some point.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 17, 2018