Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I wonder how "blue" the new MST3k will go. I'm guessing not at all (which is fine) but maybe to the level of the MST3k movie with the occasional 'poo poo' thrown in.

I remember Joel saying that he wants kids to be able to watch this with their parents, which meant he didn't want to litter it with R-rated riffs. He felt more comfortable in a zone where it was mostly family-friendly with a little subtle edge that would safely go over the heads of younger viewers.

I think this riff from...I wanna say Agent for H.A.R.M.?...represents how far they'll go:

Beautiful woman: "Are you coming? Or do I sleep alone?"
Crow: "Yes, and yes!"

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I'd like to see Foodfight as a Rifftrax Live event personally. If only because then they can give it the R-rated teardown that loving piece of poo poo deserves.

I don't think that's gonna happen; Mike doesn't necessarily like to work blue either. He and the guys will crank it up for Sketchfest because it's an older crowd of comedy nerds, but I suspect they like to keep things clean at RT Live-branded events for the sake of the families who might be watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm watching Monster A-Go-Go for the first time.

Not ten minutes into this movie and Joel and the crew are beating on it like it owed them money. This is beautifully savage.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Time Dissolver posted:

I love that off the cuff quality where the jokes don't even have to be jokes. Even just a withering sigh at the right time can be gutbusting. I hope the writers of the MST3k revival can see that and find a way to recapture it because Rifftrax sure hasn't. It's okay but you can feel every riff being pitched, honed, approved, rehearsed, etc.

You know, I was wondering why Rifftrax felt so different from MST3K and I think you nailed it. I love RiffTrax all the same, but gently caress if it doesn't feel stiff at times.

In RT's defense, there were a couple of movies they did that capture that playful, off the cuff feel of original MST3K riffs; Fun in Balloonland comes to mind immediately. Once they hit the parade there's a feeling that they're just as much a part of the ride as we are.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Trace's and Bill's voices both fit Crow so equally well. I definitely think I will get used to the new guy too, from what little I have heard. New Servo is a drastic change but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

This might help.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh my god, what if they did Boys Beware?!

On the off chance you haven't seen it, it quite plainly states that homosexual=pedophile. It's soooo wrong and dark but in the right hands it could be loving amazing.

That's the kind of thing you'd want Frank Conniff in the room for. His wry lefty brain against that movie would result in some sick-nastiness.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Joe Don Baker had a GREAT small role in Mud as a local big shot looking for revenge against Matthew McConaughey.

Mud is actually pretty drat awesome in general and worth checking out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Progress Island USA for sure. Unfortunately it happens to be attached to the episode that has one of my least favorite shorts, Money Talks. Even riffed, all that condescension is painful to go through.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Command Ant posted:

Joel mentioned in Soultaker that Crow must've changed his bowling pin, so it'll probably be something along those lines.

My guess is that since the Sci-Fi run ended with the SOL crashing back to Earth and Tom and Crow moving in with Mike, Jonah's gonna build a new Tom and Crow from Joel's blueprints.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

monster on a stick posted:

Welp.

At least they have noted comedy writer Felicia Day.

They have Elliot Kalan (former Daily Show head writer and, more relevantly, co-host of The Flop House podcast) as their head writer, and they have Paul Chaplin pitching in from time to time. It's not going to be the old show but it'll probably be fine.

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?

I had heard of MST3K from Space Ghost Coast to Coast and from my random poking around on the internet, but I never knew how to watch it. One night, I'm channel surfing, and I somehow luck into turning on Sci-Fi Channel the exact second "Revenge of the Creature" had premiered. Literally: <click> <drum lead in> "In the not-too-distant future..." "Oh cool, I finally get to see what the deal is with this Mystery Science Theater thing!"

I actually remember the exact riff that sold me on this show: "Riss off, ruster."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

monster on a stick posted:

Now I want to see a version of MST3k with Space Ghost, Zorak, and Brak.

Thanks for making me sad.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TVs Ian posted:

It looks like it'll be on the Pluto TV service, so there's an app for Roku on that one. I know there's an iPhone app too, so there's probably an Android one that'll work with Chromecast.

It could be on Youtube also, but on their site they just talk about Pluto.

No, the site confirms it in small print, they'll be streaming via YouTube.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TL posted:

I think the best we can hold out hope for is some sort of trailer.

That, or a look at the new title sequence.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
It'll also be available via MST3K's YouTube channel.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Is it weird that I think Vadinho's cool?

Also, "HA HA HA HA NO YOU LOOK GREAT"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rirse posted:

They mocked another movie on Rifftrax called Bahama Triangle that had him playing one of the ship crew. They of course make a lot Puma Man jokes at him.

Oh I'm definitely putting a pin in that one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did you sign Cheri's birthday card?

fake edit: I love how the wormy guy tells the mutineers he's going to turn them in right in front of them. Good thinking!

RIP HIS BAND UNIFORM! THEN HE'LL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kalensc posted:

Is there a particular episode you'd suggest for introducing someone to the show, when you know they're a bit nonplussed on riffing in general?

My girlfriend has enjoyed podcasts like We Hate Movies on occasion, especially when they're being clever or quipping puns. I know she'd enjoy the robots and the friendly dynamic of their riffs and host segments, but getting her hooked on a full episode would take an accessible and likable (in that "aw, they're trying so hard" sort of way) movie.

Time Chasers and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank came to mind, and perhaps Pumaman or Final Sacrifice. Anything else jump out as a particularly "charming" MST3K ep for a new viewer?

My first MST3K was Revenge of the Creature, and I maintain it's a great introduction to the series as a whole. The running "Tributary of the Amazon" riffs throughout the beginning are kind of clever in how ridiculous they keep getting, and little riffs like the dog being super attached to his owner ("Riss off, ruster!") and "HE SEEMS TO PREFER HONEY NUT CHEERIOS" had me rolling at the time.

Space Mutiny might work even better, though. 80s movies tend to be easier to get into since that kind of vibe is still "in," so to speak.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Powered Descent posted:

Apparently they're working on a movie version, which will inevitably suck beyond all comprehension. (Might be a good target for riffing someday...)

Spielberg's directing it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here's how far I've gotten:

The Wishing Song posted:

LA

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo, Joel just sent out an update politely scolding people for sharing the links.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

With this confirmed rumor, I suggest we do a simul-watch Saturdays at 7/6c starting April Fool's Day. It just seems...right.

I'd be down.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
APRIL 14, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
To the people who have seen it: How many of you were apprehensive about Jonah Ray? My best friend kinda can't stand him, to the point where she seemed to be seeing red when he and Joel did their bit at the reunion.

I mean the obvious answer is "Yeah, she's probably a lost cause," but that answer depresses me so I'm looking for any glimmer of hope that I can enjoy these new episodes with her.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

InfiniteZero posted:

I haven't seen it and I also have reservations about him but she should remember that at the reunion he was appearing live as the "new guy" for a beloved show surrounded by the veterans who are responsible for the show being so well loved and did fine.

Yeah, she thought he was too "smug" at that show. I don't know what makes her think that way, but I think she's just too tied to the old show (she's ride-or-die for Mike, meh on Joel) to open herself up to a new guy.

Whatever, this isn't a new problem to MST3K. I'm sad I can't enjoy these episodes with her, but I'll enjoy them anyway. Besides, I can't rightfully complain about her hating Jonah when I kinda sorta :siren: HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE!!! :siren:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

rydiafan posted:

Bill wasn't "nothing like Trace" though. Yeah, they weren't identical, but they were similar enough to be two people doing the "same" voice. Like two people playing Santa.

Kevin and J. Elvis, on the other hand, had completely different takes on Servo, so it's apparently tradition for the Servo voices to make zero attempt to ape each other.

Well, the twist of it is, what I've seen of Baron's standup, I've loved. Dude's a loving pisser. So I'm VERY interested in seeing his take on Servo in full action. I'm just going to have to adjust to him.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Joel just sent out a new update introducing us to the voice of the new Gypsy, Rebecca Hanson. This might be her first time in the spotlight; she came up through Second City and has been writing, singing, and doing improv in Chicago for ten years, but I can't find any of her work on YouTube, unless she also dabbles in politics.

Joel also shared some interesting thoughts he had about how Gypsy fits into the new show, and I gotta tell you -- I'm REALLY excited.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm watching The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, as I read that article, and already I can see they got the wrong riff for the movie (it's definitely all the transportation references during the roller coaster scenes). Tch. What do you know about anything, Paste Magazine?

They got the literal wrong riff for another movie. Sue's Vietnam flashback was in Monster a Go Go, not whatever movie he listed it for.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Oh Christ, how the poo poo did I get that confused?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Franchescanado posted:

Love and Bojack Horseman and Stranger Things are essential.

Your mileage may vary with Love (I dig it too). BoJack Horseman takes a while to rev up but I'm evangelical about it (it's my avatar, though I borrowed the text from The Last Boy Scout). Word of warning, though: if you suffer from depression, poo poo might get a little too real. Stranger Things is a popcorn thriller that borrows liberally from Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. It ranges from "pretty cool" to "amazing," depending on who you ask. Don't overestimate it, but don't write it off either.

I also recommend Easy if you're into the whole mumblecore thing, and Sense8 if you want to see something different and bugfuck crazy, though you should give it until episode 4 before you make up your mind.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bicyclops posted:

Black Mirror's third season is as good as its first two and, of course, if you're into Arrested Development, Netflix is where season 4 lives. I think it was okay, and I liked it better on a second viewing.

Oh, that reminds me -- and this is kind of a bold statement, but drat the consequences.

I think Black Mirror's "San Junipero," while not at all representative of the series as a whole, is one of the best sci-fi stories ever, and you can only watch it on Netflix.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Medullah posted:

Don't think it's that bold a statement, I think it's almost universally agreed that it's the best or at least top 3 of the season. :)

Yeah, but see, it's one thing to say "best of that season," it's another thing to say "Time Enough at Last, City on the Edge of Forever, San Junipero."

And those are limited to episodes of TV, I'm talking the whole loving shebang -- which, I rationalize, is insane for what boils down to a relatively straightforward love story. But every time I watch it I think, "Yeah, wow, this is tight, elegant, and EXTREMELY well-acted," and rationale goes right out the window.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 24, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Medullah posted:

Ah, I'm with you though. I cried like a wee baby. Then went on a crusade to get other people to watch the show. "Watch San Junipero first, and then Shut Up and Dance after. You'll go to bed feeling so warm and happy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0i0yTPJBY&t=79s

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
He still had some pretty bad blood with Mallon at the time, didn't he?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WhiteHowler posted:

There is nothing enjoyable about RollerGator, even with Rifftrax trying its hardest to make it funny. It's my only truly regrettable Rifftrax purchase.

Rollergator has one of my favorite Mike riffs, though.

[Baby Gator is arguing about music with the rollergirl who carries him around.]
Baby Gator: "Don't you listen to K-R-O-K?"
Rollergirl: "You mean K-ROCK?"
Baby Gator: "No, CROC! Like crocodile, get it?"
[Baby Gator and Rollergirl laugh]

Mike: "Yeah, I do, but you're an alliga--look, just go to Hell."
Bill: "PLEASE go there!"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Clonus is my unwatchable one. It's just so loving depressing. I got through it and pretty much said "Yeah, I'm not doing that again."

Holy crap, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just started watching the press conference.

I'm converted. Tom Servo sounds great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
THEY BROUGHT LETTERS BACK! :neckbeard:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I usually have liked Felicia Day a lot in whatever she's been in (I really liked the first 4 or so seasons of The Guild eg) and she's fine so far but if I had to pin why she feels "off" I think it's because she's doing too much acting. I guess what I'm saying is she should really just relax!

I guess, but as of episode 3 she's gotten some strong moments. I don't know if "The only preferences of yours I care about are the ones I sell to Google. For data mining." is a strong line on its own, but Day's delivery of it loving destroyed me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bruteman posted:

It's been a year since I did that, they probably do. Or if you have PayPal maybe?

I can confirm that Netflix accepts PayPal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I am proud to live in a time and place where MST3K Can make a bitcoin joke.

Which reminds me, holy hell, I got to hear MST3K poo poo-talk Common Core.