Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What is a Road Trip game?

A Road Trip game is any game where the entire point is to take a vehicle from Point A to Point B. Whether it's to make money, for leisure, as a challenge or for escape, that is a road trip.

That sounds boring. Why play it?

With a game like these there's always a hook. Each game has to be evaluated separately and uniquely, as their natures are totally different. Still, to play a game like this you'll probably need something in the background other than just the game.

How are you going to be playing them then?

It'll be a combination of videos with and without guest commentators and livestreams. Jalopy had a novel way of dealing with the problem with the friendly uncle who'd talk to you, but he was very buggy and had to be temporarily removed.

This'll also be a rather inconsistent thread, since due to the nature of the games it won't be often updated but those updates will be lengthy.

Jalopy is a game about travelling through Eastern Europe. It's one of the most stressful games out there due to the vehicle used in the game. It's called the Laika, but is modeled on the Trabant. One of, if not the most unreliable commercial vehicles ever made, the Trabant was the workhorse of the Eastern bloc from 1957 onwards. Known for its two-stroke engine and its constant breakdowns, when playing this game a lot of attention has to be paid to the specific purrs of the engine so you can gauge its deteriorating condition. Dealing with 1990s Eastern Bloc checkpoints between countries, smuggling goods is the way to make money. This game features an in-game radio with its own soundtrack.

Jalopy Videos:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is one of the most famous road trip games. With pretty much the entirety of Europe modeled, this game is the one that covers the widest scope with the highest quality. Every vehicle you drive is a truck, and you climb from being just a driver to the owner of your own corporation. Set in the modern day, it doesn't seek to capture roads with 1-to-1 accuracy, but rather the spirit of the roads and the nations involved. Drive on the UK's M1, the German Autobahn and other motorways and roads. It's accurate enough to give the feeling of traversing these nations, but it isn't so accurate that it takes days to get places. This game features a radio, but it tunes into actual radio stations.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 Videos:

Dead End Road is a driving horror game. You make a wish at the start, then try to get three items to deliver them to a ritual ground. Unfortunately, by doing so you open yourself up to the forces of darkness and must manage your stress levels in order to avoid hallucinating too much during this night drive. It's not very detailed in its modelling of a car, but the car is the vessel for all horror. It's one of the more interesting horror games and is without a doubt still a great road trip game. The game features a radio, but it is spooky and scary. In this game, you can wish for certain things via a text parser. Post your wish, and I'll try to make it happen.

Dead End Road Wishes:

Desert Bus

Dead End Road Videos:

If I missed out a particularly notable Road Trip game, I may include it in the future.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The first game tackled in this series is Jalopy.
It'll be livestreamed at 18:30 BST, and will continue until 20:00 BST at least. If you missed it, the video is now uploaded to Youtube.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 24, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If I missed out a particularly notable Road Trip game, I may include it in the future.

Desert Bus :colbert:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Hey, cool, I sorta know the dude who made dead end road, and people bullshitting around on Twitter contributed toward the little things in the game. I think. I can't remember what actually got put in or not.

And now...

https://twitter.com/depdrawers/status/756851400701771776

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

No Super Amazing Wagon Adventure? What kind of bullshit is this?!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

This is my only complaint with the thread and also my first Dead End Road wish.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Stream's over, will be exporting the video to youtube and replacing the link shortly.

Tomorrow, at 14:00 BST, there will be a truck, and it will be European in nature, and it will be streamed.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

No Super Amazing Wagon Adventure? What kind of bullshit is this?!

I love the game, but that is most assuredly not being featured in this thread. Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is not Super Amazing Road Adventure. Organ Trail and the new Death Road to Canada might be featured though.

I'm boring, I don't hate myself. Yet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...There's a game about smuggling in a loving Trabant?
Hope there's a minigame where you have to mix your fuel with oil to get something that'll make it a)move, b)not cover the last kilometer of the road with a smokescreen. And that they reflected the fact the gear change lever was operated backwards. Or the fact it brakes like a bobsled. Or that if you collide with a cyclist, chances are pretty good you're get mauled more than him because these things are made from softer stuff than bikes and love to splinter. Basically the only reason this thing wasn't a total deathtrap was that it was next to impossible to get it to sixty. That's kilometers, not miles.

I, uh, have driven one before. Once. Nevermore.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Would you consider playing The Consuming Shadow? It's a road trip to Stonehenge with spooky poo poo happening along the way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Would you consider playing The Consuming Shadow? It's a road trip to Stonehenge with spooky poo poo happening along the way.

The Consuming Shadow is a strange one. I have the game and enjoy it, but unlike Dead End Road the car is but a backdrop rather than its own character. A solid "maybe".

Video's out now, my audio is too low though, which is unfortunate.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Try PS2 Road Trip (aka Road Trip Adventure in EU). It's a CaRPG where you start as a crappy stock car and as you travel across the open world you get wings, jet boosters and poo poo.
One of the things to do there is check in at photo booths scattered across the map for your photo album.

The plot is literally the President (a car) declaring he's sick of being president, so let's have a world racing cup to decide who'll be the next one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Euro Truck Simulator 2 stream has ended, video now available on Youtube.

SelenicMartian posted:

The plot is literally the President (a car) declaring he's sick of being president, so let's have a world racing cup to decide who'll be the next one.

I have the previous game in that series on disc, and will show it off in a video before going onto this one.

Also, Dead End Road accepts Desert Bus as a wish. Video coming tomorrow.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 25, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Back to Jalopy, Trabanting through Hungary and back home.
After this stream ends, the first Dead End Road video will be uploaded.

E: Stream's over, Dead End Road is out.

Jalopy is on sale right now, 35% off, and tomorrow will have a Euro Truck Simulator stream at 21:00 BST/17:00 EST.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 26, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Continuing Euro Truck,
currently in Amsterdam and 100,000 Euros in debt. The only way we can go from there is up, or Grimsby. Also now running a graphical mod, and a mod changing all company names to their real world equivalents.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 27, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
The ritual summoning of Desert Bus was a worthwhile attempt that failed. We will have to attain Desert Bus through other means.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

A glorious return to the Euro Truck, this time with VR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Road Trips are back for Extra Life, including the new My Summer Car, Jalopy, :siren:Desert Bus:siren: and more. 1 PM GMT -> 8 PM GMT will all be My Summer Car/Jalopy, whereas Desert Bus begins at 2 AM (10 PM Eastern Time).

Cathode Raymond posted:

The ritual summoning of Desert Bus was a worthwhile attempt that failed. We will have to attain Desert Bus through other means.

Other means have been successful.

• Locked thread