Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I get kinda sad when people (women as well, but let's face it, there really is a lot more bitter angry guys than bitter angry women) just give in to their negative, angry emotions when it comes to dating. It really fucks people up, and the whole echo chamber aspect of internet subcultures makes it waaaay worse than it needs to be. Most of these people would be much better off with a bit of therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
One time I was into this girl (actually I think we fooled around before this once or twice too) and I told her "Hey I'm into you!", but she'd been seeing somebody else so she said "Well I'm seeing this other guy and I'd like us to be friends."

Man I was upset for the evening, but then I remained her friend and also slept with a few of her other friends too. Man it would suck to be one of those bitter shut-ins who thought that one girl was his only option on earth.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 25, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

subhuman filth posted:

in the media I guess. I've never encountered it, at least not in a relationship context.

Basically what happened is the word itself got popular, and people started making a big deal about what's been happening anyways for a very long time.

Women in their 30 and 40s have been sport-loving twenty-something guys since forever. (And it's awesome; I hooked up with one who'd take me out for sushi and sex me up. She also kinda taught me how to be a good dater too - as soon as I started seeing somebody seriously she backed off and was happy for me, and gave me good advice for dating and also hooked me up with gift certificates and stuff to take mah lady out. A valuable educational experience all in all.)

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, he was thwarted by a door. He was like a living embodiment of the abstract concept of total loserdom. His whole pissy little coffee-throwing tantrums and shooting random couples with an orange juice filled super-soaker were so stunningly inane that it is hard not to read as low-brow comedy.

The best part about his story is that he was so pathetic despite the odds being stacked in his favor. He looked just fine, was capable of putting together complete sentences, and came from a fairly wealthy and successful family. I mean he drove a brand-new BMW and went to a decent school. He could have gotten some therapy and joined a few clubs and done just fine dating.

Instead he decided to get angrier and angrier and because he decided to live in an echo chamber of other loser opinions he couldn't even capitalize on his advantages. Which makes him so much more pathetic lol.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
"Comedians" do suck though. Hanging out with them means listening to them try to "out-funny" each other, and if you tell an amusing story they'll ask you if they can use it in their next "gig". (Gig means enough failure comedians convinced some poor bar owner to host an open mic, but since comedians are broke as poo poo because they aren't funny, they don't buy that many drinks and then after a couple time the owner says 'No More.')

I dated a girl who was friends with a shitload of amateur comics. I would not recommend being friends with most amateur comics.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

naem posted:

they are

I never understood where this gem came from, because I really don't find it to be that true. The girls that are best in bed are usually the cute ones who are able to function in social situations and don't get crazy/clingy with no-strings attached hook-ups.

Same goes for fat girls; I'm not sure where the whole "fat girls give good head" comes from. It's one of those jokes that people started taking as gospel; again, the best head comes from girls that practice and enjoy it. Fat girls usually have problems that probably lead to less hook-ups.

I'm gonna go with cute, sex-positive (or "slutty" but not in a derogatory way) girls for the best sex.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

naem posted:

Being friends with women is a really good way to network with other women and being around women in general increases your chances of "meeting women" fyi

Here is how you can tell if you're a creep or an actual dateable guy:

You hit it off with a girl, and after hanging out with her you ask her out. She says something that alludes to her either not wanting to date at all, or maybe not wanting to date you. "Oh sorry but I'm more looking for friends, but let's be friends!"

If you respond with anger or disbelief, you're a poo poo guy and you probably can't be fixed, and probably shouldn't expect to be in a relationship any time soon.

If you say "Oh yea that's cool. I am looking to date somebody though, let me know if you've got any friends who would want to go out!" or something along those lines, you can probably count on the girl that "Friend-Zoned" you to play matchmaker like crazy. Girls love playing matchmaker.

If she says "Oooh sorry my friends all have boyfriends" then she is lying and never wants to see you again.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 7, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I knew this kid in middle school, nice guy, but awkward. He really liked some girl. He figured hey, I'll buy her some jewelry! Relevant info: dude had some rich uncle or something but basically he had as much spending money as he wanted. He bought this girl a ring worth hundreds of dollars and gave it to her out of the blue.

I told him that was a bad idea, because even as a 7th grader I could tell that was a little strange. He did it anyway. She nicely said 'dude I can't accept this,' was obviously a bit eked out, and said no when he asked her out.

bros spending money on girls will not equal pussy that's not how it works irl

I am not buying a girl anything besides a few drinks before we've had sex. I never understood how people go to dinner with as a first or second date, never mind actually paying for it. (I mean this mostly for online dating; if you know a girl for a while before your first date then yea sure go for dinner.)

I think there was like, maybe one time where I took a girl out and she expected me to pay. It was a cocktail bar too, so the tab was like $75 and she got pissed at me for suggesting we split the bill. She said "Oh I didn't bring any money" and I told her she better go get some. That liar had money after all.

Most of the other OKCupid dates I've been on, the girls were fine grabbing beers and playing pool.

Also I find the guys that look down on first-date sex to be flabbergasting... isn't it objectively awesome that she liked you enough that she had sex with you right off the bat? Some people, man....

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
gently caress that, meals are a gift and I ain't giving no gifts to some girl I just met.

If she doesn't wanna drink booze and laugh at dumb poo poo we weren't right for each other anyway.

SneakyFrog posted:

(this was light and friendly-ish sarcasm)

it seems somewhat dickish.

but :shrug:

If she'd been cooler about it I wouldn't have given it a second thought and just paid the bill, but she was a bit haughty, so as soon as she made her stink-face I was kinda done with the whole thing and told her she needed to split the bill.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 11, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Don't have dinner on first dates. It's too formal for anyone to be really comfortable. Do something fun instead. But holy poo poo goons if you do have dinner then pay for it you tightwad.

Again I'm more talking about online dating; if you've known the person for a bit beforehand before you've gone on a proper date, do whatever you want and pay however you want.

But for online dating, I usually only do drinks someplace casual. The first hour or so of a date with somebody you met online are basically you feeling each other out to see if you're remotely compatible. It's like a pre-date, really.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Pick posted:

an old guy once rented out a restaurant for dinner with me

It was one of my most unhappy experiences, and no one seems to understand how stressful it was :(

Admittedly I don't like s guy to pay a big bill unless I see him as someone I would gently caress in the short or medium term :/

see that's the thing; I actually enjoy picking up the tab for people I'm dating/hooking up with but i think it's weird to just be expected to pick up the whole tab just because I'm the dude. Like, yea i asked the person out but why would a woman WANT me to pay for everything if we obviously weren't compatible and we're not gonna see each other again.

and honestly 99% of the girls I've gone out with that it obviously wasn't going to work out with were the ones to make sure we'd split the check anyways so it's no big deal.

I dunno what my point here is, but I guess I'd say it's kinda weird in this day and age to expect anybody to cover a check just because they were the ones to ask the other party out

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I love how in threads people always attempt to justify why they can't eat the most basic foods like tomatoes or cucumbers, or even mayo on a sandwich.

If it's not a medically diagnosed food allergy, you're a huge pussy if you can't eat something regularly sold at a supermarket.

If you can't handle raw onion or tomatoes your parents failed you badly. But make no mistake, it's still your fault.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 20, 2016

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

generative grammer posted:

All the entitled fantasizing and magical thinking he shows in his manifesto is typical of serial killers so even if he hadn't done his amok run he would've very likely grown up to be Ted Bundy mk. II

Haha no he would not have been the next Bundy. Ted Bundy could charm women into his lovely VW Beatle and Elliot couldn't even get one into his BMW.

Bundy also got himself into a sorority house and killed two girls, unlike Rogers who was stopped by the mere act of nobody answering the door to let him in.

Elliot Rogers was an ineffectual wuss.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Hot girls gently caress funny-but-not-conventionally-hot (or downright schlubby; tons of girls find Seth Rogen to be hot) guys all the damned time, and if you want to believe in leagues and "Too Hot To Talk To" that's totally on you and your depressed, lonely rear end.

The trick is enjoying common ground and making them laugh, versus just talking to them because they're hot. Most women actively root for the guy to not be a creep and interesting to talk to.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

See, people worry that pics of their kids drinking and smoking pot on social media will hurt their prospects in the future, but this is the real sad poo poo that'll haunt a man right here.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Pick posted:

Just for the record, here are some common things I hear:

- You are smart
- You are attractive
- You are good at [activity]
- You are funny

These are decent compliments for a relationship, and things that Mr. "Pretty Good" might say. But it would be nice to throw in a few:

- You bring light to my life
- You make me feel like I could do anything
- I feel like I am better for knowing you
- When I am with you I can see things in a whole new way
- You make me feel excited about the future

And the difference between those kind of statements is significant. The former are affirmations of status. The latter are personal sentiments.

The most I ever made a girl 'melt' (and gently caress the haters it's totally the right word) was just after moving back to my home state, and then losing my job while I was dating this great woman. We were just kind of walking around a nature reserve and she asked me if I was doing alright.

I said something like "You know, this is a big adjustment and I'm not sure how I'm doing, but I'm glad I met you because I'm happy about how things are gonna work out."

It actually felt really nice to be that vulnerable.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
At risk of defending "Mystery" and other old-school PUA dudes, the original point of that stuff was just to find ways to talk to girls and get dates. And honestly if that's all it was, I'd be all for it; talking to women can be overwhelming and it really is a "skill". As in, you have to work at it and you can objectively be good at it.

It's too bad it developed into a weird culture of toxic bullshit, because the concept of awkward dudes banding together and getting good at social practices is actually a neat idea.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

naem posted:

There's physical attractiveness, then there is charisma which is personality based

Steve buscemi rolled a natural 20

Charisma counts a lot, which is sad for the Incel crowd because they can only focus on themselves being unattractive while completely disregarding the tons of guys that aren't that physically attractive but date cool girls strictly by virtue of being fun to be around.

Turns out that having active social life is way more attractive than sitting around feeling sorry for yourself, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
It's silly to think that women can't, in some cases, be as awkward and creepy as their male counterparts, but it's also disingenuous to pretend it happens on the scale as it does with men.

I'm not trying to be sexist or anything, but men have the honor of weird, creepy passive-aggressive behavior being almost a secondary behavioral trait.

• Locked thread