Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Aside from all the "gently caress the NCAA rhetoric", the other reason for having these rules is to make the playing field more equal. It is literally impossible to make every school equally attractive to students (location, history, facilities, etc are all different), but the one thing they can do is make sure the large, storied programs don't simply outspend smaller or up and coming programs. In the 80's some schools actually got into bidding wars over students, offering huge sums of money and gifts (Eric Dickerson got a gold trans am and one school offered him a loving oil well). I suggest watching the ESPN 30 for 30 called The Pony Excess to see what happens when schools offer gifts and money and such. It was still against the rules at the time, but it was also the wild west for a while.

Bagmen still exist, and some of the more talented players get some kind of benefits, but its nowhere close to what they bring in revenue wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Welcome to GBS posted:

I went to the university of Oregon, and the amount of special treatment that is given by the school to the athletes is insane. Anyone who is a part of a NCAA sanctioned sport are all literally a class above all other students. Special tutoring, free clothes and food, anything that can make their college experience better. And that's just what I could notice from the outside.

My question is: if this is all so obvious to anyone who's at the school, how do they all get away with it? The NCAA is supposedly always investigating something around here (and other programs I'm sure) but they never find poo poo.

Tutoring is part of the program. Student athletes put in a ton of time training and traveling, so they are allowed tutors to help with the busy schedule. The only clothes they get are for training and game day purposes. If they resell them, then they get nailed for impermissible benefits and while people are caught all the time, it probably is only a small fraction that are actually caught. Food is a meal plan, and was famously controversial. For instance, recruits could be served bagels, but only one topping could be provided. If you put out cream cheese, that was ok. Put out two different flavored cream cheeses, or lox and capers and that was considered a recruiting violation. Also, the food was strictly dictated to be a certain number of meals per week, which meant sometimes you had athletes going to bed hungry. It has since been changed to allow for snacks and such.

Its all about documentation and self reporting. Every school has a compliance department. If you say "hey we accidentally gave a recruit/player a meal they shouldn't have had" the NCAA is usually fine. But if the NCAA discovers it then its basically like grand larceny to them.

• Locked thread