Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forge
Feb 26, 2006
Interacting with the WA devs has been a breath of fresh air. They at least have a goal in mind and are quickly working towards it. But here we are in AO redesigning the redesign of the redesign. I have zero faith this will release, and if it does it will be released in whatever redesign phase they are currently in regardless of whether or not it accurately reflects their design goals.

We're really living in a pie chart world here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

forge posted:

Interacting with the WA devs has been a breath of fresh air. They at least have a goal in mind and are quickly working towards it. But here we are in AO redesigning the redesign of the redesign. I have zero faith this will release, and if it does it will be released in whatever redesign phase they are currently in regardless of whether or not it accurately reflects their design goals.

We're really living in a pie chart world here.

What is WA?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Worlds adrift

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i came to this thread to laugh at it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I will miss our little lol's.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Lastgirl posted:

i came to this thread to laugh at it

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Albion Online: Unfortunately, there's still not quite anything better

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CubicalSucrose posted:

Albion Online: Unfortunately, there's still not quite anything better

But syphilis still exists...

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
There are a lot of games that are better but you're in the wrong forum.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Comrayn posted:

There are a lot of games that are better but you're in the wrong forum.

Besides eve and p2w archeage what is there?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
if youre looking for good games, i wouldnt look in this subforum

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Don't listen to blazing he's just mad zelda didn't live up to the HYPE (it did). Also there are some decent game, this is just not one.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Your latest albion news.

Farming rework going on currently.

Also there are 133 days until release.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Will I be able to farm 24/7 after the update? perhaps mini games of whacking moles and watering plants?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
No it was all about horses and stuff. Basically they were trying to figure out if it needed a silver sink (they are changing this). So now it won't be a silver sink (HI huge economy change). Now you can use focus on horses and have great than 100% change of a return where as before you had to buy the baby with silver which is why T7 cost $500k beause of the silver sink required to even make it. Now this won't be the case and you can now grow infinite dire wolfs by this change???

Oatmeal looked at some of the gear and said in discord that you would likely be pvping in the farming gear because its so godly. Example, one item has a 10 yard radius 12 second root or some nonsense.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

Yes this is what I posted

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Tie the price of horses to the Nikkei 500 imo

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not as Doom and Gloom as most folks about this game. The game IS getting better every beta. Fame requirements for Crafting/Farming/Weapons/Armor all feel roughly about 'right' now.

You can get to T4/T5 armors/weapons fairly quick, and from there the grind moves up quickly, but unless you're some cutting edge GVG shitlords, wearing top tier poo poo doesn't matter. And let's be honest, the Goon guild in this game is never going to seriously compete for important Black Zone territories so I wouldn't let the grind for it dissuade you from the game.

If you're looking to come in and stomp some moba shitbirds who have never played a full loot drop game before, this is your chance. The amount of truly bad players that run around in their best gear because "lol i can equip it" and die hilariously to T3/T4 groups is astounding. Last beta I had 3 years worth of premium time just from farming idiots in red zones and selling their loot on the AH. This current beta I didnt get as much time in, but the population was out and about in PVP areas more and there was still tons of idiots out there.

Don't burn yourself out on this next beta; there is a greater than 0% chance that they extend release again so don't feel obligated to spend 40 hours the first week building a guild island up just to watch it not get used. CIR will be treating this beta as a practice for actual launch so feel free to come join us and poo poo on idiot pubbies. We're in a middish tier alliance who will be out in the Black Zones claiming territory, but we're not focusing on that this beta for the first month; instead focus will be PVEing to get to higher tiers and small group PVP roams to get everyone comfortable PVPing together. After a month or so we'll see how the Black Zone shenanigans shake out and re-evaluate the plan. Any goons are more than welcome to come stomp carebears and steal their shinies with us.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

That's fair, I guess. Goon burnout and lack of a large enough active group is what drove most people away initially.

Still, would be concerned about overall population dropoff. This type of game isn't fun if you can't find people to fight. Wolves and sheep and all that. For those of us that stayed longer than initial burnout, that's why we all left. It's gonna be way harder to get people to play AO now that they've burned all their initial release social capital.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

wraith_5_ posted:

The game IS getting better every beta.

no it hasn't, it's been getting worse

the infamy system is garbage, guards at zone entrances is dumb, arenas/instanced-pve areas are really dumb

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Ruggan posted:

That's fair, I guess. Goon burnout and lack of a large enough active group is what drove most people away initially.

Still, would be concerned about overall population dropoff. This type of game isn't fun if you can't find people to fight. Wolves and sheep and all that. For those of us that stayed longer than initial burnout, that's why we all left. It's gonna be way harder to get people to play AO now that they've burned all their initial release social capital.

There are still a lot of folks playing the current beta, which wipes in 4 days. I'm not concerned about not being able to find people to kill. If player dropoff in a early beta makes you not want to play the game, then I dont know if anything can bring you back. But for those who DO want to come play, you'll have a very active PVP home you're welcome to.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So far AO is a game about what not to do as Devs. I'm rather sure green knight is somewhere writing a book to chronicle this.

It's not the game I was hoping it would be and it's not the game I thought it would be. Basically the devs changed directions on every aspect of the game except the one that really mattered which was the gvg system.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

wraith_5_ posted:

There are still a lot of folks playing the current beta, which wipes in 4 days. I'm not concerned about not being able to find people to kill.

you're a really bad liar. this is wholly untrue

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

you're a really bad liar. this is wholly untrue

Idgaf if you play or not. I remember we had some cool dudes in the next to last beta who I would enjoy killing mans with again. If they're interested in playing again, but worry about activity because the goon guild isnt going to form, then I'm offering them a place to come kill mans again. If the fun peters out after 2 months again then who cares? You had some fun and already bought the game anyway so you arent out any money. But if they do stick with the July release date I dont see activity slowing down, a final 4 month beta isnt really that long.

If they extend it again, then yea thisnext wipe wil be dead within 24 hours. Definitely a greater than 0% chance of that happening but we'll just have to see. There aint poo poo else worth playing right now anyway.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

wraith_5_ posted:

Idgaf if you play or not. I remember we had some cool dudes in the next to last beta who I would enjoy killing mans with again. If they're interested in playing again, but worry about activity because the goon guild isnt going to form, then I'm offering them a place to come kill mans again. If the fun peters out after 2 months again then who cares? You had some fun and already bought the game anyway so you arent out any money. But if they do stick with the July release date I dont see activity slowing down, a final 4 month beta isnt really that long.

If they extend it again, then yea thisnext wipe wil be dead within 24 hours. Definitely a greater than 0% chance of that happening but we'll just have to see. There aint poo poo else worth playing right now anyway.

this is a lot of words that has nothing to do with what I said

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

wraith_5_ posted:

The game IS getting better every beta.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
the devs consistently make awful choices but it's still a fun game

last beta we all could have had a lot more fun if certain people weren't so intent on sticking to their red zone haven cities

(the people who are trying to pvp don't hang out there guys)

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Suxpool posted:

the devs consistently make awful choices but it's still a fun game

last beta we all could have had a lot more fun if certain people weren't so intent on sticking to their red zone haven cities

(the people who are trying to pvp don't hang out there guys)

^^ This

Get to Black, PVP like crazy. Kill mans, have fun. If this sounds like fun, hit me up we've got a guild for you.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

wraith_5_ posted:

^^ This

Get to Black, PVP like crazy. Kill mans, have fun. If this sounds like fun, hit me up we've got a guild for you.

what guild?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Wish they would abandon the moba PvP control idea for some other capture territory concept. I tried the gvg stuff just wasn't as fun as open world.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

he's from Crimson Imperium Reborn. i think we were allied up with them and Mostly Harmless back in the GSC Boneharbor days

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Keegers posted:

Wish they would abandon the moba PvP control idea for some other capture territory concept. I tried the gvg stuff just wasn't as fun as open world.

The one system that needs an overhaul (e.g., completely deleted) is the one system that they decided to just leave alone after all of these years of testing. Just...lol

forge
Feb 26, 2006

forge posted:

So far AO is a game about what not to do as Devs. I'm rather sure green knight is somewhere writing a book to chronicle this.

It's not the game I was hoping it would be and it's not the game I thought it would be. Basically the devs changed directions on every aspect of the game except the one that really mattered which was the gvg system.

Self quoting 2DCAT.. self quoting..

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i once defended this game on the hill of 'its still fun to kill mans' because it was fun to kill mans at that time. now there's a terrible pvp penalty system ripped almost whole cloth from ultima online and gatherer hand holding protection. they also still insist the moba elements make this game better somehow

this game is bad but if you somehow manage to squeeze fun out of it, i applaud that. trying to say that this fun is the result of any changes made in the last year to 18 months is silly though. ever since infamy and the map rework, what steps they took in the right direction were tossed straight in the bin. the last good changes(tm) was the simple gear tree and removing the gem grind

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

forge posted:

Self quoting 2DCAT.. self quoting..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

playing... albion online

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Blazing Zero posted:

i once defended this game on the hill of 'its still fun to kill mans' because it was fun to kill mans at that time. now there's a terrible pvp penalty system ripped almost whole cloth from ultima online and gatherer hand holding protection. they also still insist the moba elements make this game better somehow

this game is bad but if you somehow manage to squeeze fun out of it, i applaud that. trying to say that this fun is the result of any changes made in the last year to 18 months is silly though. ever since infamy and the map rework, what steps they took in the right direction were tossed straight in the bin. the last good changes(tm) was the simple gear tree and removing the gem grind

The infamy change was complete garbage and still is. Its one of the more boneheaded moves they've done. So essentially PVP in red zones is dead if you want to set foot in Green cities. That said, the PVP has simply moved out to black zones. Black Zone NPC CIties have seen their economies grow because so many more folks are living in them now as opossed to the Boneharbor days. They're also down to 3 Black Zone cities so this should further concentrate the economies.

However, there have been SOME improvements. The UI is a ton better than it was in Beta 1. The grinds are more leveled out than they used to be. Spell/spell indicators look better. Harvesting is easier. The instanced expeditions are kind of dumb, and I wish they wouldn't have added them. But theyre so low level that folks will still venture out once they break past t3/t4/t5. All they've really done is make the grind to T5 that much more conveneient, and honestly grinding to T5 inside a expedition is a slog compared to a dungeon, as it should be.

The disparity between weapons is significantly better, its no longer just a handful that are viable.

The evs have absolutely made some dumb, boneheaded decisions no one can defend, and will almost certainly make more. That said, its a stretch to say the game is unplayable, that there is no PVP, and that the game will have no population in 1 month. There are still mans to kill, you just do it in different zones now.

Also, in before July 17th gets extended. I'd bet a good chunk of change that official launch date gets bumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006
This game has been horrible from the get go and mostly we enjoyed killing plebs so it didn't matter. But not everyone can live in black, its the same issue it's always been and been argued to death with the devs.

Your solution is join my cool alliance and live in black so we can outnumber people 200 to 20. Aka living in black cities. The rate at which you lose gear and the length of time it takes to craft it, is substantially skewed. Thus unless you are almost always victorious in pvp you will slowly lose resources in a black city until you have nothing left. Most goons aren't the hardened pvp heros they think they are and we learned this over the past 14 betas that there are maybe 5 of us who can hack this.

No one has the gumption to hold a GvG territory from a guild with 250 members who poopsock all day and feed resources into 5 people. This is the single dumbest fucken mechanic in any MMO to date hands down. The devs continue to defend this mindset as a system that's fair for guilds of 10 to hold territory thus proving they don't even play their own game.. this is a dumpster fire.

Red zone living is in the dumpster as they continued to not listen and added in the horrible rep system. Now you see hostile counts in the red zones, and in hellgate, and you see names at the side of the screen so good luck ever killing anyone in red. Oh and they removed 90% of the sprints.. so yeah.

2 years ago, 1 year ago, even 6 months ago.. We still could say things like "they said they are implementing this rep system which is totally going to change how this works". "They are going to fix GvG, the dev posted saying they were going to add an open world option for defending against the A TEAM". "They are going to fix PvE and make it great again, they layed out this cool plan". "They are going to create a new map which will take all our feedback into account", turns out its a pie chart. Well the times up and they've done all this poo poo and made the game worse.

132 days until release.

• Locked thread