Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wait so are neutral scout alts now going to be even more powerful due to the rep penalty associated with killing them?

Can you always have neutral alts come along to soak up any aoe and negative rep your targets?

What happens if you get a naked to suicide to an aoe (thereby turning your target negative) before killing a guy? Are you still penalized when you kill him?

Were they smart enough to not let a bug like "kill someone in a duel to reset reputation" through, like they did for flagging in the last iteration?

Can you hide on the other side of some zone transitions if you're negative reputation, allowing you to let prey zone in and immediately attack from behind?

I know you don't know the answers to these yet, just for future reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Also lol at Kim. Still playing.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

He's as insufferable as I ever imagined

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

what the gently caress is the bird doing in their banner image? are there even birds in the game? besides the livestock which don't count

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I haven't watched it yet. Please tell me they blew their annual budget on another LARP video

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I already know what this thread is gonna look like

Week 1: this is better, they actually fixed a lot
Week 2: this is fun, but here are some problems
Week 3: I'm still having fun but it's getting old
Week 4: are you guys still having fun?
Week 5: is anyone playing?
Week 6: game is poo poo

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Some OP materials, I guess:

Data mined list of objects. Not complete but also WIP.
Starter guide from one of the MH guys.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hy_C posted:

Can I play this game on my phone while on the shitter?

nope

another good link: spreadsheet with all item abilities

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

hakimashou posted:

some idiot goon told me to buy this game like 4 months ago and I did

is anyone going to play it when they do their thing in a few days?

yes, a bunch of us in discord are going to play and see how it looks

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

How much larger are the zones? Didn't know that was a thing they were doing and quite like it.

They seem fairly bigger... maybe 1.5-2x? They also put a bunch more dungeons in.

Pixaal's assessment is pretty fair. There have also been a lot of good usability improvements, like shift clicking to move objects between inventories, and the ability to salvage multiple items at once. You can now also study items you crafted for a good return of fame, which is really going to help keep a bunch of the excess off the market. UI changes are good and welcome, but frankly bring the UI to a state most people expect in the year of our lord 2016.

The biomes are a nice change, if only to give the world a better feel. Could still use some improvement, though - they don't have things like mountain chokepoints and important roads that are well traveled that seem like they'd fit the game so well. It's still just a tiled mess of zones that look like an abstract painting or camo pattern on the world map.

IMO the best change has been the unlocking of all weapon types in a given tree at T4. Let's say you want a Polehammer - you get that right when you hit T4 instead of needing to grind through 4.0, 4.1, etc. Also, all medium armor is leather now, all heavy armor is plate, all light is cloth. The tree unlocks just feel a million times more natural than they did last beta, when everyone needed to read a thesis before they got it.

I'll second his comment that PvP penalties seem a little harsh, but let's be honest - that's probably good for player retention. Still, it makes red zones quite a bit less frightening. When I see people in red, I'm certainly not planning to flag up and attack them, because those who do are getting booted out of the area pretty quickly.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sunber posted:

Apparently the ratio of "pvp" zones to not is going to be pretty good though

It is like 50%+ black and red.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Eonwe posted:

really though is the game better

yes. good enough? unsure

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Haroshia posted:

I paid for this months ago while drunk, forgot to install it, and it's been spamming my gmail. So is the general consensus this "FULL PVP GAEM" is actually now a giant carebear shitfest since there's zero reward for PvP and tons of safe zones and guild wars are still MOBA faggotry?

We don't know yet, only day 1. You get to loot people so there's always been a reward and that hasn't changed. The rest of it, we'll report back when we know. Except for the GvG, we aren't cut out for that bullshit

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Haroshia posted:

How can you loot people if there's no incentive to go into PvP zones?

There is incentive: better mats. Red zones and black zones are the only places you can get higher tier mats, and you can be full looted in both. Hellgates and certain dungeons too.

The real question mark is, is their rep system going to be unreasonably punitive and prevent fights from happening even in the red zones?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Diogines posted:

Has anyone who has played Asherons Call or Ultima Online want to compare how it is to Albion?

I played Asheron's Call. They're significantly different, even if you played on DT. Albion has:

- Full drops on death instead of value based.
- No penalty applied to your character on death.
- Separate map tiles across the world instead of one contiguous landmass.
- No experience points to invest anywhere.
- Less handcrafted areas.
- No variability on weapons.

The most similar conceptual element is the classless system. You can do anything and everything if you spend enough time grinding.

That said, if you like pvp and ganking people you'll probably have a good time your first beta at least. I'd probably just do the $30 package though.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Diogines posted:

Is there anything depth or anything interesting about the crafting, or just mindless grinding?

Depends on who you ask. I don't think it'd be fair to call it complex or deep though. You compete to collect materials from nodes around the world (which are now biome based) and then you make items from them. Crafting alone wouldn't be very fun. Gathering's ok because at least it gets you out and interacting.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

FireWhizzle posted:

guys does this game work on my iphone plus yet

this is important

ONLY if you have 3g signal

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yea most of what Kimsemus wrote is out of date now.

Not to say that the game doesn't have its flaws, but it's seen some decent improvements since he's played.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zephyrine posted:

Kimsemus is a notable caller of harsh truths.

I'm all for horde pvp though but not if it's balanced to be "fair" to numerically inferior groups. Is it true that pvp comes down to some elite pvp 5 man champion team while everyone else just farms materials?

In territory capturing GvG, yes. The territory battles boil down to 5v5 "arena" type fights. Otherwise, no. Ganksquads in the open world are the superior force.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zephyrine posted:

I like the idea of gank squads. Sell me on this terrible game.

Everything is going to be reset right and the full game won't be out for a year or so?

Gank squads are fun when you're on the right side of them.

Not gonna try to sell you. If it looks interesting to you, I think it's worth the $30 investment. I would buy in soon though as the most fun time to play is near the beginning of a beta.

The game is due to reset for final release in supposedly 3-4 months, although nobody really knows.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Unfunny Poster posted:

It was still good fun. The grinding to get T4 gear is pretty awful and if you're newly joining just find a buddy to help make it less poo poo because god drat.

And some people think it should be more grindy :negative:

It used to be more grindy. it's gotten way better.

We were musing in discord tonight. The two things we landed on that the game still desperately needs:
1. More things that draw players to a specific point for conflict. Ganks and PvP are fun, but roaming around the map and not finding anyone for 30 minutes is not. The relic chests are a good start, but the game needs more stuff like this. Doesn't need to be for the sake of PvP.
2. More "content" and less homogenous terrain. The map designs feel rushed and uninspired. The game world is made up of a grid of similar zones with no real flavor or meaning to them. I don't think people care that they have to travel long distances, but they do care that the journey is bland and boring.

Otherwise, the game is in a much better place than it used to be. Most of the major systems only need tweaking, not a redesign. Hopefully they stop doing those and just improve what they have.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zephyrine posted:

Where are all the T2 trees?

In the first area I had

T1 stone
T1 skin
T1 wood

The second zone has

T2 stone
T2 skin
T2 metal
T2 cotton(?)
T1 wood

I think I also found some T3 stuff. It wants me to use a higher level pickaxe/scythe anyway

Swamp only.

Desert: leather, ore, cotton
Snow: ore, stone, cotton
Swamp: wood, leather, cotton

Press K to look at the world map. Click on any zone. In the bottom section, it'll tell you what tiers of what resources can be found there.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Last night was a ton of fun. I'd run around as a gank squad every night, honestly

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

nice meltdown

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

When did that happen? Recently?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Rip whoever the player "well into the hundreds" is

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

pixaal posted:

Good early game is fun, bad feels incomplete and has several odd design choices. It will be f2p at launch probably not worth buying into beta. Oh and f2p is kind of more demo, you basically get double everything by subscribing. But you can do that with normal game currency too.

I think they ditched the f2p model. Someone else probably knows more details but I think you're going to need to buy in in some form if you want to play.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yeah definite meltdown

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SI is offering credit for refunds in the form of Best Buy geek squad service. Email kimsemus@sandbox-interactive.com for more info!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Let's merge this game with mount and blade already

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Usenet Magic-User posted:

already happened friend,
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787822

by the makers of mount and blade crpg - a persistent world. Basically you take towns and schedule fights for said towns to take or lose more towns. The persistent world is supposed to start any day now, I'm not in yert because early access kek ect. However it looks like its going to be good as gently caress. I'm also not worried about poor design choices because they literally made the thing that made mount and blade good now they just have to copy it.

yea already playing this but I leave the country for a week literally the day after the Epic comes out, so... guess I"ll miss the early shenanigans

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

How's the game going now that the casual population is more or less gone?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Just one more iterative overhaul and we'll be good.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

my favorite part about ablion online is the playerbase

very friendly and tight knit group of junior game developers

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Blazing Zero posted:

idk it seems to me that this new early access infinite beta model has some legs

stunted, crippled, non-functioning ones

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Frog 1.0 posted:

Official release help with not getting your character reset every 3 months.

The best part of the game

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Shodai posted:

Clearly this will turn it all around.

There's only one thing to do to fix the game. Re. Add. Gems.

I'll explain tomorrow, gotta run to a meeting.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wow, that sharks vs fish comment is dumb as hell.

Also you missed one point, Forge: sharks don't eat fish non-stop for fun, they eat for sustenance. There isn't an "enough" for sharks in AO, it's why they play the game.

I guess game devs will never understand that for gankbox PvP games to thrive they need a thriving ecosystem and for that they need systems that don't focus on PvP. It's kinda a catch-22 that so far no developer has been able to solve. The moment you let someone stomp on someone else's sandcastle they potentially quit your game because unlike real life they can just close the game and walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

A big problem also might just be they are in perpetual beta and not many people, minus the autistic, like to throw away all their time spent with a wipe.

Yeah but when the only fun part of your game is the first month, you can't exactly release

• Locked thread