Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

quote:

“There are parasites in almost every kind of fish,” one of Portland’s top fish purveyors, who sold the infected fish and wishes to remain anonymous, told me. “What I provide is as fresh as can be. It comes straight from the ocean to the restaurant.”

“I don’t eat raw fish because of what I’ve seen,” admitted the fish purveyor, who sells to many of the city’s top restaurants. “I don’t eat sushi anymore.”

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/almost-every-kind-of-wild-fish-is-infected-with-worms

:barf:

urghh. i hope sardines dont live long enough to get all wormy because they're p much the only fish i eat regularly

prob only gonna buy farmed salmon from now on (other than dines)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
that's why u cook the food

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
dont give a poo poo, will still eat because im not a weak bitch

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Fish are fuckin gross, I hope they go extinct.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

jackyl posted:

that's why u cook the food

well the thing is you have to cook fish at 140 f to kill the nematode worms, and that overcooks the gently caress outta fish :(

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im not a huge fan of seafood except like English style fish and chips which might a well be just a big thing of batter anyways

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that's why they are flash frozen. dude who is saying 'i won't eat sushi anymore' is just being a bitch

"sold the infected fish" get the gently caress outta here no food is free from microorganisms unless it is pasteurized

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Fish are fuckin gross, I hope they go extinct.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I was going to make fun of you OP for caring about being grossed out by the idea of little worms while you're eating the dead flesh of a larger animal, but then I read the article and wish I didn't.

You should add to the OP that these worms SURVIVE COOKING AND CRAWL OUT OF THE FISH

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
HEY GUYS

quote:

Food and Drug Administration regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw -- whether as sushi, sashimi, seviche, or tartare -- must be frozen first, to kill parasites.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/nyregion/sushi-fresh-from-the-deep-the-deep-freeze.html?_r=0

Also here's a top sushi chef discussing why freezing fish is actually good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-06j6yyNQ

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
http://www.livescience.com/39649-who-invented-the-microscope.html

Imagine being one of the first humans to see that raw meat had creepy crawlies in it. I can't find a source but I believe it was in a high school class where I learned that when it first happened a lot of royalty quit eating meat which is why they were so pasty?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

weeaboos likely to have brain worms. unsurprising :smug:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

If you want parasites from a fish, consider this:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EorayMel posted:

If you want parasites from a fish, consider this:

A baby whale?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

A baby whale?

Mola Mola aka ocean sunfish

They have a permanently open mouth, and as the largest bony fish, makes it prime spot for parasites.

They like slurping up jellyfish and basking on the surface to make seagulls eat the parasites though!

Green Hill Friendzone
Oct 27, 2013

I like fish. Bring on the worms. YOLO

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

EorayMel posted:

Mola Mola aka ocean sunfish

They have a permanently open mouth, and as the largest bony fish, makes it prime spot for parasites.

They like slurping up jellyfish and basking on the surface to make seagulls eat the parasites though!

Jay says it's a big loving sea turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Vjd_hdYYw

I'll trust Jay.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
So the fish comes with an added dose of worm protein? Big deal.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Well ppl be eating fish for like a hundred years so the worms probs be fine

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

don't eat garbage?

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011

a real jerk posted:

don't eat garbage?

Getting harder and harder in today's world.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Scrumptious! :chef:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
The quality journalism we've come to expect (and deserve) from Vice.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The world is gross most people have already internalized this fact by the time they reach the age of 14. Eat the worms.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

The quality journalism we've come to expect (and deserve) from Vice.

I bet they smoked weed with the fish

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Goddamn dude I think somebody fuckin laced this poo poo. drat homey I'm so high I'm seeing, like, worms and poo poo coming out of the fish.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Give to me the worms, I will eat them.

Green Hill Friendzone
Oct 27, 2013

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I bet they smoked weed with the fish

What you Americans don't understand is that we live here. The worms live here. We open our mouths and eat them. *fish puffs on cigar* They grow inside us, whatever. It is... apart of life for us.
*cue footage of fish in poverty, holding guns*

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

AEMINAL posted:

well the thing is you have to cook fish at 140 f to kill the nematode worms, and that overcooks the gently caress outta fish :(

This is why frozen fish can be served raw. HTH.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Freezing kills parasites.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if a worm started dancing around, how would you be able to tell?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lol when did a HTH filter show up

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

are they just fish parasites or also people parasites. that kind of makes a difference

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

are they just fish parasites or also people parasites. that kind of makes a difference

iirc, the only stuff that is really dangerous to humans is introduced after the fish is already out of the water (ie if it is left sitting in the hot sun in a fish market or something)

so mostly just fish parasites. but again they flash freeze fish that is going to be served raw so it's really not that big of a deal. you can visually see the parasites and worms most of the time too, and they'll just scoop that poo poo out before they sell it (that's why there are chunks missing from the fish sometimes as if someone used an ice cream scooper on it)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Parallax Scroll posted:

Salmonella is little salmons that live in worms

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the sea has always seemed like a hellish place to me

You're just floating around in the abyss and then you have ten thousand things burrowing into you and then you get eaten by some horrific monstrosity

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

parasites, mercury, cadmium, plastic byproducts

fish us full of poo poo just eat it you baby

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Get this, almost all animals of all kinds, including you, have parasitic worms and indeed other microorganisms. It's okay, they're just doing their thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Where are these worms, I want to scoop them out of my body

• Locked thread