Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Do we need to Toxx for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Do we need to Toxx for this?

Good idea, let's do that.

:toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Also, we are on for 7:00 PM ET tomorrow! Looking forward to it. Nomination order is currently set to be randomized, unless someone has an idea otherwise.

Post any questions you have about league format, auctions or otherwise in this thread, I'm happy to help anyone prepare in advance (just don't take my players).

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
:toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Looking forward to the draft, watched a few rounds of a co-worker's auction last week to get an idea of how it works. Are we doing a hangouts group or anything?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

dphi posted:

Looking forward to the draft, watched a few rounds of a co-worker's auction last week to get an idea of how it works. Are we doing a hangouts group or anything?

Probably just the ESPN auction room chatroom, which worked pretty well last year, but if folks would prefer to use GroupMe or Google hangouts, I'm open.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Google hangouts would be good just for the voice chat.

I'm so stoked for the draft. I'm swinging by Tired Hands tonight to pick up more cans of Trendler Pilsner because that seems like a good football beer.

Oh, one question, what happens if you run out of money during the draft?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Google hangouts would be good just for the voice chat.

I'm so stoked for the draft. I'm swinging by Tired Hands tonight to pick up more cans of Trendler Pilsner because that seems like a good football beer.

Oh, one question, what happens if you run out of money during the draft?

The system won't let you run out of money until your roster spots are full, with $1 minimum being automatically held per spot. So if you spend $190 on a few players, you'll have $10/number of roster spots left to go.

At a certain point in the draft, enough roster spots are filled and enough $ has been spent across the board that it just becomes 'nominate and win the player you want for $1' to fill out your last spots. It speeds up pretty quickly.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Once more unto the overreach

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Ugh, I'm way, way behind on research because of work. I've not even been casually following fantasy news or even real NFL news. I'm basically going to be drafting off last year, and it's probably gonna suck.

Teddy Bridgewater #1 QB overall! I feel like that young man is really gonna make huge strides this year.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

I'll also send it out in a more timely fashion this year for fucks sake

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 6, 2016

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Retemnav posted:

Ugh, I'm way, way behind on research because of work. I've not even been casually following fantasy news or even real NFL news. I'm basically going to be drafting off last year, and it's probably gonna suck.

Teddy Bridgewater #1 QB overall! I feel like that young man is really gonna make huge strides this year.

Bridgewater's a lock, but people are pretty excited by Manziel's transformational comeback as well - tough choice there. Romo's always sneaky dependable too.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

So pumped. I've noticed that my 12 team auction was way easier than my 14 team one this year. That extra $400 in the pot really matters. So, I'm excited to see how tooth-and-nail the fight for players will be with 16

Are we going to goonchat or something?

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
:toxx: on myself to put together a 50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

See ya'll tomorrow night! Make sure to be drinking something good.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Are we going to goonchat or something?

Unless someone has a better idea, I'll make a Google hangouts and post the link in here

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

dphi posted:

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
*desperately looks up 16-team auction draft strategies*

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I plan to be out of money by my 3rd player because I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'll win the league anyway because all the fantasy megapoints allstars will get hurt in the first week and I'll have drafted their unknown backups for $1 each.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I plan to be out of money by my 3rd player because I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'll win the league anyway because all the fantasy megapoints allstars will get hurt in the first week and I'll have drafted their unknown backups for $1 each.
Are you ditching your strategy of Draft All Eagles?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah I've never been in a league this large, let alone an auction. Still trying to wrap my head around how to budget for it and coming to terms with the fact that I will probably have to be content starting someone like Braxton Miller :cry:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

dphi posted:

Are you ditching your strategy of Draft All Eagles?

It worked out pretty great last year!

Last year every round someone would take the player I wanted right before my pick and I'd go into panic mode and draft the next available Eagle because I'd rather be stuck with the devil I know. At least this time I can just overpay for the players I want.

But don't worry, I'm still planning on taking a bunch of Eagles this year!

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 7, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I've never been in a league this large, let alone an auction. Still trying to wrap my head around how to budget for it and coming to terms with the fact that I will probably have to be content starting someone like Braxton Miller :cry:

It's going to be total chaos. I advise everyone to drink several beers during the draft to help your jangled nerves.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
It's my birthday, so I get a first round freebie pick right?

I heard good things about Peyton Manning this season.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Avenged posted:

I heard good things about Peyton Manning this season.

He's a superbowl champion! How could you go wrong?

Personally, I'm hoping I get Marshawn Lynch. I'm thinking that Beast Mode is gonna have a great year!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It worked out pretty great last year!

Last year every round someone would take the player I wanted right before my pick and I'd go into panic mode and draft the next available Eagle because I'd rather be stuck with the devil I know. At least this time I can just overpay for the players I want.

But don't worry, I'm still planning on taking a bunch of Eagles this year!

That's the beauty of auction: Someone will never, ever snake the player you wanted. You want a guy,? Get him.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
:toxx: on myself and may I ever be ashamed if I can't put together a lousy $50 box of local beer to whomever I am required .

Can't wait for tonight, got a 32oz bottle of Craft Malt Liquor ready to help me make bad decisions.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Looking forward to drafting tonight!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Picked up a crowler from Great Notion, also drank a few too many glasses while there so I expect to make some Bad Decisions tonight as well. Yay beer!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Golden Road's Wolf Pup, here. Only session IPA that really manages to pack a hoppy punch

GOOGLE HANGOUTS LINK

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/5qx6rkamnfabnkwkzbxkbqea6ie?authuser=0&hl=en

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Golden Road's Wolf Pup, here. Only session IPA that really manages to pack a hoppy punch

GOOGLE HANGOUTS LINK

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/5qx6rkamnfabnkwkzbxkbqea6ie?authuser=0&hl=en

I've been drinking a lot of it. It's so potent for a session.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I'm in the hangout. Tonight's draft is brought to you by Manor Hill Grisette, Union Craft Brewing Old Pro Gose, and Tired Hands Trendler Pilsner.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm boring today, so several Revolution Mosaic Heroes are my poison.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Super loving fun, you guys. I laughed my rear end off. Thanks for having me in the league, I hope everyone has a competitive season

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I completely hosed myself on this draft. There is a definite learning curve to auction drafting. Even with the cheat sheets (which were basically useless) the people who had auctioned before had a huge advantage.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I completely hosed myself on this draft. There is a definite learning curve to auction drafting. Even with the cheat sheets (which were basically useless) the people who had auctioned before had a huge advantage.

Couldn't disagree more(well, actually, I do agree that all cheat sheets proved useless). You have the best wrs in the league and a top 3 TE. You rounded it out with a running qb(rg3) and some high catch volume rbs, to give you a high floor in your b-listers, which is exactly what you want. Your bench is unimpressive, but in a 16 team 7 bench spot league literally EVERYONE's bench is doodoo.

You made a plan beforehand, stuck with it, and rounded out your team expertly. The only way that this auction went badly for you is if you didn't have fun doing it

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Drunk Nerds posted:

Couldn't disagree more(well, actually, I do agree that all cheat sheets proved useless). You have the best wrs in the league and a top 3 TE. You rounded it out with a running qb(rg3) and some high catch volume rbs, to give you a high floor in your b-listers, which is exactly what you want. Your bench is unimpressive, but in a 16 team 7 bench spot league literally EVERYONE's bench is doodoo.

You made a plan beforehand, stuck with it, and rounded out your team expertly. The only way that this auction went badly for you is if you didn't have fun doing it

Yeah, I was mostly just bummed about how the end of the draft wasn't very interactive. I spent too much money early on so I had 3 great players that I spent a ton of money on which limited my maximum bid from that point on to $1 so I just had to wait until the end to round out my team.

If I could do it over I wouldn't have spent so much on Olsen and Decker so I could've added some more value players in the later rounds rather than getting stuck with a bunch of $1 players that may or may not ever actually score any points. I'm mostly concerned about my RBs.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Yeah, I was mostly just bummed about how the end of the draft wasn't very interactive. I spent too much money early on so I had 3 great players that I spent a ton of money on which limited my maximum bid from that point on to $1 so I just had to wait until the end to round out my team.

One of the things I noticed this year is that, due to the growing popularity of internet auction coverage, $1 sleepers aren't a thing anymore. For about 15 years, getting $1 players has been a quite viable auction option, but now that everyone is trying it, $1 won't buy poo poo anymore. As such, I'd estimate 2/3 of people in auctions, this year, leaned on getting $1 players and found out the hard way that this no longer works. So it's not "I hosed up my auction" but rather "An overwhelmingly popular and successful strategy just departed, leaving 60-70% of players in the lurch."

The good news is that you still got a few deec players with $1 bids, which is more than most got. Since this was such a viable option up until this year, It will take a few years for the mainstream curve to notice this and buck a trend that has been viable since the beginning of fantasy football auctions, so you are going to be ahead of the game next year when you don't lean on getting good players for $1, but everyone else is like "look man this has worked for 16 of the last 17 years, so I'm sticking with it!"

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

That was a blast. Thanks everyone for showing up on time, drinking some good beer and rocking the draft!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I really liked the auction format. I'd do some things differently next time around, but I certainly see how you can use the format to your advantage if you know what you're doing. Also I'll learn how to click the nominate button in a timely and efficient manner next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
So...I can't add anyone to my roster BEFORE the games tonight? Waiver's clear 9/9 at 3 AM?

• Locked thread