Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Cervixalot posted:

Doodle poll sent - please fill out ASAP. Please double check the time zone (I think I set it to auto-adjust) to ensure that you are filling it out correctly.

I'm assuming the "1:00 AM - 5:00 PM" options were supposed to be 1 PM to 5 PM and we're not planning on an overnight, 28 hour draft? I've heard about auction drafts taking longer, but that seems a little extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Retemnav posted:

I'm assuming the "1:00 AM - 5:00 PM" options were supposed to be 1 PM to 5 PM and we're not planning on an overnight, 28 hour draft? I've heard about auction drafts taking longer, but that seems a little extreme.

I'm gonna say yes.

Thanks to those who have filled out the poll so far!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So with 12/16 responses, it looks right now like the Wednesday September 7th is looking the best so far, with 9/12 able to make it.

Spacejung, Avenged and dphi - any flexibility with that date?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Cervixalot posted:

So with 12/16 responses, it looks right now like the Wednesday September 7th is looking the best so far, with 9/12 able to make it.

I will not stand in the way

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
e: nevermind

Jota fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 18, 2016

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I can swing it for sure.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for being flexible, guys. Sounds like we have 12 confirmed for Wednesday the 7th, with just dphi and a few others to check in.

Any objections if we move forward with scheduling the draft for that date, at least tentatively? I'll update in the ESPN league calendar, but please let me know ASAP if you absolutely cannot make that date.

All good with 7 PM EST start time, or would 8 work better? Assume the draft will take 3-4 hours.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Thanks for being flexible, guys. Sounds like we have 12 confirmed for Wednesday the 7th, with just dphi and a few others to check in.

Any objections if we move forward with scheduling the draft for that date, at least tentatively? I'll update in the ESPN league calendar, but please let me know ASAP if you absolutely cannot make that date.

All good with 7 PM EST start time, or would 8 work better? Assume the draft will take 3-4 hours.

7 PM is a lot harder for me, because that's 4 PM my time and it's harder to get off work that early. I can still do that, but I sure would prefer 8 PM EST

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

7 PM is a lot harder for me, because that's 4 PM my time and it's harder to get off work that early. I can still do that, but I sure would prefer 8 PM EST

I scheduled it currently for 8 PM EST as I realized that was on the earlier side for PST folks. I'm assuming its easier for most to start later rather than earlier?

Most of the league is on EST, so I'm hesitant to push it too much later, but we could look at 9:00 EST. Thoughts?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Ugh, I've actually got another draft scheduled for 9pm EST on that night. Was hoping to swing it with minimal overlap if this one started at 7pm EST, but if we move it up much more that's going to be really hard.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

Ugh, I've actually got another draft scheduled for 9pm EST on that night. Was hoping to swing it with minimal overlap if this one started at 7pm EST, but if we move it up much more that's going to be really hard.

Why did you click "available" on the "8-12" time period when you had another draft at 9? There must be something I'm missing here.

Anyway, I don't want you to miss a draft. If it's the only option, I can do 7 EST.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 19, 2016

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Cervixalot posted:

drat, you'd think having 4 days off every other week and 3 days off the rest would make it easy but I guess not. Put me down for a yes, I'll see if I can get the time off work or find a surrogate if not.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Why did you click "available" on the "8-12" time period when you had another draft at 9? There must be something I'm missing here.

Anyway, I don't want you to miss a draft. If it's the only option, I can do 7 EST.

Well, there were doodles going around for the other draft at the same time and it hadn't been finalized yet. I didn't realize that both leagues had decided on the same day and nearly the same time until today. Sorry about that.

I'll recruit my wife to manage the first few rounds of the other draft if need be, but if we can keep this one at 7 without screwing up your situation too much that would be cool.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

If we still have a few conflicts or tough to manage days, let me look at some backup options - I think there were a few other pretty good days. I appreciate everyone's willingness to be flexible.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

Well, there were doodles going around for the other draft at the same time and it hadn't been finalized yet. I didn't realize that both leagues had decided on the same day and nearly the same time until today. Sorry about that.

I'll recruit my wife to manage the first few rounds of the other draft if need be, but if we can keep this one at 7 without screwing up your situation too much that would be cool.

Yeah, it's tough trying to juggle multiple unsettled league times for sure. I have four leagues this year, all auctions, and I just had to pray they each fell on different days.

It's cool, my wife is also surprisingly awesome at being understanding about my fantasy schedule, and will take off work an hour early to watch the kids so we can do 7:00.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Y'all need to go to fantasy addiction camp for your fantasy football addictions. I'm good anytime after 6 pm EST on the weekdays I marked.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So still tentatively sticking with Wednesday the 7th at 7 or 8 PM EST. Seems like our best bet with the most folks available, and hopefully we can figure out which time works best for everyone, chime in if you have an opinion/preference.

One backup option:

Wednesday the 31st we also had 9 people check 'yes', so if Mikey Purp,
Spacejung, Avenged and Retemnav can swing that date, we could shift. Let me know what you guys think.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I'm basically good any Monday or Wednesday.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I won't be able to do the 31st, but can still do the 7th. Sorry for being a pain, dudes.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

So still tentatively sticking with Wednesday the 7th at 7 or 8 PM EST. Seems like our best bet with the most folks available, and hopefully we can figure out which time works best for everyone, chime in if you have an opinion/preference.

One backup option:

Wednesday the 31st we also had 9 people check 'yes', so if Mikey Purp,
Spacejung, Avenged and Retemnav can swing that date, we could shift. Let me know what you guys think.

I'm confused. By my count at least 14/16 people can do Wednesday the 7th. That's pretty amazing, getting that many people together. So under what circumstances would we need a backup date where only 9 people have said yes?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm confused. By my count at least 14/16 people can do Wednesday the 7th. That's pretty amazing, getting that many people together. So under what circumstances would we need a backup date where only 9 people have said yes?

Since it sounds like Mikey Purp can swing the 7th, we're going with it. Locked and loaded. Nevermind what I just said.

Now, what fun ways can we devise to determine nomination order?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Since it sounds like Mikey Purp can swing the 7th, we're going with it. Locked and loaded. Nevermind what I just said.

Now, what fun ways can we devise to determine nomination order?

How about alphabetical by team name but with an exciting twist: We do it in reverse alphabetical order?!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
So is there a good link that covers the basics of auction drafting, specific to how ours will go? I know there's a lot of info out there and I get the gist of it, just looking for something recommended by you guys.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

So is there a good link that covers the basics of auction drafting, specific to how ours will go? I know there's a lot of info out there and I get the gist of it, just looking for something recommended by you guys.

Here's the best one out there, in my humble (but with 16 years of auction experience) opinion:
http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2016/preseason/fantasy-football-auction-draft-strategy

As for "specific" to how ours will go... there's no way to know the specifics. Obviously you can do a espn mock auction to learn the procedure. However, there's no way to predict what people will throw down when we actually belly up to the table on September 7th. That's the beauty of auction.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The best advice I can give for Auction Drafts is to be flexible. It's good to be prepared in terms of knowing how much you want to pay for specific players by putting together a cheat sheet, but once the draft starts and market value starts setting in, you may have to adjust your strategy depending on how things play out.

I believe FantasyPros has some standard cheat sheets that you can work from, and BeerSheets are always great as well.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Drunk Nerds posted:

As for "specific" to how ours will go... there's no way to know the specifics. Obviously you can do a espn mock auction to learn the procedure. However, there's no way to predict what people will throw down when we actually belly up to the table on September 7th. That's the beauty of auction.

I just meant in terms of drafting rules, etc. Wasn't sure if there were different ways to do auction drafts or not so I didn't want to read a guide that wasn't as applicable. Thanks for the link.

I'm not a big fan of using cheat sheets but I'll probably have to this time around to get a better idea of player values I guess.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

I just meant in terms of drafting rules, etc. Wasn't sure if there were different ways to do auction drafts or not so I didn't want to read a guide that wasn't as applicable. Thanks for the link.

I'm not a big fan of using cheat sheets but I'll probably have to this time around to get a better idea of player values I guess.

Ah, I see. Procedurally, all online drafts are exactly the same
And, in fact, if you aren't a fan of cheat sheets, you'll probably do better at auctions than snake drafts . Don't know what a player's valued at? Well, he's always valued at whatever the most someone in your league wants to bid, of course... That might be right where he is ranked in a cheat sheet or up to 25% more or less...'so you can worry more about getting the players you like and less about when to take them and what to bid.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 22, 2016

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
auction draft, eh???

This is just enough time to study up to figure out what the hell I'm doing in it

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

Drunk Nerds posted:

How about alphabetical by team name but with an exciting twist: We do it in reverse alphabetical order?!

That will be perfect for my team named the ZZZZZZ's

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Best football/beer pun goes first. Sorry guys but De Cam Newton is winning.

~leans back, tips fedora~

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm down for anytime but labor day, Friday, Saturday nights or early mornings or day times.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Best football/beer pun goes first. Sorry guys but De Cam Newton is winning.

~leans back, tips fedora~

Jai Alaiyi, checking in

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
holy poo poo thats a good one

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Bell's Two-Lunged Inhale

Edit: no, now I'm Gurley Pentagram

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 26, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit: no, now I'm Gurley Pentagram

Along the same lines: Gurley, Todd the Axeman

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Awesome names. Loving it.

Just to remind everyone, draft is scheduled for Weds Sept 7th. I will send out a reminder next week - mark your calendars!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Along the same lines: Gurley, Todd the Axeman

They make that too? drat that is a good company
Yeah that name is empirically better than the one I suggested

Pliny the Edelman
Russian Rivers Pliny the Edelman

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 26, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One week from right now, I'll be bidding $99 dollars for Antonio "Sumatra Mountain" Brown

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

One week from right now, I'll be bidding $99 dollars for Antonio "Sumatra Mountain" Brown

Just a few days left...

Looking forward to the draft guys, anyone else have any questions about the league format, the beer shipping, or the auction draft format?

Happy to answer any questions/help as best I can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Not that it matters, but did we decide a draft order?

• Locked thread