Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

dphi posted:

The only other reservation I have is the different experience levels - talking to some friends that switched to auction style last year, the guys that had never done it before ended up with the worst teams since they didn't really understand the strategy as well.

This is my concern. I feel like it's good for the guys who are super into fantasy but for casuals like myself it seems like just another way to gently caress up your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm in a heavily competitive auction league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. 3 of the last 9 years a rookie owner has won the title, despite having little or no auction experience.

There is no way a rookie with no fantasy experience is joining a league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. Your "rookies" are just fantasy pros that have never auctioned before.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Instead of a poll just set up a google calendar and have people mark the days they definitely can't or don't want to do. Everything unmarked is fair game.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Best football/beer pun goes first. Sorry guys but De Cam Newton is winning.

~leans back, tips fedora~

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit: no, now I'm Gurley Pentagram

Along the same lines: Gurley, Todd the Axeman

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

:toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Google hangouts would be good just for the voice chat.

I'm so stoked for the draft. I'm swinging by Tired Hands tonight to pick up more cans of Trendler Pilsner because that seems like a good football beer.

Oh, one question, what happens if you run out of money during the draft?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I plan to be out of money by my 3rd player because I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'll win the league anyway because all the fantasy megapoints allstars will get hurt in the first week and I'll have drafted their unknown backups for $1 each.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

dphi posted:

Are you ditching your strategy of Draft All Eagles?

It worked out pretty great last year!

Last year every round someone would take the player I wanted right before my pick and I'd go into panic mode and draft the next available Eagle because I'd rather be stuck with the devil I know. At least this time I can just overpay for the players I want.

But don't worry, I'm still planning on taking a bunch of Eagles this year!

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 7, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Avenged posted:

I heard good things about Peyton Manning this season.

He's a superbowl champion! How could you go wrong?

Personally, I'm hoping I get Marshawn Lynch. I'm thinking that Beast Mode is gonna have a great year!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I'm in the hangout. Tonight's draft is brought to you by Manor Hill Grisette, Union Craft Brewing Old Pro Gose, and Tired Hands Trendler Pilsner.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I completely hosed myself on this draft. There is a definite learning curve to auction drafting. Even with the cheat sheets (which were basically useless) the people who had auctioned before had a huge advantage.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Drunk Nerds posted:

Couldn't disagree more(well, actually, I do agree that all cheat sheets proved useless). You have the best wrs in the league and a top 3 TE. You rounded it out with a running qb(rg3) and some high catch volume rbs, to give you a high floor in your b-listers, which is exactly what you want. Your bench is unimpressive, but in a 16 team 7 bench spot league literally EVERYONE's bench is doodoo.

You made a plan beforehand, stuck with it, and rounded out your team expertly. The only way that this auction went badly for you is if you didn't have fun doing it

Yeah, I was mostly just bummed about how the end of the draft wasn't very interactive. I spent too much money early on so I had 3 great players that I spent a ton of money on which limited my maximum bid from that point on to $1 so I just had to wait until the end to round out my team.

If I could do it over I wouldn't have spent so much on Olsen and Decker so I could've added some more value players in the later rounds rather than getting stuck with a bunch of $1 players that may or may not ever actually score any points. I'm mostly concerned about my RBs.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

ISO new fantasy app FT beer

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

How the gently caress did they not sit Fitzpatrick after the 3rd INT? Decker comes out of that game with the whopping 3.6 points thanks to lovely turnovers. Actually all my receivers were poo poo this week. I only needed Juilio Jones to have an average game and he completely shits the bed. In what world do we have a 77 point shootout where Juilo Jones finishes with 1 catch for 16 yards? FML.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Does Brian Hoyer count as competent? He's played well so far and I'll let him go for cheap since Wentz is coming back this week.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I tried to takes the trade that someone offered me but you have a problem with your roster so it kept getting rejected. Fix your roster and send it again.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I think it was you. The trade for Hoyer?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Anyone want to take a gamble on Hopkins? I'm done waiting for his numbers to improve but if you can spare a competent RB I'm all ears.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

That trade was the best thing anyone has done in this league all year. It's hilarious.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I should have known better than to play two Chicago players against Green Bay.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Dear Jota, Mikey Purp, and Drunk Nerds,

Remember when I traded Hopkins for Ware and everyone laughed at me? There's a method to my madness.

1) Osweiler is a bad QB as evidenced by being 26th among all QBs in fantasy points. His poor play severely impacts the points potential of Hopkins.

2) Alex Smith is also bad at 24th overall among QBs in Fantasy Points. The difference here is that Ware actually becomes more of an asset the worse Smith plays.

3)
code:
week	Ware	Hopkins	+/-
5	BYE	14.1	-14.1
6	23.3	11.6	+11.7
7	20.1	6.1	+14
8	5.7	6.4	-0.7
9	0	BYE	0
10	8.7	7.3	+1.4
11	9.5	8.3	+1.2
12	10.6	9.5	+1.1
13	18.7	13.3	+5.4

96.6	76.6	+20
In closing,
Suck my butt and have a nice day.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Ware was playing well and putting up good points even while sharing RB duties. He tallied more total points than Hopkins and more importantly his numbers over the first 4 weeks were way more consistent. When I looked at the numbers I was seeing the value of replacing a feast or famine player with someone who could potentially put up the same sort of points but on a more consistent basis. And the fact that Hopkins numbers were entirely reliant on Osweiler is what sealed the deal for me. I'm not saying I foretold the future. I was honestly just thinking it would be a straight up fair trade with Ware putting up the same sorts of numbers but over more of a regular spread. I was also dealing with a logjam at WR with Beasley putting up great numbers and no place on my roster. Meanwhile my RB situation was atrocious. It made perfect sense.

edit - And yes, I was predicting Osweiler would start playing badly. He is not a good QB and I was betting on him playing to his level, which he started to do over the next few weeks.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 6, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I don't think shipping info was sent yet.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Cervixalot posted:

Just a reminder to reach out to your box recipient to open lines of communciation and let them know when you're planning on assembling and shipping your box.

And post your boxes of beer when they arrive so we can be jealous!

I'm shipping your box on Monday. It's all packed and ready to go.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Cervixalot posted:

Awesome, you are the best. Thanks man!

I totally spaced on shipping your box because of the holiday. It will be going out this upcoming Monday.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Cervixalot posted:

Just got a package from HatfulofHollow, who absolutely knocked it out of the park with my box:

A collection from Other Half, Tired Hands, Carton, Oliver Brewing Co, Manor Hill and Forest and Main. I've been dying to try something from Tired Hands for years, and have heard good things about several of the other breweries as well, so I'm super pumped to dig in here.

Thanks so much, HatfulofHollow!

Enjoy man! All the hops are new releases I just had sitting in my fridge along with the manor hill and the oliver, which are two of my favorite shelf turds so I usually have a sixer of both sitting around. I rounded it out with the Coffee Only Void, _______, and Sticky Drippy from my cellar. I opened one of my last COV right before I packed that box just to make sure it was still good to send and it's still quite tasty. Sticky Drippy is one of my favorite TH saisons so I hope you like it. I have 8 more bottles in my cellar because I always max out and trade for it whenever I can.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Wrong thread. Nothing to see here.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

It's not that hard. I can do it if you want. But I have faith in your abilities to read and click buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Is a new thread going up?

• Locked thread