Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Fancy football, y'all!
Torn ligaments ain't nuthin' but a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Baldrash posted:

All aboard for football and beer!

Continuing the conversation from the previous thread, I'd prefer auction to snake for most of the reasons people described before: keeps people engaged, gives everyone fair crack at the best players, etc. The extra 20 minutes is well worth it; just start a draft at 7:30 instead of 8.

In another league:

Me: We should do auction
My friend: That will take like 2 hours instead of 45 minutes!
Me: Yeah!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This is my concern. I feel like it's good for the guys who are super into fantasy but for casuals like myself it seems like just another way to gently caress up your team.

I'm in a heavily competitive auction league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. 3 of the last 9 years a rookie owner has won the title, despite having little or no auction experience. If you make a monthly expense budget for your real life, you have more than enough experience to do well

Either way, I'm happy. All of my other leagues are auction, so a draft league would be different in probably a good way.

When is the draft?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

There is no way a rookie with no fantasy experience is joining a league that costs several hundred dollars to enter. Your "rookies" are just fantasy pros that have never auctioned before.

"rookie Owners" as in "owners who are new to the league." Owners are as good at auction as they are at snake, and new people don't really gently caress up their teams.

I understand the concern though, with all those numbers flying around an auction, it can feel like there are more ways to gently caress up your team. But actually, there are a lot less. In a snake draft I can blow my first two picks by grabbing horrible players and have to play catch up all year. But in auction, horrible players won't draw a lot of bidding, so I could make some horrible selections yet I'd still have like 98% of my budget left afterward.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 2, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Closing the poll in 2.5 hours... Don't forget to cast your vote for league and draft format!

Next up, scheduling the draft. Any other rules or we need to look at prior to getting the draft scheduled?

FAAB is a given, as far as I'm concerned.

Faab rules.
I may have voted twice by accident. Sorry!
I am quite excited to hear the finalized rules and format, and participate in this cool league no matter what the results

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 5, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

The polls are closed, and the votes are in!

Minus Drunk Nerds double vote, 13 teams voted, and here are the results:

Auction Draft: 8 Votes
Snake Draft: 5 Votes

Looks like we will be moving forward with an auction draft. More information to come on tips, strategies and some helpful resources for you all. Protip: if I'm not mistaken, Beer4theBeerGods includes auction values in his sheets.

IDP:

Yes: 2 Votes
No: 11 Votes

As such, we will be sticking with offensive players only.

I'll put together a Doodle poll or survey to get together a date. Any objections with setting a date in the next few weeks, or do folks prefer to wait until the preason games are mostly done?

If we are all available after preseason games are done, yeah that's preferable. But I understand there are logistics Involved that might make this impossible.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Instead of a poll just set up a google calendar and have people mark the days they definitely can't or don't want to do. Everything unmarked is fair game.

This is a great idea, and usually is the most elegant way to get something like this done. However, it doesn't work for larger leagues: It's quite likely there could be NO time when all 16 of us are available, so then the commish needs poll results to figure out "okay, well the most people can attend at such-and-such time, so we'll do that."

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 12, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Whenever this person can do it, that's when I want to do it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Only times when I absolutely can't make a 7 PM EST or later time slot are August 2 (have an auction from 9-12 PM EST) and August 5th (auction from 6-9 EST).

Those are the only two windows I couldn't rearrange things to make happen

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Has anyone said "ISO fantasy... Can't you taste this gold," yet?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Thanks for being flexible, guys. Sounds like we have 12 confirmed for Wednesday the 7th, with just dphi and a few others to check in.

Any objections if we move forward with scheduling the draft for that date, at least tentatively? I'll update in the ESPN league calendar, but please let me know ASAP if you absolutely cannot make that date.

All good with 7 PM EST start time, or would 8 work better? Assume the draft will take 3-4 hours.

7 PM is a lot harder for me, because that's 4 PM my time and it's harder to get off work that early. I can still do that, but I sure would prefer 8 PM EST

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

Ugh, I've actually got another draft scheduled for 9pm EST on that night. Was hoping to swing it with minimal overlap if this one started at 7pm EST, but if we move it up much more that's going to be really hard.

Why did you click "available" on the "8-12" time period when you had another draft at 9? There must be something I'm missing here.

Anyway, I don't want you to miss a draft. If it's the only option, I can do 7 EST.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 19, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

Well, there were doodles going around for the other draft at the same time and it hadn't been finalized yet. I didn't realize that both leagues had decided on the same day and nearly the same time until today. Sorry about that.

I'll recruit my wife to manage the first few rounds of the other draft if need be, but if we can keep this one at 7 without screwing up your situation too much that would be cool.

Yeah, it's tough trying to juggle multiple unsettled league times for sure. I have four leagues this year, all auctions, and I just had to pray they each fell on different days.

It's cool, my wife is also surprisingly awesome at being understanding about my fantasy schedule, and will take off work an hour early to watch the kids so we can do 7:00.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

So still tentatively sticking with Wednesday the 7th at 7 or 8 PM EST. Seems like our best bet with the most folks available, and hopefully we can figure out which time works best for everyone, chime in if you have an opinion/preference.

One backup option:

Wednesday the 31st we also had 9 people check 'yes', so if Mikey Purp,
Spacejung, Avenged and Retemnav can swing that date, we could shift. Let me know what you guys think.

I'm confused. By my count at least 14/16 people can do Wednesday the 7th. That's pretty amazing, getting that many people together. So under what circumstances would we need a backup date where only 9 people have said yes?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Since it sounds like Mikey Purp can swing the 7th, we're going with it. Locked and loaded. Nevermind what I just said.

Now, what fun ways can we devise to determine nomination order?

How about alphabetical by team name but with an exciting twist: We do it in reverse alphabetical order?!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

So is there a good link that covers the basics of auction drafting, specific to how ours will go? I know there's a lot of info out there and I get the gist of it, just looking for something recommended by you guys.

Here's the best one out there, in my humble (but with 16 years of auction experience) opinion:
http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2016/preseason/fantasy-football-auction-draft-strategy

As for "specific" to how ours will go... there's no way to know the specifics. Obviously you can do a espn mock auction to learn the procedure. However, there's no way to predict what people will throw down when we actually belly up to the table on September 7th. That's the beauty of auction.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

I just meant in terms of drafting rules, etc. Wasn't sure if there were different ways to do auction drafts or not so I didn't want to read a guide that wasn't as applicable. Thanks for the link.

I'm not a big fan of using cheat sheets but I'll probably have to this time around to get a better idea of player values I guess.

Ah, I see. Procedurally, all online drafts are exactly the same
And, in fact, if you aren't a fan of cheat sheets, you'll probably do better at auctions than snake drafts . Don't know what a player's valued at? Well, he's always valued at whatever the most someone in your league wants to bid, of course... That might be right where he is ranked in a cheat sheet or up to 25% more or less...'so you can worry more about getting the players you like and less about when to take them and what to bid.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 22, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Bell's Two-Lunged Inhale

Edit: no, now I'm Gurley Pentagram

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 26, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Along the same lines: Gurley, Todd the Axeman

They make that too? drat that is a good company
Yeah that name is empirically better than the one I suggested

Pliny the Edelman
Russian Rivers Pliny the Edelman

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 26, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One week from right now, I'll be bidding $99 dollars for Antonio "Sumatra Mountain" Brown

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
:toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

So pumped. I've noticed that my 12 team auction was way easier than my 14 team one this year. That extra $400 in the pot really matters. So, I'm excited to see how tooth-and-nail the fight for players will be with 16

Are we going to goonchat or something?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Are we going to goonchat or something?

Unless someone has a better idea, I'll make a Google hangouts and post the link in here

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It worked out pretty great last year!

Last year every round someone would take the player I wanted right before my pick and I'd go into panic mode and draft the next available Eagle because I'd rather be stuck with the devil I know. At least this time I can just overpay for the players I want.

But don't worry, I'm still planning on taking a bunch of Eagles this year!

That's the beauty of auction: Someone will never, ever snake the player you wanted. You want a guy,? Get him.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Golden Road's Wolf Pup, here. Only session IPA that really manages to pack a hoppy punch

GOOGLE HANGOUTS LINK

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/5qx6rkamnfabnkwkzbxkbqea6ie?authuser=0&hl=en

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Super loving fun, you guys. I laughed my rear end off. Thanks for having me in the league, I hope everyone has a competitive season

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I completely hosed myself on this draft. There is a definite learning curve to auction drafting. Even with the cheat sheets (which were basically useless) the people who had auctioned before had a huge advantage.

Couldn't disagree more(well, actually, I do agree that all cheat sheets proved useless). You have the best wrs in the league and a top 3 TE. You rounded it out with a running qb(rg3) and some high catch volume rbs, to give you a high floor in your b-listers, which is exactly what you want. Your bench is unimpressive, but in a 16 team 7 bench spot league literally EVERYONE's bench is doodoo.

You made a plan beforehand, stuck with it, and rounded out your team expertly. The only way that this auction went badly for you is if you didn't have fun doing it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Yeah, I was mostly just bummed about how the end of the draft wasn't very interactive. I spent too much money early on so I had 3 great players that I spent a ton of money on which limited my maximum bid from that point on to $1 so I just had to wait until the end to round out my team.

One of the things I noticed this year is that, due to the growing popularity of internet auction coverage, $1 sleepers aren't a thing anymore. For about 15 years, getting $1 players has been a quite viable auction option, but now that everyone is trying it, $1 won't buy poo poo anymore. As such, I'd estimate 2/3 of people in auctions, this year, leaned on getting $1 players and found out the hard way that this no longer works. So it's not "I hosed up my auction" but rather "An overwhelmingly popular and successful strategy just departed, leaving 60-70% of players in the lurch."

The good news is that you still got a few deec players with $1 bids, which is more than most got. Since this was such a viable option up until this year, It will take a few years for the mainstream curve to notice this and buck a trend that has been viable since the beginning of fantasy football auctions, so you are going to be ahead of the game next year when you don't lean on getting good players for $1, but everyone else is like "look man this has worked for 16 of the last 17 years, so I'm sticking with it!"

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Congrats, Hyde your Whalez. We had a barn burner last week.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

railroad terror posted:

Why didn't I just bid a couple more dollars on spencer ware??? Why???

In my big money league I benched Gordon for ware. Then Gordon comes out and scores two early touchdowns while Kansas City abandons the running game. I was kicking myself! But for some reason KC preferred throwing it to Ware instead of West and my switch turned out to be the right move

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is that trade? Ware for Hopkins? Ridiculous

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I lost to this quarterback, this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiAy8XuS8R4

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

It's hilarious how barren the WW is RB-wise in a 16-team league with big benches.

Hey, I'm looking to move CJ Anderson or Melvin Gordon for a comparable WR... make me an offer.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This league, man:

- 2 games separate first place from 14th place
- 14th place is 4-5
- In the west, the 2nd and 3rd highest scoring teams are 6th and 7th place
- I was in 14th place. I then won 3 straight games, rocketing me all the way up to... 13th place
- Six teams tied for best record
- Second highest scoring team in the whole league has a losing record

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 11, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

I say leave the line-up as is since people have already gotten free wins against him.

Agreed, and this is speaking as someone who already got an auto-win out of him

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Dang, nice win Drunk Nerds. That Ted Ginn bomb TD...

Love the name change, Zam.

So I wasn't able to find a way for us to feasibly give the top 2 teams a bye in an 8 team playoff. Any ideas? We had to go with no byes last year, and it's not ideal, but I'm struggling to think of how to fix it.

Thanks, yeah that crazy ginn bomb made me dragon punch my ceiling
Started 1-5, then went 5-1 and on the playoff bubble!

Agreed that there's no real way to give people byes in the first round in an 8 playoff scenario

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Simplest way is to two get byes and then there are two matches between three people with one winner in the first round, but that is far from elegant

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Provided Dwayne Allen doesn't turn into a rocketship and score 23 points, I should sneak into the playoffs after starting the season 1-5.

I will then drop Kaepernick and pee on his body

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Provided Dwayne Allen doesn't turn into a rocketship and score 23 points, I should sneak into the playoffs after starting the season 1-5.

I will then drop Kaepernick and pee on his body

WHYYYYYYYYYY????!!!! loving COVER DWAYNE ALLEN HE IS OPEN FOR TOUCHDOWNS

I still have room, Allen "only" has 15.8 points, which gives me 6.7 to spare... damb Allen Why?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Dear Jota, Mikey Purp, and Drunk Nerds,

Remember when I traded Hopkins for Ware and everyone laughed at me? There's a method to my madness.

1) Osweiler is a bad QB as evidenced by being 26th among all QBs in fantasy points. His poor play severely impacts the points potential of Hopkins.

2) Alex Smith is also bad at 24th overall among QBs in Fantasy Points. The difference here is that Ware actually becomes more of an asset the worse Smith plays.

3)
code:
week	Ware	Hopkins	+/-
5	BYE	14.1	-14.1
6	23.3	11.6	+11.7
7	20.1	6.1	+14
8	5.7	6.4	-0.7
9	0	BYE	0
10	8.7	7.3	+1.4
11	9.5	8.3	+1.2
12	10.6	9.5	+1.1
13	18.7	13.3	+5.4

96.6	76.6	+20
In closing,
Suck my butt and have a nice day.

Yeah that ended up a great trade, well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Second year in a row of leading in PF and getting knocked out of the playoffs early. At least I secured myself one box of beer?

Hey I remember you saying that the consolation bracket winner gets a box? Is that correct?

Just loving the irony after that epic meltdown because Dwayne Allen utterly hosed me out of a playoff-spot comeback... I might win the box whcih would mean that Dwayne Allen actually loving me over, in fact, won me a box.

It would also mean that someone lost in the consolation bracket to an 0-13 team, which is further proof that existence is a meaningless joke

• Locked thread