Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Maroon Hawk posted:

tie cops to cannons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Amy has literally one proper scene with Shadow and a minor one mistaking him for Sonic then running away, they are definitely just replacing her with the human cast for that. Otherwise she just hangs around in the background for the entire game, and unless they give her a major rewrite that's all she'd end up doing in the movie as well.

I guess they could surprise me there but I imagine there'll be enough going on without them adding another character, and if they're adding anyone besides Shadow then it has to be Rouge.

True, but you've still gotta give her credit though, she somehow got to Prison Island before Tails and I don't think she even has a homing attack or light speed dash.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amy got to the high-security government black site on a remote island in the middle of the pacific(?) ocean all on her own using the power of love.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well if you must know, she caught a ride with Tails

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

True, but you've still gotta give her credit though, she somehow got to Prison Island before Tails and I don't think she even has a homing attack or light speed dash.

KingKalamari posted:

Even when she's being written badly, the one character trait everyone can agree on is that Amy is inexplicably powerful...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Krysten's playing a human

A 'Captain Rockwell', probably a member of GUN

People are hoping she's a Topaz expy and Rouge shows up too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So, uh. Remember Penny's Big Breakaway? That game that was announced by the creators of Sonic Mania and then just went kinda quiet and never got a release date?

Well, we have a release date.

https://twitter.com/EveningStarStdo/status/1760303368730218621

It's about 20 minutes ago.

RareAcumen posted:

After Frontiers we have her full moveset and we can safely conclude that she jump-floated there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in 06 she had the power to turn invisible

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic's cop dad is gonna provide the exposition about the space colony ark because his grandfather was there. fifty years ago...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

So, uh. Remember Penny's Big Breakaway? That game that was announced by the creators of Sonic Mania and then just went kinda quiet and never got a release date?

After Frontiers we have her full moveset and we can safely conclude that she jump-floated there.

gently caress yeah!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We didn’t get a release date for the Generations remake during today’s Nintendo Direct did we?

Edit: Seems like we didn’t but I assume they’ll put something on Twitter before long now

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 21, 2024

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

MJeff posted:

Oh man, I am getting some major Dynamite Heddy vibes from this game's art style and I love it!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MJeff posted:

gently caress yeah!!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shadow: You make a good point, but I’ve made so many mistakes already. How can I be sure trusting you isn’t another?
Sonic Dad: I’m a cop, people trust us with their lives every day. We’re all about correcting mistakes and justice.
Shadow: Justice…

Sonic Dad holds out his hand. Shadow stares at it tentatively. Quick cut to Shadow’s hand shaking Sonic Dad’s.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 21, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Shadow: You make a good point, but I’ve made so many mistakes already. How can I be sure trusting you isn’t another?
Sonic Dad: I’m a cop, people trust us with their lives every day. We’re all about correcting mistakes and justice.
Shadow: Justice…

Sonic Dad holds out his hand. Shadow stares at it tentatively. Quick cut to Shadow’s hands shaking Sonic Dad’s.

I am 90% positive this is going to happen now. Alternatively he finds a message from Maria herself or is confronted by the GUN soldier who shot her (in Sonic X the guy quit the military and his life fell apart afterwards but he did ultimately help get the truth out so it’s possible they could do something similar here)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They’ve minimized the fact Tom and Wade are cops significantly. I can’t see their job being important to the plot of Sonic 3, and acting like Tom will be the crux of emotional moments is weird considering Sonic was the one to win over Knuckles in the last movie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yeah, pretty sure the blue hedgehog who lost everything is going to bond with the black hedgehog who's lost everything

(And Tom is there too, in a capsule getting launched at earth and then he somehow uses chaos control and-)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Amy was already an established character when she had her moment with Shadow. You could introduce her in Sonic 3 and still have her do that, but man, that's a lot of new characters and concepts to introduce in a single movie that's probably gonna be two hours tops.

Makes me wonder exactly how much heavy lifting Knuckles is gonna be doing to lay groundwork for Sonic 3.

Vinylshadow posted:

Yeah, pretty sure the blue hedgehog who lost everything is going to bond with the black hedgehog who's lost everything

(And Tom is there too, in a capsule getting launched at earth and then he somehow uses chaos control and-)

It is true that Movie Sonic is uniquely much more qualified to bond with Shadow over his loss and help him see the truth of what Maria wanted than Game Sonic ever was. Longclaw is basically Sonic's Maria.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MJeff posted:

Amy was already an established character when she had her moment with Shadow. You could introduce her in Sonic 3 and still have her do that, but man, that's a lot of new characters and concepts to introduce in a single movie that's probably gonna be two hours tops.

Yeah, considering the movie is already almost certain to involve outer space and the ARK, I think they’ll probably avoid introducing too many new faces

quote:

Longclaw is basically Sonic's Maria.

Ooooh, I like this!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, as I said you’d have to introduce movie Amy for the first time and give her a decent subplot to establish her character on top of the stuff she does in SA2. It feels like it’d make the movie a little bloated so I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut her out

Rouge seems like less of an issue though as she plays a bigger role in Shadow’s story, would be pretty easy to set up, and probably give Knuckles something to do on top of all that

Sonic being the one to get through to Shadow like he did with Knuckles could actually work pretty well though come to think of it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You kinda already did the "You're just like me, we both lost stuff :(" thing with Sonic and Knuckles, so it might feel a little repetitive, but I also don't think there's necessarily a problem with making the underlying current of these movies be that all of these guys experienced loss and all isolated themselves to varying degrees as a result, but are able to connect to each other and be heroes by relating their loss to each other. Not a bad little theme for a buncha kids movies about talkin' rats.

As for Tom, I know we would like to fantasize about something that inverts his role as a police officer from the first movie by forcing him to confront the way that kind of power is used to abuse and suppress truth by connecting him to what happened to G.U.N. and Maria, but I think that's a pipe dream. Tom will probably just remain a secondary character, a mentor figure to Sonic and him being a cop will just go unmentioned.

It wouldn't surprise me if they kill him off eventually, because as these movies get deeper into the Sonic lore, "Sonic's two human parental figures", as charismatically acted as they are, become rrrrreeeeeeal superfluous narratively.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 21, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They already had a significantly lesser role in Sonic 2 so I wouldn’t be surprised either if the humans sink further into the background/get written out entirely as things go on

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

They already had a significantly lesser role in Sonic 2 so I wouldn’t be surprised either if the humans sink further into the background/get written out entirely as things go on

Y'know, despite what I just said, I do mostly agree, but. Even when Sonic 2 was very clearly trying to deemphasize them, it still cared about them enough to include them in the climax and make them the impetus for Sonic to go Super. So maybe the movies do still care about them a little more than we're giving credit for.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Shadow should have an evil hologram family of Maria and Gerald brainwashing him into destroying the world and Sonic has to convince him that real people and real family are more important

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I just hope they leave Knuckles' role in the story completely unchanged and he just spends most of the story wandering around aimlessly while sick jazz rap plays.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what I wanna know is why everyone jokes about Olive Garden Guy being the one to shoot Maria

The GUN Commander has never been the one to do that, right? He just ratted out Gerald and brought the troops to the ARK, if I remember correctly.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

what I wanna know is why everyone jokes about Olive Garden Guy being the one to shoot Maria

The GUN Commander has never been the one to do that, right? He just ratted out Gerald and brought the troops to the ARK, if I remember correctly.

I mean it’s not exactly unheard of for movie adaptations to change certain details from the source content to fit the medium of movies better

Having Olive Garden Guy shoot Maria would definitely be way more dramatic and impactful that some random grunt

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I mean it’s not exactly unheard of for movie adaptations to change certain details from the source content to fit the medium of movies better

Having Olive Garden Guy shoot Maria would definitely be way more dramatic and impactful that some random grunt

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Mister_Schmitz

His name was Mr. Schmitz.

I'd rather have this guy get adapted than an inherently comedic character get made into a murderer.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think you’re putting a lot of thought into what I’m assuming was just someone going “lol what if the Olive Garden guy killed Maria”

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You're also assuming that Biggest Olive Garden Fan being the killer would ruin the joke and not be an incredible punchline.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think you’re putting a lot of thought into what I’m assuming was just someone going “lol what if the Olive Garden guy killed Maria”

it just seemed like people were under the impression GUN Commander did it, but yer probably right

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

penny's big breakaway is pretty fun so far, tho the controls can be a bit fiddly if you want to pull off tricks and stuff. probably best not to worry about your score or collecting everything your first time through the stages and just go at your own pace.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

KingKalamari posted:

I just hope they leave Knuckles' role in the story completely unchanged and he just spends most of the story wandering around aimlessly while sick jazz rap plays.

Pumpkin Hill better be established as a real place that exists on our planet.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic:_The_Movie_(Trilogy_Entertainment_film)

Here's the PDF of the 1994 Sonic movie pitch.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://x.com/oceanmanx3/status/1765354147736347108?s=46

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This is a really good post and I'd probably say Sonic Adventure, final answer.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I'm Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral on this. I believe in Handhelds.

I was kinda hoping Sonic Pocket Adventure would be in this somewhere but the current options are already kinda perfect.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sonic Pocket Adventure is weird cause it's a weird mishmash of S1/2/3. It'd feel wrong to call it a 4. Maybe Chaotic Neutral?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, advance, adventure and 4 cannot be the real sonic 4 because they all star modern sonic. Mania and superstars are way too recent, it's got to be something contemporary with the original. Triple trouble and 3d blast aren't mainline games, so they're out too. God help me, I think I'm leaning chaotic evil on this one. You can't say that Sonic CD isn't a mainline sonic game, and if that's a mainline game then the mainline games that came after it must add +1 to their numbers

The question now is, is Sonic 2 the actual sonic 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

flavor.flv posted:

Okay, advance, adventure and 4 cannot be the real sonic 4 because they all star modern sonic.

Counterpoint: Adventure is a canonical sequel to Sonic 3+K that directly references the events of that game and Sonic’s original Dreamcast model has more in common with his 16-bit design than he does with his current modern design